National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 8,918 reviews matching the search
Military Standards met
SPC (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 4, 2017
Job Work/Life Balance:
The Guard did well to keep their side of the yearly scheduling permanent so we could properly plan our life around military obligation. While not perfect, it works well.

Compensation/Benefits:
The benefits are unmatched.

Job Security/ Advancement:
As long as you do what you are supposed to do you will keep the job and advance, but there are some exceptions when it comes to the unit you are in. There are a lot of instances that take your command to put you in for schools, but over look those that are not "favorites".

Management:
The motto is to remain flexible. That is because we will get so many instruction on how and what to do, but it will change many times while the task is being performed. communication within the units are the biggest issue.

Job Culture:
Military culture, I like that for the most part.
Pros
education, insurance
Cons
leadership quality, favoritism, hard to change bad cultural habits
Allows and even demands personal growth through mentorship
Physician Assistant-Certified (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 15, 2017
The military in general and the National Guard specifically tries to squeeze 25 hours out of a day. There are often over booked training schedule and redundant briefings that must be attended. As much as I disliked this as a young soldier I realize now how important those time management skills are to me and my productivity. I have had a few other jobs and no where is mentorship a priority like it is in the military. It is central to the military culture. Merit based advancement is the rule not the exception.
Pros
Mentorship, personal growth, best health care available at not cost, mandatory physical training.
Cons
Mentorship may not always be wanted but you get it anyway, training may take you away from family for extended periods.
Monotonous and laid back job, but very interesting.
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gatesville, TXMarch 16, 2017
Typical day consists of monthly maintenance and checks. Comings and going of calibration equipment. Learned most of the rules and obligations for calibration technicians under USADA. Management is very knowledgeable of of equipment of criteria to be met.Culture in the section is very good. Section definitely meshes and works well. Hardest part of the job is dealing with people who don't know/understand the policies for the job. The most enjoyable part is the people in the section.
Pros
The people you get to meet and the things you get to learn.
Cons
Upper management and lack of room for advancement.
Great part time military but poorly run
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Linton, INMarch 14, 2017
While the National Guard is technically the reserves, they like to think that we aren't for whatever reason. Management is usually made up of active duty personnel while everyone else is obviously part time military and this causes issues. They like to think you have all the time in the world to devote towards the military, like they do and when you don't, they look down on you for it. The pay isn't great but for 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, you can't complain since your meals are paid for during this time and you get a bed to sleep in. Culture isn't quite the same as active duty since most everyone there is going to be from your area but it is a good way to make friends. Job security is great since, as with all military, you can't be fired but advancement isn't easy. If, for whatever reason though, that your superiors don't like you then you won't get promoted so advancement isn't quite the same from active duty either.
Pros
Food and bed paid for on weekends, easy money
Cons
Hard to advance, management runs it like active duty
Job summary
Sergeant E-5 (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day consisted of going to the field staying in barricks or sleeping on the ground in a wooded area. I learned my job in artillery of which I gained the extra skill of reading a military map. Management was ok as long as you are liked. I thought that the workplace culture was interesting. It was definitly more of a brotherhood in military culture. The hardest part of the job was being on long deployments away from my family. The most enjoyable part was that we were there for each other.
Pros
medical benefits, life insurance, va benefits
Cons
Challenging but rewarding, with opportunity for advancement.
E-6 NCO (Former Employee) –  Camp Williams, UTMarch 20, 2017
The National Guard is tough, but will give you a sense of accomplishment that you can't find anywhere else. If you put in the effort and work hard you will be noticed and rewarded. The National Guard is not for everyone, but if you have what it takes and want to better yourself, I highly recommend serving in the National Guard. It'll change your life.
Pros
Cool training and advancement
Cons
Dealing with typical management BS
Great Experience
Captain (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 17, 2017
In the Army National Guard I am an Officer and Aviator. I spend my drills managing my Company, and preparing all my Soldiers for current and future training events. During a day I am flying, usually I am planning my flight for the first half of the day, and training on my flight maneuvers for the second half. I manage 78 Soldiers at the moment, and gain more every month.
The Army has a great culture. Everyone in the National Guard wants to be there, and always puts forth their best efforts during drill. I most enjoy seeing my Soldiers take on more responsibility and succeed at their tasks.
The hardest part of the job is time management throughout the month. I have several days that I must balance civilian life with flying, drill, and meetings.
Pros
Great culture, flying, management
Cons
Time management requirements
Great way to give back and set up your future
Geospatial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 12, 2017
After coming off of active duty, joining the Guard was a good way for me to still serve and gain valuable work experience for the field I wanted to work in. Typically you work two days one weekend out of every month and two weeks during the summer. I learned leadership and job skills that I feel really helped prepare me for work in civilian sector. The culture is that of a brother hood where everyone looks out for each other. The hardest part of the job would have to be the chance that you might get deployed and have to be away from family. The most enjoyable part is knowing that your doing something important, something that makes a difference.
Pros
benifits discounted health insurance, money for school
Cons
none worth mentioning
Fast pace ,
Food Poerations NCO 169th MP Company (Former Employee) –  Warren, RIFebruary 5, 2017
A typical day would start very early in the morning , and end in the early or sometimes late evening. The management is called the chain of command and always works efficiently as the leadership in charge.
The workplace culture is extremely fast paced with no time in the middle for interference of mission. Soldiers first mission always.
The hardest part of the job was getting started in the morning with a tight scheduele .
The most enjoyable part was the evening meals after a day of training.
Pros
Commradary
Cons
Drill weekends come fast each month, and woul often start on a friday, end on Saturday, and back to work on Monday.y
Amazing Life Experience
Healthcare Specialist/Combat Medic (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 13, 2017
Performed duties within a medical section for Soldiers under 2-124th Regiment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and under 3-116th Regiment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom; worked closely with Troop Medical Clinic personnel to ensure all Soldiers received timely medical care; provided emergency and routine medical treatment for battle and non-battle casualties in both war and peacetime environments. As the human resources assistant, I helped manage, process, review, and coordinate admin tasks pertaining to personnel accountability, strength management, evaluations, awards and promotions; processed needed updates to soldier’s electronic files; prepared and maintained personnel records; assisted in making spreadsheets, typing memos and preparing soldiers for demobilization process.
Great Place
UAV OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Camp Dodge, IAJanuary 12, 2017
Everything is positive. I'm not going to put a negative review of an ex employer on a website that I am also using to find a job with. The benefits are outstanding as well as the pay. Other than that its luck of the draw really. There are many different job opportunities. some require more skill than others. Some also translate into the civilian world better than others. As far as promotion, and work environment goes it depends on the unit. For some units it is based on your work ethic and skill level. For others it is based on how popular you are with the right people. Everyone has a different experience, and mine had its ups and downs but overall I would say this is a positive review.
Experience of a life time
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, IAJanuary 25, 2017
As a full time member of the National Guard, it is generally like that of any full time employment. Daily requirements from personal fitness to managing the operations of a military unit.

