National Guard
4,023 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Productive and life changing enviroment
Sergeant/91H (Current Employee), Stow, OHJuly 7, 2015
great job. I would take the oath all over again if given a choice. A life changing experience. Very hard work but great reward.
On the move
Solider (Former Employee), USAJuly 7, 2015
This job was very rewarding. I loved it. I was always doing something and always helping others in there day to day tasks.
Professional Organization
Recruiting and Retention NCO (Current Employee), WisconsinJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in work days and excellent co-workers and organizational standards
Cons: Advancement beyond mid-career level is difficult and slow
This position challenges me each day to provide the highest level of knowledge and professionalism regarding the Wisconsin National Guard, and the goals and benefits associated with membership in the organization. Serving a market that varies in socio-economic status and education levels helped to sharpen my skills in finding particular customer needs and identifying the ways in which our organization can serve those needs.

In a typical day I converse with no less than 50 individuals by telephone, electronic correspondence, and primarily in person. I represent, market, and sell the National Guard to people found within my assigned area of responsibility.

The individuals on my team are all excellent and capable professionals. While each of us are given an individual accession goal, as a team we do very well at sharing market trends, advice, and strategies. The leadership in my organization is forward thinking and willing to share experience and advice when sought.

The hardest part of this job is working with a younger demographic that has difficulty making long-term commitments. By identifying reasons that this tends to be an issue, I am able to overcome this obstacle by creating a long term vision and strategy that my customers are able to recognize will benefit their goals.

The most enjoyable part of this job is my ability to help those who may not be able to pursue academic goals due to financial obstacles. By representing my organization with a high standard of integrity and honesty, I am able to identify and grow my organization with like minded individuals, while also benefiting those individuals with growth opportunity.
highly active job
o Carpentry and Masonry Specialist (Current Employee), Keyser, WVJuly 7, 2015
physical fitness is a must, teamwork is encouraged, haven't been out of basic long so I do not currently know what a typical day with my specific unit is like.
Great place to work at and expand your work experience and knowledge
Human Resource Assistant /Remote Designee (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: That you are not micro-managed
Cons: Not having a backup so had to plan things around Payroll.
I really enjoyed working here because your trusted with your work load. Help is there when its needed but you are left alone to finish your work. The management team is great and hears you out if needing or if you have recommendations. I enjoy working here and would work here again.
We gather together once a month to train and prepare to fight.
E-4 SPC Indirect Fire Infantryman (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Shooting weapons, Comraderie, Leadership skills
Cons: Slowly going deaf, High blood pressure, Drill dates change frequently
In a typical day in the Georgia National Guard I can be given as many as 100 different tasks to complete. All of which MUST be completed. Although I wont complete every one task personally. Many of these tasks I will delegate to the soldiers who I have the pleasure of leading. Then the very next day we will often come in at 0500 and completely undo or redo everything we had done the day prior in order to square the armory away and prepare for the next IDT.
Great work atmosphere
Security Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
Very motivating and energetic. Has a very comfortable atmosphere and gives leadership opportunities. Your able to effectively interact with people, coworkers and leadership.
A day in the Army
Signal Support System Specialist (Current Employee), Greenfield, IndianaJuly 6, 2015
I am in the Army National Guard. I am only on duty one weekend a month and two weeks every summer. Each weekend may vary with what I do depending on what we have going on for that month. As a 25 Uniform (signal support system specialist) I usually install and maintain the radios and other signal equipment.
ARMY STRONG
Data Entry, payroll and all clerical duties (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 6, 2015
I learned so much, while I was enlisted. I loved it and plan on returning to the National Guard one day. I did H work and also stayed in shape, with daily exercise and I learned so much.
Network Support Company Platoon Leader (Current Employee), Aurora, COJuly 6, 2015
Productive and efficient workplace with successful leadership that is able to complete all required tasks in a timely manner.
Military Life
Human Recourses Specialist (Current Employee), Cumming, GAJuly 6, 2015
Its just great to be part of an organization that stand for perfection. Though we know that perfectiob is seldom attainable. Still we strive
Great place to meet great people and get training you cannot find anywhere else.
Chemical specialist (Current Employee), Macomb, ILJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Teaching Leadership, Honor, Duty, Selfless Service, Loyalty, Respect, and many other traits to being a better person.
Cons: Long Days, Bad Pay
The most enjoyable part of my job as a Chemical Specialist in the U.S. Army would have to be shooting all the weapons. I have shot many different types and calibers and have done many things while enlisted.
Military
UH-60 Helicopter Pilot (Former Employee), Hilo, HIJuly 6, 2015
If you want to live a part time regimented lifestyle with the possibility of deploying overseas, there should be no complaints.
very stressful, busy and demanding job but comes with great satisfaction from serving others
Platoon Leader (Current Employee), Rockwood, TNJuly 5, 2015
Pros: great experience, difficult job that makes you better prepared for civilian jobs, good benefits
Cons: long hours, time away from family and friends, very high pressure and stressful situations
As it is the national guard, this is a one weekend a month commitment. Every weekend is unique throughout a year long cycle. Sometimes it will be a 3 day field training exercise where we do battle drills, missions, and troop leading procedures as if we are in enemy territory; while other weekends will be more administrative work where we perform counselings of soldiers, practice individual combat skills for everyone's position on the tank. Being in a leadership position, I have learned how to delegate tasks so you don't get overwhelmed and keep everyone actively involved, how to perform and communicate with multiple people while controlling 4 tanks in very stressful situations, and simply how to get results from those you are placed in charge of. The hardest part of this job is simply the commitment. I drive over 2 hours just to get to the job, and on drill weekends, my unit is typically working a minimum of 14 hours per day. Meanwhile, the most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of doing what 99% of Americans do not have the opportunity to do and the comradery that is built between you and your soldiers.
Love this job
infantryman (Former Employee), Bartonville ilJuly 5, 2015
Army infantry for 5 years great job. Have learned a lot about team work leadership and attention to detail is a big part of the infantry
Mission's
Sergeant/ E-5, Motor Transport Operator (Current Employee), Winston Salem, NCJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Train to standard, not to time.
Cons: The weather does not matter.
Conducting preventative maintenance on the truck and the trailer of a truck that only carries heavy equipment but is also able to carry light vehicles, filling out proper paperwork that the army guidelines and policies refer us too, and driving trucks wherever the mission requires us to go.
Its a fun and learning experience
Diver Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2015
On a normal trip headed to Chicago we would listen to the radio while the driver drives and I keep us headed the right direction. We would make pit stops to use the latrine and eat and we would meet some great people. The hardest part was staying awake on long trips but the scenery of the stars and moon would help keep us entertained with the help of energy drinks and snacks.
Enjoyable for all of the soldiers
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee), Duncansville, PAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Great work place
Cons: Could be more family oriented
The work environment is great along with all of the other soldiers. Many of us enjoy being with each other and working as a team and not as individuals
Produciton
Supervisor/Training NCO (Current Employee), Thomasville, GAJuly 4, 2015
The military has taught me so many values in life. I have gained personal growth. The hardest part of this job was waking up at 5am and it was cold outside to run pt.
California Guard is a good place but not every unit is great
SF Engineer (Current Employee), CaliforniaJuly 4, 2015
The command team dictates the culture of a unit. As of now the culture at A-5 19th is about as bad as it can get. People are leaving and I am one of them. The unit is not a good place to be right now. I hope that changes because the soldiers are great

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries