National Heritage Academies Employee Reviews

fun environment, lots of perks
Office Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 28, 2017
Always surrounded by upbeat people. There is always something to be done. Never a dull day. I even go outside of my department and I am able to help out with other departments, various projects.
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
expensive healthcare for part-time
Regrading working their
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCDecember 19, 2017
I really enjoyed working their, only bad things is there was no benefits, or job advancement. It was who you knew instead of what you knew. Overall it was/and is a great experience.
After School Tutoring program
Math Tutor and Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed the 2 year after school tutoring program they provided. In addition, I was able to substitute teach on occasion. National Heritage is a great place to work.
Strong culture of 'people first'
Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2017
NHA does a wonderful job of caring for its employees. The organization has numerous support structures in place. There is always someone to reach out to for help.
Fast paced, casual, urban atmosphere, data driven
Paraprofessional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 28, 2017
I learned to be adaptable

I mostly enjoyed the perks the staff received at different times of the school year

the hardest part of any position is finding a balance between work and personal life

I learned that part time/full time non-exempt staff do not get paid when the school closes because of weather, building issues, etc.

I feel that my direct manager was responsive to my needs, and flexible and for the most part fair. I wish all the deans were fair with the staff.

I strongly feel that discipline was not consistent or could have been handled better.

I felt safe there.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
wage
enjoyable place to work
Summer Paraprofessional at Hamtramck (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 28, 2017
Enjoyed my time there. Staff were very supportive and helpful. learned a lot while there, would go back if called.Management was was also supportive .
A place to work at my kids school
Parent Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Mount Morris, MISeptember 13, 2017
I accepted this position when my children started going to this school. I acted as a go between the parents and teachers during many conflicts. I traveled to many sites recruiting new students to our school.
Pros
Working near my children
Cons
conflicts
No support
Special Education Parapro (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MISeptember 6, 2017
The kids need to be managed better. The staff is great but they don't really get much support with student behaviors or discipline. They tend to let the students run the school which wears on very good teachers.
Competitive College preparatory
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 31, 2017
The teachers at Greensboro Academy are dedicated and very student focused. In general, it is a supportive environment to work in where parents are engaged in their child's education. Some support positions are not adequately staffed.
Pros
Students, teachers and parents are focused and engaged in education
Cons
Non-competitive salaries
Very productive place to work
Manager of School Culture (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 30, 2017
Very nice organization to work for. Very competitive with city and county schools. NHA has over 70 schools all over the country. Very supportive principal.
Fast paced!
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 30, 2017
Typical day is fast paced going from room to room between MS ELA and Math
I learn about students abilities and struggles
Management is hands off and very supportive
Work place culture is awesome very diverse workforce
Hardest part of job is getting paid for what I do!
Most enjoyable is the kids and coworkers
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay
good place to work
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 22, 2017
I really enjoy the atmosphere. They recruit young talent. They have a lot of fun events. Founder cares about his employees. They work with college class schedules as well.
Typical Day
Math Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 21, 2017
Assisting students with building on their math foundation.
Using differential lesson plans for students.
The most difficult part of the position may be student dealing with student behaviors.
Overall Good Place to Work
Student Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 21, 2017
NHA overall is a great place to work. You have the opportunity to create your own schedule, plan a lot of different marketing and recruiting events, and work with both faculty, parents, and students.

In recent months the company has not been as accepting prior, making more demands that stifle personal expression.
Hostile Environment
TALENT ACQUISITION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 20, 2017
Each of the team members were given different expectation, we would look to each other for advice and would get scolded for small things. Management played favorites and will hold one mistake over your head for a year. they promise advancement, but most jobs are dead ends.
Fun place to work with a great mission
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rockford, MIAugust 4, 2017
NHA is a fun place to work. Their mission is exemplary. They have positively impacted the lives of many children! I have felt valued as an employee throughout my time with NHA.
National Heritage Academies
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 28, 2017
Strong company that takes care of its employees. No little people, everyone counts. Professional working environment. Great benefits. Family oriented.
Very unprofessional environment/ high turn over
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 19, 2017
I have 17 years of experience teaching in 3 states in private and public schools and NHA was by far my worst experience. As a teacher, you are expected to do a ridiculous amount of work that does not enhance the success of your students. Teachers have: INADEQUATE planning time and no work/life balance. The school is run by people who in general have no formal education background, yet they feel free to criticize your teaching practices and lesson planning. So many times I was told how I would teach my class and write my lesson plans, but the directives were not consistent with best practices in education. Testing was KING in the building, not student learning. Resources were also very limited. One could argue that funds were not available to run a school effectively. Many times throughout the school year, we had no paper or toner for the copy machine, along with other basic supplies.
Pros
benefits and coworkers, my students
Cons
home/work balance, ineffective leadership, lack of resources
Very fun and energetic workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 3, 2017
A typical day's work included going into the classroom where I will be subbing, reading through lesson plan and additional material that I would need during the day, then putting the plan into action. I learned that each day was always different and that each set of students required a new plan.
Amazing company
Special Education Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 27, 2017
NHA has a mission and vision that all employees work toward. The atmosphere is team-oriented and feels like a true family. Everyone gives 100% and management does a great job recognizing employees for their efforts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Heritage Academies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9