National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 4,715 reviews matching the search
Dynamic workplace. Opportunity to advance. Opportunity to lead our soldiers.
BATTALION COMMANDER (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 10, 2016
This was a great experience as there was no typical day. Our mission was rewarding, in knowing the part we played in the Global War on Terror, and the many state disasters in which we provided support.

The Iowa National Guard is an outstanding team, and the leadership provides junior, and senior leaders the latitude to perform their missions in the best manner possible.

Our soldiers were some of the best in the Army, to include active and reserve components.

The hardest part of the job was the family separation for deployments.

The most rewarding was working to develop our junior enlisted into quality Non-Commissioned Officers (Sergeants), and our junior officers into senior leaders.
Pros
Ability to do things you just can't do in the civilian world
Cons
occasional family separation for deployment
Overall great branch
Food Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edgefield, SCFebruary 9, 2016
great branch. Enjoy going every month. the people are extremely helpful and always there for support. Join the army National guard
Ensure superior care of detained personnel through individual safety checks. Document and dispose of contraband materials uncovered during inspections
Military Police (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJFebruary 9, 2016
A normal day at work is currently secret and I am not allowed to leak this information to the public. I have learned many different correction officer skills such as escorting and communicating with detainees to solve many problems before the situation was escalated. My co-works are professionals at all times and make the job run that much more smoothly. The hardest part of the job is when my co-worker do not work as a team to accomplish our mission in a professional and timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I am making a great contribution to my country by doing the job of a Military Police Soldier in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Pros
Experience of a lifetime
Cons
Away form home for nine months.
Practically the same as any other branch
Private E-1 (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAFebruary 9, 2016
My recruiter was amazing, allowed me to pick the job I wanted right off the bat. The only thing I regret about joining is not being able to stay in longer.
Adventurous
Platoon Sergeant (Current Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 9, 2016
I have served in the National Guard for 12 years. I have gaind a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge. I have learned extraordinary leadership skills.
MDARNG has great benefits
Readiness NCO / Facility Chief (Current Employee) –  Gunpowder, MD 21010February 9, 2016
A typical day at work is prepare for meetings, attend meetings, pass on new information and send out what was asked of you. Through these measures I learned to be proactive vs. reactive. Management here is usually reactive and everything needs to be done right now. The hardest part of the job is being away from your family during emergencies of the sate and overseas deployments. The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction of working with Soldiers and the community.
Great place to work !
Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 9, 2016
Go Army !

Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Pride.

Go Army !

Love the uniform.

Education benefits are sweet.
Leadership development
Second Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, ALFebruary 8, 2016
Great place to become a better, more productive member of society. Constantly dealing with decision making and team based exercises.
Making Leaders.
CBRN Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salinas Municipio, PRFebruary 8, 2016
Being a soldier is an unique feeling. People look at you with respect and you propose yourself to fight for the freedom. My experience training soldiers for better survival is awesome. I always look for different ways to approach hard situations. What I like most about my job is when I get new trainees. I love the transformation for civilian to soldier.
Fun and Challenging
Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day was fun and challenging, when I worked for the Army National Guard. It was fun and challenging learning new soldier skills and associating them with my job duties, such as processing work orders, if deployed in a combat zone.

Management took care of their soldiers' needs.

On average, co-workers were easy to get a long with, but some co-workers had communication issues.
Pros
learning new skills and needs being met
Cons
some lack of communication issues
Best job ive ever had!
Field Artillery (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILFebruary 8, 2016
As a U.S Soldier in the IL Army National Guard it is my duty to protect and serve the people of the United States against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
Being a soldier
88M Motor Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILFebruary 6, 2016
I liked the experience of being a soldier. I improved my communication and team work skills, which I was lacking. And i acquired leadership skills.
Pros
duities, experience
Cons
lot of down time.
Excellent benefits
Battalion Logistics Operations NCO (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, MOFebruary 6, 2016
Working full time for the Army National Guard is a great job that has real meaning. Work/life balance works out fine. There are slow times and fast times such as National or State disasters, Annual Training, and drill weekends, but during the week there are opportunities to use your leave on occasion. The atmosphere is professional and friendly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Advancement is extremely slow
Great opportunity to serve your community, state, and county
Satellite Technician/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
For anyone 17 to 42 years of age, it is a great way to serve your community, state, and country. For only 2 weeks a month and a 2 week longer training session a year you will be serving to help out your neighbor protect and defend their freedom and liberties, and serving at times of need. What a great way to help out those you love. Make new friends for a life time. Benefits and adventure is great, and you will develop new skills and talents.
Pros
Adventure
Cons
I cann't think of any
this is the military
Arabic (MSA) Team Leader / Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAFebruary 5, 2016
N/A this is the military cant get past this page because this box wants me to keep typing stuff in here even though these questions aren't applicable to this entity
Fight For your Freedom
Solider (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 4, 2016
I love the military I plan on making the military a career. The National Guard has done so much for me with school, health, and it makes me proud to be apart of something so big.
Great life skills
Military Police (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARFebruary 4, 2016
Being in the Army, I have acknowledged the importance of teamwork, adaptability, and time management. The training is hard but once it is completed there is a great deal of respect present. My job is flexible and it allows me to move wherever I want and still do my job. In addition, the Army really pushes me for physical excellence.
Pros
Health benefits, college benefits, training, and flexibility.
Cons
Disrespectful environment
Love the Army National Guard
Combat Engineer, OEF Veteran (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, ARFebruary 4, 2016
Great opportunity. Great benefits. Proud to serve with my brothers and sister in Afghanistan. Leaned a lot and my family was taken care of.
Very productive and busy technical school.
Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKFebruary 3, 2016
I am at school learning about these radars from 8:30 AM to 4:15 PM every day of the week. We troubleshoot radars and read through schematics while we are in class, to learn everything about 4 different radars. These radars are the 36, 37, sentinel and LCMR. This is a technical school and because of it I'm experienced with electronic circuits as well as working with radars.
Pros
Free exercising every morning, a security clearance, free housing and I get paid to go to school instead of the other way around.
Cons
I am away from home for an extended period of time, and some of our rights are taken away as soldiers.
Great if you want to continue to gain experience or money for school
Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Camp Grayling, MIFebruary 3, 2016
As to be expected, it takes a time sacrifice mostly. I would suggest it if you have a fairly flexible schedule or if you don't have a family. If you have a standard Monday through Friday job, it would be fine too.

4.5