National Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,717 reviews matching the search
Gained new knowledge and experiences associated with new cultures and languages
Special forces engineer (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLApril 2, 2016
A typical day at work would include a training future SOF candidates, section physical training, and attend required briefings as necessary. I've learned about new cultures and languages within my new area of interest. Management is a little stagnant in my unit but it is normally filled with competent individuals. My fellow co-workers are motivated and professional. The hardest part of my job is training individuals that are untrainable. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and lack of sleep. The most enjoyable part of the job is travelling to new places and the new adventures that come with it.
Great company that provides you with a great career and exceptional job skills.
Senior Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2016
Texas Army National Guard is one of the best organization to work for. After serving 8 years of active duty I joined Texas Army National Guard and it provided me with an opportunity to be a full time employee. The (AGR) active guard reserve is one of the best jobs in the Texas Army National job. I started my career and ended my Career because of retirement and I could not have met some of the best soldiers and friends. My work week started at 0700 until 1730 Monday thru Friday. A typical drill weekend began around 0700 until 1630.
Pros
Discounts, free lunches, health benefits, guaranteed paycheck.
Cons
Long hours at time, deployments, extensive training.
It's the military, so....
civilian technician (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 17, 2016
Work/life balance can be difficult even as a Guardsman because you must answer to civilian employer, the Governor, and even the Federal Government. Drill schedules can be odd and in leadership roles your responsibilities extend beyond typical duty times. I was with the Colorado Army National Guard, but I do not have much positive to say about the leadership culture. During my time there was entirely too little oversight and when there was it was heavy-handed and often misdirected. Opportunities can be virtually unlimited if you actively seek advancement and skills are highly favored in the civilian sector. Overall, I am proud of my service and learned a lot despite the challenges and would recommend service so long as the right attitude is in place.
Pros
Service to Country, Training, Experience, Benefits
Cons
Local leadership, work/life balance
Strive to find balance with personal and professional
Cannon Crew member Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLFebruary 1, 2016
Ten years serving in the Florida Army National Guard; dealt with one deployment and overall a good place to work. The key is to do research on the unit before you get there. Similar to other large bureaucratic organizations, the FLARNG is adapting to recent changes at higher headquarters to coordinate training objectives to reflect its dual mission. Generally, weekend drills are long and drawn out but the camaraderie and personal contribution is worth it. Deployments are still occurring, yet less frequently and the promotion process is slower than its active duty counterparts. Great benefits regarding medical/dental and life insurance. Additional benefits in education are attractive as well.
Pros
Benefits, Esprit de corps, patriotism, potential retirement
Cons
long hours during drill weekend/annual training, commuting travel to and from drill, additional requirements between drills
Military w/out as much of the nonsense
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 7, 2016
The military is generally what you make of it, and what base you are at. The benefit to the guard is that you can choose where you go. If you find out that the base is not enjoyable, or you don't like the military all that much, you do not have to deal with that full time. On the other side of things if you enjoy your base and the military there are generally plenty of volunteer opportunities or ways to maximize your military service.

The guard allows you to maintain your civilian dreams and pursue careers at home, and still serve your country. You also get many wonderful benefits that your recruiter would be more than happy to tell you about.

