National Guard
3,854 reviews

National Guard Employee Reviews

It's the national guard
Infantry and Combat Engineer (Current Employee), Soldier, KSApril 30, 2015
Pros: prestige
Cons: it's only once a month
All depending on the unit you are in the the job you have. Can be a lot of fun or miserable. In all I think it's a great experience for anyone.
An excellent place to start.
Communications Specialist/Assistant Section Chief (Former Employee), Pomona, CAApril 30, 2015
Pros: The ability to learn new skill and have some room for advancement.
Cons: Some take advantage and advance without meeting requirement, some prefer personal gain over integrity.
The U.S. Army is an excellent place to go for Direction. They don't ask for any kind of experience and they will train you for a specific job and to prepare you for your future. They will, in essence, feed you, cloth you, train you, and get paid for it. The benefits are excellent with Medical and Dental available through the V.A. and other private companies. You get to travel to places where you are needed and and the hardest part for me was leaving. I enjoyed it because I was part of something bigger.
Produsctive work place with all of fun skills to learn.
Welding and machinist (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 29, 2015
Went to class to learn how to use the mill, lathe, and all wielding. I learned all the fundamentals of being in the military and kept them. Hardest part of the job was waiting for the machines to finish their job.
Great location- close to home
Government Contractor (Personnel Specialist) (Former Employee), Blackstone, VAApril 29, 2015
The staff and management were great. Flexibility was one of the many perks of working there. They had an awesome wellness program and they encouraged you to take advantage of it.
NCO
Assistant Engagement Operations NCO (Former Employee), OhioApril 28, 2015
Great career to learn and make life long friends. Great benefits and growth potential throughout the state. Plenty of school oppurtunities
Productive and fun place to work
92W (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHApril 28, 2015
Pros: The people I work with and learning new skills
Cons: When people do not corroperate
For my service I check and make sure certain equipment is functioning properly and sometimes leading or assisting the leaders to help the mission be successful. I also preform whatever duties I am required and or ordered to do, but I enjoy knowing I helped out my comrades and the community as best as I could.
Taking lots of information and turning it into readable material
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Lansing, MiApril 28, 2015
Fun job with long hours have to work hard to get job done. Take alot of stuff and turn it into some thing readable. Get to know alot about people and stuff.
great work experience
Staff Sergeant (Former Employee), Marana, AZApril 27, 2015
loved every minute of it! I was follower and was molded into a leader in the military and civilian life. I was trained and helped train soldiers and helped with the community. loyalty duty respect selfless service honor integrity personal courage is my priority in life.
Fair and Fun environment
Military Police (Current Employee), North Little Rock, ARApril 26, 2015
I love working in the Army National Guard. It is fair and rewards those who do well and punishes those who do not. Very good pay and management is always on an improvement mentality.
Best Job I've Ever Had
89B Ammunition Specialist, Sergeant (Current Employee), Little Falls, MNApril 26, 2015
Pros: Career advancement, job duties
Cons: Lack of stability
The National Guard has been the best employer I have ever had. The principles which the Guard stands for, the opportunities made available to the soldiers, and the other soldiers I would work with are some of the best people I have ever known. My only real issue with the Guard is the lack of stability in your personal life.
Great way to serve the community
Sergeant First Class (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCApril 25, 2015
Great place to serve the community and help with the war on drugs. Helped a lot of people to help themselves. Hardest part of the job was seeing the impact of drugs on families. I enjoyed the job because it was fast paced and exciting.
Awesome Career Opportunities
Recruiter Nominee (Current Employee), Cleveland, TNApril 25, 2015
Pros: Lots of Opportunities
Cons: Time away from Familly
The Tennessee Army National Guard is an awesome job that makes career advancement possible and offers so many benefits and opportunites. They offer 100% Tuition Assistance, The Montgomery G.I Bill, and so much more.
A learning experience
Warrant Officer (Former Employee), Stockton, CAApril 24, 2015
It was quite an adventure. But being in the service taught me the importance and value of team work and how to be a leader. The hardest part of the job was the rigorous training at boot camp.
be an officer finish college or trade school
Active Guard Reserve (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 23, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: just like corporate America now, get your own 401k and exit plan
retired, at a high price. My youth could have been spent finishing my education. Let go before I got twenty active years, despite a recommendation for a med board due to reduction in force. Don't believe this is how you will treated if u don't have the hookup, just search good ole boy network and national guard.

hours can be long if your a supply sergeant
or activated.

Pay was good, above market rate for civilian counterparts education level required

I learned valid complaints dissappear into a hole unless it gets on the news

management like any other company, getting their golden parachutes ready for near total disability ratings and running own private companies on the side to get pork barrel contracts

coworkers can hang out for life if deployed together, or hang out if h freezes over
Sense of Urgency
Carpentry/ Masonry Specialist (Former Employee), Chippewa Fals, Richland CenterApril 23, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: Strict Schedule
General heavy carpentry, structural steel, and masonry duties that include the fabrication, maintenance, and repair of rigging devices, trusses, and other structural assemblies.

Assisted in building layout, framing, sheathing, and roofing structures, as well as constructing concrete form work for slabs, walls, and columns.

Operated table and circular saws, bobcat, chainsaw, drills, and fork lift.

Operated leaf blowers, spin and hedge trimmers, zero-turn and walk-behind tractors, backhoe, and company vehicles.
Great job
Instructor Pilot (Current Employee), Buzzards Bay, MAApril 23, 2015
I currently fly the UH-60 Black Hawk. I also run the Transportable Black Hawk Operations Simulator. I have learned a lot about aviation and the people I fly with throughout my time, not only as an instructor pilot, but as a pilot. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to teach and instruct other pilots and other crew members.
Signal Support System Specialist (Current Employee), Lafayette, INApril 23, 2015
They helped me get into the guard and pursue a great career. With their guidance and extra help I was able to graduate my schooling as honor graduate and return home with confidence to begin my career.
Very structured
Machine Operator - Bobcat (Former Employee), Carson City, NVApril 22, 2015
Has a great physical fitness program, food was good other then that I truly dont want to return.. I operated equipment and maintained the grounds.
good experince
Military Police (Current Employee), Corunna, MIApril 22, 2015
Good experience if you deploy. if not its a lot of useless training that doesn't get you very far, until you reach a higher rank
A great way to serve
Medical Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 22, 2015
The Army National Guard is a great way to serve and give back to the community. I loved every moment of it and made some great friends along the way.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more

National Guard Salaries