National Heritage Academies

National Heritage Academies Employee Reviews

Initially liked working here
Resource Room Teacher (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 13, 2016
In the end, my principal did not appreciate that I refused to bend the law to fit what she wanted to do. I told the team that I would do my job the correct way, that I had done my job the correct way, and that I'd continue to do so. It was unwelcome and I was told that I was trying to undermined her authority by doing was the school had already agreed it would do for the student.
Pros
Things get done quickly
Cons
You're constantly told you can quit at any time.
I would not work here.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burton, MINovember 10, 2016
This isn't a school. It's a business. They don't care how many teachers they lose, as long as students stay enrolled. Lack of professionalism and consistency among issues such as discipline and expectations. Favoritism among students and staff. I wouldn't suggest anyone to work for this "company". The teachers there are only there for the insurance, the paycheck or because it's close to home.
Moral focus?
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 1, 2016
Working with the kids was wonderful.

Working with the staff was not so good. Most were not very friendly. There was a lot of personal, non-school activities taking place that I was trying to separate myself from being apart of.

I learned that even though you report something to management it really did not matter. Of times they would take the information and look the other way.
Pros
Moral focus school (the year started off great)
Cons
Lack of care for students and staff. Not a very professional environment.
Stealing the Joy out of Learning
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 26, 2016
A typical day consists of students sitting passively and listening. This is not the fault of the teaching staff, but the mandate from administration. Students frequently have difficulty with this passive learning so there are frequent discipline problems. Teacher turnover is extremely high (80%) because of these ongoing issues.
Pros
Teachers who follow the expectations get to remain employed.
Cons
Because the expectations administration places on teachers are always changing, it is difficult to manage.
love the kids there
Head girls volleyball coach (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Long term sub for 7th grade ELA and 8th grade Math
making lesson plans
coaching girls volleyball.
I really enjoyed coaching and subbing at the school
Pros
got to spend time with my children
Cons
lack of administration of dean
Great work enviornment. Family Oriented.
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIAugust 10, 2016
While being an employee for NHA it has been taught me a lot about good work ethic and teamwork. I appreciate the employees I work with and they are very understanding.
Pros
Great enviornment, positive, and family oriented
Cons
Not enough hours for part time workers
lunch aide
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 8, 2016
A typical day at work would require me to serve lunch to K-1 grade lunch in their classroom, then clean up. From there I would go to the gym help set up tables for lunch, then begin to help serve.
National Heritage is a good company to work for.
English Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 8, 2016
National Heritage Academies is a good company to work for. It helped develop me as an educator and continues to motivate me to be the best educator I can be.
Pros
bonuses are great
Cons
school leadership relationship is inconsistent
Great place to work as a beginning teacher
Stud/Fam Liaison/Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 16, 2016
This is a great place to work for new and upcoming teachers. You get a great experience and are able to build knowledge and improve upon the craft as a teacher. There are advancement opportunities within the company.
Pros
Advance opportunities
Cons
Compensation is not comparable to other districts within same vicinity
Good Intentions
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 11, 2016
I was a substitute teacher and the Service Center did not do a great job management wise. My paychecks would be short time to time and they needed me to do work in the schools that I wasn't necessarily qualified to do. Of course, I was not able to be compensated accordingly as a result.
Professional Team Environment
Substitute Teacher, PESG, Taylor Schools, TSS (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 8, 2016
A typical day at work, arriving early, greeting team, reviewing lesson plans, setting the atmosphere of safety and fun learning in the classroom.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of Summer Job Opportunities
Terrible Place to Work
Paraprofessional/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 9, 2016
This is a terrible place to work, the staff discriminate, they are not fair by no means, and they will not tell you everything before assigning the task. They make changes without properly informing the parties, and they short your pay checks often.
Pros
No Pros
New Teacher
Paramount Charter Academy (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 29, 2016
As a new teacher National Heritage Academies provides opportunities to grow in the craft of teaching. They provide plenty of professional development and allow teachers to move into leadership positions.
Pros
Great Benefits! Great leadership!
Staff can be great.
Guest Teacher Kindergarten (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 25, 2016
It is nice going in to a school and finding a supportive admin. Parnts can be a little off. This is in a urban area.I can not wait to be hired full time if possible.
Great professional development provided
Dean of Students (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 11, 2016
NHA provides great job training and PD to staff members. Be prepared to work very hard. NHA puts many demands on their employees, however, it is centered in what is best for students. Its not for everyone. Pay does not match with work load expectations.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
High demands, many changes throughout company
A company that is growing in the field of education...
Director of School Quality (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 19, 2016
NHA is a company that is growing in the field of education. They have some very good practices and many teachers and students will benefit from having NHA experience.
Great Company to work for, productive/ creative work environment
Student Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 23, 2015
Management is supportive, and willing to invest in their employees to see them grow within the company. This organization offers many opportunities for lateral growth.
Growing Company who Believes in Education
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 11, 2015
National Heritage Academies is a purposeful company who seeks to efficiently use resources in order to challenge each child to achieve.

Though there are benefits to working for such a large company, much is left up to the individual school where you work.
Pros
Stable company that believes in its mission
Cons
Lack of paid planning time or breaks, no specific number of "sick" or "vacation" days
Overly stressful with very high turnover
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 11, 2015
I know too many people, myself included, who were bullied and stressed by this job. I have worked in urban education my entire career. I know the urgency these students face, but I worked with administrators who personally offended me, would not share documents concerning my professional practice, gave inconsistent feedback, and punished me for doing the inane things I was told to do.
The high turnover rate in my position alone should be enough of a warning for anyone considering working with this company.
Under new management
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 9, 2015
This specific school has since come under new management, so I can't speak of the job culture currently. My co-workers were wonderful. At the time, the turn over rate was very high. Each year more than half of the grade level teams were new hires. Teachers didn't have much planning time. Children ate lunch in the classrooms with the teacher everyday. Dismissal was called over the PA system everyday throughout all the classes starting with 8th grade dismissal. This made the last hour of the school day wasted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Heritage Academies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9