National Guard
2,808 reviews

National Guard Employer Reviews

Traffic Management NCO
M-Day Part Time (Current Employee), Kinston, NCAugust 2, 2014
Pros: can go to training schools quicker than the active component.
Cons: funding, doing non job specific responsibilites
The Guard is not bad, the full-time staff does majority of the work and leaves everyone else out especially when it involves their job responsibilities. Depending on the state, you will have major funding issues especially coming back from a deployment.
Productive and Challenging Work Envioronment
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 2, 2014
Pros: 3 free meals a day and paid vacations
A typical day at work is usually dispatching and maintaining the accountability of our equipment maintenance and repair logs; making sure all equipment is up to standard due to army regulations. Along with that, maintaining the accountability of all army issue and returned standard issue. My management and co-workers are very dedicated and strive for – more... each one teach one so in worst bad scenario, the mission can still be completed. In my profession there isn't no hardest part of the job, I believe everyone has a task and that task is to complete whatever mission it is set in front of them to complete; but my most enjoyable part of my job is the travel. – less
Stress free work environment
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2014
Prepared and updated strength report of Soldier accountability, update and maintain Soldiers individual records.
Its the Army
HEALTH CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), abbevilleAugust 1, 2014
Pros: different experiences
Cons: army wackiness
Its the Army. Do what you are told and you will be good. Wake up early, PT, morning chow, go do your job. Do it over again.
Felt like a part of something bigger
Signal support system specialist 31U-10 (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: travel and some interesting stories.
Cons: no control over where you travel and a lot of boredom.
My time in the Ky Army National Guard has taken me to other states and other countries. My first two weeks Annual training was supposed to be winter training in North Dakota in February of 1991. Instead, we were activated, trained and shipped to the Persian Gulf for Operations Desert Shield and Storm. Other annual training took us to camps and forts – more... in Indiana, Mississippi, Virginia and to Forts Campbell and Knox.
Training was always interesting, with lots of information that I have sometimes been able to apply to the civilian world. There was also ample opportunity to help people when needed, such as natural disasters, or when just working things such as the Kentucky Derby or the Newport River Fest, or assisting law enforcement agencies. – less
Career Building Opportunity.
Major, Executive Officer, 108th Support Battalion (Former Employee), North Riverside, ILAugust 1, 2014
Pros: educational benefits
Cons: work life balance.
The IL ARNG provided funding for my civilian education, experience in personnel and operations management and a livelihood for twenty years.
Awesome
Military Police Officer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2014
3 deployments, tons of training, even after completing basic training. Fun people to work with, and always had room to grow.
great work
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2014
Pros: promotion and training
Cons: is hard to transfer job to the civilian
he Automated Logistical Specialist is primarily responsible for supervising and performing management or warehouse functions in order to maintain equipment records and parts.
Structured learning, advancement, and experience.
Sergeant, Fire Direction Control (Former Employee), Algona, IAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: free meals, worldly travel, professional development classes.
Cons: deployed more than expected.
Routine performance of job tasks as well as peripheral skills. Advancement opportunities, filtered; job security. Team work was essential for all activities. Management was structured with room for initiative.
Stephen Johnathan Boone
Guardsman (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 31, 2014
Establish and maintain stock records and other documents such as inventory, material control, accounting and supply reports Review and verify quantities received against bills of contracts, purchase requests and shipping documents Simplify and standardize the collection and use of maintenance data Raise the quality and accuracy of performance, cost – more... and parts data through improved maintenance management, Keep accurate records
Receive and stock bulk and package products Issue and dispense bulk fuels and water from storage and distribution facilities to using units Select and submit samples to laboratory for testing Perform petroleum and water accounting duties Operate equipment used with petroleum and water distribution system and multi-product pipeline , – less
Outstanding company.
Automated Logistical Specialist/ Squad Leader (Current Employee), Camp Bullis Texas.July 31, 2014
Pros: healthcare, tuition reimbursement, new experiences, networking
A typical day of my weekend drill, is not typical at all. I can do everything from drivers training, to qualifying with the weapon to jump out a plane. The people make it easy and outstanding, motivated soldiers from all over the region.
Supply Technican
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2014
Pros: just be consistant
Cons: dedicated service
Acquisition governmental hardware, working along with service
members.
Good job but only temporary
Squad Leader (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good teamwork
Cons: temporary
I have learned a lot as a soldier but this job is only for a few months. I am looking for a more secure job that i can look forward to going to everyday.
good place to start a carrer
Enlisted Soldier (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: being in the military
Cons: nothing
Great for young adults, being in the military helped me become who I am, would do it all over again if I could.
A learning and productive environment that's full of opportunity.
Metal Worker (Current Employee), Jackson,MSJuly 29, 2014
Pros: co-workers, free food, pay
A work day varies from different duties which consist of motor maintenance, welding, cleaning, kitchen duties, to anything that need to be accomplish for that day. I learned to work as a team and improvise in situations. Organize and good management is a lifestyle the National Guard live by. Co-workers and myself are always motivated and make the best – more... out of a work day. There weren't any hardships to face while working and everything from the people to the work was enjoyable. – less
GREAT
Team Leader (Former Employee), fort wayne indianaJuly 29, 2014
being in the military was the best thing that ever happened to me. the experience i gained has helped me with tons of obstacles i have had to overcome
the lessons and experience the guard as gave me is one of a kind
Non-commissioned officer (Current Employee), Springfield, OHJuly 29, 2014
A typical day in my current job is doing inventory checks, writing job orders, assigning job to my team, doing data entry.
enjoyable time
92A Automated Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 29, 2014
made many new friends there. enjoyed my job here. loved getting away for the weekend, wish I could have stayed. glad I got out when I did. loved my unit, especially the people there. so many great smiling faces to see once a month and two weeks in the summer.
Promotion from within
Analyst (Current Employee), Marietta, GAJuly 28, 2014
While the organization is replete with the frustrating bureaucratic tendencies of any governmental agency, there exist many opportunities for advancement from within.
Best way a man can support his family and country.
Military Police (Current Employee), Crystal River, FloridaJuly 28, 2014
Pros: experience.
Cons: n/a
I learned discipline, honor, respect, pride, and I served two tours overseas defending our freedom.

About National Guard

The National Guard serves both state and federal governments. The difference between the Guard and other branches is that while – Read more