National Guard
3,547 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

PA Army National Guard
Stryker Vehicle Commander (Current Employee), Sergeant, PAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: educational benefits, health insurance etc.
Cons: the hours are incredibly fluid and dictated by situational needs
The typical workday includes a variety of physical tasks, administrative duties, training, and classes.
Management as expected is firm and more often than not fair
The military is a mash up of different people from across the country requiring you to work with multiple personalities
The job itself can be incredibly difficult or incredibly easy depending upon the needs handed down by Military Officers
The variety of experience, locale, and people is the most enjoyable part of this job
productive work place that helps build character
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 2, 2015
we train one weekend out the month and 2 weeks out the year.
I've learned leadership skills work ethic,
my leaders are very supportive and motivating.
my co-workers and i work together as a team to accomplish our task.
the hardest part of my job is the high stress level environment and leaving my family for long periods of time.
the most enjoyable part of my job is when people come and thank me for my service
Fun at times other times not
electronic detection system repair (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 2, 2015
The National Guard can be great, but it can also be awful at times. You will run into those NCOs the think the are gods gift to earth and no matter what you do is wrong. However it has been a great experience and when you find the right sergeants you will have a great time and they will help you excel in all you do.
SUPPLY
SUPPLY (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MOMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great work envirnment
Cons: long days
I really did working for the Army. The only thing that I did not really like was when I was in the Navy my job didn't convert over to really anything that I wanted to do.
Greatest Career
92W Water Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Lee, VAMarch 2, 2015
A typical day in the National Guard is all about understanding your part. Everyone plays their role and do their jobs for a bigger task.You could easily find your self learning other trades. One day you may be a mechanic the next you may be a cook. All depends on where you are needed so my job goes beyond the purification of turbid water.
Fast paced, disciplined environment
Private First Class - Food Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Rosemount, MNMarch 2, 2015
Pros: get to serve my country
Cons: pay
typical day starts in the kitchen at 5 am and ends at 5 pm. Your spent preparing food from 5 am to 10:45 am for lunch service at 11 am to 1 pm. We serve anywhere from 50 to 400 soldiers on any giving day.
always had new experiences
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 1, 2015
Pros: able to see and experinc new places
Cons: downtime was so boring
During downtime it was inactive but once we had a mission to accomplish all hands were on board. we learned and experienced many new things and made many new friends.
military
Soldier (Former Employee), Lincolnton, NCMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great values
Cons: war
help you value your life.
give you a guid
very good management
co- wokers is very good
the hardest part was the training.
we I went to different place
Great
Air Defense Battle Management System Operator (Current Employee), SCMarch 1, 2015
The national guard is a great place to work and further your career in anything you would like to do. it has great benefits and pay with opportunities to go to school for free.
Learning organizational function and management
Mechanic (Current Employee), Fort Chaffee, ARMarch 1, 2015
I maintain wheel vehicles to support artillery maneuver and provide automobile support to an artillery company by diagnosing and troubleshooting mechanical problem.
I learned team-work skills and communications. I also understood the hierarchical system, responsibility, and authority.
I have held there different jobs while I have attend to college as full-time.
I always have been curiosity and desired to learn new idea and skills, and I have observed other positions and functions in my job. I have enjoyed my position because I expended my horizon through different experiences and making critical decisions.
It's a military job
Automated Supply Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Piqua, OHMarch 1, 2015
Pros: only meet one weekend a month and two weeks a year
Cons: must meet height/weight req's and you're in a contract for 4-6 yrs
As it states in the summary, It's a military position only for military personnel or contractors. on any typical day, I might be doing inventory or supply work, and another I might be running errands for our section chief. something new every day.
Interesting to get to know fellow soldiers from varios backgrounds
Medic (Former Employee), Flint, MIFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: advanced in rank rapidly
Cons: the military comes first and family second
I trained other medics on basic life saving techniques. I also put my skills to work when duty called. Very satisfying job knowing you are helping fellow soldiers through their illness or injury.
Military Service
IT Technician (Current Employee), Natick, MAFebruary 28, 2015
I have been a Soldier in an Active Duty Component for eight years. I joined the National Guard and from just the short time I have been a soldier, I wish I would have stayed in the Guard many years ago.
Learning
92Y / Unit Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Dillon, SCFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: experiences
Cons: away from family
The national Guard to me was a great learning curve that I think all American should go through. I got to travel the world and experience a lot of cultures in the process. I learned a lot of life skills that can be put towards just about any experience I encounter in the civilian world.
Proud to be a member of the Maryland Army National Guard!
11C Indirect Fire Infantryman (Current Employee), Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: gi bill, survival skills
Cons: small time windows for training.
Learning new skills in security. The guard teaches you all skills that a active soldier would have. You just don't get all the training to get the muscle memory. I have awesome NCO's! Only doing weekends makes hard work to get the mission completed.
Structured and Only work one weekend a month
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Greenbelt, MDFebruary 27, 2015
Monthly duties of a Petroleum Supply Specialist in the National Guard.
Duties that are required for being apart of the National Guard.
Hard work that develops you into a professional
Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
There's a lot of sacrifices that you have to make. In the end this all gives you time management skills as well as discipline. There are a lot of rules and regulations that you have to follow.

What you put into it, you will definitely get out.
Military environment with civilian co-workers
Financial Services Technician (Current Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 26, 2015
Typical office environment - working with multiple computer systems to ensure prompt payment of outstanding contracts
Awesome people and learning environment
Petroleum Supply Specialist (92F) (Current Employee), Shelbyville, INFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: being a part of something worthy
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work is roll call followed by an awesome experience daily. I find myself looking forward to the next weekend drill every month. The co-workers are friendly and knowledgeable and are willing to help. the hardest part of the job is training out in the elements but the most rewarding is the experience you get from the training.
good people
transportation operator (Former Employee), Sturgis MiFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: learn new things and meet many new people
Cons: deployments
formation at 0730 receive daily task and perform given task. stack trailers and properly secure them downwith chains and binders and un load other trailers and then re-stack them.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more