National Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,523 reviews matching the search
Proud to serve not only our country but state and community
CBRN Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2016
I have learned so much through being in the military. I believe they have given me a plethora of skills that will be useful in my future career. I love the people I work with, they make serving fun. The hardest part of the job is when I have to go away for weeks for training, but it can also be a lot of fun. In my 4 years in I have had both good leaders and ones who could have been better. Over all I am glad to have had this opportunity to serve.
Pros
Great people, good education benifits.
Cons
Long days
good experience and training
E4 Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Fort Harrison, MT 59636February 21, 2016
I think the Military was a very good experience for me. I was trained and taught discipline, organization, team work, and it makes you a people person. My everyday at work was doing cleaning weapons maintenance with other task and drill. My co-workers are as trained as I am and ready to do their jobs at anytime. For me I believe the most enjoyable part of the job was life experiences and the good stories that came out of it. The most difficult part of that job was the time I had to spend away from my loved ones.
Its a very diverse working environment.
94 Alpha Electronic Missile Systems Repairer (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAFebruary 22, 2016
- A typical day at work involves inventory and service checks on military vehicles and equipment. We also attended classes.
- I learned how to work in a team, respect others opinions and views, and be disciplined.
- Leadership is decent but has room for improvement
- The most enjoyable part of the job is gaining new experiences with great people.
Benefits
Cons
Bad time management
It was frendly and fund; I enjoy interacting with people.
Fire Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 18, 2016
My typical day at work: check voice mail, email and calendar and take care of the most pressing issues.
What I learned; to stay on top on my work, and to ask questions if I don't know the answers.
Management; it is important to learn their style of work ethics and take orders without hesitation.
Co-workers: Stay away from gossip.
Hardest part of Job: Mainly the bureaucratic stuff.
The most enjoyable part of the job: challenges, interacting with co-workers.
Pros
Everyday is a different day.
Cons
Short employment
California army national guard
Recruiting and Retention NCO (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAFebruary 16, 2016
The Army National Guard is something that has taught me a lot about how to balance everything in my life. One thing that truly comes to mind is that one must always be prepared for anything. I have learned leadership, responsibility, selfless service and how to be the one to do right at all times. The military in general has shaped and formed me into the person I am today, hard working, self confident, and willing to go the extra mile to accomplish the mission.
Pros
Was able to do things most people will never be able to do
Cons
Takes time away from family
Productive work environment with close nit group
Bridge Crewmember (12C) (Current Employee) –  Abbeville, SCFebruary 14, 2016
A typical day, depending on your job title, is spent doing military training. You learn values for life and for work alike, and you are well trained in your field of expertise. During your time in the military you will be trained on combat readiness, and how to care out operations pertaining to your specific MOS. The hardest part about this job is the time you may have to spend away from home, training ranging from a couple of day to a couple of week, deployments that can be as long a a year. The best part about this job is the pride you have serving your country and the quality people you work with.
Benefits
Cons
Potential danger and time away from home
A once in a lifetime experience
Soldier-HR SPEC/MILITARY POLICE (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXMarch 29, 2016
This box is too small to describe the life of a soldier. If your truely deeply interested in what life is like..Speak to a real soldier or better yet..Talk to a Veteran.
Pros
Benefits, character building, respect building, advance weapon training, strength building
Cons
Long time away from home, major strain on your body, will test yourself and faith
Good staff, fun to work with
Private E-2 (Current Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOApril 20, 2016
There was no typical day, we went once/month and learned something new every month we went there. Our Chain of Command was great, was certainly a different environment, I was still 17 at the time so the respect they gave me was something new, because i had always been treated as a child.
Pros
Free Food, Health insurance, Life insurance.
Cons
Away from family for training
Productive and Training dedicated to Improving the soldier.
Operating as a Military Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 8, 2016
A Typical Drill weekend consisted of maintenance checks on military vehicles and conduct training both in the classroom as well as in the field. Learning tactical proficiency and cultivating a healthy teamwork oriented unit. Preparing the unit for any deployments to foreign nations or domestic situations.
Professional environment.
MEDIC (68W) (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDMay 13, 2016
Providing medical care to other soldiers has been worth all the countless nights of no sleep, high levels of stress and high level of expectations required from the Army. Learning high level of attention to detail has been a great trait to obtain.
Pros
free health care, dental, great life insurance
Cons
HIGH stress, long days and nights. Not for the faint of heart.
National Guard
Specialist/ Officer Candidate (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOApril 16, 2016
I love the benefits and the people I've made. I go to college and I get my tuition paid for and if you get a high enough score on your asvab, you can get a GI Bill which helps pay for general fees. I love the people that I have met through this experience.The hardest part of this job is maintaining pt scores if you aren't actively working on it.
benefits
Teamwork and discipline.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAFebruary 10, 2016
Typical day consisted of physical training, academic training, and field training. While I was on orders, a typical day consisted of security and defense. I learned tracking and survival skills. The management was respectable and hard working. My co-workers were honorable and hard working. The hardest part of the job was being separated from my family and friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bonds i formed with my co-workers.
Pros
Rewarding, travel, co-workers
Cons
Separation from home, hazardous conditions
MDARNG has great benefits
Readiness NCO / Facility Chief (Current Employee) –  Gunpowder, MD 21010February 9, 2016
A typical day at work is prepare for meetings, attend meetings, pass on new information and send out what was asked of you. Through these measures I learned to be proactive vs. reactive. Management here is usually reactive and everything needs to be done right now. The hardest part of the job is being away from your family during emergencies of the sate and overseas deployments. The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction of working with Soldiers and the community.
Fun and Challenging
Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day was fun and challenging, when I worked for the Army National Guard. It was fun and challenging learning new soldier skills and associating them with my job duties, such as processing work orders, if deployed in a combat zone.

Management took care of their soldiers' needs.

On average, co-workers were easy to get a long with, but some co-workers had communication issues.
Pros
learning new skills and needs being met
Cons
some lack of communication issues
Military w/out as much of the nonsense
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 7, 2016
The military is generally what you make of it, and what base you are at. The benefit to the guard is that you can choose where you go. If you find out that the base is not enjoyable, or you don't like the military all that much, you do not have to deal with that full time. On the other side of things if you enjoy your base and the military there are generally plenty of volunteer opportunities or ways to maximize your military service.

The guard allows you to maintain your civilian dreams and pursue careers at home, and still serve your country. You also get many wonderful benefits that your recruiter would be more than happy to tell you about.

Again, its what you make of it.
Pros
Pick your home. Pursue career of choosing. Great benefits.
Cons
Depending on your feelings: the stresses involved with the military.
Private First Class in the Michigan Army National Guard.
Field Artillery Fire Direction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 30, 2016
Most of my job was confidential. My role was a Fire Direction Specialist dealing with Field Artillery. I was an enlisted soldier for 2 years till I contracted with my school's ROTC program. I will be commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant on April 29th, 2016.
Pros
Awesome job culture.
Cons
Sleep outside.
Great opportunity to serve your community, state, and county
Satellite Technician/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
For anyone 17 to 42 years of age, it is a great way to serve your community, state, and country. For only 2 weeks a month and a 2 week longer training session a year you will be serving to help out your neighbor protect and defend their freedom and liberties, and serving at times of need. What a great way to help out those you love. Make new friends for a life time. Benefits and adventure is great, and you will develop new skills and talents.
Pros
Adventure
Cons
I cann't think of any
Review of
Translator/Interpreter (Current Employee) –  UtahFebruary 4, 2016
The Utah National Guard varies depending on the level of administration and leadership tasks. Generally, at the smallest level those who are in charge of advancing your career are very concerned and try their best to get all schools that you wish to attend depending on funding. There is great transparency and attempts to educate junior enlisted to always advance their skills and abilities. There are many opportunities to take charge and instruct those that deem in need of mentor and guidance to help them be more efficient in their duties and tasks.
Pros
Great pay and well-established line of authority
Cons
Funding depletion.
Automated Logistical Specialt 92A
Supply Sergeant (92A) (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHApril 22, 2016
The Automated Logistical Specialist is primarily responsible for supervising and performing management or warehouse functions in order to maintain equipment records and parts.

Establishes and maintains stock records and other documents such as inventory, material control, accounting and supply reports. Establishes and maintains automated and manual accounting records, posts receipts and turn-ins, and performs dues-ins and dues-outs accounting.

Corrects error and exception documents. Reviews and verifies quantities received against bills of lading, contracts, purchase requests, and shipping documents. Unloads, unpacks, visually inspects, counts, segregates, pelletizes, and stores incoming supplies and equipment. Maintains stock locator system and administers document control procedures.
Productive, educational environment
Automated Logistical Specialist (92A) (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 8, 2016
A typical work day started at 5 am with work outs and cleaning detail. We received the same type of training as Active Duty soldiers. Our drill sergeants oversaw every action. The diversity of people all over the country, made for a great experience. I made life long friends in between strenuous days, gun ranges, and physical training.
Pros
Free meals, paid training
Cons
long hours, no breaks

4.5