National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 8,739 reviews matching the search
Rewarding and discipline-engendering environment
Specialist E-4 (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 9, 2016
It is an environment that allows for great development. There are great opportunities for acquiring new skills and hands-on experience. There is a lot of paperwork involved in almost everything done, which can be bothersome, but at the same time, everything is recorded and there is a paper record of just about everything that happens. The hardest part of the job for me is that it can at times be hard to make my schedule work with it. It is not always that flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is that I can learn so many skills that translate over to many civilian jobs, as well as some more specific skill sets.
Pros
Benefits, military discounts, health care
Cons
Flexibility
Life working in National Gaurd
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2016
Working with the national guard has been one of the most enjoyable parts of my life. I have gained many skills and learned many life lessons. Co-workers in the National Guard are Just like family. They will protect you with their life and will always push you to better yourself. The Hardest part of being in the military are the hours. It is more than a full time job at times, you miss your family and usually can not talk to them for very long stretches at a time.
Pros
Free lunches, Good lifestyle
Great Work Environment, Experience and Brotherhood
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 6, 2016
The military encourages me to challenge myself in all aspects of my life. In my current career, in my leadership skills, in my home life, in my physical fitness, in my mental fitness and more. The brotherhood we share in the military is one of a kind. I can meet anyone in the USA, and if we are both service members (current or retired), a bond between us has instantly been set that never would have been there otherwise.
Pros
Great work environment and great training available
Cons
Sometimes leadership sucks
A place where camaraderie allows you to learn together
WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VADecember 5, 2016
A typical day at work is servicing diesel vehicles and doing inventory for parts on hand. I learn more than my specialty because I cross train in Supply. Coworkers are my peers who have the same goals as me and we help each other achieve them together. The hardest part of the job is being away from home for some periods of time but "what does not kill you will make you stronger", and you get a great experience from your absences. The most enjoyable part of the job is the bond you build with your colleagues. You go through the same objectives and have to work as a team to complete them.
Pros
Health care, travel, education, personal growth, great experience
Cons
A League Of Ordinary, Intriguingly Diverse Individuals.
19 Delta Cavalry Scout (Current Employee) –  Hope, ARDecember 4, 2016
A Typical Day At Work Is Constructive And Knowledgeable.

Ive Learned That No Matter What The Task Is, If Everyone Does Exactly What There Suppose To Do Indivualy And Can Cooperate Effectively, The Workplace Is Great.

I Like How The Mangement Operates.

I Like The Diversity And Understanding Among My Coworkers.

The Hardest Part Of The Job Is Maintaining Self Discipline In Some Scenarios.

The Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job Is Knowing Your Part Of Something Honorably Recognized.
Pros
Benifits/Discounts
Review
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Abbeville, SCJanuary 2, 2017
I am a Sargent in the South Carolina National Guard. A typical day for me is training soldiers on new task and then giving them objectives to complete. After issuing objectives, I check back to make sure everything has been accomplished. If it has then I move on to new task or get ready for the next day. If the task are not complete then I will motivate everyone to finish and keep safe so we can complete the day.
Full Time vs Part Time
Administrative Transactions (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVDecember 2, 2016
In my observations, I found it very frustrating that the electronic programs will cease to function properly. It was also difficult to break through the "good ole boy" system. The lack of moral of present in sme of the organizations that I was affiliated with along with having trust issues with the other full time members verses the part time guard members.
Pros
GI Bill Education and Tuition Assistance
Cons
Miscommunication/Lack of Leadership/Support for Full Time force/
An excellent opportunity to serve your state and country
Human Intelligence Collector (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 16, 2017
The National Guard provided me with a unique opportunity to serve my community and nation if needed. I had the opportunity to recieve training from numerous subject matter experts in the field of Military Intelligence as well as an amazing opportunity to study the Arabic language at the Defense Language Institute.
Challenging and fun. We get to learn and do lots of new stuff with the vehicles.
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kingstree, SCNovember 29, 2016
As an integral member of the Mechanical Maintenance team, the Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic handles the maintenance and repair of light and heavy tactical vehicles and select armored vehicles. The Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic is primarily responsible for supervising and performing maintenance and recovery operations on wheeled vehicles and associated items, as well as heavy-wheeled vehicles.
For First Time Soldiers, The Guard is a good learning experience.
38B Finance and Management Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Augustine, FLJanuary 9, 2017
New Recruits can learn a lot, but prior service individuals, especially those coming from active duty, may find the National Guard to be very unsupportive, and hit and miss with their attention to details.
Pros
Good Benefits when they have the budget
Cons
Por motivation to help M-Day soldiers during non-drill times.
Great Work, Great Benefits
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Platteville, WIFebruary 21, 2017
I joined the National Guard partly to serve my country, but to also cut the proverbial chord with my parents and gain some Independence for myself. The National Guard will help with college, debt, student loans, and, when on deployment, family.

