National Guard
3,388 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

it was good
Wheeled vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee), Elizabethtown Ky,42701January 23, 2015
Pros: great working exparance
Cons: long hours at time's
I have leared alot form working here graet social skills and learned how too mange a small platoon of soldiers.
Hard work
PLATOON LEADER (Current Employee), MississppiJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: medical
Cons: deployment
A PL is a manager of a platoon. You work closely with a Platoon Sargent.
Horrible experience
Squad Leader/ Platoon Sergeant (Former Employee), North Canton, OHJanuary 23, 2015
I joined the Ohio Army National Guard because after leaving the military, I realized that I missed it. The Unit that I was assigned to was disorganized, and the people in charge did not care whether they were doing their job correctly.

I had submitted my paperwork to the unit multiple times, which should have updated my information, which would have put me at the top of the promotion list. Unfortunately, every time I submitted my paperwork, it somehow disappeared. Missing paperwork was not an uncommon occurrence for this unit, and I know of several soldiers who literally had their lives destroyed because of this fact.

One gentleman who had a fractured spine from his service to The National Guard could not receive compensation because his paperwork was never processed, and then lost. He then contracted a disease from a tick bite that he received at annual training. He was sent home early, and hospitalized. The paperwork was never processed. He then could not work, lost his job, his wife left him, and he continues to struggle with the government to provide documentation that it was service related.
Physical and challenging work
ENG (Former Employee), Union City, TNJanuary 23, 2015
Spent most of time operating and PMCS Equipment. Worked on many projects state side and over seas.
I love the guard
PFC (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJanuary 22, 2015
I maintain my military bearings, maintain military vehicles, assist other soldiers, and ensure a great environment.
Very fulfilling job
Infantryman- Deployed to Afghanistan (Current Employee), Greenville, TXJanuary 22, 2015
Great job with great benefits and a lot of areas to learn new skills and new connections with different people of different religions and cultures
Kelsch Associates
Finance Specialist (Former Employee), Flemington, NJJanuary 22, 2015
A lot of work to keep you busy. I became very attached to clients and loved what I did. Love the structure and discipline
Its the army
truck driver (Current Employee), mansfield ohioJanuary 22, 2015
One weekend I could be doing computer classes or on a range or in a hostile environment. I have learned to drive all sizes of vehicles safely and efficiently.
Great environment
Motor Transport Operator (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Working in the military gives everyone a different aspect on life while learning something that can be done in the civilian world as well.
Militart
Squad Leader/ Base Security (Former Employee), Lake Wales, FLJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: life insurance, paid training, retirement, leadership, travel
One weekend a month and two weeks out of the year can be the adventure that is needed to shake up ones life when drilling with the Army National Guard. With over 100 jobs and missions to fulfill, the National Guard is that change up that a lot of people may need in their monotonous life. I enjoy the Guard for the opportunities that I get to do new things.
Its a great career path
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2015
I enjoy the camaraderie within the National Guard. The hardest part is when you have to deploy and be away from your family. I'm learned to be responsible, dependable and reliable.
Director of Information Management (DOIM)
IT / TELECOMMUNICATIONS EXPERT (DOIM) (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: watching the organization grow and develop it
Cons: government restrictions on new technology
This job was the equivalent to the Chief Information Officer for a company. It was fantastic.
Military -National Guard
Communications Specialist 25Q (31R) (Former Employee), Laurens, SCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: long days
Communications/radio troubleshooting

After training I assisted a recruiter-Paperwork, recruiting, testing of recruits.

Took applicants to MEPS for testing and sign in to the military.

Went to high schools to talk with students about the benefits of joining the military.
Best place to work in the US!
Quarter Master/Chemical Equipment Repairer (Former Employee), NJJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free lunches, free gym, free national park entrance.
If you are really looking for the best place to work in the Us, this is it. ARMY National Guard. They will treat you with respect and make sure that you are well taken care of, on both civilian and military fronts. It is an organization where your voice matter and the fulfillment of your duty is enough of a reward for yourself, your fellow soldiers and your unit. Your work matters and is well appreciated by your state and the nation. The pay is very decent and opportunities for advancement is imminent. It is all up to you!!!
Exception to Policy Manager
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 21, 2015
A typical work day consist of reviewing bonus contracts for validity and procedural correctness. On average 500 contracts are waiting to be reviewed at any given time due to historical errors. During my time in this position, I have learned how to audit incentive files, how appropriation of funds work, and how to process Congressional inquiries. I have held the position of Manager, Team Lead, and Supervisor and have been fortunate to have some great soldiers working with me.

The most difficult part of my job is having to release soldiers from their orders at a time when the economy is not kind. The most enjoyable has been receiving a phone call or email from a soldier advising me that they received the bonus they had been waiting for due to my team's help.
National Guard
Aviation Operations Specialist Course, Class (Former Employee), Fort Jackson, SCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: paid training
So far I went through boot camp and my MOA training. I found everything to be of value so far, and my experience in the ARMY National Guard has been positive. Especially when your fresh out of high school and dont know what you want to do next.
Very career oriented and competitive.
Military Police Lieutenant (Current Employee), Queens, NYJanuary 20, 2015
My time with the NY National Guard as an MP has broaden my experience in law enforcement. It is a very satisfying position that allows for advancement on a time table as well as on merit.
Just a typical Army experience
Field Artillery Tactical Data Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Lexington, KYJanuary 20, 2015
The day starts off with roll call from an out dated list of names. Most of the time the people in charge have no idea what's going on and my co-workers don't want to do any work and generally vanish when there is any sort of work to be done. The pay is only good when on deployment or you're lucky enough to get on active duty orders.
Humbling, Rewarding, Motivating, Patriotic
Combat Medic (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: i get to treat my fellow soldiers.
After Basic training and AIT training, in the National Guard, depending on the unit, we meet up one weekend a month.

When we come to work we start the day out with PT(Physical Training). After that we are given time for hygiene. Then we are set out to do the mission for the weekend. Since my unit is a Medical Detachment unit, we usually tend to soldiers who needs help in medical and dental issues in our clinic, vaccines, eye testing and physical evaluations.

I have learned to become a solid EMT, work the desk jobs in the clinic, different equipment uses, to be a team player and a soldier at the same time.

Hardest part of the job is for me to drive all the way down to Sacramento very early morning.

The most enjoyable part of the job is while I am helping others, I am serving the country with my service to my fellow soldiers.
It's a very interesting and incredible career.
Calvary Scout (19D) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: good training and benefits
Cons: you do have to follow strict requirements for multiple things
In the National Guard, I got to learn all sorts of things such as combat skills, medical training, physical fitness training, and a wide array of what I would call ethics training. Its a physically and mentally demanding job, but the things that you get to do and the brotherhood that you create is extremely worth it.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more