National Guard
2,795 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

Serving my country has been the best accomplishment
Weapons Specialist (Former Employee), Johnston, IAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: 6 year contract
Being a soldier is not only an accomplishment but a privilege. I love my fellow soldiers and would give my life for theirs. My commanders have all been very well trained and disciplined.
Excellent job security and hours. Overall, this job is very rewarding.
Battalion Motor Sergeant (Current Employee), Haines City, FLAugust 4, 2014
Excellent organization to work for. Excellent job security and hours. Overall, this organization is very rewarding to work for.
Normal Day at Work
Network Switching systems Operator (Current Employee), Sheffield, ALAugust 4, 2014
This Alabama Army National Guard has tested my abilities in the IT field. While working there no matter what were doing I am always learning something. The majority of my IT knowledge has come from my experience in the Alabama Army National Guard.
i would do it all over again.
Owner (Former Employee), CaAugust 4, 2014
i loved serving my country and state. i loved serving with those next to me and becoming a leader and helping others reach a potential they couldn't see.
Everything was always change
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee), Skowhegan, MaineAugust 3, 2014
Pros: knowing you can trust everyone around you
Cons: possibly going to war
Every day was different and fun, I really enjoyed being with the people around me because you know they have your back in any situation because that's just how the military is, they all stick together.
Logistic Supervicer
Unit Supply Specialist (Enlisted) (92Y) (Current Employee), IndianaAugust 3, 2014
Pros: great pay with good family insurance
Cons: long hours and sometimes gone from home for long period of days.
Manage personnel on daily duties and contracts that are forecasted out to six months for all training requirements.

I learned how to be pro-active as changes happens day by day and working with different companies.

The hardest part of the job was tracking all funds to cover all training and manage the funds what is priority, because I was only slotted – more... with certain amount for the year. So sometimes I had to look at what is more important that had to be funded. – less
Always training physically and in job specific areas
Financial Management Technician (Current Employee), PhoenixAugust 3, 2014
Pros: healthcare, education benefits
One weekend per month I report to my unit. For most of the time period, I am training. I have leaned things such as healthy eating and exercising habits, working under pressure, team work, attention to detail, and finance regulations.
Traffic Management NCO
M-Day Part Time (Current Employee), Kinston, NCAugust 2, 2014
Pros: can go to training schools quicker than the active component.
Cons: funding, doing non job specific responsibilites
The Guard is not bad, the full-time staff does majority of the work and leaves everyone else out especially when it involves their job responsibilities. Depending on the state, you will have major funding issues especially coming back from a deployment.
Productive and Challenging Work Envioronment
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 2, 2014
Pros: 3 free meals a day and paid vacations
A typical day at work is usually dispatching and maintaining the accountability of our equipment maintenance and repair logs; making sure all equipment is up to standard due to army regulations. Along with that, maintaining the accountability of all army issue and returned standard issue. My management and co-workers are very dedicated and strive for – more... each one teach one so in worst bad scenario, the mission can still be completed. In my profession there isn't no hardest part of the job, I believe everyone has a task and that task is to complete whatever mission it is set in front of them to complete; but my most enjoyable part of my job is the travel. – less
Stress free work environment
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2014
Prepared and updated strength report of Soldier accountability, update and maintain Soldiers individual records.
Its the Army
HEALTH CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), abbevilleAugust 1, 2014
Pros: different experiences
Cons: army wackiness
Its the Army. Do what you are told and you will be good. Wake up early, PT, morning chow, go do your job. Do it over again.
Felt like a part of something bigger
Signal support system specialist 31U-10 (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: travel and some interesting stories.
Cons: no control over where you travel and a lot of boredom.
My time in the Ky Army National Guard has taken me to other states and other countries. My first two weeks Annual training was supposed to be winter training in North Dakota in February of 1991. Instead, we were activated, trained and shipped to the Persian Gulf for Operations Desert Shield and Storm. Other annual training took us to camps and forts – more... in Indiana, Mississippi, Virginia and to Forts Campbell and Knox.
Training was always interesting, with lots of information that I have sometimes been able to apply to the civilian world. There was also ample opportunity to help people when needed, such as natural disasters, or when just working things such as the Kentucky Derby or the Newport River Fest, or assisting law enforcement agencies. – less
Career Building Opportunity.
Major, Executive Officer, 108th Support Battalion (Former Employee), North Riverside, ILAugust 1, 2014
Pros: educational benefits
Cons: work life balance.
The IL ARNG provided funding for my civilian education, experience in personnel and operations management and a livelihood for twenty years.
Awesome
Military Police Officer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2014
3 deployments, tons of training, even after completing basic training. Fun people to work with, and always had room to grow.
great work
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2014
Pros: promotion and training
Cons: is hard to transfer job to the civilian
he Automated Logistical Specialist is primarily responsible for supervising and performing management or warehouse functions in order to maintain equipment records and parts.
Structured learning, advancement, and experience.
Sergeant, Fire Direction Control (Former Employee), Algona, IAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: free meals, worldly travel, professional development classes.
Cons: deployed more than expected.
Routine performance of job tasks as well as peripheral skills. Advancement opportunities, filtered; job security. Team work was essential for all activities. Management was structured with room for initiative.
Stephen Johnathan Boone
Guardsman (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 31, 2014
Establish and maintain stock records and other documents such as inventory, material control, accounting and supply reports Review and verify quantities received against bills of contracts, purchase requests and shipping documents Simplify and standardize the collection and use of maintenance data Raise the quality and accuracy of performance, cost – more... and parts data through improved maintenance management, Keep accurate records
Receive and stock bulk and package products Issue and dispense bulk fuels and water from storage and distribution facilities to using units Select and submit samples to laboratory for testing Perform petroleum and water accounting duties Operate equipment used with petroleum and water distribution system and multi-product pipeline , – less
Outstanding company.
Automated Logistical Specialist/ Squad Leader (Current Employee), Camp Bullis Texas.July 31, 2014
Pros: healthcare, tuition reimbursement, new experiences, networking
A typical day of my weekend drill, is not typical at all. I can do everything from drivers training, to qualifying with the weapon to jump out a plane. The people make it easy and outstanding, motivated soldiers from all over the region.
Supply Technican
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2014
Pros: just be consistant
Cons: dedicated service
Acquisition governmental hardware, working along with service
members.
Good job but only temporary
Squad Leader (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good teamwork
Cons: temporary
I have learned a lot as a soldier but this job is only for a few months. I am looking for a more secure job that i can look forward to going to everyday.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more