National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 8,222 reviews matching the search
Was a overall good experience but the job couldn't accommodate my families needs
Avionic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 22, 2016
Wake up, report to work, complete the tasks of the day, report again and repeat.

I learned to be apart of something bigger than myself.

my co-workers were good and bad.

the hardest part of the job being part from my family.

management varied there was great NCOs and officers and then there were terrible people who didn't deserve the stripes on there chest.

the most enjoyable part of the job, was to serve my country.
Daily Routine
Receptionist/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 22, 2016
There is NO typical day at work! this is a new contract and NO ONE knows what is going on. It is unorganized, Expectations are EXTREME. Management is not helpful, they have NEVER been in Credentialing field before so they don't know how to do your job, but are very good at giving orders without knowing timelines or realistic outcomes. They put unrealistic time limitations on employees and the stress level is out of this world.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Negative Work envirnment.
Challenging and fun. We get to learn and do lots of new stuff with the vehicles.
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kingstree, SCNovember 29, 2016
As an integral member of the Mechanical Maintenance team, the Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic handles the maintenance and repair of light and heavy tactical vehicles and select armored vehicles. The Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic is primarily responsible for supervising and performing maintenance and recovery operations on wheeled vehicles and associated items, as well as heavy-wheeled vehicles.
Very good battle buddies and great unit.
15 Bravo (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 3, 2016
Aviation is the place to be. Super chill but our work is critical. The amount of which you enjoy your unit is heavily weighted on having a good reliable chain of command and your fellow battle buddies. Great place, some of the most trustworthy people to be around. We have a serious job but we still have a lot of fun. Lots of times drills are planned on important weekends in our personal lives and that can get in the way but overall the guard does not take much of your times.
Pros
Once a month, still get lots of benefits
Cons
Pay is low and hospitality not provided
More Benefits than Expected
CHAPLAIN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WANovember 8, 2016
I enlisted to test myself. I wanted to see what I can give and take physically, mentally, and emotionally. Being apart of something greater and serving my country was an honor. The most difficult part of the job is the part where Soldier's are separated from families. The stress it puts on top of an already high stress environment is unreal. Building resiliency is key. A typical day for me included ensuring Soldier morale and care, while completing additional tasks to support the Chaplain. I learned discipline, time management, and awareness.
Pros
Education benefits, health benefits, physical fitness
Cons
low pay, demanding, long days
It is what you put into it
Flight Paramedic, Platoon Sergeant (Former Employee) –  KansasNovember 10, 2016
Phenomenal benefits, pay isn't bad once you get a couple promotions. Lots of on the job training, you shape your own career. Opportunities exist to transfer and train in a different field if you're willing to put in the work and wait for an opportunity to arise.
The education benefits, medical coverage, and life insurance are phenomenal.
Leadership is very toxic. They are driving your best Soldiers away into the civilian workforce.
Pros
Hard work is eventually recognized
Cons
Toxic leaders not being held responsible.
Great organization paving the way for tomorrows military leaders
National Guard (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 9, 2016
With over a thousand different jobs and specialty fields, within the organization, joining the national guard is one of the greatest decisions I have ever made. I have learned many different lifelong skills and practices, which help make everyday tasks done more efficiently, you have numerous co workers so its impossible to not make friends,.
Pros
SKILLS, FITNESS, TRAVEL, BENEFITS, INSURANCE, RETIREMENT
Fun work environment and great way to gain knowledge and experience
Surface Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Draper, UT 84020November 15, 2016
The national Guard was a great stepping stone in life for the knowledge and experience I gained was unsurpassed for the way its obtained. you have schooling completely paid for in the job you do, you constantly have on the job training, and you learn things outside of your job. There was so much I learned that I wouldn't have gotten from a traditional job. It is definitely something everyone should do at least once in their lives.
Pros
great working environment, great knowledge, education and job experience.
Cons
sometime long days, long deployments could be hard on family
construction site
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDNovember 16, 2016
As a national guard soldier .we train once in the month and our task as the platoon is determined by the chain of command. We receive the order and execute. In this job, I've learned so much from personal development to others as leadership skills, which is very crucial in my view and teamwork. My co--workers are my family, we complete each other. The hardest part of my jobs is most dictate by the leadership in charge of the task. More or less knowledgeable you are less or more, the jobs will be shaped.
The day as a Supply NCO
Unit Supply NCO (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 20, 2016
A typical day at work is to make sure the unit and soldiers have everything they need to complete their missions no matter how big or small it maybe. What I learn things change and you have to make adjustments to fit the need. The management and co-workers are the best in the business. The hardest part of the job is having to charge soldiers for loosing their personal equipment.
Pros
Kowning you've done your best and the missions where completed.
Cons
Not being able to help someone rich their goal
Trade-off between good training and separation from family
Family Programs Accreditation Manager (Former Employee) –  Annville, PANovember 21, 2016
Managed National Guard Family Programs (Army and Air Force) Statewide Accreditation program. Council on Accreditation (COA) standards were at times arbitrary and required push-back where standards were not applicable. At other times, civilian employees of contractors presented challenges that would not be tolerated in the private sector.
Pros
Great benefits and training
Cons
Separation from family
Hard to balance Guard duties with personal life. However, theres good morale, lifelong friends, and would definitely join again.
Military Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 23, 2016
While at drill you usually dont do much but sit a wait for the higher ups to tell you what to do, but sometimes we will get some good training in and will learn alot and be lots of fun. Management differs alot on your unit, but so far I have had nothing but good leaders. All the guys I go with are super cool never have any issues there. Hardest part is keeping up with the physical requirements of the job while working a personal job and dealing with personal issuses when im not a drill and no time to go to the gym or keep up with the physical aspects. The best part of the job is the comrodery and friendships.
Great part time job, free education, medical, dental benefits
Company Commander (Captain) (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 20, 2016
A typical day at work varies. Drill days are 1 weekend a month and two weeks a year. Deployments happen about ever 2 to 3 years. Great place to network and build comradery. NJ will also pay 100% tuition to any public institution of higher education. The hardest part of the job is balancing a civilian career and family with the military. The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the state, nation, and having the opportunity to travel all over the world.
Pros
Free tuition, low cost health insurance, brotherhood
Cons
none really... it's a volunteer force join if you want or not
I deeply enjoy serving in the National Guard
Specialist, 88 M (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MANovember 19, 2016
Not much else to say. I love my unit, my team, and serving my community and Country. Standard day is different depending on our current mission/ task. Despite any personal gripes some people may have with others, we set our differences aside to accomplish our tasks. Hardest part of the job is being away from family, but it is a deeply personal satisfaction of mine to serve my community with my team.
Was another positive experience
Electrician and MIG Welder (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2016
I also learned a lot here pertaining to maintenance and troubleshooting in many different types of situations. Typical day at work consisted of taking care of work orders that was faulty electrical issues, preventative maintanence, and new installation for all of the National Guard facilities throughout the state. Management pretty much stayed at a distance. Hardest part of job was troubleshooting issues to be able to repair. Again the most enjoyable aspect was figuring out an issue and repairing in an professional manner.
Pros
the diversity. I learned how to MIG weld'
Cons
Had to sometimes move at a slower pace than I was accustomed to
Very Productive
Truck Driver/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCOctober 3, 2016
My typical day at work was very productive. I was always on the move and moving at a fast pace. My job could switch at any given and I always was prepared. I learned how to work with others to get the job done. As long as we got the job done and did what were told we too much didn't have to worry about management. All the soldiers
got along and I believe the hardest part was training. The most enjoyable part was the rewards and being appreciated for your hard work.
Benefits
Cons
Long Days
Great place to work with lots of opportunity for growth
United States Army Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 24, 2016
This has been the most rewarding job I have taken thus far in my life.

What I do:

I am a staff officer.

I gather information from human, electronic, and physical sources to provide the commander (executive) with relevant information.

I prepare and give briefings, write reports, and collaborate with a team to communicate critical information.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Part Time
Productive and supportive
Recruiting and Retention NCO (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 3, 2016
With nearly 20 years of service, many of which have been full time within the National Guard, I would not have the life I have without the National Guard. I have gained leadership experience, management experience, unlimited opportunities and a sense of belonging. The best part of this job is the family focused environment.
Pros
Available health care, family support and pay
Cons
Typically for most it is only one weekend a month.
Office and floor workers on the same page half the time.
Medic (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNOctober 1, 2016
A typical day my department would be bombarded with rush jobs the office either was late putting out or other departments were late on making.

I leaned how to efficiently manage my area and those around me. Double checking the prints of fixtures and the order dates.

Enjoyed working with co-workers and always got along great.

Hardest part of the job was giving recommendations on improving efficiency and money with updated equipment but never having anyone listen.

Pushing myself everyday to see how much work I can complete was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Chrismats Dinner
Cons
Short Breaks, low raises
Incredible Experience
12N Horizontal Construction Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 18, 2016
The society is amazing because everybody is positive and motivated to become the best versions of themselves. It encourages integrity and selfless service. I learned a lot about being polite and how to work well with people even if you do not get along very well with them. Excellent leadership skills obtained and am not afraid to go out and get what I want and always finish the job.