National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 8,513 reviews matching the search
Great organization to to join!
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  TennesseeDecember 15, 2016
I have been in the Guard for over six years and during my time I have had the opportunity to travel the U. S. on their dime, see other countries, further my education, and develop life and career skills that I probably would have never gained otherwise.

However, I would not recommend joining the Guard if you are in a tough spot as once you join you are obligated by a contract to complete your time in service.

The recruiter may tell you that a position is open close to you but ultimately the Guard will put you where THEY want you to be. Keep in mind that they will inconvenience you (seemingly) as often as possible, so pass your PT tests and use the benefits that they provide. That way them taking advantage of you will not seem so bad.
Pros
great benefits and real world experience in almost any field you can imagine
Cons
They use you whenever and wherever they want so keep in mind that you signed that contract
Great Place
UAV OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Camp Dodge, IAJanuary 12, 2017
Everything is positive. I'm not going to put a negative review of an ex employer on a website that I am also using to find a job with. The benefits are outstanding as well as the pay. Other than that its luck of the draw really. There are many different job opportunities. some require more skill than others. Some also translate into the civilian world better than others. As far as promotion, and work environment goes it depends on the unit. For some units it is based on your work ethic and skill level. For others it is based on how popular you are with the right people. Everyone has a different experience, and mine had its ups and downs but overall I would say this is a positive review.
More Benefits than Expected
CHAPLAIN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WANovember 8, 2016
I enlisted to test myself. I wanted to see what I can give and take physically, mentally, and emotionally. Being apart of something greater and serving my country was an honor. The most difficult part of the job is the part where Soldier's are separated from families. The stress it puts on top of an already high stress environment is unreal. Building resiliency is key. A typical day for me included ensuring Soldier morale and care, while completing additional tasks to support the Chaplain. I learned discipline, time management, and awareness.
Pros
Education benefits, health benefits, physical fitness
Cons
low pay, demanding, long days
Rewarding and discipline-engendering environment
Specialist E-4 (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 9, 2016
It is an environment that allows for great development. There are great opportunities for acquiring new skills and hands-on experience. There is a lot of paperwork involved in almost everything done, which can be bothersome, but at the same time, everything is recorded and there is a paper record of just about everything that happens. The hardest part of the job for me is that it can at times be hard to make my schedule work with it. It is not always that flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is that I can learn so many skills that translate over to many civilian jobs, as well as some more specific skill sets.
Pros
Benefits, military discounts, health care
Cons
Flexibility
Fulfilling and Challenging Environment that Inspired Growth
Recruiter (79A) (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNDecember 29, 2016
The armed forces made me a better person. Serving in the organization was never easy; the hours often exceeded 8 a day with no additional pay incentive. Higher level leadership expected the best and held me to a high standard due to the fact that my role directly involved the wellness and benefits of others in several ways. It was impossible to have a day at work where I was "off my game" - my company and soldiers depended upon me to be operating at 100 percent at all times. This was difficult, challenging, and frustrating, but taught me volumes what it meant to be a dependable source of stability and guidance for others.
Office and floor workers on the same page half the time.
Medic (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNOctober 1, 2016
A typical day my department would be bombarded with rush jobs the office either was late putting out or other departments were late on making.

I leaned how to efficiently manage my area and those around me. Double checking the prints of fixtures and the order dates.

Enjoyed working with co-workers and always got along great.

Hardest part of the job was giving recommendations on improving efficiency and money with updated equipment but never having anyone listen.

Pushing myself everyday to see how much work I can complete was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Chrismats Dinner
Cons
Short Breaks, low raises
It is what you put into it
Flight Paramedic, Platoon Sergeant (Former Employee) –  KansasNovember 10, 2016
Phenomenal benefits, pay isn't bad once you get a couple promotions. Lots of on the job training, you shape your own career. Opportunities exist to transfer and train in a different field if you're willing to put in the work and wait for an opportunity to arise.
The education benefits, medical coverage, and life insurance are phenomenal.
Leadership is very toxic. They are driving your best Soldiers away into the civilian workforce.
Pros
Hard work is eventually recognized
Cons
Toxic leaders not being held responsible.
The WY ARNG is a great place to work
Officer Wyoming Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 13, 2017
I started with the NG in College. The benefits nearly paid for all of my tuition and expenses. The guard is a fairly large organization and you make of it what you put in. In other words if you don't put any effort in you are most likely to get the minimal return. On the other hand if you maximize your effort and follow the rules get your work and professional development done on time every time the sky is literally the limit.
Pros
Military
Cons
Travel for Promotion
There is nothing better than serving your country
INFANTRYMAN (Former Employee) –  Fort Knox, KY 40122November 2, 2016
Typical work day is training and weapons cleaning. Early wake ups and a lot of physical training.

You learn how to react under pressure, find and control confidence in yourself and as a team. Learn to be a leader and take responsible and sensible actions in every aspect of life.

Management is always changing and is always training to better you and the betterment of their fellow brethren

Compensation is not good, for the risks involved the military needs to have better wages. The health benefits, retirement, and overall value of holding the title of veteran can not be topped.

Your co-workers will become your family, and just like your family there are some you love and some you really dont like, but you will always take care of them and they you.

Hardest part of the job would be those long cold nights and early mornings. Sometimes no more than 2 hours of sleep before another long day. But that is what it means to serve, taking that sacrifice and serving the Americans you love.

Every part of that job was enjoyable, from the OC lanes (pepperspray) to the firing ranges, to going to theater . I love our military.
A League Of Ordinary, Intriguingly Diverse Individuals.
19 Delta Cavalry Scout (Current Employee) –  Hope, ARDecember 4, 2016
A Typical Day At Work Is Constructive And Knowledgeable.

