National Guard
3,789 reviews

National Guard United States Employee Reviews

Best Decsion I Ever Made
Petroleum Specialist (Current Employee), Red Springs, NCMay 5, 2015
Pros: Different Experience everytime I come into work
Cons: none
There is nothing I can say to express my gratitude towards the military as it is helping me through college. I learn something new every time I come into work.
Great experience for work and interpersonal skills.
Healthcare Specialist/Combat Medic (Army) (Current Employee), GeorgiaMay 4, 2015
It takes a strong person to be able to join the Army; I learned this during basic training and AIT as I watched many people quit because they couldn't handle it. Yes, one must be strong physically, but they also must have a tough mind and be able to persevere even though they may feel like giving up. Team work is also very important and was one of the skills that we all learned. The Army is made up of people with all different backgrounds and we all need to work together despite our difference to complete the assigned mission. I don't think any other job could give me as great of an experience as the Army has.
Great place to work for the Army
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 4, 2015
I love working with the Army. I went through 7 months of training and learned many skills that have transferred to other life skills.
Job not for everyone
Communications Specialist (E-4) (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CaliforniaMay 4, 2015
Pros: Full military benefits
Cons: One weekend a month and only 2 weeks during the summer makes it difficult to truly learn your trade.
The Guard give you excellent opportunities to expand into and learn new fields. I learned skills as a Communications Specialist and transitioned into a full Computer Technician by getting certified. The Guard covers in state tuition for college education. However, One weekend a month and only 2 weeks during the summer makes it difficult to truly learn your trade. Advancement is non-existent and only when a slot opens. The pay is only good if you deploy. You will not be considered for Veterans Status unless you have been deployed for longer than 90 days consecutively. Which means no benefits for those who do not deploy! Full-time is only available if you know the decision makers in your company and rarely are available as the state slashes budgets annually.
Goal oriented, team focused enviroment
Heavy Construction Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Middletown, IAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Working with a team to accomplish objective
 Provides guidance and supervises other Soldiers, assists lower graded operators in complex operation and maintenance of heavy engineer equipment.
 Uses heavy machinery to level earth for runways and roadbeds; clears, excavates, digs, and backfills areas of construction sites; interprets information on grade stakes; drives heavy equipment to cut and level earth.
 Participated in Western Iowa - Missouri River flood relief operations in June 2011
Discipline, Respect, Loyalty
Medical Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJMay 4, 2015
I did eleven years and one year overseas. I gained a second family. We always trained for any war time situations. We get recognized for work accomplished. Best job in the world but too much politics involved when it comes to promotions and moving up in rank.
Never a Dull Moment
Military Police Non-Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMay 4, 2015
Pros: Full time benefits for a part time job
Cons: deployments
A typical day starts early, as accountability needs to be done on equipment and personal. After formation daily tasks are accomplished according to the training schedule and supervisors requirement. On this job I learn how to be efficient, safe, and intuitive as to what I am and others are doing. The hardest thing about the National Guard is the deployments, and the most enjoyable are the fellow soldiers that I get to work with on a monthly basis.
Relaxed Workplace with a variety of work
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 4, 2015
Pros: Work load was managable
Cons: Slow Work Schedule
A typical day of work included testing broken equipment, installing military equipment into vehicles, and filling out paperwork for pick up and working on equipment.
Great benefits and room for Career advancement
Mechanic/Metal Worker (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYMay 1, 2015
Pros: Good money
Cons: time consuming
I get to travel and I am financially secure being in the military. There are many long hours however and a lot of time spent away from my family.
It is what you make of it
Specialist (Current Employee), Clinton, SCMay 1, 2015
You sit around or clean more than you think you would, but the things you learn in the military are very useful and interesting.
Military LIfe
13F/Forward observer (Former Employee), Toledo, OHMay 1, 2015
Pros: meeting lots of people, learning vaules and becominga better stronger person
Cons: tedius tasks.
management was well organized and knows what they are talking about. Learning Values and other military information has help me further progress in my life.
A Great Way to Become a productive leader
25Q (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 1, 2015
Pros: Free College Education
Cons: Long periods away from home
The best thing about being in the national guard is the life experience that comes with it. Anyone can learn job skills by going to college, or a tech school. Being a soldier enables you to learn job skills in the field, while also challenging you to be a leader and take on multiple roles in high stress locations. Developing these skills transfer over to the civilian sector very well.
All source Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee), variousApril 30, 2015
Build and steer multiple teams to maximize performance in consistently completing projects in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment requiring superior strategic planning, organization, and leadership skills, while overseeing combat readiness and employment of a 24-soldier Platoon comprised of Human Intelligence (HUMINT) soldiers and Signal Intelligence (SIGINT) soldiers. Stay abreast and current as to the platoon’s Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP), equipment, personnel strengths, and platoon’s operational limitations.
• Proactively counsel and advise the Commander and the Brigade Combat Team (BCT) S2 of the best employment practices of the MGS Platoon.
• Steer the Platoon’s training (both general army and Intelligence), with an emphasis on the threat and capabilities of the platoon.
• Relied upon to oversee $3 million in SIGINT equipment.
Amazing opportunities
91 Bravo- Light Wheeled Mechanic (Former Employee), Farmingdale, NYApril 30, 2015
Pros: Flexible
Lots of wonderful people to work with, especially if you are trying to go to school an maintain a work life, this is definitely a beneficial job choice. Your day starts of just like any other job, arrive to you work area, get updated on whats going or whats needed to be done for the day,and basically just work for the rest of the day with breaks and lunch.
military
Truck Driver and Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IA and Mason City, IAApril 30, 2015
I drove trucks and worked in the supply for the unit. I also looked after the soldiers when the squad leader was busy elsewhere. I really enjoyed this job.
It's the national guard
Infantry and Combat Engineer (Current Employee), Soldier, KSApril 30, 2015
Pros: prestige
Cons: it's only once a month
All depending on the unit you are in the the job you have. Can be a lot of fun or miserable. In all I think it's a great experience for anyone.
An excellent place to start.
Communications Specialist/Assistant Section Chief (Former Employee), Pomona, CAApril 30, 2015
Pros: The ability to learn new skill and have some room for advancement.
Cons: Some take advantage and advance without meeting requirement, some prefer personal gain over integrity.
The U.S. Army is an excellent place to go for Direction. They don't ask for any kind of experience and they will train you for a specific job and to prepare you for your future. They will, in essence, feed you, cloth you, train you, and get paid for it. The benefits are excellent with Medical and Dental available through the V.A. and other private companies. You get to travel to places where you are needed and and the hardest part for me was leaving. I enjoyed it because I was part of something bigger.
Produsctive work place with all of fun skills to learn.
Welding and machinist (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 29, 2015
Went to class to learn how to use the mill, lathe, and all wielding. I learned all the fundamentals of being in the military and kept them. Hardest part of the job was waiting for the machines to finish their job.
Great location- close to home
Government Contractor (Personnel Specialist) (Former Employee), Blackstone, VAApril 29, 2015
The staff and management were great. Flexibility was one of the many perks of working there. They had an awesome wellness program and they encouraged you to take advantage of it.
NCO
Assistant Engagement Operations NCO (Former Employee), OhioApril 28, 2015
Great career to learn and make life long friends. Great benefits and growth potential throughout the state. Plenty of school oppurtunities

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries