National Guard

4.3K reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

A ridiculously ifficult and one of the most rewarding career paths that any person up to the challenge can take
Specialist (Current Employee), Terre Haute, INAugust 31, 2015
Pros: teamwork, life skills and personal development/ motivation
Cons: unavoidable bureaucracy
The National Guard is a career with long hard days of no sleep and hard labor blended with close brotherhood and a hint of humor where it can be found. it is without a doubt one of the best decisions I have ever made with my life and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Productive and great place to work
Sergeant E-5 (Current Employee), Cheboygan, MIAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Advancement opportunities/ learn a lot.
Cons: Long days (not really a con)
My unit is very driven for success. We are always training and learning something. I feel like this is a great environment to advance. They really make sure that you know your stuff and if you don't they – more... are really willing to work with you so that you know it. They are big on taking responsibility for your actions and advancement. Which I love. We are compensated fairly. What we don't make in pay our education and health care benefits makes up for. – less
An exciting place to work, constantly training
Soldier (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCAugust 30, 2015
-I learn how to work as a team to complete the mission
-Everyone puts the mission above all else
-Constantly in the field or learning on new technologies
Practice of Army Values and proficient task and drills.
Human Resource Specialist (42A) (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Affordable healthcare, networking, specialized training
Cons: Not full time, limited to promote
I enjoy everything about being in the Oregon Army National Guard. I've gained many skills through out my career within them. Typically a weekend at drill is detail oriented, planned out and executed in – more... a timely matter. The most difficult part of the job is waiting on instruction from higher so that we may continue mission. There can be a lot of down time but most leaders give us pocket training to keep us busy. My coworkers are amazing, we support each other professionally without hesitation. The same goes for our management, out first line leaders are always on top of their game. – less
Very demanding place to work
Platoon Sergeant/Squad Leader for 15 soldiers (Current Employee), New Albany, InAugust 29, 2015
Typical day would be to operate heavy equipment all day. I am a instructor on all equipment. I have been a supervisor for the past 2 years. I enjoy going to work everyday and giving it 110%. I can't really say the hardest part of my job.
Crew Member (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 28, 2015
This is a great work environment it helps you build your leadership skills while serving your state & Country also while receiving benefits.
Patritots
Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAAugust 27, 2015
Working with a great group of soldiers that were dedicated to protecting their country just as I was. Always had the proper equipment.
Great to serve our country
Power Generator Mechanic/ Soldier (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 26, 2015
Great place to learn and develop trade skills. You receive the opportunity work and interact with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
mind numbing
Supply/Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, WVAugust 26, 2015
this place had poor management, and lack of focus. all work and no play. health risk, treated people more as tools rather than workers. as long as you were healthy and productive your job was safe
Great life skills and good experience.
NCOIC for G5 Plans and Exercises (Current Employee), Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Professional advancement, education paid for, and the best medical package out there.
Cons: Long hours and work some weekends.
Active duty military in the Army National Guard has been a great experience with huge amounts of opportunity to grow as a Soldier and a leader. Educational benefits are priority with the National Guard – more... and the medical package is second to none. The environment can be political, especially noticeable in the higher rank, but that comes with the business of being in a great military institution.

If you are willing to give 100%, you have the ability to grow and develop professionally and educationally. Opportunities abound and I recommend the military to everyone who can join. – less
Great opportunity
Logistics Specialist/Platoon Leader (Former Employee), Fort Bliss, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: none
While in the military I developed the necessary skills to utilize through my career in order to get people to follow me. The military taught me a lot about becoming a great leader and acting with integrity.
Great Benefits
Supply Sergeant (Current Employee), Jefferson City, MOAugust 26, 2015
It is a great place to work but can be very challenging for a single parent with the amount of travel that is required. Good people to work with. Excellent health insurance and paid time off benefits.
Great for temporary assignments
Health Care Specialist/Combat Medic/ Lead Medic (Former Employee), Brownwood, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: plenty of assignments
Cons: stability
Great office/admin leads.
communication with employment managers was perfect.
finding consistent contracts for fulltime employment was difficult.
Diverse environment
Infantry Fire Team Leader (Current Employee), Bartonville, IllinoisAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Learning different approaches to different problems
Cons: working with soldiers who were not team players
A "typical" day at work varied so much that no one day was the same. Our day could include briefings, land navigation, Military Operations in Urban Terrain training, or simply just flexible time for training – more... needed by our subordinates. It was during these days that I would learn to work with the three to eight individuals that I was in charge of as well as who I was working with. The diverse background made training each soldier a hurdle but one that I overcame. This was also how I made new friends that I knew I could count on if the time ever arrived. – less
Very team orientated, time management skills are a must.
Combat Engineer Platoon Sergeant (Current Employee), Wellford, SCAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Serving my country, retirement and heathcare when I turn 60 years old.
Cons: It's sometimes a dangerous line of work. But we are well trained to deal with it.
Missions of combat engineers are very versatile in todays Army. From clearing routes of explosives for combat and supply elements. To creating an obstacle to slow down or divert changing the enemies direction of approach. Digging in entrenchments for fortified protection from enemy fire to breaching obstacle under fire.
One of the best experiences of my life
Radio Transmission Operator (Former Employee), Anniston, ALAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Good work environment, steady pay check
Cons: Odd hours at times, and there is a lot of down time.
My job was not very typical when it comes to being employed by the National Guard. I enjoyed the responsibility of being the firing desk operator and often trained new employees on how to do the job. The higher management was always considerate of any needs I may have had, and I never had any complaints about then. The only reason I left was because my contract was up with the military.
Team work and communication
Fine Jewelry Lead (Current Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 25, 2015
The United State Army is all about team building and communication. The Army install upon you the meaning of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal courage. The Army build life long friends, develop a tolerance to pain and learn to appreciate the simple things in life, and the revered title of Veteran.
Not for the feint of heart
Human Resources Sergeant (Current Employee), Auburn, NYAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Stability, Benefits, Advancement, Health Conscious Culture
Cons: Stress, combat and hazardous conditions, variable lack of freedoms
To this day I do not regret my decision to join the National Guard. Although I originally joined in order to pay for college, every aspect of my life has benefited in some way from my experiences as a – more... Soldier. I have learned invaluable life skills such as integrity, determination, and leadership. If I had neglected to join, I am certain that I would not be the same independent, conscientious and productive member of society that I am today. Being a Soldier tests your resolve and forces you to transcend your own limitations. I am grateful for who I have become thanks to the National Guard. – less
Learning and Troubleshooting
25U-Signal Support Systems Specialist (Current Employee), El Paso, TexasAugust 25, 2015
They Typical work day consist of countableity of all sensitive items, working hard on getting communications up and running to allow unit the ability to talk digitally while encrypted.
Great oppurtunity
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee), Springfield, MOAugust 24, 2015
Fullfilling. Great part time job. Endless oppurtunities. Serve your Country, see the world, get your education paid for, learn new skills.
Headquarters