National Guard
3,992 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Florida Army National Guard
Electrician/Soldier (Current Employee), Quincy FlJune 16, 2015
The Florida Army National Guard is an excellent division of the military I am honored to be apart of this American tradition.
Very good place to work.
Platoon Leader (Current Employee), Providence, RIJune 16, 2015
The National Guard provides people with an opportunity to serve their country and I would recommend doing it at a young age.
Its an all around good job to have.
Fun and intense (Current Employee), Ft polk laJune 16, 2015
Being in this job requires dedication and good listening skills. however it is a good experience to have in the end. Its a good suggest for younger adults who are searching.
Great expirence
mechanic and base secuity (Former Employee), Boise, ID iraqJune 16, 2015
Pros: learned alot and camaraderie
Cons: none
enjoyed every part of it including my two tours that I served in Iraq.I was always busy learning new things and was always committed to my work when on duty.
Challenging position
National Guard Chaplain Assistant (Former Employee), Blackstone, VAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Structured and organized
Cons: Long hours
The Military has always appealed to me. It was structured and always fair. Many people may disagree, but then, if we all thought the same this wouldn't be the world it is.
productive, fun, and learning environment.
PFC (Current Employee), Pukalani, HIJune 14, 2015
There is never a set agenda, we do variety of things. As in, organize the office space, inventory, paper work, cleaning, field training, team building exercises, and building or fixing different things. Before I joined the national guard I didn't have any knowledge of Carpentry or masonry. My superiors were always present and active with the team, whenever I needed information or help with anything – more... they were there to with an answer and they made it their job to know everyone. Being with my coworkers was pleasant it was like a second family. We all worked well with each other and taught each other new things. Everyone was helpful and a team which was effective when getting the task done. Most of the time the hardest part of the job was working in the blazing sun especially with the uniform on but being and staying hydrated helped a lot. I enjoyed working with my team with the various activities we had every month. – less
Weekend Warrior
Unit Supply Specialist/ Inventory Management (Current Employee), Manchester, NJJune 14, 2015
Weekend warrior.
Working within my department dealing with mathematics, bookkeeping, accounting, business administration and/or typing
•Ability to keep accurate records
•Enjoy physical work
•Interest in operating forklifts and other warehouse equipment
Outstanding leadership oppurtunities
Project Officer (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJune 14, 2015
The National Guard provides outstanding personal growth and leadership opportunities. You can expect to stretch your intellectual and physical limits to meet organizational goals and be rewarded for outstanding performance.
always a pleasure working with people
Federal Technician (Former Employee), Laurel, MDJune 14, 2015
A typical day of the guard is keeping inventory of all material. taught classes on vehicle maintenance. Drills contained a lot of meetings on the productiveness of the unit. Classes to keep updated performance.
You decide
Second Lieutenant (Former Employee), Quitman, MSJune 13, 2015
Pros: you get to travel and meet people
Cons: contract your life to the government
The army is what you make of it. It just wasn't what I wanted to do any longer. I wanted to focus on developing my family. The paychecks are consistent.
Full time work with the Guard is a sweet deal
Battalion level Retention NCO (Current Employee), U.S.June 12, 2015
Pros: Benefits, travel, very proactive work, plenty of choices for work
Cons: long absences from home, sometimes ridiculous work hours, chiggers
I know the pay isn't exactly the baconator, but it will sustain a family easily enough. The benefits meet and exceed the rumor. There are times when my personal life gets set aside, but I believe most careers require something of that. Advancement is more a personal choice or challenge. It was up to me to make good choices and work hard for improvement, rather than waiting to be noticed. Management isn't always agreeable, but what I liked about it is simple enough. You always knew where you stood, and what to do about it.
Excellent Team Oriented Business
94 E RADIO REPAIR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), MSJune 12, 2015
Pros: Leadership, physically demanding, rewarding.
Cons: Lazy coworkers, extreme temperatures.
Regarding the military, everything is designed for the betterment for the whole. A side effect of this practice is that the individual needs of each soldier will be put on hold. I rate 3/5 simply for the administrative end of the military. It's bad enough to take 2 stars away from an otherwise awesome place to work.
From sun (almost) up, to sun down, we worked together to solve any and all issues – more... that we had and completed all the missions that were assigned to us on time and within all guidelines.
