National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 4,720 reviews matching the search
Review
GS-09 Computer Systems/Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2015
Day Shift: There was no typical day, as there were so many variables.
A routine day would be a better way of describing a day.
The first thing in the morning would entail bringing the system up and get it running, then checking the networks and systems for updated virus protection, and assure that there were no viruses detected. In the event of a virus detection, it would have to be reported to Ltc, John Douglass Banks, who was the CIO (Chief Information Office), that was in charge of the section in which I worked. The next step was to have an overall look at the system, and insure that there was no unauthorized use of the systems,and that the users were valid. from then on it was concentrating on maintenance of the system, and helping the end users who reported problems or enhancing the system and network.

Evening Shift: The evening shift duties consisted of running the scheduled programs and meeting the deadlines that were required to complete all of the programs schedules for that day, and also archiving on removable media all the data on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the event of an unforeseen failure or problem.
It was extremely important to have a data recovery plan in place, and to have everything backed up in the event of a power failure or natural disaster, in order to recoup, (disaster recovery)any and all data.. At the end of the shift, The last task of the evening was to bring the system down.
Pros
Clean working enviornment, and good people to work with and for.
Cons
Family life had to take a back seat to responsibilty.
Enjoyable and fun with new experiences
PFC (Private First Class) (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHMarch 7, 2014
A typical day at work when deployed or at training, concist of a routine. Wake up do pt, shower eat then class. or what is asked of you by higher in command.I have learned a great deal of things from the National Gaurd, and currently the Army. For example my job training. This job is very technical, and you have to know what your doing if you dont then it could be catostrophic. Reason behind this is because i manage airspace. Ive been a class Leader twice, and often get called to do details. So i get put in charge to make sure things get done. Co-workers are iffy but i understand how to talk to them because i have good people skills. So i make them be optimistic about boreing jobs. The hardest part of the job is being able to predict what you have to do. Generally in the army you cant get a heads up before time. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid. I work hard and for me i like to see the fruits of my labor, aside from pay another enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you and your team came together and accomplished somthing bigger than all of you.
Pros
paid for everything we do, paid to learn, cheap travel
Cons
not knowing whats going on.
Filing paperwork for the Executive Officer and CO
Excess Officer (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MODecember 14, 2012
I work once a month in MO National Guard headquarters. Every drill I am tasked out to file paperwork, oversee the height/weight done every Saturday morning or grade a PT test that is needed. I have learned the communication systems of the S-2 shop, the essential online websites to input soldiers personal information, how to review a promotion packet before submitting, writing a PT policy memorandum for the unit and mostly assisting the Commander in what he needs to be done. There are other lieutenants in my unit and it was recently my duty to be charge of whether they appear to drill on time and that the tasks put out to them are done and on time. My co-workers is office of headquarters; they are constantly busy and are confident in their jobs. I get along with the co-workers in my office, my CO, my previous XO, and supply staff and some soldiers outside of my platoon. It is difficult being in the same category of lieutenants and are asked to do little of what their rank asks, but I try my hardest to prove that not only am I a lowest ranking officer, but that I am a sincere reliable lowest ranking officer. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am greeted respectfully even for a lieutenant and that they know I am doing more than my job and the next enjoyable part is having amazing soldiers to work with.
Pros
great soldiers
Cons
not being recognized more than than just my rank.
Great working enviroment with long hours
Recruiting and Retention NCO (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 6, 2015
The military is a fabulous opportunity to change your life. The benefits and opportunities offered to our soldiers are beyond that of any typical civilian company. However, with any great benefit comes a trade. We work long hours and when the mission has to be finished there is no such thing as a time clock. That being said I have worked with some of the most amazing people ever. I meet all walks of life and I love it. Recruiting is a great field for someone like me. I enjoy the networking aspect. The military literally changed my life and having the chance to change the lives of others is truly fulfilling. I work alone much of the time but I am always surrounded by people as I am often at community events and high school programs. However, this can be taxing on my family. They miss me and I often work 70 to 90 hours a week. When I am home I am often answering my phone or texting with applicants and soldiers who have questions about our program. But the moment when they stand before the flag and recite their oath of enlistment makes all the sacrifice worth it. And the day I see them graduate from college, knowing they could not have done that without me, is my why.
opportunity to have a career with the CA National Guard
Staff Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAOctober 15, 2014
Prior to my coming to the Guard in '91, there had been no environmental compliance staff position. I literally had the chance to create and develop the position from the beginning. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to interface with everyone from the hanger mechanics to the post commander almost every day. Being the only staff position for over 15 years, I learned to manage projects and personnel in a variety of ways ( a civilian having to manage, teach and supervise military personnel). The most difficult part of the job was that sometimes government doesn't move at a pace that one might like. I had the privilege to work with some of the finest individuals anywhere, both officer and enlisted. Again, one of the most enjoyable parts of my day was, many times I would plan my day/week out and what needed to be accomplished was nothing I had planned. I learned to be very resilient and versatile. I also had the opportunity on many occasions to act as the post commander's point of contact at city council meetings and key individuals in the community along with local, state and federal regulatory personnel. I feel that my biggest accomplishment was that in twenty years, the CA National Guard received no fines, notices of violation or compliance orders during my tenure.
Pros
being able to interface with many people, both in the military and community
Cons
reduced funding for projects and not moving as fast as i might like on occasion
Good camaraderie with ability to advance but very hard to live
Soldier (Current Employee) –  OregonJuly 7, 2013
The Guard from my point of view is a nice organization to be involved with. You cant beat the perks and the adventure when you deploy for combat or training is incredible. But the downside would have to be that your experience varies with your given command. The military gives their commanders almost free rain within limits for commanders to run their company. Which can be good or very very bad. Also their can be a certain macho atmosphere which can cause alot of headaches with Soldiers who are too proud to report injury or illness which can and sometimes does ultimately effect their overall health or even medical discharge from the military. There can be hazing, bad hazing yes, there can be horrible leadership, bosses that you cannot get away from either because their bosses are best friends with them or your not in a position where you can make a difference. Its about signing your life away basically and holding on until you can either get along or get out. Oh and barely ANY PAY which is screwed up constantly
Pros
free poorly tasting foods, travel, adventure, benefits
Cons
no breaks, 18 hour days, unethical situations, rules change constantly, many times no common sense, and barely paid.
Requires Emmense Energy
Lieutenant Platoon Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2014
Currently, my position as an Army officer my workload is demanding, varied and includes research, writing reports and supervising live military operations. This role allowed me to develop my research, analytical and problem-solving skills as well as my knowledge of the armed forces. I have been able to practice and develop my leadership skills as I am often called upon to monitor large spectrum operations. Working in an officer capacity has also given me the opportunity to work autonomously on more complex task, and was able to foster successful working relationships with colleagues and victims of disasters and emergency responders.

I have also developed my practical interpersonal skills as I was chosen to complete the Master Resiliency Trainer course earlier this year. Which improves soldier readiness and I am currently the primary training official in my unit of assignment. In addition to increasing my understanding of comprehensive issues affecting ordinary people, I have also recently completed the U.S. Department of Homeland Security FEMA Emergency Management Institute independent study introduction course for the incident Command System for Law Enforcement. This experience, among others has reinforced my dedication to professional and equitable stability representation for all.
Pros
active environment
Cons
n/a
Army
Signal Support Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Greenwich, RIDecember 29, 2013
The United States Army (USA) is the main branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for land-based military operations. It is the largest and oldest established branch of the U.S. military, and is one of seven U.S. uniformed services. The modern army has its roots in the Continental Army which was formed on 14 June 1775,[4] to meet the demands of the American Revolutionary War before the establishment of the United States. The Congress of the Confederation officially created the United States Army on 3 June 1784[5][6] after the end of the Revolutionary War to replace the disbanded Continental Army. The army considers itself to be descended from the Continental Army and thus dates its inception from the origins of that force.[4]

The primary mission of the army is "to fight and win our Nation’s wars by providing prompt, sustained land dominance across the full range of military operations and spectrum of conflict in support of combatant commanders."[7] The army is a military service within the Department of the Army, one of the three military departments of the Department of Defense. The army is headed by the Secretary of the Army, and the top military officer in the department is the Chief of Staff of the Army. The highest ranking army officer is currently the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. During fiscal year 2011, the Regular Army reported a strength of 546,057 soldiers; the Army National Guard (ARNG) reported 358,078 and the United States Army Reserve (USAR) reported 201,166 putting the combined component strength total at 1,105,301 soldiers
Team oriented environment
Readiness NCO (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 5, 2012
As a Readiness NCO (Unit Administrator) for the Virginia Army National Guard, I would typically begin my day by meeting with my subordinates to review what issues they were working that day and upcoming suspenses, prioritizing our work load for future unit assemblies and training events. I led a team oriented full time staff and am not in favor of micro-managing, rather as trusting my subordinates as the subject matter experts in their areas of emphasis.
Weekly teleconferences were conducted with our higher headquarters, as well as with the full time staffs of other companies, in order to compare our progress on suspenses and actions and to insure the headquarters was aware of what we were working on. Also, I would correspond frenquently throughout the week with my unit commander to insure we were meeting his intent for upcoming events and to keep him abreast of any changes that were coming down from our higher headquarters.
My full time staff consisted of a supply NCO and a training NCO. My area of concern and expertise was administrative and unit readiness. I personally handled all personnel actions, pay, benefits, evaluations review, promotions and reductions, equal opportunity issues, etc. I advised the unit commander on all administrative issues, regulations and operating procedures.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that, outside of the full-time staff, the remainder of the company (131 men) was part time and only present one weekend a month. Communication was extremely important to the successful performance of my job.
Platoon Leader at Rockfalls Il
Private / Cadet / 2nd Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Rockfalls IlOctober 27, 2014
- I get there at 0600 and start with a training meeting with the Command team. After this, we split off to our first formation with the rest of the Soldiers, where we take accountability and inform them with the rest of the plans for the day/weekend. After this, dealing with paperwork, supervising, and leading the platoon through the mission that was given by the commander.

- I've learned much about how to work with the Soldiers, I have developed a great supervisor mentality and work well with people.

- My co-workers are very respectful of me and my position, they are willing to assist me when I am unable to complete my tasks on my own, and to teach me when I am not sure of what I need to do.

- The hardest part of my job is that I am brand new into the company, and I don't know any of the people outside of what I recently have discovered. Being able to work with them on a drill weekend is a challenge, but as I learn more and more about them, and earn more respect, the process is now becoming easier and easier.

- Learning to work with others and make a difference in their lives and the lives affected in the missions we complete is my favorite part of the job of the National Guard.
Pros
college tuition and skills for the rest of my life
Cons
sacrificing time
It is what you make it...
Aviation Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJune 14, 2014
I have been employed under the national guard for three years and two months, it has immense amounts of opportunities including a lot of "company parks". It is not easy nor for the weak at heart. You will be compensated well for the different jobs available, however, they must be available. There dozens of schools and learning opportunities to take advantage of but they are not easily accessible by just simply applying for them, you must be prepared to show your worth for these openings.
Down sides are the management and workload. The workload can be overwhelming and managers very difficult to deal with. Problems can vary from unit to unit so my experiences can greatly oppose mines depending on your assignment. Be aware that this is the National Guard and not the active duty army so the benefits and workloads vary based on your state.
Overall this job is well worth pursuing for anyone having trouble finding employment or is interested in going into the army wanting to remain in the hometowns or states. Just do plenty of research before diving head first.
Pros
experience and compensation, education opportunities and networking
Cons
management can vary from hard to cooperate with the outstanding, dependent on station assignment
soldier
soldier (Former Employee) –  grand rapids MIApril 22, 2013
A typical weekend in the national guard was as follows. First we usually reported in on Fridays gathered our equipment and shipped out to our training destination. The next morning we would train all day. Sunday's we would finish up our training and return to base.
I learned many things while serving in the national guard that were military oriented like driving multiple vehicles, shooting different weapon systems, and various other things.
The management of our company was done very well.
My co-workers were other soldiers some were easier to get along with than others but we accomplished our assigned tasks.
The hardest part of this job was having people who were not qualified in charge of me and could have ended up in me being killed. Also the national guard had a tuition reimbursement program while a soldier attends college but they never seemed to have money, or the deadline to fill out the papers would pass without receiving the information so I ended up never getting any reimbursement for college while I served even though it was available for all soldiers who serve.
The most enjoyable part of this job was not dying, and traveling to different lands, and meeting some interesting people.
Pros
served my country and did my job
Cons
not getting paid for college eventhough i was entitled to it for 4 years
It's the military... ish.. haha
Military Police Team Leader/Sergeant/ E-5 (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALMay 21, 2015
If you enjoy making friends and creating a bond with people that you will hold in such a high regard this is a great opportunity. The National Guard forwarded me MANY great opportunities to do things I never would have dreamed of doing before joining. The only downfall of the National Guard, from my point of view, is being "part time" so you don't have the opportunity to train on actual missions or tasks as much as an active unit may. Most of the drill weekends were very dull and full of "busy work". BUT, the times that you get to travel the world or the country and to do things you have never thought about doing before STRONGLY OUTWEIGH the dull weekends. There is a bit of a problem with the "Good 'Ol Boy System", but I believe that is an issue in active or reserve military. Having said that, it's not as bad as some make it out to be as long as you do what you are supposed to do then the "Good Ol Boys" will not even effect you. They seem to live for drill weekends to be able to wear their rank and push people around, but they don't bother people who do what they are supposed to.
Pros
EXPERIENCES!!!!
Cons
the cons are different for each person.
A fun and exciting time of my life
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 17, 2015
I was a member of the WI National Guard for 10 years. Typically we had 1 weekend a month of drill weekends and 2 weeks on Annual Training. I learned on how to work as a team member and as a leader as I was placed in charge of an Obstacle Section, using heavy equipment, i.e. Bulldozers, scrapers, graders and front end loader, to put in place obstacles, tank ditches, tank fight positions and individual fighting positions. I was in charge of 12 other soldiers and various equipment. Had to make sure that Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services were completed daily. Ensure enough lubricants and fuel was on site to complete daily missions, update service records and training records for equipment and soldiers. Hardest part of the job was getting everyone to work together as I was a young Corporal and had some soldiers who were older at a younger rank that I had to work with to get mission accomplished. Getting equipment repaired when break downs occur.
I enjoyed being part of a team and serving my country. Was a great feeling to be able to look at a mission from start to finish and see what work was done.
Pros
got to see different part of the us, rank advanced was there, work with heavy equipment
Cons
away from home at times, political issues bogged missions at times
Great place to set goals, learn about leadership & get a good education
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Glenville, NYDecember 14, 2014
OPSEC ' Operations Security '

National Guard units serve both the federal government and the state governments where they are based. The states are responsible for the training of their units, and they maintain responsibility for appointing officers within their units. This dual responsibility is at the core of the National Guard's mission and differentiates it from other military branches. The presence of National Guard units in each state provides governors with a critical tool, allowing them to call on their units at their discretion to provide aid and support when other state resources are insufficient.

