National Guard
4,123 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

Not enjoyable
soldier (Current Employee), RIJuly 17, 2015
Do not sign up. Not worth the pay or benefits. Incredibly boring. Funds are low which means all the fun has left. Most employers do not wish to have National guard members in their employment because of the amount of time you are gone. Most weekend drills include fridays.
You can benefit greatly by joining the military.
(Signal Support Specialist (25U) (Current Employee), Winchester, TennesseeJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Payed for the time you go to drill
Cons: You can lose money on the dates you go to drill if you make more on the weekends.
A typical day at work is you wake up early. You do Physical training. Then you learn about a lot of different things. You're management is you're non- commissioned officers which are called Sergeants. – more... They are the ones who take care of you and they do. You're co workers can be relaxed or they can be just down right ridiculous at times to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is putting up with a lot of drama. The most enjoyable part of the job is only being a soldier once a month. – less
Enjoyed the travel
Senior Training Advisor (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSJuly 17, 2015
Worked with the National Guard in a tri-state region. Instructed soldiers on the proper way to conduct field training.
A day in the National Guard
Human Resource Assistant (Military) (Former Employee), IndianaJuly 17, 2015
Pros: training, teamwork, good enviroment
Cons: pay, benefits
* Typical day was mainly manual and basic Army combat training throughout the day.

* Baisc HR skills and communication

* Leadership was professional and helpful to others

*Co workers were trustworthy and hard working

* Hardest part of the job was getting use to the military world

* Best part was thr fun training and good men I served with
Exciting
Chemical Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Chipley, FLJuly 16, 2015
A place where you make long lasting friendships like no other. Training is intense but wonderful. A complete life changing experience.
Heavy Equipment Operator - Distribution Operations
Heavy Equipment Operator - Distribution Operations (Former Employee), Marshall, MOJuly 16, 2015
Worked 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year.

Would train and mentor 20 personel.

I enjoyed the time I was with the National Guard. They allowed me to be a full time student while working as an distrabution speacalist.

It made transitioning easier into the civilian work force, coming from active duty Army.
great workplace
Infantrymen (Current Employee), ThibidouxJuly 16, 2015
awesome place to work, good job, nice employers, good pay, a way to get ahead of yourself, and a great place to work together. great learning experience.
Great place with the opportunity to advance
Recruiter (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Work alot of weekends
If you do a great job you will advance. Requires a lot of weekend work and travel. Great team environment with great co-workers!
Military Officer
Company Fire Support Officer (Current Employee), Freehold, NJJuly 15, 2015
The National Guard provides a necessary service for the United States and is adept at executing domestic and international operations.
Good early career decision I made in my life
Wheel and Track Vehicle Repairman (Former Employee), Bamberg, SCJuly 15, 2015
I remain in the Army and the S.C. National guard for a total of over 27 year combined. Even though I didn't get the promotions and schooling I felt I should have. now I am making the best of the benefits that I earned.
Fun workplace
Raid Operator (Former Employee), Kingshill, VIJuly 15, 2015
Pros: great pay and work environment
Cons: none
good company to work for, flexible schedule and good management. it was great experience for me .
i just wish they could have pay more.
Proud to have served
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Portland MEJuly 15, 2015
I think I would have been better serving as active duty Army than as National Guard. Having 2 kids every other weekend prevented me from doing so.
Disciplined workplace with different cultures
91C Utility Repairer (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 15, 2015
For Drill weekends, show up for morning formation, attentively work all day and you will be respected. Observe Army Regulations and follow them accordingly.
Professional Environment Design to develop the individual and team.
Army Space Support Team Leader (Current Employee), Colorado SpringsJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Travel and training opportunities
Cons: Give up some weekends
Any organization is only as good as the people in it, in which case, this in a very good organization. However, with any government employment there is a significant of bureaucracy to maneuver around and through in order to be effective.
acquired several skillsets and training in variety
team leader (Current Employee), Wyoming, MIJuly 15, 2015
I was able to acquire many different skills and knowledge in a variety of training to be able to complete any task in a team or as a leader
versatile training at high energy level
Graduated as head squad leader (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Tuition assistance
Cons: low pay
I loved being the part of a team to serve a larger purpose. I enjoyed all of the different types of training from combat to technical training.
Fun work. Hands on training with ammo and rocket trucks.
Specialist (Current Employee), Lawton, OKJuly 15, 2015
I enjoy getting to serve my country and utilizing the equipment needed to perform my job. The training i have received while being in the National Guard has taught me better standards to which I live my life and perform my job.
Good people,Nice place to be at
HVAC Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 14, 2015
Pros: you get to wear uniforms
Cons: very little training time
I would go and work on all of the air conditioning units on the property. Kept area clean, meet all kinds of different good people.
Military Organization
Active Guard Reserve (AGR) Program (Current Employee), Ft. Benning, GAJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Cohesive and professional work environment.
Cons: None
Extremely professional work environment that enhances the leadership abilities of employees. Missions and assisgnments are planned in accordance with the knowledge, skills and abilities of individuals, squads, platoons and units.
productive, and helps your work ethic
Supply specialist and Combat engineer (Current Employee), Douglasville GaJuly 14, 2015
Pros: education, morals, good work ethic
Cons: maybe the pay but overall there is nothing really bad that i can say about the national guard.
The army national guard is a very good and professional organization to be a part of or work for. The guard helped me as an individual with my life, children and family. I learned alot about life in the – more... guard, and the military period. It motivated me to become a better person and I enjoy everyday of being apart of the american military. I've been a part of the military since i graduated from highschool in 2005 and it has impacted my life in a very good and professional way. – less

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries