National Guard
3,399 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

Program Manager (Current Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: healthcare, leave, work schedule, travel
Cons: mobilization
A typical work day at the JFH is very hectic and stressful at times, but for the most part a great place to work. I have learned to work with personnel of rank above Colonel on various matters like budgets, funds control, money management & presenting briefs as well. Our management is very laid back.They allow you to do your job & give you advice when needed. My coworkers are great to work with, we all seem to get along and there isn't much animosity. I currently manage about 45 million dollars in Federal funds and manage several million rounds of ammunition. Getting folks in the units to adhere to policy is the hardest job. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to provide services to units so they can train. Our office corresponds with National Guard Bureau in Washington D.C.We travel a good bit throughout the state & around the country.
Great leaders, fantastic employees, good training.
Infantryman (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: free lunch, good work environment
Cons: work starts early on weekends.
The National Guard is great. Leaders work hard to make things run as smoothly as possible, the co-workers have a good attitude, and the training is worthwhile. The part I look forward to the most is the shooting range events, it's a fun time all around. Things I've learned are equipment management and accountability, how to work in small and large groups, and to get the job done with limited information.
a very humbling experience every time im in uniform
91F Small arms and Artillery Specialist (Current Employee), Starke, FLJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: the title of being the army.
Cons: only three small meals a day.
most days we are performing preventative maintenance on vehicles and weapons, the day goes by usually very smoothly everyone is focused on their sections of work and everyone is fully qualified in the assigned jobs they have the hardest part of the job has to be the physical part but the long hours is definatly a hard thingbut its all worth it because at the end of the day your doing something bigger than yourself.
Military
Dental Sergeant (Current Employee), Eastover, SCJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great training
Cons: limited benefits
The National Guard offers many opportunities to grow and learn new skills.
Great Team-Building
Air Defense Artillery Officer (Current Employee), Anderson, SCJanuary 26, 2015
Great part time military service obligation. Meet great people and make everlasting friends.
satisfaction of knowing you helped someone make a life changing commitment
Human Resources Assistant Military (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 26, 2015
a typical day would be to validate all information that is given is true complete and to the best knowledge of each individual.
what I have learned and the hardest part would be that not everyone is qualified to join the military and to counsel those individuals on why they are not qualified
Extremely rewarding work environment that promotes initiative and fosters teamwork.
Operations Officer (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: camraderie, leadership and staff skills development, service to state and nation.
Cons: predictability of hours, limited full time employment opportunities, travel to worksite.
Professional development at both the leader and staff officer levels. Typically the day starts with meetings and open class discussions about various topics. Then we work on staff level products dealing with planning and preparation of operational assignments and tasks. The most enjoyable aspects of the job and career are the relationships built on respect and trust with the other members of the organization. The hardest part of the job is the lack full time employment opportunities and distances traveled to worksites.
The Nation Guard has a different mentality than the active US Army
Flight Operations Specialist (E-4) (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: part time job
Cons: part time job
There is no typical day in the guard because you only go to work two or three days a month. You learn the same things as in being on active duty.
Goal oriented work place
Maintenance Readiness NCO (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: self paced
Cons: job security
self pacing environment with new challenges. subordinate supervision is a must
it was good
Wheeled vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee), Elizabethtown Ky,42701January 23, 2015
Pros: great working exparance
Cons: long hours at time's
I have leared alot form working here graet social skills and learned how too mange a small platoon of soldiers.
Hard work
PLATOON LEADER (Current Employee), MississppiJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: medical
Cons: deployment
A PL is a manager of a platoon. You work closely with a Platoon Sargent.
Horrible experience
Squad Leader/ Platoon Sergeant (Former Employee), North Canton, OHJanuary 23, 2015
I joined the Ohio Army National Guard because after leaving the military, I realized that I missed it. The Unit that I was assigned to was disorganized, and the people in charge did not care whether they were doing their job correctly.

I had submitted my paperwork to the unit multiple times, which should have updated my information, which would have put me at the top of the promotion list. Unfortunately, every time I submitted my paperwork, it somehow disappeared. Missing paperwork was not an uncommon occurrence for this unit, and I know of several soldiers who literally had their lives destroyed because of this fact.

One gentleman who had a fractured spine from his service to The National Guard could not receive compensation because his paperwork was never processed, and then lost. He then contracted a disease from a tick bite that he received at annual training. He was sent home early, and hospitalized. The paperwork was never processed. He then could not work, lost his job, his wife left him, and he continues to struggle with the government to provide documentation that it was service related.
Physical and challenging work
ENG (Former Employee), Union City, TNJanuary 23, 2015
Spent most of time operating and PMCS Equipment. Worked on many projects state side and over seas.
I love the guard
PFC (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJanuary 22, 2015
I maintain my military bearings, maintain military vehicles, assist other soldiers, and ensure a great environment.
Intelligence LNO
Liaison (Current Employee), Aman, Jordan KOSTOCJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great working their
Cons: not long enough
• EAGER LION 14, Jordan, Severed as the HUMINT/CI Intelligence LNO at SOTF ORYX, KASOTC, as well as assisted in training five foreign Special Operations intelligence elements with planning, and executing of missions, Intelligence reports, and objective analysis and production of information collected which assisted ODA elements efforts in the overall success of the mission.
• Authored 30 Daily Intelligence Summaries that focused on Special Operations, and mission targets Eger Lion, Jordan which assisted efforts in support of CJSOTF-J.
• Brief the CJSOTF-J Commander daily, CJSOTF-J S2X, and the Jordanian Special Operations Commander KASOTC on intelligence analysis, production, planning and execution of missions.
Good Unit
Utility Helicopter Mechanic (Current Employee), Latham, NyJanuary 22, 2015
Go in for drill, get what needs to be done, done.
No BS compared to my time as an Active Soldier
Very fulfilling job
Infantryman- Deployed to Afghanistan (Current Employee), Greenville, TXJanuary 22, 2015
Great job with great benefits and a lot of areas to learn new skills and new connections with different people of different religions and cultures
Kelsch Associates
Finance Specialist (Former Employee), Flemington, NJJanuary 22, 2015
A lot of work to keep you busy. I became very attached to clients and loved what I did. Love the structure and discipline
Its the army
truck driver (Current Employee), mansfield ohioJanuary 22, 2015
One weekend I could be doing computer classes or on a range or in a hostile environment. I have learned to drive all sizes of vehicles safely and efficiently.
Great environment
Motor Transport Operator (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Working in the military gives everyone a different aspect on life while learning something that can be done in the civilian world as well.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more