National Guard

4.3K reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Crew Member (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 28, 2015
This is a great work environment it helps you build your leadership skills while serving your state & Country also while receiving benefits.
Patritots
Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAAugust 27, 2015
Working with a great group of soldiers that were dedicated to protecting their country just as I was. Always had the proper equipment.
Great to serve our country
Power Generator Mechanic/ Soldier (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 26, 2015
Great place to learn and develop trade skills. You receive the opportunity work and interact with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
mind numbing
Supply/Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, WVAugust 26, 2015
this place had poor management, and lack of focus. all work and no play. health risk, treated people more as tools rather than workers. as long as you were healthy and productive your job was safe
Great life skills and good experience.
NCOIC for G5 Plans and Exercises (Current Employee), Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Professional advancement, education paid for, and the best medical package out there.
Cons: Long hours and work some weekends.
Active duty military in the Army National Guard has been a great experience with huge amounts of opportunity to grow as a Soldier and a leader. Educational benefits are priority with the National Guard and the medical package is second to none. The environment can be political, especially noticeable in the higher rank, but that comes with the business of being in a great military institution.

If you are willing to give 100%, you have the ability to grow and develop professionally and educationally. Opportunities abound and I recommend the military to everyone who can join.
Great opportunity
Logistics Specialist/Platoon Leader (Former Employee), Fort Bliss, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: none
While in the military I developed the necessary skills to utilize through my career in order to get people to follow me. The military taught me a lot about becoming a great leader and acting with integrity.
Great Benefits
Supply Sergeant (Current Employee), Jefferson City, MOAugust 26, 2015
It is a great place to work but can be very challenging for a single parent with the amount of travel that is required. Good people to work with. Excellent health insurance and paid time off benefits.
Great for temporary assignments
Health Care Specialist/Combat Medic/ Lead Medic (Former Employee), Brownwood, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: plenty of assignments
Cons: stability
Great office/admin leads.
communication with employment managers was perfect.
finding consistent contracts for fulltime employment was difficult.
Diverse environment
Infantry Fire Team Leader (Current Employee), Bartonville, IllinoisAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Learning different approaches to different problems
Cons: working with soldiers who were not team players
A "typical" day at work varied so much that no one day was the same. Our day could include briefings, land navigation, Military Operations in Urban Terrain training, or simply just flexible time for training needed by our subordinates. It was during these days that I would learn to work with the three to eight individuals that I was in charge of as well as who I was working with. The diverse background made training each soldier a hurdle but one that I overcame. This was also how I made new friends that I knew I could count on if the time ever arrived.
Very team orientated, time management skills are a must.
Combat Engineer Platoon Sergeant (Current Employee), Wellford, SCAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Serving my country, retirement and heathcare when I turn 60 years old.
Cons: It's sometimes a dangerous line of work. But we are well trained to deal with it.
Missions of combat engineers are very versatile in todays Army. From clearing routes of explosives for combat and supply elements. To creating an obstacle to slow down or divert changing the enemies direction of approach. Digging in entrenchments for fortified protection from enemy fire to breaching obstacle under fire.
One of the best experiences of my life
Radio Transmission Operator (Former Employee), Anniston, ALAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Good work environment, steady pay check
Cons: Odd hours at times, and there is a lot of down time.
My job was not very typical when it comes to being employed by the National Guard. I enjoyed the responsibility of being the firing desk operator and often trained new employees on how to do the job. The higher management was always considerate of any needs I may have had, and I never had any complaints about then. The only reason I left was because my contract was up with the military.
Team work and communication
Fine Jewelry Lead (Current Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 25, 2015
The United State Army is all about team building and communication. The Army install upon you the meaning of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal courage. The Army build life long friends, develop a tolerance to pain and learn to appreciate the simple things in life, and the revered title of Veteran.
Not for the feint of heart
Human Resources Sergeant (Current Employee), Auburn, NYAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Stability, Benefits, Advancement, Health Conscious Culture
Cons: Stress, combat and hazardous conditions, variable lack of freedoms
To this day I do not regret my decision to join the National Guard. Although I originally joined in order to pay for college, every aspect of my life has benefited in some way from my experiences as a Soldier. I have learned invaluable life skills such as integrity, determination, and leadership. If I had neglected to join, I am certain that I would not be the same independent, conscientious and productive member of society that I am today. Being a Soldier tests your resolve and forces you to transcend your own limitations. I am grateful for who I have become thanks to the National Guard.
Learning and Troubleshooting
25U-Signal Support Systems Specialist (Current Employee), El Paso, TexasAugust 25, 2015
They Typical work day consist of countableity of all sensitive items, working hard on getting communications up and running to allow unit the ability to talk digitally while encrypted.
Great oppurtunity
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee), Springfield, MOAugust 24, 2015
Fullfilling. Great part time job. Endless oppurtunities. Serve your Country, see the world, get your education paid for, learn new skills.
great learning experience
Cable Systems Installer Maintainer (Current Employee), westheimer armoryAugust 24, 2015
Pros: lunch, work experience, knowledge
Great place to learn jobs provided, as well as making connections with others.Get to learn more than one job.

Days are about average depending on what needs to be accomplished etc.
Leadership
Section Sergeant (Former Employee), Taylor, TXAugust 24, 2015
I gained a vast amount of experience as a leader with this organization. It improved my learning and teaching abilities.
Infantry fire support
Mortar Gunner (Former Employee), Salem, ILAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed it very much. We also help out our State with national disasters. We work one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer we have our high training exercise.
My typical day on the job
Management Analyst and Accounting (Former Employee), Latham, NYAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Benifits of Career
Typically come in, check for any new assignments from boss, set up all persons required if we have conference call to review Equipment maintenance difficulties. I learned many different ways to review and analyze data provided from several different sources to provide a clearer picture of logistical, monetary and personnel to complete the job. Management always had an open door policy and willing to provide guidance. My coworkers were always pleasant and willing to help. Hardest part of my job was to always be at 100% physically even when ill. I loved serving my country and protecting those I love and those in this country. I loved protecting and serving
Loved it
Engineer/Specialist (Former Employee), Gate City, VAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Nothing comes close to military life, travel the world, get experiences you will not find anywhere else.
Cons: if leadership isn't what it should be you will hate it, outdated and often unsafe tools/equipment
Life in the military is unlike anything else I've ever experienced.

I could go on and on about the opportunities I had while in the service however most people hear that often therefore I will elaborate on the downsides.

There are plenty of smart individuals who are in the service and many plan on retiring from there and due to this it can take forever for a leadership position to open up unless you want to transfer. Many times you are lucky and end up working with some truly great individuals and honestly that's hard to walk away from.

I've seen and heard horror stories about individuals who had really awful leadership either as officers or NCO's. If you have really awful leadership or said leadership doesn't like you then this will be the worst experience of your life (more so if you're active duty).

In a lot of ways the military is behind the times especially when it comes to training at reserve units and the tools we have on hand. The only issue I ran into was I couldn't drive a stick very well and that's all I got flak over however this was coming from people who hen pecked on a keyboard and many refused to use a computer. Obviously something was wrong with this picture.

During my time I traveled overseas twice and also worked with the red cross during a federal disaster and it was honestly a once in a lifetime experience. I worked with people from all branches of service (even coast guard) and I miss it often.
Headquarters