National Guard
2,644 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

Productive and always training for military
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Oshkosh, WIJune 21, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch and dinner, very good health care and other benefits
Cons: short time off, alot of training
-Training with shooting various weapons
-Learned discipline and respect
-Always make sure your co-workers are prepared
-Hardest part is to stay focused for power point classes
-Most enjoyable part is when you help other people in tragic moments and they appreciate your help
Army Medic
Medic (Current Employee), MissisippiJune 20, 2014
I am an Army Staff Sergeant in the Mississippi Army National Guard and work as a medic. I have two deployments to Iraq. I was responsible for the medical care of my platoon and those working under me.
Detail oriented, motivated, and goal setting team environment
Unit Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Gary, INJune 19, 2014
A typical work day at work consists of taking inventory of equipment, managing key control, dispatching vehicles, making supply and equipment pick-ups and drop-offs, inspecting equipment and vehicles for deployment readiness, conducting preventative maintenance inspections on equipment and vehicles, conducting turn-ins of soldier equipment, and performing – more... lateral transfers of equipment either to or from other military units. Through this sort of experience I have learned the necessity of attention to detail and how to execute a task that I am presented with. I've also learned effective communication, how to ask necessary questions for complete understanding and how to function as an integral part of a team to accomplish a common goal. The hardest part of the job is most likely being pulled in various direction so time management and prioritization skills are essential. The relationships I build with fellow members of my section of the unit and the feeling that we accomplish important goals together is most rewarding. – less
Patriotism at its finest
Ammo Team Platoon Sergeant (Current Employee), Lawrenceburg, TNJune 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: high stress during training. potential for deployments.
A typical day at work involves maintaining our vehicles and equipment, conduct classes and training, and fulfilling certain mission objectives. I highly recommend others to join despite certain hardships. Every soldier I have worked with tend to be all professionals with the exception of a very few; this is something instilled in every military personnel – more... as part of our identity. The hardest part is being apart from family. The most enjoyable part of the job is the numerous benefits available. – less
National Guard
SGT, Combat engineer (Former Employee), LewistonJune 18, 2014
SGT, Combat engineer (12B)/ Build bridges, specialties in vertical/electrical construction with correspondence. Deployed to Iraq 06/2004 -10/2005.
Patriotism
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 18, 2014
The best part about my job is the comradery and the unique people I meet. I love traveling and knowing that my job makes a difference.
Military
94E Comsec Repair (Current Employee), Kenosha, WIJune 18, 2014
i wake up everyday, to goto work, then when it comes to it i get to goto my unit and serve once a month.
Helping people in times of need
Mechanic B Trp (Former Employee), Johnston, IAJune 18, 2014
Pros: i got to help people
I was a part of one of the greatest organizations in the state of Iowa in terms of helping the public. We helped in disaster relief, states of emergency as well as when our nation called to fight the war on terrorism.
A great career opportunity
State Recruiting Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Blackstone, VAJune 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits and pay
Cons: it is the miliary, there are drawbacks, not for everyone
Challenging job that is constantly changing. You develop long term relationships with others, enjoy great benefits for serving your contry and state.
Great place to build yourself
Sr Satellite Communications Operator/Maintainer (Current Employee), Pinellas Park, FLJune 17, 2014
The National Guard is a great place to learn a job great for the civilian world. Working there also allows you to stay in your hometown, go to college and pursue a full-time job.
Saving the world, one weekend out of the month at a time
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee), Ruston, LAJune 17, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: being away from your family for extended periods of time.
A typical day is far from typical, because you will never know what you will be facing.

Overall what I learned from the guard is that you have to be responsible and accountable for everything that involves you. Also things operate smoothly if you work as a team.
Hooah
Human Resources Specialist (Enlisted) (42A) (Former Employee), Sea Girt, NJJune 17, 2014
What can I say after 20yr of service the military by far has been the best job and life teacher to me. Serving my country not only has made me a better person but the benefits, rewards and achievements that have been afforded to me would not have been possible had I not enlisted. HOOAH GO ARMY!!!
Excellent place to learn and lead
Forward Observer (Current Employee), Williamsburg, KYJune 17, 2014
Typical day includes training my soldiers with whatever material we are slotted with. The National Guard is a great place to learn leadership and discipline.
Great oppurtunities
Combat Engineer (Former Employee), Newburyport, MAJune 17, 2014
Perform military task assign to. be vigilant. Great opportunity to advance your career if in the military or once out.
Motor Transport Operator (Current Employee), Spring City, PAJune 17, 2014
Supervising and operating wheeled vehicles to transport personnel and cargo Operating assigned vehicles over varied terrain in support of combat operations Managing loading and unloading of personnel and equipment and protecting cargo against damage
Operating vehicle material handling equipment (MHE), as required
Corrections says it all
Course Manager/Senior Instructor (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 17, 2014
The job itself was good, the conditions you worked in were not so great. Staff were mostly ex-military so the common ground made it easy to assimilate to the regime.
Great job
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee), McConnelsville, OHJune 16, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: miss family
Great job. Worked with personnel from different parts of the world. Many hours to work but that's fine.
Infantry and Petroleum Distribution and Storage
US Army Reserves (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 16, 2014
The unit that I was attached to was an infantry unit, We were primarily responsible to deliver and dispense fuel to all types of vehicles including jet airplanes. The fule systems were collapsible and moveable.
Excellent organization to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Madison, WIJune 15, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, excellent group of people to work for/with.
Cons: healthcare
Fast paced yet laid back environment. Management and co-workers are excellent supervisors/peers. This position is in a Military setting and it is enjoyable to help out the Soldiers' and their needs.
Alabama National Guard Military Police
Military Police Soldier (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 14, 2014
MPs support battlefield operations through circulation control, providing area security, conducting prisoner of war operations, supervising civilian internee operations, and carrying out law and order operations. MPs also support the peacetime Army community protecting critical resources, implementing crime prevention programs, and preserving law and – more... order. – less

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more