National Guard
2,795 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

Being a soldier
12R Electrician of 882nd (Current Employee), Mount Airy, NCAugust 20, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: leaving home
Developing a relationship with people unlike your ordinary friendship. A whole new definition of family. The most enjoyable part developing the close bond with people from different walks of life. Hardest part of the job is deploying. Leaving loved ones behind with no guarantee to return during war.
great job
squad leader (Current Employee), middlesboroAugust 20, 2014
awesome expierence, lot of hands on work, made lots of friends, awesome benefits, alot of career benefits including retirement.
Loved the job
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good job, excellent benefits
Cons: they didnt advance me hardly, no encouragment
Love the job, like i said before that if i could, i would go active Army
Good people, good job, very balanced
Avionic Mechanic (Former Employee), Marietta, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, plenty of friends to be made
Cons: only one weekend a month unless you get pulled on as a technician
Come in, do your job, get things done and go home, one week end a month, not bad for additional income. Many adventures to be had and plenty of growth opportunities.
Corrections Officer
Military Police (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 20, 2014
Managing and maintaining of detainees. Support and complement detainee recovery and ongoing therapeutic treatment. Security of and sustaining necessary resources to aid in their recovery and release.
Fun again this time i was cooking
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee), Michoud, LAAugust 19, 2014
Preparing food for the service men and women of all branches of the service.

I learn how to cook for other than myself.

The military was always awesome.
A team building environment and a great work place
Infantry (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIAugust 19, 2014
Doing team exercises to make sure we get the job done right so every can survive
rewarding career
Logistics/ Transportation Officer, Captain (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2014
Life long military career from which I learned core competencies to build a successful civilian career
Productive workplace with a great attitude and room to grow and learn.
Platoon Sergeant / First Sergeant (Current Employee), Powderly, Texas; Unit Training & Equipment Site #1August 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: being deployed overseas extended periods
A typical day at work would be to look at the work order register and plan accordingly the work to be done by the workforce and parts available. Next have a maintenance meeting with mechanics to dole out work assignments and go over safety concerns or shop issues. Then inspect work done by mechanics or clerks to ensure it is correct and done to standard. – more... I would also have to forcast and budget service parts or unscheduled repairs for the upcoming quarter then year. Inspect shop for cleanliness and OSHA standards and make sure no Hazmat violations have occurred. My co-workers are mostly young and have to be trained and that is what I enjoy most about my job is being able to impart my 28 years of maintenance knowledge onto young energentic mechanics. – less
Learn something new everyday
Supply Technician (Current Employee), Augusta, GAAugust 19, 2014
Being Military for 15 + years I have learned quite a bit. I am STILL learning and growing because the Military is forever changing.
Reenlisting
Supervisor (Current Employee), Thomasville, GAAugust 19, 2014
I enjoy my job in supervising and training as well as the camaraderie with my fellow soldiers
Hard work and dedication
COMMUNICATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Fort LuptonAugust 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch, acknowledgment of duties
Cons: chaos
Coming into the military working hard is part of the job. Knowing and furthering all knowledge to obtain the best ability to do my job.
A place with great vision/mission - with challenges in the execution of those.
iversity Program Manager /ATS (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: peer-to-peer communication
Cons: lack of proper reporting structures
I love my job and I love and identify with the vision/mission. Unfortunately, the management style is mostly "reactive" instead of "intentional/pro-active", which makes it difficult to achieve measurable results.

It is even more challenging to demand accountability due to lack of processes and lack of IPMs and implementation of proper business processes.

Management – more... has good intentions and cares about its employees - the execution of the vision for family and employees is rather challenging and at times frustrating.

Hardest part of the job: to accept the fact that at times mediocrity is the standard and I cannot "make" people want to perform at their best and to work even harder to improve themselves and the agency.

Interacting with a lot of power players, visionaries, and peers who believe in vision/mission and proper execution of processes was invigorating and motivating. – less
Awsome job
Squad leader, drove 2 (Former Employee), Oxnard, CAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: see above
Great group of guys. Training was great. Track and wheeled vehicles.
Fun place to work
Military Occupational Specialist (Former Employee), Portsmouth, OHAugust 16, 2014
Meet people all around the world. Get to serve your country from your house. Pay is ok, but could be better.
Army
SGT/Team leader (Current Employee), Tiffin, OHAugust 16, 2014
Pros: brotherhood, sense of pride, life skills, discipline
Cons: pay, government
I love it....Too bad the government keeps cutting the amount of Soldiers that they want.
very fast pace enviornment with alot of moving parts
Labor Expediter (Current Employee), Douglas, GAAugust 16, 2014
my employment as a national guard member is exciting.
thru these past few years i have learned quite a bit about explosives, route recon and security. my co workers are great leaders who instilled discipline and work ethic into the enviornment.
Aviation Operations
Aviation Operation Specialist (Current Employee), Escondido CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: fun job
Cons: long hours
Process local and cross-country flight clearances
Check accuracy of flight plans and coordinate them
Maintain flight logs on incoming/outgoing flights and individual flight records Alert crash crews of emergencies Interpret and post weather reports
My review
Network Switching systems Operator (Current Employee), Sheffield, ALAugust 15, 2014
This job can be great for anyone. It all depends on how you look at the situation and what you take from it. Days can be extremely stressful but at the end of the day it has made you learn that much more.
Military establishment
cook (Former Employee), Lafayette,INAugust 14, 2014
I learned a lot of great cooking skills in this environment. Had a lot of great relationships with co-workers.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more