National Income Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Never a dull moment
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYJanuary 16, 2017
Managers will always make sure you hit the ground running before sending you into the field on your own. I learned how to read people and know that "no" doesn't always mean "no". Stated another way, I learned to never let rejection get in the way of me making a paycheck. And that was the hardest part, staying positive after rejection. Most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition after you have a great week.
Pros
Compensation and bonuses are great, they give you leads to start with
Cons
strictly commission, so there are good weeks and bad weeks
hows work at national income life
Life Insurance Agent/broker (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYOctober 6, 2016
national income lie is a very hard working and ambitious work place. i learned how to talk to people over the phone, and i developed really great people skills, we have great management, and my co-workers only want the best for be and are always there to help me. the hardest part of the job is booking appointments. th best part of the job is helping peoples families.
productive work environment
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 10, 2016
i loved working here because not only do you make your own hours i get to meet new people everyday, my co workers were nice and easy to work with, the hardest pat of my job is calling people to make an appointment because not everyone understand how life insurance and not everyone believed it
Pros
i got to make my own Schedule
Cons
when ever its holidays or winter no one want life insurance
Awful place to work
never worked (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 14, 2016
I was supposed to start working for the company and found it to be shady all the way through. Went through everything in an unorthodox manner with them. I wasn't supposed to start for a few weeks but they were demanding I come in to practice the "script" they have you memorize. They feed you lines about how they are there to help families.. If that were the case would they have you read a script until you can say it in your sleep so you can unload it on to every unsuspecting union worker that's suckered in to using their service. If you're not a good salesmen (or woman) this job is perfect for you. They groom you to be a sheep all under one shepherd. They tell you you're a leader all while they're pulling the wool over your eyes and expecting you to follow. If you're interested in that then this is the right fit for you.
Pros
Not a single one
Cons
The company
Sell insurance
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2016
great place to meet and expand your portfolio

you make your own schedule

great commission payout

work autonomously

great management team
Opportunity of a lifetime for hard working individuals!!!
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYNovember 25, 2016
The work culture is very warm, energetic and you feel like you are part of a loving family, something bigger and greater than yourself. There is so much opportunity for growth here, and you get all the support anyone can ask for to be successful. Anyone who has anything negative to say is just a loser with no work ethic or values who probably didn't even make it past the second interview.. You get what you put in plus so much more. I have worked a lot of places in my career, completely different field from this from restaurant management to social work to teaching. I could in all honesty say this is a wonderful awesome place to work. We are a very diverse group of all ages, backgrounds, religions etc. but anyone who works with us will tell you we care and support each other, we welcome everyone with judgement just positive attitude and passion. We are a fierce team with lots of passion for what we do and it shows! Hands down the best opportunity that i have ever been presented with. Besides the opportunity to help protect union families and truly make a difference in their lives you also get the opportunity to challenge yourself and help develop others and grow as a team. I have grown so much as a person in just a year and i feel so lucky to have had such meaningful and priceless interactions as well as relationships with the union members we serve and others apart of our work family.
Pros
Built in base structure, bonuses, paid vacations, work culture, very high earnings, full health and life benefits, opportunity for advancement, opportunity for personal growth, weekly pay
Cons
requires some late nights and weekends
Fast paced and fun people but stressful after training ends
BENEFITS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 31, 2015
The people are fun and supportive of one another.
The management is not always handling things the same way, so training can be different depending on your manager.
The turnover rate is high. People come and go and if you do not produce, you will not stay.
Pros
Decent commission structure
Cons
NO work life balance
Amazing
NYS official Life Insurance agent (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 5, 2015
Working as a self employed agent has many perks. Especially with your paycheck. The downside to this company is that YOU have to be motivated. You have to make the effort to meet with potential clients. However making 1000$ for motivating yourself and speaking to clients a week is worth it. This job is out on the field, youre able to become a manager as soon as you understand your position. The hardest part is scheduling appointments. I enjoyed meeting up with the potential clients
Unlimited earning potential in the best work place ever!
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 26, 2014
I have been with NILICO for over a year now and I love it. It is the best career choice I have ever made! The support system, training, education, and pay is phenomenal! Here in Upstate New York we have the best guidance, management, and leadership in the entire country.

