National Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,837 reviews matching the search
Great company that provides you with a great career and exceptional job skills.
Senior Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2016
Texas Army National Guard is one of the best organization to work for. After serving 8 years of active duty I joined Texas Army National Guard and it provided me with an opportunity to be a full time employee. The (AGR) active guard reserve is one of the best jobs in the Texas Army National job. I started my career and ended my Career because of retirement and I could not have met some of the best soldiers and friends. My work week started at 0700 until 1730 Monday thru Friday. A typical drill weekend began around 0700 until 1630.
Pros
Discounts, free lunches, health benefits, guaranteed paycheck.
Cons
Long hours at time, deployments, extensive training.
Military w/out as much of the nonsense
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 7, 2016
The military is generally what you make of it, and what base you are at. The benefit to the guard is that you can choose where you go. If you find out that the base is not enjoyable, or you don't like the military all that much, you do not have to deal with that full time. On the other side of things if you enjoy your base and the military there are generally plenty of volunteer opportunities or ways to maximize your military service.

The guard allows you to maintain your civilian dreams and pursue careers at home, and still serve your country. You also get many wonderful benefits that your recruiter would be more than happy to tell you about.

Again, its what you make of it.
Pros
Pick your home. Pursue career of choosing. Great benefits.
Cons
Depending on your feelings: the stresses involved with the military.
Provides excellent stability, leadership, benefits and discipline
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKMarch 30, 2016
I love my career in the army. It has turned me from a troubled youth into a productive and disciplined member of the armed forces. I have developed many skills that i can apply to my civilian life and job in the civilian world. I would not have ever been able to get the training and work ethic I have if not for the Army. I get the opportunity to train not only myself but the next generation of soldiers entering our armed forces which is a great feeling. I love the attitude and motivation from a day at work but most important I love the brotherhood.
Pros
Benefits, Attitude, Motivation, Service
Cons
Not a lifelong career
Strive to find balance with personal and professional
Cannon Crew member Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLFebruary 1, 2016
Ten years serving in the Florida Army National Guard; dealt with one deployment and overall a good place to work. The key is to do research on the unit before you get there. Similar to other large bureaucratic organizations, the FLARNG is adapting to recent changes at higher headquarters to coordinate training objectives to reflect its dual mission. Generally, weekend drills are long and drawn out but the camaraderie and personal contribution is worth it. Deployments are still occurring, yet less frequently and the promotion process is slower than its active duty counterparts. Great benefits regarding medical/dental and life insurance. Additional benefits in education are attractive as well.
Pros
Benefits, Esprit de corps, patriotism, potential retirement
Cons
long hours during drill weekend/annual training, commuting travel to and from drill, additional requirements between drills
It's the military, so....
civilian technician (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 17, 2016
Work/life balance can be difficult even as a Guardsman because you must answer to civilian employer, the Governor, and even the Federal Government. Drill schedules can be odd and in leadership roles your responsibilities extend beyond typical duty times. I was with the Colorado Army National Guard, but I do not have much positive to say about the leadership culture. During my time there was entirely too little oversight and when there was it was heavy-handed and often misdirected. Opportunities can be virtually unlimited if you actively seek advancement and skills are highly favored in the civilian sector. Overall, I am proud of my service and learned a lot despite the challenges and would recommend service so long as the right attitude is in place.
Pros
Service to Country, Training, Experience, Benefits
Cons
Local leadership, work/life balance
Active Team work environment
Motor Transport Specialist (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 19, 2016
Being the Guard is a unique experience. Sure every service has it's pros and cons along with it's appeal but only in the Guard can you give back to your nation, but also your community and have the distinction that most sailors, marines, airmen, and others do not have- being involved with your community from the ground up, and actually being there for the community if and when the need arises.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Promotions
Cons
Training tempo
Proud to serve not only our country but state and community
CBRN Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2016
I have learned so much through being in the military. I believe they have given me a plethora of skills that will be useful in my future career. I love the people I work with, they make serving fun. The hardest part of the job is when I have to go away for weeks for training, but it can also be a lot of fun. In my 4 years in I have had both good leaders and ones who could have been better. Over all I am glad to have had this opportunity to serve.
Pros
Great people, good education benifits.
Cons
Long days
Productive work environment with close nit group
Bridge Crewmember (12C) (Current Employee) –  Abbeville, SCFebruary 14, 2016
A typical day, depending on your job title, is spent doing military training. You learn values for life and for work alike, and you are well trained in your field of expertise. During your time in the military you will be trained on combat readiness, and how to care out operations pertaining to your specific MOS. The hardest part about this job is the time you may have to spend away from home, training ranging from a couple of day to a couple of week, deployments that can be as long a a year. The best part about this job is the pride you have serving your country and the quality people you work with.
Benefits
Cons
Potential danger and time away from home
Excellent benefits
Battalion Logistics Operations NCO (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, MOFebruary 6, 2016
Working full time for the Army National Guard is a great job that has real meaning. Work/life balance works out fine. There are slow times and fast times such as National or State disasters, Annual Training, and drill weekends, but during the week there are opportunities to use your leave on occasion. The atmosphere is professional and friendly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Advancement is extremely slow
its a great place for growth, team-building & success.
Automated Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Blackstone, VAMarch 17, 2016
Its a great place for growth, team-building & success. its great giving & taking orders, building success & helping clients daily & yearly! It can be tough sometimes but we all stay motivated & encouraging each other & succeeding all tasks!. the most rewarding thing about our service is making a difference & continuing to support our clients & assisting them acheive their goals 24/7 yearly!
Pros
leadership & benefits
Its a very diverse working environment.
94 Alpha Electronic Missile Systems Repairer (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAFebruary 22, 2016
- A typical day at work involves inventory and service checks on military vehicles and equipment. We also attended classes.
- I learned how to work in a team, respect others opinions and views, and be disciplined.
- Leadership is decent but has room for improvement
- The most enjoyable part of the job is gaining new experiences with great people.
Benefits
Cons
Bad time management
Tough career but very rewarding.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2016
I learned a lot being an Infantryman in the Army National Guard, but it is also a very tough and stressful job at times. It's tough but rewarding and has the management and co-workers (soldiers) to help you get what needs to be done done. This job comes with a sign on bonus, many great benefits, job security, and helps you become a more organized, responsible, and overall better person.
Pros
Experience, benifits, great team members, very rewarding towards your life and future career.
Cons
Very tough at times (mentally and physically).
Great Benefits
Visual Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMarch 8, 2016
Good place to work if you are up to the challenge. Can be long days and late nights but the mission must always come first. The management can be good or bad. Always a chance to prove yourself. Depending on your rank, the pay can be very good and the benefits are very nice.
Pros
steady pay
Cons
can be long hours
HR in the National Guard
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Its been very educational. I've learned a lot but the career progression is a long and strenuous process. I have done work to far exceed my rank and grade. Once a job is no longer challenging to me, it is time for me to move on. I have been at this job for going on 8 years in October 2016 and not had 1 disciplinary action. I am looking to expand my skills, my knowledge and most importantly my life as a Human Resource Specialist.
Pros
Flexible work schedule due to senority
Cons
benefits and pay
A perfect balance of being a Citizen and being a Soldier!
Citizen Soldier (Current Employee) –  Riverton, UTJanuary 14, 2016
I joined the Utah Army National Guard while I was a senior at West Jordan High School. I wanted to serve but still be able to accomplish my personal goals such as a career and earning my college degree.

