National Guard
3,864 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Good experience, poor managment
15w Operator (Current Employee), Gatesville, TXMay 27, 2015
Pros: Good opportunities; good people to work with, excellent benefits
Cons: Poor managment of people and money; soldiers do not come first. Morale is low, micromanagment is high
Good people to work with, nice people willing to help you out when you are new. However, new upper management has micromanaged the unit into worthlessness. High turnover and poor morale. Upper management will not listen to lower workers who have years of experience in the field and makes his own decisions; decisions that are not conducive to the Army values.
Place of good job environment and ethic.
Currently an Infantry Sergeant (Current Employee), miamiMay 27, 2015
As an infantryman a typical day consists on training my soldiers on battle tactics, maintain accountability plus writing reports as needed.
its a good place to start
12N Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), TN,FLMay 27, 2015
Pros: learn skills
Cons: long hours
its a good way to start in a field to help you in life later. or you can stick with it and retire with the army. is also a good way to meet different types of people from around the world
The best thing about being in the military is the uniform.
11c indirect fire infantryman. (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Sleeping bags.
Cons: no sleep, rest.
Every time I show up to work, its never the same. We have so much to do with little time and tasks need to be completed. Anywhere from going to the field at Fort Irwin,CA, or Camp Roberts in northern CA, we train as mortar men and practice the systems by hand and MFCS(computed mortar systems) on our track vehicles. We as a team work together or life will be hard being an individual. My co workers having the most experience, being prior military in the marine corps or active duty in the army, have the most knowledge and are great teachers in this field being they have multiple deployments. Ive learned a lot about my job quickly, became an expert on the gun thanks to my co workers. Being physically fit is important, not just for the job but to pass required PT test. I don't find anything hard about what I do because I love it, although others would say im crazy and it looks difficult. Its easy to me and I love it. The best part about it is being on the gun with 120mm mortars and letting them fly. An experience not everyone gets to have but its definitely something I would highly recommend.
Productive work environment
Senior Human Resources Operations Manager (Former Employee), Columubs, OhioMay 27, 2015
Pros: Effective cross functional teams
Cons: politics from senior leaders wanting to get ahead
Productive work environment, it was great working for a values-based organization. It was difficult to manage the politics and personalities of the leaders senior to you, which had a tendency to affect day-to-day work.
valuable career
Combat Medic (Former Employee), Duluth, MNMay 27, 2015
Pros: defend your country
Cons: rough environment
Teaches life skills that serve for more purposes than a career, but also personal skills. Obtained skills with attention to detail through mental and physical military combat and medical training with the U.S. Army. Developed the ability to train others by teaching combat life saver skills to my peers and co-workers
Good benefits, good pay
Networking Sergeant (Former Employee), Athens, TNMay 26, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: advancements
One weekend a month packed with maintenance and training. Learned how to set up networks and maintain networks. Meeting individuals from different parts of the local cities and start to build relationships as a unit
Team work
Platoon Leader (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMay 26, 2015
Great opportunities to develop self and others. Having fun while in training and learning environments. Overall it is best decision so far in my life. I would recommend National Guard to anyone looking structure and improvement in life, but still needing that time for their civilian life.
The Skills of a soldier
Field Artillery Tactical Data Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, IllinoisMay 26, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
One weekend a month I train at my unit to practice our warrior leadership skills. That goes by practicing land navigation, physical training, battle formations, practice missions, weapons dismantling, and drill and ceremony.
Good opportunities are available to all who qualify
Operations and Training Manager (Current Employee), Fort Stewart, GAMay 26, 2015
Some pros are that you can work with the people you have known. The job location could be close to your home. One weekend a month and two weeks out of the year is still a typical requirement. For advancement, more time will be required in order to complete additional schools necessary to obtaining the knowledge to lead at the next level.
Okay place to work
Account Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MSMay 25, 2015
Pros: little interaction outside of military
Cons: short lunch
You work 9 hour days (5/4) off every other Monday. 7 am to 4:40 and 30 min for lunch. It just depends on what dept. you work for. The management can vary based on where you work. Not a bad place to work if you have a great boss.
Great opportunities!
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMay 24, 2015
An employee has the opportunity to provide a great service to their community. Education opportunities are plentiful. Must meet physical and mental demands of the job. Fast paced and great employment opportunities.
Great training
Infantryman (Current Employee), Union, SCMay 24, 2015
You learn each month on how to be a solider and a citizen. Once your in you join the biggest and most supportive family on the face of the earth.
Military Telecommunications Technicain
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Robinson, ARMay 23, 2015
Pros: Opportunity
Cons: Limited Income
Duties include Ordering, Inventorying, Repairing, Maintaining, Operating & Training of Military Telecommunications Systems and assemblies down to the component level. Served on BN Staff in support of all Field Training Exercises.
Productive place to work
Maintenance Control NCO (Current Employee), Raeford, NCMay 23, 2015
Once a month unit training in preparation for local or national emergencies in the state of North Carolina. Includes once per year two week annual training.
Leaders are formed here
94M Radar Repairer (Current Employee), Clackamas, ORMay 23, 2015
You will hurdle obstacles physically and mentally. You will learn skills that translate into civilian jobs and gain experience that can’t be taught in a classroom. You will face challenges and learn to overcome them.

With your well-earned sense of pride and selflessness, people will look to you in the moment of need. You will rebuild the lives of friends and neighbors after a devastating disaster, or travel the globe to bring basic human needs to a third-world village. Your sense of purpose and impact on the world around you will never waver again.
Good Experience
Task Force Battle Captian (Current Employee), Weslaco, TXMay 23, 2015
This position provided me the opportunity to utilize my previous knowledge of leadership and operational planning to its full capacity. I was ranked high amongst my peers when performing my duties and lead from the front when accomplishing tasks.
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), Southaven, MSMay 22, 2015
Although work conditions can become hostile, I feel very safe at this workplace. The superiors give out clear and precise orders. Everyone is able to communicate well with one another and the pay is decent due to only drilling twice a month
Outstanding
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Fort Gordon, GAMay 21, 2015
Fun And Entertaining you get to participate in many different activities and training. We get to do more than expected inside and outside our job description.
It's the military... ish.. haha
Military Police Team Leader/Sergeant/ E-5 (Former Employee), Hartselle, ALMay 21, 2015
Pros: EXPERIENCES!!!!
Cons: the cons are different for each person.
If you enjoy making friends and creating a bond with people that you will hold in such a high regard this is a great opportunity. The National Guard forwarded me MANY great opportunities to do things I never would have dreamed of doing before joining. The only downfall of the National Guard, from my point of view, is being "part time" so you don't have the opportunity to train on actual missions or tasks as much as an active unit may. Most of the drill weekends were very dull and full of "busy work". BUT, the times that you get to travel the world or the country and to do things you have never thought about doing before STRONGLY OUTWEIGH the dull weekends. There is a bit of a problem with the "Good 'Ol Boy System", but I believe that is an issue in active or reserve military. Having said that, it's not as bad as some make it out to be as long as you do what you are supposed to do then the "Good Ol Boys" will not even effect you. They seem to live for drill weekends to be able to wear their rank and push people around, but they don't bother people who do what they are supposed to.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries