National Guard
4,010 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

very stressful, busy and demanding job but comes with great satisfaction from serving others
Platoon Leader (Current Employee), Rockwood, TNJuly 5, 2015
Pros: great experience, difficult job that makes you better prepared for civilian jobs, good benefits
Cons: long hours, time away from family and friends, very high pressure and stressful situations
As it is the national guard, this is a one weekend a month commitment. Every weekend is unique throughout a year long cycle. Sometimes it will be a 3 day field training exercise where we do battle drills, – more... missions, and troop leading procedures as if we are in enemy territory; while other weekends will be more administrative work where we perform counselings of soldiers, practice individual combat skills for everyone's position on the tank. Being in a leadership position, I have learned how to delegate tasks so you don't get overwhelmed and keep everyone actively involved, how to perform and communicate with multiple people while controlling 4 tanks in very stressful situations, and simply how to get results from those you are placed in charge of. The hardest part of this job is simply the commitment. I drive over 2 hours just to get to the job, and on drill weekends, my unit is typically working a minimum of 14 hours per day. Meanwhile, the most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of doing what 99% of Americans do not have the opportunity to do and the comradery that is built between you and your soldiers. – less
Love this job
infantryman (Former Employee), Bartonville ilJuly 5, 2015
Army infantry for 5 years great job. Have learned a lot about team work leadership and attention to detail is a big part of the infantry
Mission's
Sergeant/ E-5, Motor Transport Operator (Current Employee), Winston Salem, NCJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Train to standard, not to time.
Cons: The weather does not matter.
Conducting preventative maintenance on the truck and the trailer of a truck that only carries heavy equipment but is also able to carry light vehicles, filling out proper paperwork that the army guidelines and policies refer us too, and driving trucks wherever the mission requires us to go.
Its a fun and learning experience
Diver Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2015
On a normal trip headed to Chicago we would listen to the radio while the driver drives and I keep us headed the right direction. We would make pit stops to use the latrine and eat and we would meet some great people. The hardest part was staying awake on long trips but the scenery of the stars and moon would help keep us entertained with the help of energy drinks and snacks.
Enjoyable for all of the soldiers
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee), Duncansville, PAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Great work place
Cons: Could be more family oriented
The work environment is great along with all of the other soldiers. Many of us enjoy being with each other and working as a team and not as individuals
Produciton
Supervisor/Training NCO (Current Employee), Thomasville, GAJuly 4, 2015
The military has taught me so many values in life. I have gained personal growth. The hardest part of this job was waking up at 5am and it was cold outside to run pt.
California Guard is a good place but not every unit is great
SF Engineer (Current Employee), CaliforniaJuly 4, 2015
The command team dictates the culture of a unit. As of now the culture at A-5 19th is about as bad as it can get. People are leaving and I am one of them. The unit is not a good place to be right now. I hope that changes because the soldiers are great
Same as the first comment.
Battalion Career Counselor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Same from first comment.
Cons: sAME FROM FIRST COMMENT.
Same as the first comment that was given for the Battalion Career Counselor.

On of the best Careers I ever had. had time to work with other soldiers and plan for future events.
Great workplace
Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Morals, training
Cons: away from family
The military shaped me to be the man I am today, I wouldn't take back anything I've done while enlisted, and would do it all over again every day.
Challenging workplace with sub par management.
Specialty Branch Officer Strength Manager (Current Employee), Fort Pickett, VAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Poor leadership
The Virginia Army National Guard is a very important part of our nations security and has grown to be a very strong force. However, they have mismanaged and over-promoted their officer force and are now forcing anyone with 20 years of service out.
Awesome
15 P Aviation Operations Specialist (Current Employee), West Jordan, UTJuly 2, 2015
Working as a soldier in the national guard is enjoyable. If I can get an AGR job it would be one of the best jobs I've had. The management will roll all blame downhill though.
Was a great experience
Infantryman/RTO and Maintenance (Former Employee), Linton, INJuly 2, 2015
The army teaches you a lot about life and makes you appreciate the little things. You get out of it what you put in. I enjoyed all the soldiers I served with.
A workplace with strong culture and drive to improve
Signal System Support Specialist (Current Employee), Reno, NVJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Benefits
The Army National Guard is very interesting and overall great place to be. Enlisted soldiers are pushed by senior enlisted as well as the officers to pursue careers as well as a military career. The military is not fond of people staying stagnant. Always moving forward.
Army National Guard
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Peoria, ILJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great people
My job as a Human Resource Specialist has been second to none.
It has taught me to think on feet and be prepared for anything at anytime. I love being able to help others and work side by side with different people from all over the world.
everyday life experience
11C Indirect Fire Specialist (Former Employee), Forsyth, GAJuly 1, 2015
day to day operations are alright. great team building exercises and able to express yourself. great brotherhood feeling and not being judgmental.
It's a true honor to serve
19K M1 Armor Crewman (Former Employee), Whitehall, OHJuly 1, 2015
Pros: You gain friendships and loads of experience on life
Cons: No cons
I had no regrets joining the army national guard. The benefits were great and I was able to create a bond with people who I've never met. I learned a lot while serving with the national guard and I truly miss my brother's in arms.
My time in the Guard
Infantryman (Former Employee), TXJuly 1, 2015
I enjoyed my time in the National Guard but I would not do it again. There are a lot of things that I do not agree with, but there are also a lot of great people there.
Overall great place to work
Financial Service Tech/Commercial Accounts/MILPAY (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great people to work with.
Cons: An hour one way to drive
A typical day for me includes taking care of soldiers making sure that they get paid. Enjoy working with a great group of guys.
A good choice for my families future
Ammunition Specialist (Current Employee), Benson, NCJune 30, 2015
I signed up to do many things; Serve my country, test myself, and most importantlybuild a better future for my family. I attend a once a month Drill in Benson, NC where my unit is located.
Tough but learning tool and sense of accomplishment.
Military Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJune 30, 2015
we break down enemy capabilities and through terrain conditions and capabilities of the enemy we create course of action the enemy will take to be successful of their mission. later briefing Army personnel on said course of action and any other important intelligence.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries