National Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,720 reviews matching the search
Challenging yet rewarding!
Satellite Communications Operator/Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2016
Being in the National Guard has hundreds of benefits for the service member and their families. From discounted prices at stores, to tuition assistance, the National Guard benefits both civilian life and the military career. We share many similarities with Active Duty Army, but we also have a civilian job enabling us to use resources from both sides of the corporate ladder.
Pros
Heathcare, Insurance, and Education benefits, leadership training, comraderie
Cons
Its the Army, so things can get a little rough!
Workplace with advancement potential and benefits
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2016
The National Guard is dedicated to it's warriors and their families. The environment is productive and promotes cohesion. The Management cares about their employees and their needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is that there were weekly team building events in all sections. All the co-workers ultimate goal was the success of the organization, and never really any bickering.
Benefits
Cons
Having to cancel days off if a mission came up at the last minute.
Intense, Fun, Rewarding
E-4 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORJuly 7, 2016
I defiantly felt that what I was doing mattered. I learned a lot about life and myself. All my superiors were extremely helpful and very informative. My fellow soldiers and I got the jobs done on time every time. The hardest part about the job was leaving it (Honorable Discharge). Most enjoyable part was the honor and respect I received from the public.
Pros
You learn who you truly are.
Cons
Sometimes you have to be away from the ones you love for an extended amount of time.
A wealth of information
09S Officer Candidate/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 21, 2016
My time in the military was spent primarily in training to become an officer. In my training, I received allot of information. I was able to expand my knowledge in the things I didn't know and grow in the information I already did know. I met many different individuals that were able to set good examples for what I wanted to represent in the military.
Pros
Education, Additional income, Physical Fitness, Self satisfaction, Personal growth
Cons
Pay
Exceptional work place with a fast passed Invironment.
Training and Operations NCO (Current Employee) –  Sweetwater, TNJuly 21, 2016
Building training schedules and preparing material for training. Also build the Unit Gunnery Training program, instructing all facet's of it. Monitor and refine training as needed. Collect and analyze data from training. Report the trends from the data collected and make changes to the training plan to focus on the areas with issues.
Pros
Computer and Managment experience.
Cons
Military Cutacks
Review is only objective.
Senior Musician/Training NCO (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 17, 2016
A typical day will start with accountability. Next will come announcements from either the First Sergeant, unit commander, or both. We then proceed with any training or preparation for a mission.

I've learned how to work with other a-type personalities. We don't let people's feelings get in the way of completing a task.

The hardest part of this job is scheduling. It doesn't always work for everyone, and it's not always easy to get time off.

The most enjoyable part of this job is feeling accomplished. We perform many missions for veterans from WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm, and even for those currently serving.
Great benefits with poor work environment.
68W Combat Medic (Former Employee) –  Franklinton, LAJune 24, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the service. However, the hardest part of the job is working with people who are power hungry after they receive their first NCO promotion. Coworkers are a hit or miss experience due to the competitive nature of the majority male workplace.
Pros
education benefits, part-time, job security, healthcare benefits, paid career training
Cons
Sexism is common among the more rural units
Excellent mentorship opportunities
Senior Battalion Logistics NCO (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJJune 16, 2016
This job has been an excellent opportunity to both serve my country and mentor future leaders in the NJ Army National Guard. In a typical work day I will assist visiting units at attaining training areas and equipment usage in my location. I also serve as a physical security NCO ensuring visitors and customers utilize or facility and adhere to our policies concerning to security.
Pros
Making a difference and supporting force
Cons
Long hours and weekends
Great
UH-60 Blackhawk Helicopter pilot (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 11, 2016
 Platoon leader responsible for 25 Soldiers and three UH60 Blackhawk helicopters
 Piloting UH60 Blackhawk helicopter along with maintaining aircrew training minimum standards
 Responsible for planning of Platoon training and evaluation/rating of Soldiers in Platoon
 Responsible for identification, evaluation, and formulation of recommendations for developing the relationship with the aeromedical evacuation assets for the State of Nebraska
Great place to work for!!!
Second Lieutenant (2LT) (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJune 6, 2016
A typical day is filled with classes, meetings, preparing for briefs, and interacting with co-workers of all levels.

Learned about diverse people coming together to accomplish many tasks and goals.

Management looks out for us and does their best to take care of us both at work and beyond.

Co-workers form bonds that go outside of work.

Hardest part of the job is time management and not taking on too many tasks at one time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction felt after a long, hard day is over.
Pros
A sense of accomplishment.
Cons
Long drive
awesome experiance
Platoon Sergeant (E5) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2016
Assisted in Administrative Clerk position for assigned Unit.
I learned to help my SOLDIERS in all my capabilities.
As far as management, it is a State run militia.. all they knew was Article 15 threats.
The hardest part of my job while assigned to my unit was being tasked to JTF-NYC during several Statewide emergencies. Northeasters, Terrorist Threats, Airport Security, MTA Security.
Pros
helped my State in emergency situations
Cons
National Guard lacks UCMJ core values implementation.
Disciplined and Hard Working
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 11, 2016
Choosing to serve my state and my country is something I am grateful for each day. I work with an excellent group of determined individuals who are all working towards a similar goal - to be ready and proficient at their job so they can not only protect their fellow soldier but the people of the United States. I appreciate the trust that the leadership places in the individual and the cohesion between leader and soldier. A typical day involves both classroom training and hands on training. I have learned teamwork, leadership, delegation of tasks, the importance of attention to detail, and properly preparing reports and presentations.
Pros
Everything listed in the review is a Pro.
Cons
Government entity so sometimes receiving pay is delayed
productive work place, has gym and basketball court.
Infantry (Current Employee) –  Cabo Rojo Municipio, PRMay 31, 2016
a typical day at work going to the range shoot, train for tactical movement, and weapons maintenance. i learn how to move as a team, squad, platoon in a battle or to clear a building. Battle buddies are good people would give my life for them. Hardest part of the job, maintaining the knowledge and having to only train one weekend a month. The most enjoyable part is the timr spent with the rest of the crew.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
its to short, only one weekend a month
Real skills, real leadership
Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 31, 2016
Learn many new skills learned while developing leadership initiatives and skill. Developed the ability to communicate in writing and in verbally. Management was highly receptive to motivated individuals while fostering soldier development in a variety of areas. Co-workers were always interesting and we all learned from each other as team-work is essential in a combat environment. The hardest part was maintaining mission readiness in a part-time atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around motivated individuals who share the same values.
Pros
Learning from experienced professionals, diversity
Diverse and Challenging Work place
Unit Readiness NCO (Current Employee) –  Bardstown, KYJuly 11, 2016
The Army National Guard has taught me a multitude of beneficial traits that i can now transfer into civilian life. I have learned patience, leadership skills, personnel management, team cohesiveness, the ability to follow the chain of command and or rules. My ability to analyze a situation and determine a productive measure to better implement the plan is extremely heightened due to my military service. I have learned the ability to think fast and make a decision quickly that not only benefits the unit but the mission as well due to my experiences. Overall, i came into the military young and everything that i am now is a direct result of my time in service.
Pros
Training and deveoplment
Cons
Long hours and time away from family
Would not trade this experience for anything
Equipment Parts And Records SpecialistS (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAJune 26, 2016
I really value my first time in the military. I learned a valued trade plus patience. Later in life I still find myself utilizing a lesson learned during this period in my life.
I enjoyed learning logistics. It has proven useful in my civilian time and time again.
Pros
Job advancement is virtually limitless, lifelong useful education
Cons
not helpful for any single parent
Exciting & adventurous place to work
Unit Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westfield, NJJune 1, 2016
Supply, Logistics, Soldier Duties.

I leaned how to face adversity head on.

I had & was influenced by some of the Army's best individuals.

Being away from my family was probably the most difficult part of being an soldier.

always knowing, I could make a difference @ any given time was the best part of being an soldier.
Pros
seeing the world, new tasks, a chance to make a difference
Cons
long hours, some fear, being away from family
Endless Opportunities
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 13, 2016
I've been apart of the Army National Guard for a little over a year now and I must say that I'm glad that I made the decision to join. Being in the Guard provides me with an opportunity to better myself and my way of life. It provides me with the necessary tools to my job and serve my country well.
Pros
Learn a trade, health benefits provided, good camaraderie
Cons
Being away from family for extended period of times.
Difficult but rewarding environment
35P - Cryptologic Linguist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 26, 2016
A typical day in the life of a soldier may be easier to understand. But it is much harder to describe the life of a Special Operations linguist. The days were typically very busy during our drills and it took dedication that at times would distract from other aspects of life. In the end though, the rewards in discipline and dedication were overshadowing any problems that arose.
Pros
Job security, training in many areas, and camaraderie.
Cons
Time away from family
A productive job with a great company
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cocoa, FLJune 23, 2016
This company was a very good at helping people in finding them a job that is suitable for him or her to take care thier family. In a regular day an applicant would come in and seek employment.
I learned that not everyone that wants to join the military can get in because of so many qualification, such as thier health, criminal records and age. The management is very good and family comes first. The hardest part of the job when a man or woman's dream is to join the military or he or she needed the job badly to support thier family or themselve but find out that he can't get the job.
I enjoyed interacting with people and it's so much fun to meet them especially with thier families knowing that you are able to help them.
Pros
stability
Cons
hours

4.5