National Guard
4,118 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Proactive
Information Technology Specialist (IT) Specialist (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJuly 28, 2015
Supports all technical operations, trouble shooting, repair, analytical and evaluative duties related to Classified and & Unclassified computer networks, telecommunication, cryptographic devices, and/or automation equipment, with primary knowledge requirements of information processing, network management, LAN/WAN methodology, information technology, computer capabilities, security management and processing techniques
Army Reserve = National Guard
Armament Systems OIC (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYJuly 27, 2015
Pros: More family time
Cons: Lazy man's Army
National Guard is a different type of military. They have a civilian mindset which can affect military bearing. Overall, National Guard Soldiers behave similarly to Reserve Soldiers.
Management Analysts
Management Analyst: GS-0343-11, 1/11 – Present (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: I work independly and have a lot of trust from managment
Cons: duel status position, contigent upon active membership, in the Washington Army National Guard
It is a good place to work, management is improving, good team environment.
I assess the budget daily and ensure that there is enough money in the 12 different accounts to pay expenses. I communicate with the National Guard Bureau on a weekly basis to ensure that the proper amount of money is in all of the accounts I use. I also proved power point presentations to management address current finical status and what the projected status will be throughout the fiscal year. I provide input for different courses of actions to medicated upcoming finical concerns. I also work on different projects as assigned by leadership.
Military drill
Combat Engineer (Current Employee), Tuskegee, ALJuly 27, 2015
Cons: have to drive 13 hours to drill
I drill once a month and do various task that I'm instructed to do as well as do additional training. I learned a lot at basic such as working together as a team, How to handle a weapon and maintaining yourself a high standard
Productive and Postive Work Place
Recruit Sustainment Program Specialist (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 27, 2015
Maintain and submit transactions daily based on the documents recieved form all levels of personnel. The hardest part of the job is staying motivated but motivation comes from within.
Great Cohesion
Heavy equipment operator (Current Employee), West Monroe, LAJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Great pay
Cons: Extremely long days on occasion
The work day varies. Never a dull moment. Work with a large variety of people. I have learned a lot of skills over my years. I have done a variety of tasks and I have enjoyed every minute of it.
Useful and continued growth
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Sill, OKJuly 26, 2015
Always learning and moving at a quick pace.
Typical day consists of moving stacks and bringing up the servers. Can be frustrating when stumbling across problems but you always learn something from it all.
Sgt Gunner (Former Employee), Spencer, IAJuly 25, 2015
The guard gave me a start in life with college money and some great training. attended basic training between my junior and senior year in high school. A great place for a kid to start.
Good job to learn discipline and teamwork
mechanic I repair any component necessary (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 24, 2015
I enjoy serving in the National Guard. I learned the operation of several different things such as night vision googles, computer repair, and FBCB2 systems.
It is alright as long as you have something to do and in a section that has the potential to advance
25-B Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), GAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: team work, job experience, health care when on duty, potentially interesting work
Cons: too many dead end MOS, inconsistent standards
The national guard is good for those who already have a job or ones that are going to get another job soon.

you advance according to your section
team work is essential
your superiors will either be your biggest ally or enemy
a great place to hone skills that are applicable in the civilian job market
you have to closely check your MOS. if not you could be left in a dead end section and not get promoted at all
Human Resource specialists
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Pueblo, COJuly 24, 2015
Pros: i love the people i work with
Cons: not 24/7 only part time
Putting documents into the computer, making copies, faxing, I've learned that computers do brake down and one must wait for it to get fix in order to do your job.
Best company in Battalion
E4 specialist (Current Employee), Mount Vernon, ILJuly 24, 2015
Pros: free lunches and training
Cons: lots of downtime
Go in and do morning excersizes
I have learned personal control and lots of weapon systems
sergeants are tough but understanding
platoon is trusting and helpful
the hardest part of the job is the heat in full combat load
the most enjoyable part of the job is that we get to shoot guns for training
Best job I ever had
Food Service Specialist (Current Employee), Provo, UTJuly 24, 2015
I had the opportunity to challenge myself and become a better person while learning to selflessly give myself to the mission at hand
SCARNG review
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits, morale, great leadership
Cons: None
Greatest place to work!! Management encouraged family life, outside interests, and teamwork. High stress at times, but the leadership made position less stressful by encouraging teamwork so much, no one felt like they had too much at one time. Pay and benefits were great, and ability to move up was available to everyone.
Experience is dependent on who you work with
Counterdrug Training Section Chief (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 24, 2015
Typical work days depend on the leadership running your unit or section and the task at hand. I have had jobs with the Guard that I loved and jobs that I hated - all of this was dependent on the people I worked with.
Great military
supply specailist (Current Employee), milan ilJuly 24, 2015
I did a lot of assembling weapons and other equipment as well. the management was great there. all of my coworkers get along unless you mess up something. the most enjoyable part of my job is doing the assembling
Challanging workplace with fun people to work with
Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 23, 2015
I learned a lot of new and exciting thing at this job. I met new people every day. My co-workers kept my day going by not making the job too serious but we always got the job done in a timely manner. The Hardest part about this job was that it was a lot of paperwork. the most enjoyable part was the people, they always kept me smiling and laughing. I loved it.
Hard work
Health Care Specialist/Combat Medic (Current Employee), Sedalia, MOJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Provides ability to advance my education
Cons: Should have gone activie duty
Some weekends are easy going but other weekends we have a lot to do. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely to it again. I enjoy working with my section and various individuals from other sections.
Rewarding workplace shooting rockets
Section Chief (Current Employee), Aurora, COJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Great health care, meals are provided, Soldiers are taken care of
Cons: Sometimes things don't always go as planned
Come in for first formation. Brief troops on what the tasks are for the day. Lead and train troops in Soldier tasks. We have a great cohesive working section. Everyone gets alone and is willing to help others achieve the standards. Hardest part of the job when communications go down. The best part is getting to watch rockets going down range.
Productive workplace
Staff Sergeant- Administration/Transportation (Former Employee), ArkansasJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, retirement, tuition reimbursement
Cons: N/A
•Reviewed administrative audits and investigative reports to determine appropriate changes or corrective action.
•Conducted briefings that communicate facts and ideas for organizational improvement of programs and/or policies.
•Performed management surveys to determine compliance with unit’s regulations and procedure.
•Created and performed test plans for software application.
•Analyzed problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions.
•Planned, organized work, and communicated task effectively.
•Documented findings of studies and prepared recommendations for implementation of new systems, procedures, or organizational changes

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries