National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency

National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

Leading the Intelligence Community in Geospatial Analysis/Production
Staff Officer (Current Employee), Springfield, VAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: State of the Art facility
Cons: The wheels of government are slow
Great place to work and learn. Enjoy working with so many professionals who are dedicated in contributing to National Security goals.
Opportunities and Growth
Army DIMA Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Springfield, VADecember 25, 2014
Pros: career growth potential
Excellent collaboration among coworkers and resources. Busy all day. Several opportunities to attend a variety of classes.
Efficient and Concise Collaboration
Source Strategies Analyst (Current Employee), Springfield, VAAugust 29, 2014
Daily operations are systematic with a clear vision and goal set that meets the needs of the interests of National Security.
Nice new facilities
Program Management Execution Officer (Current Employee), Springfield, VAAugust 21, 2014
Government facility. Strong heirarchical management structure. New building.
Great co-workers, fascinating work, casual atmosphere and dress code,chance to support U. S. military, decent pay, great health insurance
Cartographer, GS-11-8 (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, interesting job duties, casual atmosphere and dress code, frequent office parties and recreational lunches out for holidays, completion of fiscal year's projects, etc, fabulous healthcare benefits.opportunity to support u. s. military forces
Cons: rotating shifts, sketchy training, hit-and-miss management
Working at the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency was (I'm retired) just about the best job a person could have this side of winning the lottery. Given that a lot of the work I did there was overhead photographic interpretation, using many different computer hardware and software platforms to generate hard-copy maps and digital map data for the United States Armed Forces from the features seen on the imagery, often of potentially hostile territory, and the secret to top-secret security clearance required for most of the careers at this agency, it was a very glamorous job that often made one feel like a character from a James Bond movie. I learned not only photographic interpretation at that job, but how to lay out the body and legend of a paper map. It was on that job that I learned how to use a personal computer; Windows was the operating system for one of the computer graphics manipulation and editing platforms I used, and I learned Word and Outlook to use the office personal computers to write reports and communicate with personnel via e-mail. Got my geography degree during four very enjoyable years at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville after enrolling in it to see if I could pick up more info about map-making, and a taste of higher-level math from some geodesy courses taken on-site after work hours through the agency and from a semester of Long-Term Full Time Training at Ohio State University. Along with the spy-movie glamor of the nature of the work, the next most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers; they were smart as whips, had great senses of – more... humor, and there was an almost family-like camaraderie among the workers. The casual atmosphere and dress code were also great; for civilian employees, blue jeans, T-shirts and sneakers were the norm. Hardest parts of the job, for me, were learning all aspects of how to use a computer in the first place; I was a bit of a technological fossil, and to this day am not that great at surfing the 'Net; in fact, I retired when the duties of the job changed from production of data to primarily Internet research when data production got contracted out to private-sector companies. Switching back and forth between first and second shift every two weeks was mighty tough, especially since I had killer insomnia and a long commute. Management and job training were pretty hit-and-miss. The managers, like the "worker bees", were smart, hard-working, nice people, but the management/production gears never seemed to mesh, so to speak, probably at least in part because of the constant reorganizations and realignments that shuffled personnel around all the time. – less
Department of Defense
Source Strategies Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 29, 2014
Great place to work, nice new building. It has been a pleasure working for NGA.
Friendly and Versatile
Secretary (Current Employee), Springfield, VAJune 12, 2014
This building is full of diversity, which is great. We can all learn from one another and they do believe in education and physical fitness.
Great Place To Work, keeping the Nation safe and
TE (application services) Deputy Director (Current Employee), Newington, VAMay 5, 2014
Wonderful Building to work in and keeping our nation safe and secure.
Interesting place
Senior Imagery Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.April 8, 2014
It has been years and I just can't comment. Supposedly a great new facility and lots of interesting new opportunities. If they fixed the culture clash between the blue collar functions and the academic elite than it is probably a great place to be.
Cubicle City
Deputy Division Chief, Operations and Sustainment (Current Employee), VirginiaMarch 3, 2014
Pros: new work environment
Cons: too much hierarchy
Work at NGA is typical of a cubicle environment. There is a great view of the city from the building I work in. Getting around in the building requires a lot of walking, but it is laid out in a logical way.
Interesting job from day to day
Federal Police Officer (Current Employee), Springfield, VAMarch 3, 2014
My days can go from calm, slow and steady to hectic in a moments notice. Learning to cope or manage the stress is always continually evolving. My co-workers are (for the most part) fun and interesting with their families and or life styles.
unbalanced management
Senior Video Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Springfield, VAFebruary 7, 2014
too many contractor "advisors". The most difficult part of this job was to engineer to unwritten expectations.
It was a decent place to work
Maritime Analyst (Former Employee), Springfield, VAJanuary 9, 2014
Overall, great place to work. You come in and everyone is extremely friendly and the place has a family atmosphere. This sometimes shows through the lack of professionalism at times. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inconsistent management and no clear guidelines on what is expected of you.
Professional and challenging environment
Investigator (Current Employee), Springfield, VANovember 6, 2013
Pros: independence and work/life balance
Cons: commute
Very professional environment from the management team to the co-workers.
Overall Mission
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJune 26, 2013
Excellent place to work; awesome mission; very rewarding.
NCE
Facility Engineer (Current Employee), Springfield, VAMarch 3, 2013
Pros: great mission
Cons: limited parking
Beautiful new campus in Springfield, VA

Satisfying mission
Very productive agency
Multimedia Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee), VAFebruary 13, 2013
Excellent place to work. The management is career oriented. They will help you to avance your career.
Diverse and Productive Environment
Metrics and Analysis Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, VANovember 4, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours
Management is very understanding of the needs of the employee. The workload is very flexible and manageable. Learning is an endless possibility. The culture is intriguing and very professional.
Challenging and educational workplace with hardworking and dedicated people.
Principal Program Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Belvoir, VASeptember 25, 2012
Pros: learning about the diversity of the intelligence field.
I thoroughly enjoyed working at NGA, although NGA was the site that I worked at via my parent company MCR Inc. NGA was a workplace that brought together so many smart people and it was where I looked forward to going to work everyday. What I learned while working there added immensely to my knowledge base of how the world is/was viewed from a foreign perspective. I can honestly say that the most difficult part of the job was having to rise from bed at 4:30 a.m. to arrive to work for a morning briefing. The enjoyment was interacting with everyone after arrival.
Very Professional Environment
Systems Administrator V (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 26, 2012
Pros: very secure environment
Cons: hard to find parking
Very busy every day to include the daily primary tasks. Always have to be ready for anything.

National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Salaries