The National Guard provided me with excellent training, a resume with skills that no civilian can match, as well as excellent benefits for school.

I truly enjoy the health benefits, I can't find anything more affordable that covers everything!
Pros
HEALTH BENEFITS! Pay, training, being a part of a team!
A once in a lifetime experience
Soldier-HR SPEC/MILITARY POLICE (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXMarch 29, 2016
This box is too small to describe the life of a soldier. If your truely deeply interested in what life is like..Speak to a real soldier or better yet..Talk to a Veteran.
Pros
Benefits, character building, respect building, advance weapon training, strength building
Cons
Long time away from home, major strain on your body, will test yourself and faith
Maine Recruting and Retention Battalion is a great place to work for.
Recruit Sustainment Program Admin Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, ME 04330March 14, 2016
A typical day working for the Maine Recruiting and Retention Battalion consists of reviewing current Nation Guard members files and new incoming National Guard soldiers files making sure everything is properly filled out with the correct information. Ensuring all documents are e-mailed or mailed or brought over to the respective offices so all documentation is properly filed, making sure the soldier is getting paid and all proper benefits are being received by the soldier. The chain of command or management is one of the best I have ever seen in an office environment. The higher ups are always looking out for their workers making sure if any problems come out they are solved immediately and effectively. I love working with my co-workers which makes it easier for me to be excited about coming to work every morning. The hardest part about the job is repetition of looking at the same types of documents all day ensuring everything is correct. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I'm serving my sate and country everyday trying to make it better and the satisfaction of being able to help the new enlisted soldiers become successful in their new journey as a Maine Army National Guard Soldier.
Great opportunity to serve your community, state, and county
Satellite Technician/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
For anyone 17 to 42 years of age, it is a great way to serve your community, state, and country. For only 2 weeks a month and a 2 week longer training session a year you will be serving to help out your neighbor protect and defend their freedom and liberties, and serving at times of need. What a great way to help out those you love. Make new friends for a life time. Benefits and adventure is great, and you will develop new skills and talents.
Pros
Adventure
Cons
I cann't think of any
Great life skills
Military Police (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARFebruary 4, 2016
Being in the Army, I have acknowledged the importance of teamwork, adaptability, and time management. The training is hard but once it is completed there is a great deal of respect present. My job is flexible and it allows me to move wherever I want and still do my job. In addition, the Army really pushes me for physical excellence.
Pros
Health benefits, college benefits, training, and flexibility.
Cons
Disrespectful environment
Military life
Paladin Section Chief - Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCApril 1, 2016
1 Weekend a month, 2 Weeks a year.

Some lengthy deployments may be necessary

While on Active duty the benefits are excellent. When not on active duty you can still access base services like the Exchange and Commissary.
Pros
Excellent benifits when active duty
Cons
Military life isn't for everyone

4.5