National Guard
3,781 reviews

National Guard United States Employee Reviews

Builds leadership, accountability, and a sense of duty
Field Artillery Officer (Current Employee), Lufkin, TXApril 8, 2015
Pros: Firing artillery
Cons: Sometimes wasted training time
Army National Guard provides development opportunities in leadership skills such as: management, supervision, project/missions planning, time management, and critical thinking.
proud to serve my country
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee), Lewiston, IDApril 7, 2015
Pros: stable bennifits/medical
Cons: being sent to IRAQ every two years
i retired after 28 years of working as full time federal employee there is so many thing that i have done and were responsible for to list at this time. on a normal day your main job was to service and maintain the equipment.used to train soldiers in the national guard. so the repairs changed depending on what was needed.and what was broken from the last training event .you had to do it all welding,cutting fabrication operation of many types of large equipment.the work place was OK to work at but as the higher you got on the promotion list the more cut throat people you ran into.it was nice to meet so many different types of people and travel
Enjoyable place to work
Battery Executive Officer/Special Projects Officer (Current Employee), Lansing, MIApril 6, 2015
Great workplace that balances a high paced environment with adequate time for family and personal growth.

Can be monotonous but exciting. Travel is a possibility.
Drill
88M/Truck Driver (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, INApril 5, 2015
Drill normally consists of a formation around 0630, usually start our day off with a little bit of PT. Later on we work on our trucks, and help maintenance out with their vehicles. A lot of team work and a lot of handwork on our drill weekends.
Drill once a month
Logistics Officer (Current Employee), Richmond VaApril 4, 2015
Pros: Learn Discipline and leadership skills
Learn tactics
Accountability
learn and utilize leadership skills
I enjoy putting on the uniform and getting respect from peers.
Discipline, Integrity, and Perseverance
All Source Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 4, 2015
Pros: All the benifits of the Army
Cons: I will be unavailable on weekends
-I am currently serving in the Pennsylvania National Guard (PAARNG)

-I am an All Source Intelligence Analyst (35F)

-I have a top secret clearance

-I have familiarity with military training, tactics, and procedures

-A typical day begins at 0400 with wake up and personal hygiene and continues with physical training, breakfast, and moves into an office like environment where I work at a computer for 4-8 hours (with an hour break for lunch) tasking equipment and personnel, monitoring situations, creating slide shows and briefings, advising my superiors, and brief groups of people from 1- several hundred people.
91B Mechanic I (Former Employee), Blackstone, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Fun to repair
Cons: Low compensation
Respond to all service calls, repair and replace components on vending machines. Install machines at various locations.
Will change your life.
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 3, 2015
Will prepare you for the future and give you the drive to better in your civilian life. You will meet people from all walks of life and learn skills you normally would't
Military in Saudi Arabia
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Saudi ArabiaApril 3, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: hot and windy
Served in the Gulf war, in Saudi Arabia. Looked after others, and following the commands of the boss. Toured the country, set up the place, prepared for the best, and cooked for them. Drove vehicles.
Amazing opportunity to contribute to a national mission.
Platoon Leader (Current Employee), Winchester, VAApril 3, 2015
The National Guard is a great organization that will allow you to have a civilian career while contributing to a national mission. NGB could consider a training schedule that maximizes training time.
Challenging and rewarding
Executive Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 3, 2015
Working in the National Guard can be a very challenging and rewarding experience. You get to develop your leadership abilities in complex problem solving situations.
Very satisfiying work, to help serve your country is an honor.
Sergeant (E-5) (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCApril 3, 2015
Pros: The grattitude from civilians
Cons: The physical labor
As a Sergeant in the US Army I had the pleasure of serving my country, and learning about other countries culture and practices which allowed me to enhance a great level of respect and admiration for others around the world. As a NCO in the Army I had a great expirence of leading America's sons and Daughters in military operations, which helped me become the leader I am today. The hardest part of my job was the process of basic training, and all the rigorous work that was asked. The most enjoyable part was the team building aspect and the bonds that were formed in the process.
Great overall job
Motor Transport Operator (Former Employee), Southaven, MSApril 2, 2015
Pros: Great management and people.
Cons: Short breaks.
Great teachers of the job, hard workers, awesome people. Favorite part was the management. Most enjoyable was my lieutenant. He was sharp and full of energy.
Master Badge Recruiter (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 2, 2015
It was a great place to work. Great retirement and medical benefits
A fast pace environment and changing.

What you the most enjoyable part helping people
Awarding
SUPPLY SERGEANT (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYApril 2, 2015
Learning from and teaching those skills to the next was the best lessons of the job. The Army is a family that you will always be part of..
very fun place to work.
Military Police Officer (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2015
very active and great learning environment. can learn how to climb the ladder to success and in the proper order. great stepping stone to many different jobs in the united states.
Not for the weak minded
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee), Coshocton, OHApril 1, 2015
Pros: Experience and opportunites for advancement
Cons: Time away from family
I love my career with the guard. I do not recommend for everyone. I get to do a lot of things that the majority never will. I also get the satisfaction of feeling like I am doing something for my family and country. I have met many great people through this experience who have become more like family. I love the fact that if I work hard enough I can get promoted. Hard to find in a civilian job.
Fun and very rewarding work
UH-60 Maintainer (Current Employee), Ft. Lewis, WaApril 1, 2015
Pros: Rewarding
Cons: long time away from home
Great organization to be a part of. Serving your country and your community has no better rewards than seeing that what you do makes a difference.
A great decision choice for anybody
Carpentry and Msonry Specialist (Current Employee), Lewisville, TxApril 1, 2015
The guard is great decision for anybody. It will help build character , discipline and moral standards. It was a great choice for me.
Productive and fun place to work at
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Muncie, INApril 1, 2015
Pros: Advancement
Cons: Can't make a living
Working for the Indiana National Guard is a fantastic career to start. Working with leaders and learning how to become one later on in the future is a wonderful experience. I love driving heavy vehicles, working with them, and working with the heavy equipment as well.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries