National Guard
2,797 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

A good job, but not what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 21, 2014
Pros: money and co-workers are amazing
Cons: management on my immediate level could be substancially better
The drive to work is the worst part. Traffic is always bad and it drains you on your way to and from work.
I have learned more than what I could have ever learned not being on Active Orders in the Guard. I deal with Soldiers and Leaders all across the state of Tennessee. I've learned how to correctly research into orders that are placed or transfers – more... made. I can see where mistakes are made and know how to correct them.
I'm not a fan of my manager. He has double standards and that aggravates me to no end. If i'm told to do something then I expect to see him be willing to do the same. We have 1 hour lunches and I often see him take 2- 2 1/2 hour lunches for no reason.
My co-workers are amazing. I couldn't ask for a better set of people to work with. There is a good ballance between joking around and hard work here. We often go fishing or on vacations together. We all get along and get our work done.
The hardest part of the job is sitting at a desk for 8+ hours. I like to get on my feet or be more hands on.
The most enjoyable part is by far the money made. At my age I cannot think of anyone else that I know making what I make. It's hard to think of having another job when you are able to pay your bills and still keep plenty for a savings account. – less
Military
food service specialist (Current Employee), kinston, north carolinaAugust 21, 2014
training consisting of weapon systems, driving military vehicles, food preperation
Being a soldier
12R Electrician of 882nd (Current Employee), Mount Airy, NCAugust 20, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: leaving home
Developing a relationship with people unlike your ordinary friendship. A whole new definition of family. The most enjoyable part developing the close bond with people from different walks of life. Hardest part of the job is deploying. Leaving loved ones behind with no guarantee to return during war.
great job
squad leader (Current Employee), middlesboroAugust 20, 2014
awesome expierence, lot of hands on work, made lots of friends, awesome benefits, alot of career benefits including retirement.
Loved the job
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good job, excellent benefits
Cons: they didnt advance me hardly, no encouragment
Love the job, like i said before that if i could, i would go active Army
Good people, good job, very balanced
Avionic Mechanic (Former Employee), Marietta, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, plenty of friends to be made
Cons: only one weekend a month unless you get pulled on as a technician
Come in, do your job, get things done and go home, one week end a month, not bad for additional income. Many adventures to be had and plenty of growth opportunities.
Corrections Officer
Military Police (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 20, 2014
Managing and maintaining of detainees. Support and complement detainee recovery and ongoing therapeutic treatment. Security of and sustaining necessary resources to aid in their recovery and release.
Fun again this time i was cooking
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee), Michoud, LAAugust 19, 2014
Preparing food for the service men and women of all branches of the service.

I learn how to cook for other than myself.

The military was always awesome.
A team building environment and a great work place
Infantry (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIAugust 19, 2014
Doing team exercises to make sure we get the job done right so every can survive
rewarding career
Logistics/ Transportation Officer, Captain (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2014
Life long military career from which I learned core competencies to build a successful civilian career
Productive workplace with a great attitude and room to grow and learn.
Platoon Sergeant / First Sergeant (Current Employee), Powderly, Texas; Unit Training & Equipment Site #1August 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: being deployed overseas extended periods
A typical day at work would be to look at the work order register and plan accordingly the work to be done by the workforce and parts available. Next have a maintenance meeting with mechanics to dole out work assignments and go over safety concerns or shop issues. Then inspect work done by mechanics or clerks to ensure it is correct and done to standard. – more... I would also have to forcast and budget service parts or unscheduled repairs for the upcoming quarter then year. Inspect shop for cleanliness and OSHA standards and make sure no Hazmat violations have occurred. My co-workers are mostly young and have to be trained and that is what I enjoy most about my job is being able to impart my 28 years of maintenance knowledge onto young energentic mechanics. – less
Learn something new everyday
Supply Technician (Current Employee), Augusta, GAAugust 19, 2014
Being Military for 15 + years I have learned quite a bit. I am STILL learning and growing because the Military is forever changing.
Reenlisting
Supervisor (Current Employee), Thomasville, GAAugust 19, 2014
I enjoy my job in supervising and training as well as the camaraderie with my fellow soldiers
Hard work and dedication
COMMUNICATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Fort LuptonAugust 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch, acknowledgment of duties
Cons: chaos
Coming into the military working hard is part of the job. Knowing and furthering all knowledge to obtain the best ability to do my job.
A place with great vision/mission - with challenges in the execution of those.
iversity Program Manager /ATS (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: peer-to-peer communication
Cons: lack of proper reporting structures
I love my job and I love and identify with the vision/mission. Unfortunately, the management style is mostly "reactive" instead of "intentional/pro-active", which makes it difficult to achieve measurable results.

It is even more challenging to demand accountability due to lack of processes and lack of IPMs and implementation of proper business processes.

Management – more... has good intentions and cares about its employees - the execution of the vision for family and employees is rather challenging and at times frustrating.

Hardest part of the job: to accept the fact that at times mediocrity is the standard and I cannot "make" people want to perform at their best and to work even harder to improve themselves and the agency.

Interacting with a lot of power players, visionaries, and peers who believe in vision/mission and proper execution of processes was invigorating and motivating. – less
Awsome job
Squad leader, drove 2 (Former Employee), Oxnard, CAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: see above
Great group of guys. Training was great. Track and wheeled vehicles.
Fun place to work
Military Occupational Specialist (Former Employee), Portsmouth, OHAugust 16, 2014
Meet people all around the world. Get to serve your country from your house. Pay is ok, but could be better.
Army
SGT/Team leader (Current Employee), Tiffin, OHAugust 16, 2014
Pros: brotherhood, sense of pride, life skills, discipline
Cons: pay, government
I love it....Too bad the government keeps cutting the amount of Soldiers that they want.
very fast pace enviornment with alot of moving parts
Labor Expediter (Current Employee), Douglas, GAAugust 16, 2014
my employment as a national guard member is exciting.
thru these past few years i have learned quite a bit about explosives, route recon and security. my co workers are great leaders who instilled discipline and work ethic into the enviornment.
Aviation Operations
Aviation Operation Specialist (Current Employee), Escondido CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: fun job
Cons: long hours
Process local and cross-country flight clearances
Check accuracy of flight plans and coordinate them
Maintain flight logs on incoming/outgoing flights and individual flight records Alert crash crews of emergencies Interpret and post weather reports

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more