National Guard
3,737 reviews

National Guard United States Employee Reviews

Military work and Training.
Power Generation Technition (Former Employee), Ishpeming, MIApril 17, 2015
Pros: Learned how to work on a lot of equipment and met a lot of people.
Cons: At times we had a lapse in communcations. Made work a little frustrating at times.
I did work on power generators. Repaired and did basic maintenance on generators ranging from two Kilowatt generators to 60 Kilowatt generators. Made sure everyone had the correct power and did minor repair and maintenance on all wheeled vehicles for the Army.
Grat career
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee), Phila. PAApril 17, 2015
Pros: family atmosphere.
Cons: the job could be done more simply.
I worked under many great supervisors. I had many supervisors for different aspects of the job. All coomunicated well and worked for the advancement of my career in Logistics
Get a break from cilvian life.
Tank Fueler (Current Employee), Pratt, KSApril 16, 2015
Pros: Get to stay in a hotal room on the weekends we go to drill
Cons: Always on my weekends when I am supposed to have my son.
We do paperwork one day they we will have classes the next day along with drivers training. We check the trucks to make sure they are in working order for when we do missions. Most of our missions will be in Fort Riley, Kansas. I will get on top of the truck to measure the bulk fuel that is in the tanks. Which most months is zero since we are not aloud to have more then 300 gallons of bulk fuel at one time. Enlisting has taught me how to time manage better, to be on time, and getting back into shape. I would say the hardest part of the job is leaving my family when we go to Fort Riley for our two weeks on active duty. Most enjoyable part of this is the reward of putting that uniform on every month.
Best job of my life
Soldier-Unit Supply (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 16, 2015
Pros: Brotherhood and great training
Cons: none
I love being a soldier. I have given 7 years of my life to my country and I wouldn't change it for the world. I live and breath my job and still never get tired of it.
Great learning experience!
Signal Support Specialist (Current Employee), Caribou, MEApril 15, 2015
From day one at basic training to every day since, I have learned things. Some of these lessons may have not come easily, but they were well-learned and later used in some fashion. Not even just practical things, but even different ways of looking at things that have helped me to persevere and overcome any challenge life throws at me.
Mississippi National Guard
Infantry Sergeant (Current Employee), Poplarville MsApril 15, 2015
Very good organization. Great to serve your country and also have a home life and being part of something that is bigger than yourself.
great place to be with the guys doing your thang
Calvary Scout (Former Employee), Glen Jean, WVApril 15, 2015
Pros: free lunch and dinner and dental and health in surance
Cons: if you mess up up pay for it in exersize
you clean set though briefs and pmcs your vehicle. learn a lot of discipline on how to treat people and how to watch for signs of sue aside.
it's the Army
Radiology Sergeant (Current Employee), Springfield, ILApril 15, 2015
Team work environment focused on mission accomplishment. The money isn't all that great, but, I don't do it for the money. It is all about helping people and making their lives better.
Exciting career
Food Service Advisor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits, ability to learn new skills
Cons: Weather conditions
Very exciting job; advancement opportunities are available if you work hard and show you have the knowledge.

Hardest part of the job is the long hours and extreme weather conditions.
Busy but fun work environment
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2015
Pros: free meals, got to work with a lot of nice people
Cons: long hours
I only worked once a month for 2 days and 2 weeks in the summer for the national guard. But on a typical day i would report to pt (physical training) at 6:30 am. We did pt for about an hour or an hour and a half. Then we would change and be in formation at 8:00 am. In formation the First Sergeant would take roll to make sure everyone is there, then go over everything that needed done for the day. Usually we had some kind of training or classes. Then we would go to work. My job was human resources. My best friend worked in the same office as me, she was my partner. Any kind of paperwork issue someone had they would come to us and we would fix it, or send them to someone who could. We did prepared paperwork for promotions, awards, leave, unit transfers, and deployments. I also worked with the training sergeant. I helped him schedule and prepare for classes and training.
Great group of people to work with.
Management Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee), New Castle, DEApril 14, 2015
Great group of people to work with but if you are not a part of the click you will not go far. They have great work hours and great pay.
Excellent for young adults
PLL/TAMMS Clerk (Former Employee), Robbins, ILApril 14, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Dangerous Missions
Young adults could benefit from all aspects of the National Guard. Education, training and health care along with many other aspects.
Productive and professional organization to work for. Community driven and fun culture.
Senior Human Resource Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: Supporting the military
Cons: Must be a member of the military
Must be a member of the military, but a great opportunity for those who are traditional guardsmen and women. Will develop a skill set and train individuals. Great leadership training and provides reputable skill sets that are relevant to civilian market.
Wonderful clinical experience for Masters of Social Work field placement
Intern with the Psychological Health Coordinator (Current Employee), Lansing, MIApril 14, 2015
My time at the National Guard has been spent as an MSW intern working with the Psychological Health Coordinator. I had the opportunity to spend one day per week at the Michigan Army National Guard Headquarters in Lansing, MI as well as one day per week at Silver Star low income housing in Battle Creek, MI. At headquarters, I completed intakes, bio-psycho-social assessments, made referrals, and helped create treatment plans/goals for clients. When I was at Silver Star, I led an MST support group for the female veterans that resided in that facility.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at the National Guard. I have learned so much about the military culture, working with service members, and utilizing different types of therapy. My supervisor has been incredibly supportive and willing to help me expand my knowledge base in this field.
Wide variety of experience
Human Resource Specialist/Military Police (Current Employee), Walton, KYApril 14, 2015
Pros: benefits such as school, health insurance, great working environment
Cons: Time spent away from home
As a Full Time National Guard Soldier I have two positions. I am Military Police on drill weekends and I work an administrative position through the week (sometimes on drill weekends). There are parts of my position that are monotonous. Those parts would include reviewing Soldier records to ensure accuracy, updating life insurance and emergency contact information, keeping Soldiers medically fit, and promoting/advancing Soldiers. It is also my job to be a subject matter expert on things such as separations (and any thing that can separate a Soldier), Family Care Plans, awards, physical fitness, and advising our Commander on his limitations and requirements for our company.
Go Guard!
Corporal (Former Employee), OhioApril 14, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Pay
The Guard is a great place to learn important life skills that you will always have with you. A simple and pure brotherhood.
job description
29 E Electronic Warfare Specialist- Plans NCO (Current Employee), MarylandApril 14, 2015
Operations plans NCO for the electronic warfare advising aspect to the S-3 Section in creation of op orders. Also given the duties of an everyday soldier.
Great opportunities
Public Affairs Officer (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 14, 2015
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Duty
Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 13, 2015
Pros: Respect
Cons: Goevernment
Service was worthwhile, learned new tactics and traits every day. Was pushed to the limit and enjoyed every aspect of the Army National Guard.
Exciting and Demanding
UH-60 Black Hawk Crew Chief/Mechanic (Current Employee), Los Alamitos, CAApril 13, 2015
Pros: An exciting adventure
Cons: Long demanding hours
I am a UH-60 Blackhawk Crew Chief. I not only preform the maintenance on the Blackhawk I also fly on them. I am responsible of all aspects of protecting the bird as well as the crew. Flying in these amazing Helicopters is better than any roller coaster you could imaging.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries