National Guard
3,531 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

Service
Public Affairs Supervisor / Photo Journalist (Current Employee), IowaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: war
Service to local communities, state and Nation. Benefits, education, skill training, support, team work, travel, promotions, leadership, great people.
Great to serve my state and country
Military Police (Current Employee), Horsham, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: be a part of the greatest military
Cons: weekend drills once a month
In a typical drill i will be the lead driver in our humvee convoys. I train in Military Police tactics and learn more ways to become a better soldier. My NCOs above me are wonderful with deployment experience and relatable knowledge. My battle buddies are great because these are the men and women i will go to war with and depend on them to get back. Hardest part of my job is long days from 4am till 11pm. Most enjoyable part of my job is knowing i am the standard of what a soldier in the united states military looks up to.
Allowed me to become well rounded and versed in Human resources
Human Resources Manager / Guidance Counselor (Former Employee), Troy, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: the work environment
Cons: lack of communication at times
A typical day was never the same. It usually started with reviewing documents and completing the processing list for the next few days. I learned how to research regulatory guidance and apply the guidance to the present situation. I served as management over the two employees I supervised. That included weekly training on new changes in the way we were to conduct business as well as vacation time management. I worked very well with my co-workers. They considered me as the resident expert. The hardest part of the job was upper management because they were not experienced in the description of our job. It made it a little difficult to effectively communicate, but we found ways to ease the gap in our communication to still allow us to be effective. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to be a part of the enlistment process with the new applicants. I love to help people and enlisting in the military is a big step.
Productive Workplace
Automated Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Somerset, NJFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: tough training, stress
Learned how to be a soldier and defend my country in war situations. I loved all the skills and tactics i learned and all my training. Its a once in a lifetime experience
Great Place to have a career
Motor Transport Operator 88M (Current Employee), Elba, ALFebruary 15, 2015
The Army National Guard is a wonderful place to have a career just make sure you are in control of your career from the moment you sign your papers.
Productive, hard working environment
2nd Lieutenant (Current Employee), Murray, KentuckyFebruary 14, 2015
Once a month and two weeks out of the year we are always looking to improve our knowledge and skills in the Military Police Branch. On a weekend, the training will vary month to month ranging from weapons maintenance to learning military movements and correctional facility operations. I am always learning new techniques and ways to become a better leader. As a Platoon Leader in the 438th Military Police Company, I am responsible for 42 Soldiers as well as conducting their training, for not only them but on occasion the entire company of over 120 Soldiers.
Military Life
68W10 Health Care Specialist (E-4 Specialist) (Current Employee), Savannah, TNFebruary 13, 2015
If you enjoy being a part of something bigger than yourself and service to this country, than this is a job for you. Great training and benefits.
productive and Fun
Infantryman (Current Employee), Plymouth MeetingFebruary 13, 2015
Great Organization to be apart of. Great training and they keep you focus and discipline. I'm in a Recon Platoon so we do a a lot spying and things of that nature.
Opportunity to serve and build Leadership
Battalion Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Stratford, CTFebruary 13, 2015
Throughout my short time in the National Guard I had the opportunity as a cadet to build my leadership skills and lean what it takes to be a good leader. My commander build some of my foundation and because of him I learned what type of leader I wish to be. To serve among others who share the same dedication and purpose as you is quite the experience.
Great environment, pay, benefits, and work/family balance.
Specialist (Former Employee), Mooresville, NCFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: everyone is a team.
Cons: hurry up and wait is the motto of all military. patience is key.
Great teamwork environment. One weekend a month, 2 weeks a year and great benefits; job security is a major plus too. All members work as a unit for the good of the team.
Very Demanding but also Rewarding
Media Ministry Director (Current Employee), Warren, MIFebruary 12, 2015
The Gaurd can provide many opportunities for a motivated soldier. I have gone to Europe twice in the last year on deployment and it was an amazing chance to both do my job and experience the world.
Great training environment and comaradarie
Infantryman, Squad Leader (Current Employee), Menomonie, WIFebruary 12, 2015
Great unit to learn everything there is to know about the infantry and the army as a whole. Knowledgeable leadership and hard working soldiers.
Awesome organization to enlist into.
Specialist Soldier or E-4 (11C/11B) (Current Employee), Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 12, 2015
Many opportunities for citizens soldiers to take advantage of now days. If you want to serve your country while staying close to home this is for you.
Highly fulfilling work
SENIOR TRANSPORT OPERATOR (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: serving my country
Cons: it is not full time work
This is a once a month occupation and for about 2-3 weeks out of the year, we are activated in an active duty capacity for training. From the time I started I dedicated myself to provided the best of myself to my country and in my second fiscal year I was the soldier of the year for all levels in the Brigade and came 3rd in state competition. I find it fulfilling when we are activated to natural disaster relief to provide for my fellow citizens. There are also several state mission that I was able to successfully complete over the last few years and have led entire details, teams and platoons on several occasions. I am a highly respected member of my unit.
Fast paced, always working on something
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Marion, INFebruary 12, 2015
A typical work day, I assist in getting attendance/accountability. Help with counselings, awards, and any other paperwork/emails that need done.
Soldier
Unit Career Counselor/Mechanic (Former Employee), Ishpeming, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Specialized duties pertaining to the functioning of the mission on hand. Details are sensitive and duties completed all depend on what was needed either deploying or correcting company deficiencies.
Learning experience everyday
Infantryman (Former Employee), Fond du Lac, WIFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: 3 square meals a day.
Cons: lack of sleep. a lot of wasted time during training.
There wasn't a day you were not learning something new, or learning a better way to do something. The knowledge of the men and women in the armed forces is mind blowing. Just like with any other job/career, you will have days that you enjoy and you will have days that you regret. What I enjoyed the most about serving in the Natiional Guard was the free flowing feeling of accomplishment, and selfless service, for the betterment of this country, and the State of Wisconsin.
productive and fun workplace
Team member (Current Employee), Richmond, KYFebruary 11, 2015
strong team building environment. strong management, co-workers are equally trained. the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with people from different backgrounds.
Lots of training fun, i can use my skills learn in a civilian career
Security Guard (Current Employee), Aguadilla, PRFebruary 11, 2015
Long and hard hours of work,training,dedications. i learned Communications,laws, and how adapt/ assist the situation. My co-workers are family to me. Hardest part of the job is the long hours. Best part is everything especially working with others.
Great atmosphere and very productive work place.
Medic (Current Employee), Carlisle, PAFebruary 11, 2015
Great work place for being a medic. I have been learning a lot and cant wait to learn more. The atmosphere is awesome and the fellow soldiers are very disciplined and motivated.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more