Work is not that bad. It is a simple 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year commitment.
Pros
benefits, military experience, small monthly commitments
Very proud to be part of the military.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 9, 2017
I learned a lot about my time in the military. I learned a skill that I would like to keep advancing in. I just have trouble finding a company or owner in my field to take on an apprentice. Working with people was difficult for me at first but with the military experience that has improved.
Pros
Free meals, able to go to school and find a career.
Cons
Not everything is consistant
Be prepared for what you are getting into
Soldier/19D Cavalry Scout (Former Employee) –  Yerington, NVFebruary 24, 2017
Working with National Guard had it's ups and downs. The ups was that you got the training you needed to be an excellent soldier and being able to apply those skills in the real world. The cons were usually very long hours, short breaks, and toxic leadership.
Pros
Free lunches, sense of duty and honor, works with school schedule.
Cons
toxic leadership
free paycheck and unkempt promises
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (91B) (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 1, 2017
overall glad i joined and served my country. But the advancement sucked unless your unit was on top of it. the work hours were horrible and unspecified. on the job training was minimal. lack of soldier care and hardly to never cooked and served mandatory lunches. i suggest go active unless you are a student.
Pros
minimal work
Cons
VERY minimal work
Productive and fun people to work with
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 18, 2017
My time with the National guard has been very fun. We know how to joke and get things done at the same time. The people are like a tightly knit family. We always enjoy challenges of the different vehicles that are brought in. I also feel like working with the National Guard I have great mechanical skills that can apply to my civilian life.
Hard to balance Guard duties with personal life. However, theres good morale, lifelong friends, and would definitely join again.
Military Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 23, 2016
While at drill you usually dont do much but sit a wait for the higher ups to tell you what to do, but sometimes we will get some good training in and will learn alot and be lots of fun. Management differs alot on your unit, but so far I have had nothing but good leaders. All the guys I go with are super cool never have any issues there. Hardest part is keeping up with the physical requirements of the job while working a personal job and dealing with personal issuses when im not a drill and no time to go to the gym or keep up with the physical aspects. The best part of the job is the comrodery and friendships.
Was a overall good experience but the job couldn't accommodate my families needs
Avionic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 22, 2016
Wake up, report to work, complete the tasks of the day, report again and repeat.

I learned to be apart of something bigger than myself.

my co-workers were good and bad.

the hardest part of the job being part from my family.

management varied there was great NCOs and officers and then there were terrible people who didn't deserve the stripes on there chest.

the most enjoyable part of the job, was to serve my country.
Daily Routine
Receptionist/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 22, 2016
There is NO typical day at work! this is a new contract and NO ONE knows what is going on. It is unorganized, Expectations are EXTREME. Management is not helpful, they have NEVER been in Credentialing field before so they don't know how to do your job, but are very good at giving orders without knowing timelines or realistic outcomes. They put unrealistic time limitations on employees and the stress level is out of this world.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Negative Work envirnment.
fun and very educational provides excellent work ethics
Small Wheel mechanic (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 28, 2016
as soon as you swear in it is nothing but hard work and dedication from that point on . the best part is knowing that you accomplished something not the average person can do . There are many things you learn and apply to yourself such as a sense of responsibility and leadership
Pros
great work atmosphere
Cons
only work one weekend a month
Hard but worth it
Military Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 18, 2017
As a 31-B, my average day varies greatly. One day we are working on police procedures and the next we are working on typical Army skills. My chain of command is wonderful but I know some struggle with their own. The physical aspect and paperwork frustrations are the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is when you get the opportunity to help people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5