The National Guard serves as a workforce training ground and second career for its members, who enlist for stints of either three, six or eight years. They devote one weekend a month and two weeks a year to training. Their pay rate depends on numerous factors -- including rank, job, education and experience -- and it increases for active-duty service. National Guard members can serve in one of more than 150 career fields, ranging from combat work to jobs that mirror their civilian roles in fields such as health care, law, engineering and ministry.
Pros
great team work, great leadership
Cons
rest when you can, long days ahead
Well established industry with security of USA foremost
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 15, 2014
I trained primarily 2 days per month - usually a weekend with military ceremonies, learning experiences of great variety related to being a Soldier of US Army plus usually two weeks usually in summer months training in area of specialty in my military assignment of caring for our military as well as civilians affected by our missions.
I learned a great deal of the military organization and mission as well as on-going training relating to my MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) which does not have much relationship to my work in the oil industry other than science and math applications of modern evolving technology.
Coworkers are the variety of ranks and work specialties within an organization with a mission to accomplish.
the hardest part is being regularly available perhaps for a long-term mission in a possibly hostile and war environment.
Most enjoyable part is seeing dedication of the United States government, military organization and personnel in carry out the mission - with the health and well-being of the people involved either maintained or enhanced.
Pros
good pay and benefits (as an officer), good equipment - best in the world, dedicated administration and fellow workers
Cons
variable work environments, adverse weather conditions occasionally, war atmosphere possible, survival living setting
1 Weekend a month and 2 weeks very summer
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Stow, OHJuly 15, 2014
All in all, being in the Ohio Army National Guard has been one of the best choices I have made in my life. As an E-6 I bring home about $500 for a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I am home every night after being released on most weekend training events. There are weekends you go to weapons qualifications, field training environments, etc. where you won't be home every day but it's only a weekend. For me, it is a great "reset switch" from daily events. After training, I come home with a re-energized and disciplined mindset and that is a wonderful thing.
Pros
1. the pay is good for a weekend of work, 2. it is a weekend a month away from the normal routine, 3. where else can you get paid to practice firing weapons at targets?, 4. gained knowledge/leadership experience and coursework certificates = great resume material, 5. the personal pride in being an american and defending our constitution
Cons
1. the possibility of deploying to another country and being away from family for a year, 2. no health benefits unless you pay for them yourself through tricare reserve select, 3. employers won't say it but it is an inconvenience for weekend training and 2 weeks of training
Very fun environment and was like my second family
92G-Food Specialist (Current Employee) –  Le Mars, IAAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at work included physical training, mental training, and fun. Even through some people may not find drill all that fun it has always been fun for me every time I go. I have learned the Army Values, and what is expected out of us new soldiers when in combat or not. You knew your chain of command if you had a question or needed to report something. They always worked with you. If you needed to tell them about school or other major life changing things, there were separate people who you went to that deal with it who are very kind and helping. The hardest part of my job is having to be told about the medical discharge. It is not something that i have ever wished for, and hope no one has to go through the same thing i did. My most enjoyable part of this job is the people. They made the days go by fast and soon became your new family outside of your own. Never will ever forget what we have all done together as one unit.
Pros
free food, learning experiences, and life changing experiences.
Cons
sometime the food would not be the greatest but it's all good.
Great way to learn new skills
91C- Utilities Equipment Repairer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 4, 2012
The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while Guard units are combat-trained and can be deployed overseas, they are just as likely to serve in their home communities—training just one weekend per month, and one two-week period each year.

During local emergencies, Guard units assist residents endangered by storms, floods, fires and other disasters. Guard companies deployed overseas may see combat, but are often found building schools and hospitals, training local peacekeepers or teaching local farmers more efficient techniques and better uses of their land.

When you enlist in the National Guard, you can choose to serve three, six or eight years—typically training just one weekend a month and two weeks a year. If you choose only three or six years, you’ll spend the remainder of the time in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)—which means you won't train with a unit, but you can still be called up in the event of an emergency during the balance of your total eight-year commitment.
Pros
100% free tuition, stay at home while fighting for country
Cons
not enough locations, locations too distant
Productive work environment.
25C - Radio operator/maintainer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 2, 2015
The begging of the day starts off around 8 am. We go and sign. Then we get briefed for what where doing for the rest of the day.Then they will give us five to ten minutes to get changed for psychical training. We will run and work out for around 30 minutes. After that we will have around 20 minutes to clean up and get changed. Then the real day starts. We will do a check up on all equipment and document how many radios we have, condition and things in that.Depending on what is on the agenda for that day, i will be communication on radios, or doing light maintenance on radios that need to be fixed. I enjoy the people i work with the best. We treat each other like family. They actually care about you and not just see yo as a person they knew at work. The hardest part of the job is making the time lines that we have. Some times we don't have the right tools, and enough people to get the job done in the time that they want it done, but that doesn't stop us. The management is also very good. They tell us what they want done, and when they want it done. They also talk to you and will listen to you when you got any concerns.
Pros
great group of people to work with.
Cons
thier is some people above me that seems out of place. they either don't like what their doing, or they just don't want to do the work.

4.5