Ive Learned That No Matter What The Task Is, If Everyone Does Exactly What There Suppose To Do Indivualy And Can Cooperate Effectively, The Workplace Is Great.

I Like How The Mangement Operates.

I Like The Diversity And Understanding Among My Coworkers.

The Hardest Part Of The Job Is Maintaining Self Discipline In Some Scenarios.

The Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job Is Knowing Your Part Of Something Honorably Recognized.
Pros
Benifits/Discounts
Daily Routine
Receptionist/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 22, 2016
There is NO typical day at work! this is a new contract and NO ONE knows what is going on. It is unorganized, Expectations are EXTREME. Management is not helpful, they have NEVER been in Credentialing field before so they don't know how to do your job, but are very good at giving orders without knowing timelines or realistic outcomes. They put unrealistic time limitations on employees and the stress level is out of this world.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Negative Work envirnment.
Diverse and Challenging Work place
Unit Readiness NCO (Current Employee) –  Bardstown, KYJuly 11, 2016
The Army National Guard has taught me a multitude of beneficial traits that i can now transfer into civilian life. I have learned patience, leadership skills, personnel management, team cohesiveness, the ability to follow the chain of command and or rules. My ability to analyze a situation and determine a productive measure to better implement the plan is extremely heightened due to my military service. I have learned the ability to think fast and make a decision quickly that not only benefits the unit but the mission as well due to my experiences. Overall, i came into the military young and everything that i am now is a direct result of my time in service.
Pros
Training and deveoplment
Cons
Long hours and time away from family
Very good battle buddies and great unit.
15 Bravo (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 3, 2016
Aviation is the place to be. Super chill but our work is critical. The amount of which you enjoy your unit is heavily weighted on having a good reliable chain of command and your fellow battle buddies. Great place, some of the most trustworthy people to be around. We have a serious job but we still have a lot of fun. Lots of times drills are planned on important weekends in our personal lives and that can get in the way but overall the guard does not take much of your times.
Pros
Once a month, still get lots of benefits
Cons
Pay is low and hospitality not provided
Good start off from just graduating high school.
Automated Logistical Specialist (92A) (Current Employee) –  Covington, GADecember 27, 2016
Joining the U.S. Army National Guard was a big decision for me. I was defiantly nervous and scared but I learned a lot about myself during training. It taught me social skills, tact, and how to push through any situation. The biggest thing I've learned is team work , that's all we ever had in training there is no such thing as an individual in the Army. I am confident that I can work with any type of coworker throughout any type of situation.
Benefits
Productive way to start your career.
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 29, 2016
I enjoy being a part of the Army National Guard. A typical day being a soldier in the guard is like any other day for a regular civilian; you go to work, school, or do whatever civilians do on a daily basis. It isn't until drill weekend when we put on our camo uniforms and do what civilians are not trained to do and that's fight for our country and drive on with the mission. The hardest part about being a soldier is working during critical times while running off of 3-6 hours of sleep. The most enjoyable part of this job is traveling for free.
Pros
Has a plethora of benefits.
Cons
Long days and short nights
Very Productive
Truck Driver/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCOctober 3, 2016
My typical day at work was very productive. I was always on the move and moving at a fast pace. My job could switch at any given and I always was prepared. I learned how to work with others to get the job done. As long as we got the job done and did what were told we too much didn't have to worry about management. All the soldiers
got along and I believe the hardest part was training. The most enjoyable part was the rewards and being appreciated for your hard work.
Benefits
Cons
Long Days
Great Perks, Good way to Give Back
Anti-Armor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJuly 14, 2016
I love being a soldier in the Missouri National Guard. It gives me an opportunity to serve the country and have a little fun while I'm at it. Not many jobs allow you to explore the wilderness, hang out with friends and fire weapon systems in the same weekend. In addition to this, the benefits are great. Tricare health insurance is unmatched anywhere else in the civilian world. The pay isn't bad either. I have to commute back from California to St. Louis every month, and my monthly drill pay covers the price of a plane ticket, with a little left over for spending money.
In addition to the perks of the job, you know that you're surrounded by the most highly trained, disciplined soldiers in the world. This may not sound attractive on the surface, but I've seen some of the least likely people to succeed, do so due to strong support from their leadership team.
Overall, joining the guard is one of the best choices I've made in life.
Pros
See the world, Tricare, comraderie
Cons
Great place to work with lots of opportunity for growth
United States Army Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 24, 2016
This has been the most rewarding job I have taken thus far in my life.

What I do:

I am a staff officer.

I gather information from human, electronic, and physical sources to provide the commander (executive) with relevant information.

I prepare and give briefings, write reports, and collaborate with a team to communicate critical information.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Part Time
Trade-off between good training and separation from family
Family Programs Accreditation Manager (Former Employee) –  Annville, PANovember 21, 2016
Managed National Guard Family Programs (Army and Air Force) Statewide Accreditation program. Council on Accreditation (COA) standards were at times arbitrary and required push-back where standards were not applicable. At other times, civilian employees of contractors presented challenges that would not be tolerated in the private sector.
Pros
Great benefits and training
Cons
Separation from family
You get what you put in...
HUMINT Collector (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 15, 2017
The Army National Guard has been very good to me since day 1 at reception. I have worked very hard and given my all to this organization and in return they have made all of my dreams come true and they continue to amaze me. I will without a doubt be re-enlist until I cannot re-enlist anymore. I am so proud to serve my country within this branch.
Pros
College education, health benefits, world travel etc
Cons
Almost no personal life, always working.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5