Leadership knew what they were doing and were great mentors and motivators.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with unmotivated, lazy people who tried harder to get out of a job then it would take to complete it themselves.
Leadership was the most enjoyable part of the job. The great leaders made an everlasting impact on my life despite how strict and unforgiving they were. – less
Mostly part-time except during activation
Disbursing Officer/Finance Supervisor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 12, 2015
Pros: Well trained by the Navy which allowed my skills to exceed my management.
Cons: Was not a good example of the Military as opposed to active duty training.
A typical day consisted of busy work during week-end drills. Cleaning unused weapons that were cleaned previously, erecting tents only to take them down the next day, very little finance training or military knowledge skill taught. I learned absolutely nothing that I did not already know as a result of years on active duty with the U.S. Navy-which I loved and would learn to miss. The management environment – more... was more of a "good old boy's club" that was conducive to a select group of full-time Guard members. Little to non-existence of military bearing or ability displayed by senior enlisted. I do not recommend the Army Guard to anyone with more that four years of active duty from another branch of service. I found it disappointing! However, most of the officers were not full-time members and conducted themselves appropriately. My co-workers were mostly low ranking enlisted with many years of service that did not reflect their perceived abilities. Therefore, little effort was produced as most simply marked time. The hardest part of the job was trying to reconcile how a senior enlisted individual could achieve such rank without the ability to operate simple computer functions and lack of management skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing years of service required for retirement. – less
Best job
Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee), Franklin, INJune 11, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunities
Cons: nothing
Amazing opportunities with being in the national guard. Good education benefits as well. You get paid to stay in shape and you meet good people and make good friends. This is the best opportunity.
Important National Guard Weekends.
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Kinston, NCJune 11, 2015
The National Guard offers soldiers the opportunity to specialize in a job field by teaching the latest knowledge and using the most modern equipment available in the field. In a typical Guard weekend, we would maintain section vehicles, engage in section training, and test and maintain communications equipment. I learned how to lead my fellow soldiers whether it was through exercising, teaching various classes, and leading projects. I enjoyed the camaraderie with my fellow soldiers and the job I was trained to do. Our section was also family oriented and would organize events that included the whole family. The part of my job that I didn't enjoy was lack of communication between section leaders within my unit.
Working with Supply/Weapons
unit supply specialist (Former Employee), Trenton, TNJune 11, 2015
Pros: good pay and benifits
Cons: time away from your family
The Unit Supply Specialist is primarily responsible for supervising or performing tasks involving the general upkeep and maintenance of all Army supplies and equipment.

Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:

Receives, inspects, inventories, loads, unloads, segregates, stores, issues, delivers and turns-in organization and installation supplies and equipment. Operates unit level computer.
It's the Army.
E1 (Former Employee), Hermitage, PAJune 10, 2015
Train to better myself as an individual and a soldier. I learned to be disciplined and a better person. Management was amazing and willing to help at any moment. My co-workers were amazing providing their support to keep pressing on. Hardest part of the job was going through the Gas Chamber. Most enjoyable day at work was the day I graduated basic training.
Military Survice
Soldier (Current Employee), MarylandJune 10, 2015
Completed Basic Combat Training Course. Successfully completed 21W10 Carpentry/Masonry Course. Participated in two States of Emergency. Assist three soldiers with their military development. Lead thirty soldiers in physical training sessions. Coordinate my team in order to accomplish missions quickly and efficiently. Project Leader for a designated masonry project while in El Salvador. Non Commissioned Officer in charge of my unit’s supply room. Promoted to rank of Sergeant in four years.
serious
truck driver (Current Employee), dover deJune 10, 2015
I love to protect and serve with the National Guard. We U.S soldiers take our jobs very serious. The Guard and ever other branch had and will fight until our very last breath to keep this country safe
Great workplace.
PFC/ E3 (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCJune 10, 2015
Workplace flexibility (scheduling, telecommuting, working arrangements) has the potential to provide employees with the ability to succeed at work while fulfilling personal needs such as family obligations or educational pursuits. Many studies have suggested that workplace flexibility is linked to greater employee productivity and retention, though concerns often arise related to the effort required to manage a system fairly and effectively.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries