National Guard Employee Reviews

It was the military
Nuclear and Biological Chemical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 8, 2017
It was one of the greatest things I ever did in my life. To say I served my country when many others wont was amazing. I would suggest to anyone. It changed my life for the better
Pros
Experience
Cons
Gone alot
Great Experience
Surface Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJDecember 8, 2017
Being part of the National Guard is a rewarding experience. Thanks to the National Guard I have had the honor to serve both the State and Nation in times of crisis
Pros
Cnace to serve
Productive environment
Petroleum Supply & Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, NCDecember 7, 2017
I learned management and leadership skills. Interacting with people from different ethnic backgrounds prepared me for any work environment. Fast paced and lots of room for growth.
Great benefits for people going to school
Corporal (E-4) (Former Employee) –  Bennettsville, SCDecember 7, 2017
The National Guard is best suited for people wanting to pursue higher level careers. It helps pay for college but it is aggravating at best to deal with all of the leadership.
Pros
College Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great
Cryptologic Linguist (Current Employee) –  UtahDecember 7, 2017
I love my country for it is the only one that I have, I am willing to give my life for this country and I know that my comrades are also willing to give their's if needs be.
Military
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 7, 2017
It was the military there is little perdition of what you would be doing. Serving was something that I did proudly, and would do it all over again if I had the chance
Not the job for me
AH-64D Attack Helicopter Repairer (15R) (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PADecember 7, 2017
Most people like the job because they got to fix a cool piece of machinery. I hated it because I was horrible at working with tools. I wish they would have not allowed me to get this job. My time in Afghanistan was a waste of my time and waste of Tax dollars. The helicopters weren't used for combat at all where I was stationed.
culinary arts
Culinary Specialist(92G) (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 7, 2017
I am as SSG who is in charge of 4 Soldiers who serve and prepare food for our hungry and hard working Soldiers for annual week training and weekend drills
Pros
na
Cons
na
Be all you can be!!
U.S Army National Guard Laboratory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXDecember 7, 2017
I was a soldier and my MOS was 92 Bravo, Medical Laboratory Specialist. Basic Training was not easy but rewarding. At FT. Sam Houston I learned blood banking, microbiology, serology, immunohematology, chemistry, hematology and urinalysis.
Pros
Serving your country.
Cons
A lot of running.
very hard work
soldier (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaDecember 7, 2017
I really enjoyed the military but it just didnt fit with me i guess. I ended uo being diagnosed with asthma and sent home to work on things. Then when home i ended up pregnant and have chosen to go a different path in life. I would like to get a decent job start schokl and continue on with a career.
Most enjoyable job
Assists the Battle NCO and Battle Captain (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARDecember 7, 2017
The AR JOC is the most rewarding job if you like Emergency Management. It is a little known job the National Guard offers but, the training, relationships, and overall environment make it worth while.
Pros
The job
Cons
Long hours, always on call
Fun and Easy Work
TEAM LEADER(SGT) (Current Employee) –  TNDecember 7, 2017
• Responsible for individual training, personal appearance and cleanliness of soldiers
• Maintain wheeled vehicles, their associated trailers and material handling equipment systems
• Inspecting, servicing, maintaining, repairing, replacement, adjusting and testing of wheeled vehicles and material handling equipment systems, subsystems and components
• Service automotive electrical systems including wiring harness, and starting and charging systems
• Perform wheeled vehicle recovery operations
Worth it
Senior Instructor, Officer Candidate School (Current Employee) –  Camp Smith, NYDecember 7, 2017
It is a good job. Good way to get education benefits and to have new experiences. You meet alot of great people and get opportunities to learn new things and go to different schools.
Pros
Extra money, benefits, friends, discounts, experiences, schools, school money
Cons
Long hours, toxic work environments, control, egos, stress
great place to build a career
Rank PFC (Former Employee) –  Niantic, CTDecember 7, 2017
Training is hard for some but not too bad overall. the pay is lacking especially for the deployments but wasn't why i joined. Unfortunately a lot of people will throw you aside for a promotion or to make themselves appear better.
Performed an important role in the security of the country
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 7, 2017
Hourly employee that wears the military uniform. Which means your are not a traditional soldier, instead you are an hourly employee and fall under a pay grade other than military.
Pros
Serving my country, and 4 day work weeks
Cons
Wearing the military uniform the public thinks you are active duty which you are not.
I enjoy a fast pace job, I am very active
Civilian Kitchen Worker Camp Grafton (Former Employee) –  Devils Lake, NDDecember 6, 2017
I worked the early morning breakfast shift, which required that I be at work by 5 am, no matter what the weather was. Then I opened my Cheese Market everyday. So I kept very busy
Pros
Good People
Cons
Nothing negative to say

Comment – December 8, 2017

I found the soldiers we served meals to were the best people I have ever met.

Na
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GADecember 6, 2017
i've been in the national guard for five years. It's helping me pay for my college degree and gives me the opportunity to go out of the country. I enjoy bleeding green.
crazy place
Fueler (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXDecember 6, 2017
its a crazy place to work for i have fun and i have alot of friends there as well the hards part of my job it keeping track of the fuel and the trucks
Hard work does pay off
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  NCDecember 6, 2017
Loved what I did and enjoyed the job. Information was readily available. Great opportunity to excel or jump start new career. Teamwork and trust is most important
workplace
Human Resource Specialist (42A) (S1-Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CADecember 6, 2017
There are many challenges/facets in the upper management and not organized in the use of production and scheduling with the very long work hours. The workplace culture are tough, however, you get to know a fellow staff member/soldier when there's accountability.
Pros
New skills set when its available
Cons
Needs more communication and understanding with staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5