National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 8,508 reviews matching the search
Learned a lot about myself and about service to my community and country. Overall enjoyable experience, but somewhat toxic environment
Combat Medic/Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, IAJanuary 18, 2017
I am proud of my time with the Guard, but I won't lie, the military can be a very toxic and judgmental environment to be in. Good resiliency required.
Pros
Learned a lot about patient care and emergency medical care, made lots of new friends, grew and learned a lot about myself, served my country.
Cons
Can be a toxic environment, so much inventory
Great Place
UAV OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Camp Dodge, IAJanuary 12, 2017
Everything is positive. I'm not going to put a negative review of an ex employer on a website that I am also using to find a job with. The benefits are outstanding as well as the pay. Other than that its luck of the draw really. There are many different job opportunities. some require more skill than others. Some also translate into the civilian world better than others. As far as promotion, and work environment goes it depends on the unit. For some units it is based on your work ethic and skill level. For others it is based on how popular you are with the right people. Everyone has a different experience, and mine had its ups and downs but overall I would say this is a positive review.
Best decision of my life
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 27, 2016
The National Guard is something I would definitely recommend to anyone that's feeling stuck in life, especially the younger crowd. It's made me feel proud of what I'm doing and who I am, and made me into a better person. I feel proud when I put my uniform on and like I belong when I go to drill every month. The military may not be for everyone, but the National Guard is very different from Active Duty. You get the best of both worlds.
Pros
A sense of belonging, self-improvement, service to your country
Cons
Basic Training is difficult, you may not always get what you're promised
Great Weekend Job
Financial Management Technician 36B (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 20, 2016
The Arizona Army National Guard (AZARNG) continuously provides a trained and ready force capable of performing unified land operations and defense support to civil authorities.
Through training, professional development and leadership engagements, the AZARNG continues to be a force capable of accomplishing a myriad of missions. AZARNG Soldiers are professionals who balance civilian careers, families and academic advancement. This is the essence of being Citizen-Soldiers “Always Ready, Always There.”
The AZARNG is made up of six major commands with approximately 5,100 Soldiers.
Fulfilling and Challenging Environment that Inspired Growth
Recruiter (79A) (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNDecember 29, 2016
The armed forces made me a better person. Serving in the organization was never easy; the hours often exceeded 8 a day with no additional pay incentive. Higher level leadership expected the best and held me to a high standard due to the fact that my role directly involved the wellness and benefits of others in several ways. It was impossible to have a day at work where I was "off my game" - my company and soldiers depended upon me to be operating at 100 percent at all times. This was difficult, challenging, and frustrating, but taught me volumes what it meant to be a dependable source of stability and guidance for others.
Good start off from just graduating high school.
Automated Logistical Specialist (92A) (Current Employee) –  Covington, GADecember 27, 2016
Joining the U.S. Army National Guard was a big decision for me. I was defiantly nervous and scared but I learned a lot about myself during training. It taught me social skills, tact, and how to push through any situation. The biggest thing I've learned is team work , that's all we ever had in training there is no such thing as an individual in the Army. I am confident that I can work with any type of coworker throughout any type of situation.
Benefits
Productive and Professional
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 17, 2016
It's during drill weekend that we pause our civilian life and resume our military career. Drill weekends can include physical training, advanced training, and work pertaining to your military occupational specialty(MOS). Working with co-workers that have become life long friends is great. Management and communication is good. The hardest part of the job is are the long days of working. Working together to complete a common goal is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch, great co-workers
Cons
Short breaks
Strict military atmosphere.
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NEDecember 21, 2016
In the National Guard we only work one weekend a month. A typical day consists of early mornings followed by a day full of training and power point slides. The hardest part of the job is having to leave family and friends for training and schools. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to provide freedom to this nation and the ones you love. As an officer I get to lead soldiers and watch them grow and become successful in their careers.
Pros
Serving your country, free leadership training, personal development.
Cons
Leaving family and missing milestone events.
Motor Transportation Operator
Motor Transport Operator(88M) (Current Employee) –  Piqua, OHDecember 26, 2016
I am a truck driver and part of being an 88M I have to preform cms which is vehicle maintenance on my vehicle checking for faults like leaks, broken mirrors,or windows. making sure that my truck is in in good condition so it can be mission capable ready. A major part of my job which is the fun part is driving! Those trucks are so awesome and fun to drive. My fellow battle buddies are very help along with my sergeant's. My favroite part about my jobs is going on convoys and on missions,
Pros
going on convoys
Cons
the pay
The WY ARNG is a great place to work
Officer Wyoming Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 13, 2017
I started with the NG in College. The benefits nearly paid for all of my tuition and expenses. The guard is a fairly large organization and you make of it what you put in. In other words if you don't put any effort in you are most likely to get the minimal return. On the other hand if you maximize your effort and follow the rules get your work and professional development done on time every time the sky is literally the limit.