As a military organization, there is great emphasis on professional development and job knowledge. As the leadership, we are to be the subject matter experts (SME) and promote the team unity of the organization.

The hardest part of the job is work/life balance. As members of the military, there are often times when personal situations take back seat to the needs of the unit or mission. Being able to make these sacrifices is sometime a challenge.

The best memories of my time of service is the comradery that was gained through years of service. These lifelong friendships will be remembered for years to come.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Pride of service, team unity, and since of accomplishment
Cons
Long hours of operation and seperation of family
Great organization to to join!
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  TennesseeDecember 15, 2016
I have been in the Guard for over six years and during my time I have had the opportunity to travel the U. S. on their dime, see other countries, further my education, and develop life and career skills that I probably would have never gained otherwise.

However, I would not recommend joining the Guard if you are in a tough spot as once you join you are obligated by a contract to complete your time in service.

The recruiter may tell you that a position is open close to you but ultimately the Guard will put you where THEY want you to be. Keep in mind that they will inconvenience you (seemingly) as often as possible, so pass your PT tests and use the benefits that they provide. That way them taking advantage of you will not seem so bad.
Pros
great benefits and real world experience in almost any field you can imagine
Cons
They use you whenever and wherever they want so keep in mind that you signed that contract
great place to work
Senior Adviser (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 25, 2017
typical work day was 10 hours and we worked a minimum of one weekend a month. Management was always assisting and concerned with your professional growth. The most demanding part of the job was the hours required to reach goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships that were built.
Pros
great benefits and pay.
Provide Excellent Work and LIfe Experince
Unit Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harlan, KYMarch 14, 2017
Great Organization to be apart of, teaches you discipline and time management. You get to travel and meet people from all over. Develop life long bonds with fellow soldiers.
Day to day operations run smoothly through strict management and and a sense of duty.The hardest part is having to deal with certain situations with lack of personnel. The most enjoyable part is that it doesn't feel like a job, more like a way of life.
Pros
Great Career Opportunity
Cons
Inconveniences personal life at times
The WY ARNG is a great place to work
Officer Wyoming Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 13, 2017
I started with the NG in College. The benefits nearly paid for all of my tuition and expenses. The guard is a fairly large organization and you make of it what you put in. In other words if you don't put any effort in you are most likely to get the minimal return. On the other hand if you maximize your effort and follow the rules get your work and professional development done on time every time the sky is literally the limit.
Pros
Military
Cons
Travel for Promotion
Productive and good compensation
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MN.March 21, 2017
One of the most challenging and rewarding organizations to work for
Officer Candidate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2017
-The training is intense and worth every effort to complete
-The Cadre (management/ training staff) is top notch, professional, and world class.
-Hardest part of the job is not to avoid injury.
-Most rewarding enjoyable part of the job is getting up knowing your part of something greater than yourself, your battle buddy has your back, and one's possibilities are endless.
Pros
Training, education, benefits, you get to serve and protect the people of the United States of America
An amazing life-changing experience
Federal Technician for Aviation Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 9, 2017
The job is flexible and rewarding. You can attain numerous skill sets, licensing, and certificates to increase your ability to get higher paying jobs within the organization. Retirement benefits are great and there is the pride in being a service member. State Activated Duty is amazing and being in California, there are plenty of emergencies!
Pros
Exceptional pay, excellecnt benefits, numerous training opportunities
Cons
long hours, travel, deployments
Interactive and multi-tasking
Company Commander (Captain) (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 23, 2016
Typical day of work is to achieve required training and classes while achieving operations in your job title. I learned to do every job to my best ability and to learn as much as you can. Job positions tend to change rapidly and you have to take advantage of the situation you're in while you can. Management is usually low. Excepting being a company commander or deployments, just a few Soldiers to track for their military education and advancement. Co-workers are on board in your area of operations for the same mission and a wealth of various knowledge to achieve mission goals. Hardest part of the job is to get subordinate Solders under my authority to achieve tasks for their own success. It is a constant task to push their own education and advancement. Most enjoyable part of the job is anytime there is plenty of movement, numbers of Soldiers, and a large mission.
Pros
Teamwork experience, Comradery, and sense of mission
Cons
Last minute changes to yearly plans due to objectives from higher sources.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5