National Guard
3,526 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

An Honor
Supply Specialist (92Y) (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: promotion at the time was almost impossible
It was an honor to have served along side of some of the worlds finest citizens in an extremely professional, tedious and fast pace work environment. .
Practical and Educational Workplace
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunches, training, and clothing
Cons: long days and nights
A weekend in the National Guard consisted of job training, weapons, equipment, and physical training. I learned how to be in charge of my responsibilities and the responsibilities of others. Learning leadership was most important in my experience with the National Guard. Management was enthusiastic about giving tasks to individuals to complete. My co-workers knew how to work hard and have fun. The hardest part of the job was trying to get a lot of work done in one weekend. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and their ability to help each other.
its not just a job its an adventure
Multichannel Transmission Systems Operator (Former Employee), Cambridge Springs, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free equipment
Cons: see above
If you like miss management and indecision coupled with overgrown children that take orders like a heard of deaf cats, the national guard is for you, morals are not needed here matter of fact the less the better
We Train to Maintain
91J QuarterMaster Chemical Equipment Repairer (Current Employee), Camp Blanding, FLFebruary 19, 2015
One weekend a month we train to maintain our skill set for war. We work hard and train hard, and the next day we do it again. If your interested in joining the National Guard, go to a recruiting office today, and join the worlds best army.
Productive and Huge Learning Experience with a lot of opportunity for advancement
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: health care, leadership experince, opportunities, working with others
Cons: working 17 hours a day
I learned leadership skills, teamwork skills, time management, and I bettered my communication skills. I was put in several leadership roles where I was in charge of more than 100+ individuals. I am always on time. I learned to be very efficient in difficult tasks even under a lot of pressure with difficult time lines. I tend to outperform many of my peers. I set really high standards for myself and my peers and we always meet them. I help others succeed and gain pride from helping others. My typical day at work was long with a lot to do, but I always got the job done. The hardest part of my job was having a lot to do in very little time, but we always accomplished our mission. The most enjoyable part of being in the army is working with so many different people who are all very different and learning all the different work styles and being able to accomplish our goals. There is also a lot of opportunities for advancement and leadership.
great unit
Unit Supply Specialist/Logistics E4 (Current Employee), lagrange gaFebruary 18, 2015
always working in a fast pace environment
work together as one
soldiers have eachothers back
enjoy putting on the US military uniform and responding to nearby crisis
good
Chief Intelligence Sergeant (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALFebruary 18, 2015
I served as an Assistant Logistics NCO. I was assigned to assist in programs/activities with the Joint Substance Abuse Program (JSAP) and the Drug Demand Reduction Program (DDR) to include setting up displays, participating in sanctioned functions, and to assist with instructing some classes for the DDR Program (Stay On Track).
Forge new brotherhoods
Specialist (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: a lot of benefits
Cons: sleep
Typical day at work; field training
What you learn; teamwork, leadership skills, and military logistics
Managment; easy to manage
Co-workers; easy to get along
Hardest part of the job; classroom work
Most enjoyable part of the job; executing fire team training
Very Productive
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Sandston, VirginiaFebruary 18, 2015
Though all very different, yet very similiar we are a group of motivated individuals working together as one to complete the mission at hand. There are good days and there are bad days, but all in all we do what we have to do to get the job done.
Leadership
Private First Class (Former Employee), Monroe, LAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: every sunday was a free day.
Basic Combat Training is a must.
Physical training everyday.
Studying for tests are required.
Battle buddies are your friendlies.
You must accept you will likely take someone's life.
The bonds and trust you build are great.
great
Expert (Current Employee), Harrisburg, ARFebruary 17, 2015
Im happy with how my career has worked out with the arknasas army national guard. You can get a lot done with your life with this career choice
Challenging and rewarding environment.
Coach and Western Region Biathlon Coordinator (Current Employee), Watkins, COFebruary 17, 2015
Virtually unlimited opportunities for motivated individuals. Extremely supportive organization while performing monthly duties, temporary military duties or activated deployments.
Life in the Guard
Aircraft Mechanic/ Technician (Current Employee), Westfield, MAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: flexible leave time, retirement, post-secondary schooling
Cons: dual status, deployments
the National Guard affords plenty of learning and growth opportunities and has plenty of options for Health and Retirement benefits.

The Guard can be an excellent avenue towards getting a degree at any state funded college or university.

Hardest part of this job is being flexible to attend your monthly weekend assemblies and giving up a few weeks in the summer for your annual training.
Military Experience for Life
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), Iola, KSFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: two weeks of annual trng
Cons: probably the running part, i never liked running lol
I always wanted to join the military and be more than a gas station clerk so I did, my brother was in the military and just retired from the Air Force and I admired the discipline and the experience gained from enlisting and the benefits of a lasting experience and getting to serve the country and help others!
national guard
All wheeled Mechanic (Former Employee), roswell nmFebruary 17, 2015
you dedicate one weekend a month two weeks a year to serve your country it is a great 2nd job where you can learn many new skills
Service
Public Affairs Supervisor / Photo Journalist (Current Employee), IowaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: war
Service to local communities, state and Nation. Benefits, education, skill training, support, team work, travel, promotions, leadership, great people.
Great to serve my state and country
Military Police (Current Employee), Horsham, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: be a part of the greatest military
Cons: weekend drills once a month
In a typical drill i will be the lead driver in our humvee convoys. I train in Military Police tactics and learn more ways to become a better soldier. My NCOs above me are wonderful with deployment experience and relatable knowledge. My battle buddies are great because these are the men and women i will go to war with and depend on them to get back. Hardest part of my job is long days from 4am till 11pm. Most enjoyable part of my job is knowing i am the standard of what a soldier in the united states military looks up to.
Allowed me to become well rounded and versed in Human resources
Human Resources Manager / Guidance Counselor (Former Employee), Troy, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: the work environment
Cons: lack of communication at times
A typical day was never the same. It usually started with reviewing documents and completing the processing list for the next few days. I learned how to research regulatory guidance and apply the guidance to the present situation. I served as management over the two employees I supervised. That included weekly training on new changes in the way we were to conduct business as well as vacation time management. I worked very well with my co-workers. They considered me as the resident expert. The hardest part of the job was upper management because they were not experienced in the description of our job. It made it a little difficult to effectively communicate, but we found ways to ease the gap in our communication to still allow us to be effective. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to be a part of the enlistment process with the new applicants. I love to help people and enlisting in the military is a big step.
Productive Workplace
Automated Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Somerset, NJFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: tough training, stress
Learned how to be a soldier and defend my country in war situations. I loved all the skills and tactics i learned and all my training. Its a once in a lifetime experience
Great Place to have a career
Motor Transport Operator 88M (Current Employee), Elba, ALFebruary 15, 2015
The Army National Guard is a wonderful place to have a career just make sure you are in control of your career from the moment you sign your papers.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more