Pros
Military
Cons
Travel for Promotion
Worked in many different contries, with many different personnel.
Officer in Charge (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 14, 2016
Spend a totla of 28 years, with four years active duty and 24 years reserve and national guard time. most of that time was with the 20th Group Special Forces. We deployed to many different countries and worked with interesting individuals from many walks of life. It was interesting to see the way they accepted us and the training we could provide.
Pros
Meeting interesting people.
Cons
Aways from home for extended periods.
Team orientated, friendly environment, fast paced
88M soldier (Current Employee) –  Gary, INDecember 29, 2016
Ive been a part of this team for six years now and enjoy every minute of it. Ive learn and experienced things that i never would have gotten the chance to outside of this establishment. I continually look forward to my next six years of service with them.
Pros
Learning new things, experience of a lifetime, chance to travel to new places
Cons
Not enough deployment time, not enough active time, need more good soldiers, need better pay
Great motivation
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2017
Serving the United States Army and people and living up to the army value. • Operate all wheel vehicles and equipment over varied terrain and roadways
• Manage load, unload, and safety of personnel being transported
• Oversee and check proper loading and unloading of cargo on vehicles and trailers
• Employ convoy defense techniques
• Identify, correct or report all vehicle deficiencies
• Prepare vehicle for movement/shipment by air, rail or vessel
life changing experience
Healthcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 12, 2016
I am proud to be a part of the National Guard. It has given me many memories and friends, as well as medical knowledge that I have carried over into my civilian life to help others. The National Guard helps me to further my education while also keeping me in shape with annual PT tests. The hardest part of the army is not knowing if or when I will be deployed; it is constantly on my mind. However the best thing I can do is keep up with my training and just be ready for anything.
Rewarding and discipline-engendering environment
Specialist E-4 (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 9, 2016
It is an environment that allows for great development. There are great opportunities for acquiring new skills and hands-on experience. There is a lot of paperwork involved in almost everything done, which can be bothersome, but at the same time, everything is recorded and there is a paper record of just about everything that happens. The hardest part of the job for me is that it can at times be hard to make my schedule work with it. It is not always that flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is that I can learn so many skills that translate over to many civilian jobs, as well as some more specific skill sets.
Pros
Benefits, military discounts, health care
Cons
Flexibility
You get what you put in...
HUMINT Collector (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 15, 2017
The Army National Guard has been very good to me since day 1 at reception. I have worked very hard and given my all to this organization and in return they have made all of my dreams come true and they continue to amaze me. I will without a doubt be re-enlist until I cannot re-enlist anymore. I am so proud to serve my country within this branch.
Pros
College education, health benefits, world travel etc
Cons
Almost no personal life, always working.
Life working in National Gaurd
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2016
Working with the national guard has been one of the most enjoyable parts of my life. I have gained many skills and learned many life lessons. Co-workers in the National Guard are Just like family. They will protect you with their life and will always push you to better yourself. The Hardest part of being in the military are the hours. It is more than a full time job at times, you miss your family and usually can not talk to them for very long stretches at a time.
Pros
Free lunches, Good lifestyle
Cons
A place where camaraderie allows you to learn together
WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VADecember 5, 2016
A typical day at work is servicing diesel vehicles and doing inventory for parts on hand. I learn more than my specialty because I cross train in Supply. Coworkers are my peers who have the same goals as me and we help each other achieve them together. The hardest part of the job is being away from home for some periods of time but "what does not kill you will make you stronger", and you get a great experience from your absences. The most enjoyable part of the job is the bond you build with your colleagues. You go through the same objectives and have to work as a team to complete them.
Pros
Health care, travel, education, personal growth, great experience
Cons
A League Of Ordinary, Intriguingly Diverse Individuals.
19 Delta Cavalry Scout (Current Employee) –  Hope, ARDecember 4, 2016
A Typical Day At Work Is Constructive And Knowledgeable.

Ive Learned That No Matter What The Task Is, If Everyone Does Exactly What There Suppose To Do Indivualy And Can Cooperate Effectively, The Workplace Is Great.

I Like How The Mangement Operates.

I Like The Diversity And Understanding Among My Coworkers.

The Hardest Part Of The Job Is Maintaining Self Discipline In Some Scenarios.

The Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job Is Knowing Your Part Of Something Honorably Recognized.
Pros
Benifits/Discounts
Great Work Environment, Experience and Brotherhood
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 6, 2016
The military encourages me to challenge myself in all aspects of my life. In my current career, in my leadership skills, in my home life, in my physical fitness, in my mental fitness and more. The brotherhood we share in the military is one of a kind. I can meet anyone in the USA, and if we are both service members (current or retired), a bond between us has instantly been set that never would have been there otherwise.
Pros
Great work environment and great training available
Cons
Sometimes leadership sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5