National Guard
3,524 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

It's an okay organization
Specialist - Engineer (Former Employee), Summerville, SCFebruary 24, 2015
It's a great organization, it literally depends on the company leadership. Active duty is probably better. The typical day, as stated before depends on your MOS.
Grea way to help out your community and serve your country
ARTILLERY SPECIALIST (Current Employee), KentuckyFebruary 24, 2015
A typical day revolves around training for your job and ensuring you are physically and mentally prepared for any tasks that might be asked of you.
A place to grow you talents
Indirect Fire Infantry (Current Employee), Mt. Pleasant PAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: exciting work environment
Cons: intensive training
The Army National Guard has given me, many life lessons, and many skills I use in my everyday life. You meet a diverse people from all backgrounds. Leadership actually cares about you and your future in the army.
Very competitive
Infantry (Current Employee), Biloxi, MSFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no breaks on drill
I Drive the Equipment for long hours at a time, and inspect the machinery. I also am trained to use the weapons, and also am required to do gate guard. Gate guard is when you are a security guard at the front gate and check the visitors I.D.
Amazing part time job
2nd Lieutenant 92A (Current Employee), ArizonaFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: can be stressful
I am impressed with the dedication of those who participate in the Army National Guard. There is a lot to learn, but the best thing about joining the National Guard is the comraderie found with in.
Loved every moment serving
Infantryman (Former Employee), Duluth, MNFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: away from home
One of the hardest things i've had to do at the age of 17 but one of the proudest things i've ever got to experience, loved everyone in my platoon like a brother. The harderst part of all was being away from loved ones at times but I also loved the things i got to see and experience.
Its the Army
74D, CBRN (Current Employee), MinnesotaFebruary 23, 2015
i learned basic survival skills, how to survive in a combat zone and to always put my battle buddies before myself, how to do my job as a CBRN in the United States Army
Productive working place, with plenty to learn.
Fire Support Specialist/Forward Observer (13F) (Current Employee), Coos Bay, ORFebruary 23, 2015
Working withing the national guard you learn a lot. There is always more that you can learn. The hardest part of the job would have to be remembering everything because we only work one weekend out of the month. And two weeks in the summer.
Best decision of my life.
Combat Medic / Healthcare Specialist (Current Employee), Eastover, SCFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: free meals, discipline, stable environment.
Cons: hectic schedule.
Being in the US Military may be the best decision of my life. It has helped me become a very disciplined individual, respectful of other peoples time and effort. Helped me respect a stable work environment. Being in the military has helped me see different individuals with different backgrounds and understand and respect everyone. Being on time is crucial to the completion of any mission. Respect is of high value in the work place. Loyalty helps you stay true to yourself and the company.
It's the army.
Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: free lunches, the base is surrounded by great places
Cons: long drive back home, and parking was terrible sometimes.
Everything has its ups and downs. The army is no different. A typical work day on a weekend in the NG is first formation in the wee hours of morning, the 1st tells the unit what the goal of the day is and what he expects from each section and how he expects it done. You check in with your section Sergeant and he tells you your goal of the day, it's always a workload that everyone plays a part in. That's both good and bad because sometimes you have the ones that want to do their job and go home happy they earned their pay check for the weekend, and then you have the ones that think it's social hour.

One hour lunch, sometimes two. You come back fat and full, with either all of your work done already or just half of it. Depends on how motivated you were. And trust me, you'll always have people pulling you this way and that so your work is never really done unless they send you to motor pool, then that's a whole different ball game. woo!

You do the same thing Sunday, except Sundays are longer and you do even more work than you did Saturday and it will leave you wondering..."Why didn't we do this Saturday? And just have an easier Sunday." Expect the worst on Sundays.

The people you meet in your unit will either be great or you'll be screaming for a transfer. I am friends with EVERYONE in my unit because I stay out of other folks business and do my job, and I'm just a generally friendly person that sits back and observes rather than get involved ya know? The pay is good too.
National Guard
Cable Systems Installer/Maintainer (Current Employee), Orangeburg, SCFebruary 22, 2015
CoWorkers are great
Travel is great
Pay code be better
Overall everything is great
Superior is great
The food could be betterr
I loved working with the people who are serving our country
Care Coordinator (Former Employee), Carson City NevadaFebruary 22, 2015
Most of my co workers were amazing hard workers and it was hard to leave. I liked watching the difference we could make in a soldiers life.
Awesome experience.
United States Army (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great discipline
Cons: n/a
great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great. Really awesome experience and personal growth and development.
It's all about perspective
Survivor Outreach Services Coordinator (Current Employee), North AlabamaFebruary 21, 2015
For the last ten plus years I have had the trusted honor to work with the greatest group of individuals I have known. The men and women of the 20th Special Forces Group and the Alabama National Guard, along with their Families, often think I am doing them a favor or some great deed. In reality they have been my greatest teachers and my sources of inspiration. I have learned that life is not one perspective but many, with as many different opportunities to learn and grow. The most difficult part of working with the military are those times when casualties occur. Yet, there is something gratifying about being able to be of significant assistance during those most critical and traumatic moments. Ironically, those are also the most enjoyable times. During those emotionally raw moments, you find what you are personally made of, where you could stand to improve, and oftentimes, the situation provides the answer to what you need to do to change. I could write a book about what I have learned but I believe it can be summed up with 'it's all about perspective'.
Army
91F- Small arms artillery repairman (Current Employee), MichiganFebruary 21, 2015
Michigan army national guard is the best career field if you want to attend college, not intended to get rich off of it go to school or go active
Close-Knit Professional Support Team for Service Members and their Families
Psychological Health Coordinator (Current Employee), Bordentown, NJFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: working with and for military service members
Cons: govt contracts for civillian services/pay grades don't match
As a civilian working for this unique military organization, it has been both and honor and a privilege to be part of their very professional military team proving psychological support services to military members and their families. I have had excellent management team members who continue to support me in my role in order to make me successful. My day at work is constantly changing so I have to be ready for anything and that is what makes the work both interesting and exciting, Helping service members navigate a psychiatric crises including hospitalization while maintaining their dignity and keeping their career is the most rewarding part of my job, day or night.
Great work environment with travel opportunities
Enlisted (Specialist) Forward Observer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: free training
Cons: work related hazards
Great training and camaraderie, travel opportunities, meet new people, exciting mission availability, great exercise, an all around American way to serve your country
Experiences vary on account of the individual
Infantry Squad Leader/ Unit Retention NCO (Current Employee), Tiffin, OHFebruary 20, 2015
It is a privilege to serve my State and Nation. There is quite a bit of sacrifices in the daily service life of a serviceman/woman however, to be part of something bigger than one self makes it worth the time and effort.
An Honor
Supply Specialist (92Y) (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: promotion at the time was almost impossible
It was an honor to have served along side of some of the worlds finest citizens in an extremely professional, tedious and fast pace work environment. .
Practical and Educational Workplace
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunches, training, and clothing
Cons: long days and nights
A weekend in the National Guard consisted of job training, weapons, equipment, and physical training. I learned how to be in charge of my responsibilities and the responsibilities of others. Learning leadership was most important in my experience with the National Guard. Management was enthusiastic about giving tasks to individuals to complete. My co-workers knew how to work hard and have fun. The hardest part of the job was trying to get a lot of work done in one weekend. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and their ability to help each other.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more