National Guard
3,877 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Great Job w/ Great Benefits
Firstline Supervisor/M1A2 Abrams Tank Gunner (Current Employee), Emporia, KSJune 1, 2015
Pros: Good pay, great benefits
Cons: Drill weekends and annual training can be unpredictible at times
I've been with the Kansas Army National Guard for almost 9 years now and it has been a great experience. The pay is really good for the amount of time that you have to work.
I enjoyed my time in service
Transportation operations 88M2 (Former Employee), Canton, OHJune 1, 2015
I was in charge of the Transportation Dept. We hauled fuel were needed, ammunition and classified products also. This was a satisfying MOS to be in.
Great Opportunity to serve your country
Ammunition Handler (Current Employee), Oxford AlabamaJune 1, 2015
Pros: Duty to serve this country
Cons: Forward deployments overseas
Great Enviroment to grow professionally as a soldier and leader. Allowed the opportunity to work and serve with some of the finest soldiers in the world.
People Skills Required
Assistant Department Director (Current Employee), TexasJune 1, 2015
Every state is different and Texas requires an ability to make your own way with little guidance. Once your in with the good ole boys your career will be set.
National Guard Bureau
Retired (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: Poor leadership
The personnel that are full-time soldiers at National Guard Bureau are for the most part lazy, and need to retire or be let go from the AGR program. The majority of them could not perform in the active duty army outside of that building. I was never so glad to leave that place. They are back stabbing and conniving. I have never seen anything like it in 25 years in the Army. I was brought in to do a specific job, and performed that job, and when the "soldiers", I use that term lightly couldn't handle the evaluations they received, I was ordered to change legal evals. What is the Army coming to?
Positive & dynamic work environment with challenges at every corner.
Platoon Leader / Executive Officer (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment; Job satisfaction
Cons: Death on the battlefield is the reality of my occupational hazard.
I lead and motivate a team of 16 dedicated professionals. Daily challenges include early mornings where I provide the vision and direction of the day for team managers. Throughout the day, team managers report back to me regularly with status reports in written and/or verbal format. I interpret these reports on the spot and in turn provide additional feedback and guidance for further operations. The above data is then used so that I can articulate company status, progress, and achievements to higher leadership in order for them to appropriately assess my department's placement in the "big picture" of the organizational snap shot.

My contribution to higher leadership involves providing quantitative data on progress reports, assessments of my company capabilities, morale evaluations, safety and risk management reports, budget and expense planning, and plans for future operations.
Military Police Officer (Current Employee), Glen Jean, WVMay 31, 2015
Managed the flow of customs checking out and making their shopping experience as safe and fast as possible with little complaints.
Army National Guard
military police (Former Employee), texasMay 29, 2015
Pros: freedom
Cons: deployments
Loved being a solider and would do it all over again. Love my country and my duties that I was able to do for them. Being able to serve the community on any basis we were needed. The hardest part is being able to give your time and families attention. Best part is doing selfless service.
Great organization with lots of potential
Power Generator Repairer (Former Employee), Annville, PAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Cross training, many skill sets to learn
Cons: Deploys at short notice, sacrifices time with family and friends
Discipline, respect, and responsibility learned. Physical fitness is a top priority. Team work. Travel across country and to other continents.

Transferable skills and education benefits.
three hots and a cot
Certified Army School Instructor 8 yrs (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INMay 28, 2015
Pros: plenty of food
Cons: the food taste like cr...
4 every morning and 11 at night one weekend a month two weeks a year actually three. plenty to eat and unlimited uniforms. plenty of exercise and a lot of down time.
Productive and safety
Specialist Water Treatment and Water Purify (Current Employee), Hanger 21 Island Wide San Juan , PRMay 28, 2015
Pros: wearing with very proud the uniform
Cons: Your live is belong to the nations and country, you need stand ready for deploy, engage and destroy hooah
Like a militar member I need to take care of my of my fellows,my country and nation.I love bring support and security to the people around me. I distinguish in my military carrear for provide clean and potable water because one of my duties in the milicia is water treatment. A typical day in the Army not exist, every single day you have an extreme emotions, task, and order to follows.
If want to join the military, but dont want a full commitment, check it out
Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Michigan City, INMay 28, 2015
It still takes some commitment, but once you are through basic training, you will be mostly committed to one weekend a month, and two weekends over the summer. If you get called to disaster relief, its usually not more than a couple of weeks at a time. Although I did get called to Iraq for a year, and that is absolutely terrible.
Good experience, poor managment
15w Operator (Current Employee), Gatesville, TXMay 27, 2015
Pros: Good opportunities; good people to work with, excellent benefits
Cons: Poor managment of people and money; soldiers do not come first. Morale is low, micromanagment is high
Good people to work with, nice people willing to help you out when you are new. However, new upper management has micromanaged the unit into worthlessness. High turnover and poor morale. Upper management will not listen to lower workers who have years of experience in the field and makes his own decisions; decisions that are not conducive to the Army values.
Place of good job environment and ethic.
Currently an Infantry Sergeant (Current Employee), miamiMay 27, 2015
As an infantryman a typical day consists on training my soldiers on battle tactics, maintain accountability plus writing reports as needed.
its a good place to start
12N Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), TN,FLMay 27, 2015
Pros: learn skills
Cons: long hours
its a good way to start in a field to help you in life later. or you can stick with it and retire with the army. is also a good way to meet different types of people from around the world
The best thing about being in the military is the uniform.
11c indirect fire infantryman. (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Sleeping bags.
Cons: no sleep, rest.
Every time I show up to work, its never the same. We have so much to do with little time and tasks need to be completed. Anywhere from going to the field at Fort Irwin,CA, or Camp Roberts in northern CA, we train as mortar men and practice the systems by hand and MFCS(computed mortar systems) on our track vehicles. We as a team work together or life will be hard being an individual. My co workers having the most experience, being prior military in the marine corps or active duty in the army, have the most knowledge and are great teachers in this field being they have multiple deployments. Ive learned a lot about my job quickly, became an expert on the gun thanks to my co workers. Being physically fit is important, not just for the job but to pass required PT test. I don't find anything hard about what I do because I love it, although others would say im crazy and it looks difficult. Its easy to me and I love it. The best part about it is being on the gun with 120mm mortars and letting them fly. An experience not everyone gets to have but its definitely something I would highly recommend.
Productive work environment
Senior Human Resources Operations Manager (Former Employee), Columubs, OhioMay 27, 2015
Pros: Effective cross functional teams
Cons: politics from senior leaders wanting to get ahead
Productive work environment, it was great working for a values-based organization. It was difficult to manage the politics and personalities of the leaders senior to you, which had a tendency to affect day-to-day work.
valuable career
Combat Medic (Former Employee), Duluth, MNMay 27, 2015
Pros: defend your country
Cons: rough environment
Teaches life skills that serve for more purposes than a career, but also personal skills. Obtained skills with attention to detail through mental and physical military combat and medical training with the U.S. Army. Developed the ability to train others by teaching combat life saver skills to my peers and co-workers
Good benefits, good pay
Networking Sergeant (Former Employee), Athens, TNMay 26, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: advancements
One weekend a month packed with maintenance and training. Learned how to set up networks and maintain networks. Meeting individuals from different parts of the local cities and start to build relationships as a unit
Team work
Platoon Leader (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMay 26, 2015
Great opportunities to develop self and others. Having fun while in training and learning environments. Overall it is best decision so far in my life. I would recommend National Guard to anyone looking structure and improvement in life, but still needing that time for their civilian life.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries