National Gypsum Company Employee Reviews

Quick paced work enviorment
CUSTOMER ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 31, 2017
Working as a customer account specialist was like working at a call center consistently taking phone calls. Following through with all the orders you take.
Short term disability is nice benifit
Wet end operator (Current Employee) –  Shoals, INOctober 16, 2017
Swing shift not good for family union dues were to high management was difficult to get along with drive was to far away for the type of jib and never no from week to week what the schedule is going to be
Pros
Short term disability
Cons
No schedule
Great environment, Family Oriented, Great training!
Field Sales/ Customer Service Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 9, 2017
National Gypsum was a great company to work for. They have great training and room for advancement. It is a family oriented company that cares about its employees and the moral in the work environment. I learned a lot as this was my first job out of college. I made lots of friends there and some have retired since. Sometimes the customer service center was high paced due to the supply and demand of materials but there was always help from others and management if you needed it.
Work here if you hate your life
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 28, 2017
Lack of diversity,alot of hours,will never be home, company rarely hired African Americans smh,have to be a yes man, hazardous materials,work here if you hate your life.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Every thing
Family Oriented
Customer Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 7, 2017
The construction industry is an old school business. Technology running the company is changing. Products are world-class. Not a lot of opportunity for growth. Pay and benefits are fair.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Teathered to the phone; not a lot of room for growth
National Gypsum is a great company to work for
Regional Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 6, 2017
As a controls engineer at National Gypsum, I was able to design and implement controls solutions for all the manufacturing plants. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job. This was learning new technologies and installing them to work properly.
Pros
Ability to learn new technologies
Cons
Travel
Good place to make money
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJune 13, 2017
Ok place to work. Good at providing overtime hours when production is down. 12 hour days are the toughest part about the job. Very high turnover due to demands of the job.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
hours
Productive Place to work
Senior Cost Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJune 13, 2017
I was overworked and under appreciated. I was in charge of Payroll, expense reports, answering phones, most enjoyable part was talking to the employees on the boardline
Pros
Did not have to dress up
Cons
Management Hr Department
A lot of hours to work and it pays good .
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAMay 11, 2017
A typical day at work here can be made up of fixing tape , wedging out board , and doing changeovers working 12 hours a day . I learned how to be detailed at my job .
Very great place to work.
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2017
I have worked at the PEG shop for national gypsum for about 3 years and I can say it would be very hard to top this job. The benefits are amazing and the starting pay is great! They work very well to teach you everything you need to know and train you well. The overall management of National Gypsum is amazing and the poeple there are great. Always havw been treated fairly and in general it is a great place to work.
Management doesn't have a clue
Wet End trainee (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILMarch 2, 2017
Training is poor. If you work the 8hr shift you might not get 40hrs per week. Hostel work environment. Mangers will do work on the floor instead of teaching the employees how. They have no work procedures.No forklift driving training they only show you a video.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Safety and management
Great place to work, fast paced and very safe environment. Strong Quality Culture.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 28, 2017
National Gypsum is a great place to work. The administration and staff members are very friendly, helpful and supportive. Great opportunities for employee development. Great salary. They are very organized and manufacture high quality products and take the employee safety as a high priority. They are great at customers and employees appreciation.
Cut hours/not enough pay
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NJSeptember 15, 2016
We go from working 7 days a week with a lot of overtime to working 5 days a week with no overtime at all! Company doesn't care if your hurting for money. If your making hourly than it effects you but management that's making salary it doesn't effect them if we only running 5 days a week! Don't care about their employees. They try to save as much money as possible but don't care if their employees need more hours/money. A lot of guys looking for new jobs because of hours getting cut.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Rotating shifts
The place is a joke.
Supply Operator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHSeptember 11, 2016
Got hired, started in April and by the end of my 90 days I was about to catch up to the rest of the guys in overtime because I was constantly forced over. The training is non existent. They give you a week and expect you to know everything. Management is a joke. Got terminated because I got injured due to not being trained properly, mind you this was my first factory job.
Pros
Breaks, decent pay
Cons
Management, Insufficient training, Crazy hours
Good.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 18, 2016
Descent place to work.But dirty,loud,etc.Plant has been around a while so needs much needed improvement.Great location.needs more training for plant safety/production/quality etc.
Pros
Benefits.Some OT
Cons
no training. Safety. uniforms not provided.
great job.
lead man (Former Employee) –  Commerce Street Tampa Florida ( port tampa )December 29, 2015
back in 1986 after leaving a job that closed down, I was very lucky to find a job near home with good pay and benefits. I statred from the bottom and worked my way up the later. However due to the plant closing down in 2008, it has been hard to find a good stable company to work for. Most of the jobs closed down or were only temp jobs, of which I found though unemployment.
Pros
non
Cons
Good pay/ good management/ good benefits. opportunity to seek and learn.
Good Private Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 22, 2015
Company has plenty of room for movement, opportunities are present if you are willing to relocate. Divisional lines sometimes make operating effectively difficult.
Pros
great when the indusrty is up
Cons
housing market impacts the whole
meet a lot of good people
production worker (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHJuly 2, 2015
I learned how to do a lot of new jobs,I can drive a dump truck now. I can run a D8 dozer,a fork truck.I can load and unload semi trucks.
Pros
working with other people
Cons
short breaks and no management.
Excellent overall company. Very good to their employees
Territory Manager - Certfied Presenter AIA - CE (Former Employee) –  N. California, Bay Area, SacramentoFebruary 12, 2014
Team work at all levels with this company. I learned all aspects of the industry. Contractors, suppliers, mass merchandizing, architects, trade shows, it was challenging everyday. It taught me to never get complacent in my travels.
drywall manufacturing is labor intensive, dirty and dusty environment with on the job training good pay/benefits
Wet-End Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDJune 7, 2013
good job when line is continually running but very messy and labor intensive when line shuts down but it goes with the territory of making drywall; management and employees work well together;union shop-but not much involvement; swing-shift operations; dirty and dusty environment to work in; No Breaks-eat while you work; job itself not hard but involves some heaving lifting; up and down flights of stairs depending on specific position. job not difficult to learn
Pros
good pay/benefits, good employee/management relationship
Cons
messy/dusty environment; No breaks-eat while you work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Gypsum Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7