Again, its what you make of it.
Pros
Pick your home. Pursue career of choosing. Great benefits.
Cons
Depending on your feelings: the stresses involved with the military.
Provides excellent stability, leadership, benefits and discipline
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKMarch 30, 2016
I love my career in the army. It has turned me from a troubled youth into a productive and disciplined member of the armed forces. I have developed many skills that i can apply to my civilian life and job in the civilian world. I would not have ever been able to get the training and work ethic I have if not for the Army. I get the opportunity to train not only myself but the next generation of soldiers entering our armed forces which is a great feeling. I love the attitude and motivation from a day at work but most important I love the brotherhood.
Pros
Benefits, Attitude, Motivation, Service
Cons
Not a lifelong career
Tough career but very rewarding.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2016
I learned a lot being an Infantryman in the Army National Guard, but it is also a very tough and stressful job at times. It's tough but rewarding and has the management and co-workers (soldiers) to help you get what needs to be done done. This job comes with a sign on bonus, many great benefits, job security, and helps you become a more organized, responsible, and overall better person.
Pros
Experience, benifits, great team members, very rewarding towards your life and future career.
Cons
Very tough at times (mentally and physically).
Excellent benefits
Battalion Logistics Operations NCO (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, MOFebruary 6, 2016
Working full time for the Army National Guard is a great job that has real meaning. Work/life balance works out fine. There are slow times and fast times such as National or State disasters, Annual Training, and drill weekends, but during the week there are opportunities to use your leave on occasion. The atmosphere is professional and friendly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Advancement is extremely slow
Great Benefits
Visual Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMarch 8, 2016
Good place to work if you are up to the challenge. Can be long days and late nights but the mission must always come first. The management can be good or bad. Always a chance to prove yourself. Depending on your rank, the pay can be very good and the benefits are very nice.
Pros
steady pay
Cons
can be long hours
Working Weyerhaeuser
Fire Direction Control Chief (Field Artillery) (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 12, 2015
Arrived at either 6:30 AM or PM and worked either on the Pesmel, in the Winder shack, or the Dry Lab, for 12 hours.
I learned how to work make sure the product is clean and properly wrapped for shipment.
Management there was always one person wanted it one way the other wanting it another way. Even though they always seemed to find a common ground whether they liked it or not.
My co-workers were there to help teach and to make sure we looked out for each other.
The hardest part of the job was long hours but was able to handle it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the time we had off.
Pros
15 day work days a month. Good pay.
Cons
Short breaks if any. Too many politics during day shift.
Life as a soldier
Guard Retired (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 15, 2016
A typical work day usually consists of eight hours. The work hours vary during deployment and military readiness training periods. The Army has afforded me many great opportunities in soldiering, as well as, in leadership. It has taught me the value of team spirit and team work. The ability to balance work life and home life is an important asset I gained early in my career. The toughest part of soldiering is when duty causes one to spend lengthy periods of time away from family. However, now-a-days media technology can sometimes make that easier to bare. I enjoyed my military career and attribute, to a large degree, much of my personal and professional growth to experiences I gained as a soldier and as a leader. The most enjoyable part is knowing and understanding the difference that you make during the course of your career, the lives you touch and the people that touch your life.
Pros
Education, extended family growth and memorable good times
Cons
war
Proud to serve not only our country but state and community
CBRN Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2016
I have learned so much through being in the military. I believe they have given me a plethora of skills that will be useful in my future career. I love the people I work with, they make serving fun. The hardest part of the job is when I have to go away for weeks for training, but it can also be a lot of fun. In my 4 years in I have had both good leaders and ones who could have been better. Over all I am glad to have had this opportunity to serve.
Pros
Great people, good education benifits.
Cons
Long days
Active Team work environment
Motor Transport Specialist (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 19, 2016
Being the Guard is a unique experience. Sure every service has it's pros and cons along with it's appeal but only in the Guard can you give back to your nation, but also your community and have the distinction that most sailors, marines, airmen, and others do not have- being involved with your community from the ground up, and actually being there for the community if and when the need arises.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Promotions
Cons
Training tempo
benifits are great and great work expirence
Nodal Network Systems operator/maintainer (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 22, 2016
my time at the army guard have shown me that I can achieve whatever I put my mind to if I work hard enough and focus, the benefits are wonderful and there are great opportunity's for advancement
A career with plenty of opportunuty!
Recruiting and Retention NCO (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXOctober 13, 2015
Working as a Recruiting and Retention NCO with the National Guard was a great place to share my personal experience with potential recruits about my military service on a daily basis. With the ability to successfully perform, there was room to set my own schedule within reason and meet managements expectations. Surrounded by professional soldiers, I was constantly reminded that we never stop learning, always challenge yourself, and to take action in the absence of orders. There was no better feeling than to see the transformation of a young man or woman into a soldier and to know that I made that happen. This career was full of challenges, but the most difficult one was to see a recruit not successfully complete their training. At the end of the day, it's all about changing lives.
Pros
Serving my country, helping others, training
Cons
Leaving home, long hours
Great Learning Experience
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Blackwood, NJFebruary 22, 2016
Learned better time management, how to handle stress. work as a team.
Formed great comradery
learn how to lead others
stressful on civilian career and family
the ability to make a difference
Pros
military benefits
Its a very diverse working environment.
94 Alpha Electronic Missile Systems Repairer (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAFebruary 22, 2016
- A typical day at work involves inventory and service checks on military vehicles and equipment. We also attended classes.
- I learned how to work in a team, respect others opinions and views, and be disciplined.
- Leadership is decent but has room for improvement
- The most enjoyable part of the job is gaining new experiences with great people.
Benefits
Cons
Bad time management
Great Career
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 20, 2015
Excellent managers with great pay and benefits. Having the ability to work with people from all demographics and experience the most dynamic professionals from all walks of life. Ability to travel the world and be immersed in foreign cultures. Politics played a heavy part of advancement. Each day presented various obstacles, while working with foreign military members and being conscious of cultural norms in host nation. Responsible for 8 personnel, to include training, physical fitness, financial responsibility, and morale.
Pros
Free meals, lots of allowances, benefits
Cons
Length of time from home, dangerous work environments
A perfect balance of being a Citizen and being a Soldier!
Citizen Soldier (Current Employee) –  Riverton, UTJanuary 14, 2016
I joined the Utah Army National Guard while I was a senior at West Jordan High School. I wanted to serve but still be able to accomplish my personal goals such as a career and earning my college degree.

The National Guard provided me with excellent training, a resume with skills that no civilian can match, as well as excellent benefits for school.

I truly enjoy the health benefits, I can't find anything more affordable that covers everything!
Pros
HEALTH BENEFITS! Pay, training, being a part of a team!
HR in the National Guard
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Its been very educational. I've learned a lot but the career progression is a long and strenuous process. I have done work to far exceed my rank and grade. Once a job is no longer challenging to me, it is time for me to move on. I have been at this job for going on 8 years in October 2016 and not had 1 disciplinary action. I am looking to expand my skills, my knowledge and most importantly my life as a Human Resource Specialist.
Pros
Flexible work schedule due to senority
Cons
benefits and pay

4.5