National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 8,740 reviews matching the search
"It's the Army"
Sergeant (E-5) (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARFebruary 16, 2017
The Army took a 17 year old Boy and gave him the skills and confidence it took to succeed. It taught me how to handle different task that life will throw at me. Any Where from Employment, relationships, hard times and of course the battlefield.
Pros
Teaches structure, job security, room for advancement.
Cons
Well there is the one major con
Great
Flight Paramedic (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 16, 2017
Good training. Leadership is as good as anywhere else. Just people doing people things. It gives good training. If you want to do it then do it. Its good and stuff
Job summary
Sergeant E-5 (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day consisted of going to the field staying in barricks or sleeping on the ground in a wooded area. I learned my job in artillery of which I gained the extra skill of reading a military map. Management was ok as long as you are liked. I thought that the workplace culture was interesting. It was definitly more of a brotherhood in military culture. The hardest part of the job was being on long deployments away from my family. The most enjoyable part was that we were there for each other.
Pros
medical benefits, life insurance, va benefits
Cons
There's always something to learn everyday.
US Army National Guard soldier (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoFebruary 16, 2017
The people around my work place is very creative. We learn about personal defense and how to react to possible attacks. Most of our job is to drive trucks so that's what we enjoy the most. I will say that the hardest part of the job is to load heavy equipment but we do it together as a group.
benefits
Cons
low pay
Great experience
Cannon Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ozark, ARFebruary 16, 2017
I would say that becoming a soldier helped me mature at a young age and helped me become a more well rounded person. I went through boot camp at age 17 and grew up in a big hurry. Very thankful for thr guard and my brothers I had the pleasure to serve with.
Good
25N Nodal Network Systems Operator/Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 16, 2017
Good way to test out the military and see how you feel about it. It makes you feel like you belong to something bigger than your self while advancing yourself in the Civilian World
Great atmosphere, very educational, and very fulfilling
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INFebruary 15, 2017
Can learn alot not just about your own job but about others, advancement is there no matter what just depends on how far you want to go. Teaches good leadership skills, orgazational skills, and gives you a sense of accomplishment.
Outstanding Environment
Motor Transport Operator (Current Employee) –  Atmore, ALFebruary 15, 2017
Great place to meet people from all walks of life to learn from. Where to receive knowledge that will last a lifetime. Where discipline is taught if it wasn't taught at home.
Allows and even demands personal growth through mentorship
Physician Assistant-Certified (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 15, 2017
The military in general and the National Guard specifically tries to squeeze 25 hours out of a day. There are often over booked training schedule and redundant briefings that must be attended. As much as I disliked this as a young soldier I realize now how important those time management skills are to me and my productivity. I have had a few other jobs and no where is mentorship a priority like it is in the military. It is central to the military culture. Merit based advancement is the rule not the exception.
Pros
Mentorship, personal growth, best health care available at not cost, mandatory physical training.
Cons
Mentorship may not always be wanted but you get it anyway, training may take you away from family for extended periods.
Go Army
12B Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Napoleonville, LAFebruary 15, 2017
It starts in basic training: It is the most fun you never wanted to have. Yes, never wanted to have. While basic is hard, it is as equally rewarding. Monthly drills are for the most part mundane and monotonous; checking vehicles, building maintenance, death-by-powerpoint classes and briefings. But, when we go out in the field to do training, It can't be beat. Whether it's something as simple as qualifying with you weapon or as complex as running missions with your team as attached to a different unit as part of a whole combat simulation, it's the best!
Exciting and safe work place with an different adventure everyday
63b- All wheeled mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCFebruary 15, 2017
As a all wheeled mechanic I was reponsible for supervising and performing maintenance and recovery operations on wheeled vehicles and associated items, as well as heavy-wheeled vehicles and select armored vehicles. My job duties were to maintain wheeled vehicles, their associated trailers and material handling equipment systems.
Inspecting, servicing, maintaining, repairing, replacement, adjusting and testing of wheeled vehicles and material handling equipment systems, subsystems and components, service automotive electrical systems including wiring harness, and starting and charging systems.
Not what you would expect first going in with hardly any knowledge about the army or it's inner workings.
Allied trades specialist (91E) (Former Employee) –  Camp Lincoln Springfield, ilFebruary 15, 2017
Anyone enlisting can become a great soldier. Everyone is treated the same, respectful and with dignity. Learn great skills from very knowledgeable and experienced individuals, good for your career in and out of the military. Everyone is taught to absorb and perform on the basic principals that make an individual a great American soldier.
N/a
Signal Support System Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 15, 2017
Working conditions varied as well as jobs. Many times you do other peoples jobs and busy work when no tasks were available.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Poor management by higher ranking individuals, performing jobs other than your specialty most of the time
Weekend job with decent incetives
Supply/Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 15, 2017
In the national guard you only work one weekend a month and in that weekend you need to brush up on all the skills necessary to perform your job. I had many leaders that made sure i was able to perform my job to the best of my abilities. The hardest part of the job is trying to get into the mindset of a soldier for that one weekend. The most enjoyable part is getting to do some fun training every few months.
Goal driven solid foundation
Military Police Officer (Current Employee) –  National City, CAFebruary 14, 2017
I love serving for my country and in the Army. I enjoy being in the national guard as it had allowed me to serve close to home, unless on deployment, and also allows me to pursue a full time career.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
An enjoyable experience.
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Camden, SCFebruary 14, 2017
Overall it has been a very enjoyable experience working with the National Guard. I have gotten to meet many people of differing ethnicities and cultures. I have met many leaders (many of which may have been loud and aggressive) of which all have taught me many valuable lessons and have made me better than I was before. I believe it is something everyone should experience at least once.
Pros
The experience in general.
Cons
The power-points and wait-times.
Excellent Organization
UH-60 HELICOPTER CREW CHIEF (Current Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 14, 2017
Great organization to learn new skills or apply old skills in order to give back to your community and country. In addition, it's a great organization to network with individuals from all types of various career fields.
Productive Learning Experience
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 14, 2017
I was an Infantryman. It helped grow as a man and the true meaning of responsibility and hard work. I was qualified in Multiple weapon systems including the M-4, M203, M320, M249 SAW, M240B, M-2, and M-19. During Drills we would do field training mostly and we would requalify our weapons annually.
Structure and leadership
Combat Medic (Former Employee) –  Prestonsburg, KYFebruary 13, 2017
The United States Army Kentucky NAtional Guard helped make me who I am today. It helped establish structure in my life and helped me with the discipline to reach my goals in life.
its the army
Forward Observer (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAFebruary 13, 2017
It is what you would expect being in the army means. Deployed once to Iraq. It was a great experience and I would not give it up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5