If someone is willing to work hard for a year, give it all they have, at the end of that year they will be more successful than they ever could imagine!
Pros
Great leadership, training, and pay
Cons
NONE
All lies/ Because
sales (Former Employee) –  flushingAugust 28, 2014
When they say they have leads, only partly true as after initial ones given to you, you must get referrals [ these are hard and hit or miss]!
Your managers will secretly filter leads and he/she will TAKE many to sell for themselves to make most money. Then the rest they will give out to hardest workers and top sellers. Feeding a scant few to new hires. This business model / operation process is so old [ like a dinosaur]and the EXACT REASON why it is a revolving door.
Since you are selling such a low premium policy to working families making what they say is not realistic. You will be there for a manager to make most money.
Signed Knowledgeable,
Experienced insurance expert!!!
STAY AWAY
Pros
they sell a good dream/ lie
Cons
its a night mare waiting for you
Can make a good income, not for everybody
Manager (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYMarch 11, 2012
A highly motivated sales force that provides supplemental benefits to union members and working class families. A very competitive industry. Compensation is 90 percent incentive based meaning commission. The company provides leads but includes cold calling them to set up appointments. Very busy work schedule, where you are either booking appointments, working on presentation, or out in the field visiting homes.
Pros
good potential income
Cons
long hours, inflexible schedule, requires license
Entreprenurial Insurance Sales Position
Life and Accident Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 4, 2012
Was detrimental in my understanding of the consumer and the marketing of the product. Required astute attention to detail. Anything erroneous could never be overlooked as it would impede the successful completion and documentation of the service. Was almost the hardest thing I have ever done but I have become a more well-rounded professional because of it. Interacted, marketed and advised various people in differing backgrounds.
Pros
entrepreneurial atmosphere and mentality
Cons
no health, dental, etc. benefits
Difficult to have family life and work life at NILICO together.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 18, 2012
Not a bad place to work if you are a single person with no or little desire to have a life outside of work. Prepare yourself for all of the hard work they tell you about plus more. Lots of travel time and the area you get may be hours away from where you live! Not good for the gas you'll be putting in the tank or mileage you will be putting on your own car. Bleh.
Pros
opportunity for lots of $$$
Cons
opportunity for zero $$ and still have filled your gas tank and driven hundreds of miles.
Don't work for this company
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Albany nyOctober 7, 2013
This job was a joke. When you start off you spend way too much unnecessary money just to work. I was hired in August and didn't receive my first paycheck until sept 30, being that it was only 100 dollars I quit. The next week I was supposed to receive 700 for the business I had written before quitting and I only received half of what I was supposed to. During the interview process they give you misleading information. I would not recommend working for this company
never a dull moment
Supervising Agent (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 4, 2012
A typical day at work is a job like in any other office, you have to wear many different hats. I learned that i can multi task very well. Manaagement was lacking with guidance. Co-workere\s were great. The hardest part of the job was traveling hours to meet a potential client and the client not showing up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in the office, training people and doing interviews.
Pros
once a week free lunch
Cons
long hours and no benefits
Great money, Fun place to work
Benefits coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 16, 2014
I enjoyed working here...definite room for advancement and growth. plenty of help from training managers and supervisors. Great level of pay/time at work. Pretty easy to do the job when the clients want what we have to show them 9/10 times....Also union benefits and retirement is a plus. only REAson I left was i got hurt in a car accident and didn't want a full time job anymore. wish I was still there
Pros
benefits, income
Cons
long hrs to start
Great opportunity for hard worker
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYApril 21, 2015
This job obviously has it's ups and downs, like any other job, but for those who are willing to work hard and sacrifice up front, the end result is unlike any other career out there. The best part is, you're helping families and can feel good doing it.
Pros
excellent compensation
Cons
work-life balance
Had the potential to be a fun environment
Supervisory Agent (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYOctober 17, 2012
I am a dedicated and hard worker but at National Income, I was able to find no time to spend with my family because it was expected to work 7 days a week at least 4-6 hours on saturday and sundays.

I did learn a great deal about mental toughness and I was able to sharpen my management and communication skills through my Supervisory Agent position.
High Support for Producers
Supervising Agent (Former Employee) –  New York NYNovember 21, 2014
Show up at 8am sit through a meeting complete and submit life insurance claims, train new agents on products and sales techniques. Call prospective clients and book appointments and visiting prospective clients and selling them life insurance policies.

I learned a lot of different sales techniques and things about people from different cultures.

Management was very supportive while you were making sales but if your production declined then the support went with it.

Very supportive co workers always willing to help.

Working 60 hours a week and not making money because i didn't make a sale.

Achieving goals, managing and teaching a sales team. Helping people.
Pros
Being an independant contractor allows you to make your own schedule
Cons
if you dont sell anything you dont make anything no matter how many hours you worked.
Not to be Trusted!
Licensed Insurance Agent and Representative (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYSeptember 16, 2013
This company is misleading and unprofessional. NILICO has many different offices and I can only speak for one of them when I say that they are unprofessional and extremely misleading during the interview. They made the company appear different then it in fact it actually was. There was an issue with my superior and the company did nothing to resolve the issue and then they reprimanded me for trying to get the situation rectified by speaking with our S.G.A. The M.G.A. for the office where I worked has sworn at me and has spoken to me in an incredibly insulting and unprofessional way. All of their employees are independent contractors yet they make everyone follow a strict schedule which is around 50 hours a week and the job is completely commission. I would not recommend working for this company.
Cons
no gas reimbursement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Income Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4