National Income Life Insurance Company

National Income Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Amazing
NYS official Life Insurance agent (Current Employee), Queens, NYMarch 5, 2015
Working as a self employed agent has many perks. Especially with your paycheck. The downside to this company is that YOU have to be motivated. You have to make the effort to meet with potential clients. However making 1000$ for motivating yourself and speaking to clients a week is worth it. This job is out on the field, youre able to become a manager as soon as you understand your position. The hardest part is scheduling appointments. I enjoyed meeting up with the potential clients
High Support for Producers
Supervising Agent (Former Employee), New York NYNovember 21, 2014
Pros: being an independant contractor allows you to make your own schedule
Cons: if you dont sell anything you dont make anything no matter how many hours you worked.
Show up at 8am sit through a meeting complete and submit life insurance claims, train new agents on products and sales techniques. Call prospective clients and book appointments and visiting prospective clients and selling them life insurance policies.

I learned a lot of different sales techniques and things about people from different cultures.

Management was very supportive while you were making sales but if your production declined then the support went with it.

Very supportive co workers always willing to help.

Working 60 hours a week and not making money because i didn't make a sale.

Achieving goals, managing and teaching a sales team. Helping people.
Lot's of advancement room if willing and able.
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYNovember 21, 2014
Pros: extreme potential for advancement
Cons: long nights
This company has great potential if you are a hard worker and enjoy working nights. Most of their business is done in the evenings and hardly any cold calling is involved. The management staff there is full of expertise and always helpful.
Unlimited earning potential in the best work place ever!
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: great leadership, training, and pay
I have been with NILICO for over a year now and I love it. It is the best career choice I have ever made! The support system, training, education, and pay is phenomenal! Here in Upstate New York we have the best guidance, management, and leadership in the entire country.

If someone is willing to work hard for a year, give it all they have, at the end of that year they will be more successful than they ever could imagine!
Negative enviorment
Licensed Insurance Salesman (Former Employee), Flushing, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Well compensated however very costly to begin employment. very life consuming to maintain employment. Selfish management.
All lies/ Because
sales (Former Employee), flushingAugust 28, 2014
Pros: they sell a good dream/ lie
Cons: its a night mare waiting for you
When they say they have leads, only partly true as after initial ones given to you, you must get referrals [ these are hard and hit or miss]!
Your managers will secretly filter leads and he/she will TAKE many to sell for themselves to make most money. Then the rest they will give out to hardest workers and top sellers. Feeding a scant few to new hires. This business model / operation process is so old [ like a dinosaur]and the EXACT REASON why it is a revolving door.
Since you are selling such a low premium policy to working families making what they say is not realistic. You will be there for a manager to make most money.
Signed Knowledgeable,
Experienced insurance expert!!!
STAY AWAY
Great support and earnings potential
General Manager (GA) (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: high income
Cons: pure commision, no flexibility
Great support and training systems. I learned a lot about sales and managing sales agents while at Nilico.
enjoyable
Insurance agent (Former Employee), NYJuly 22, 2014
great place to loved my time, my coworker was very helpful the part os the job i love the most was the pay and me new people everyday i would have to say the hardest part of the job is the traveling.
Absolutely life consuming yet life setting job
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee), 30-50 Whitestone Expwy Flushing, NYJune 25, 2014
It makes me sound like a jerk to say I quit a job because it was too hard, but I either made so much money in one week or I made absolutely nothing. Need more guaranteed income.
Great money, Fun place to work
Benefits coordinator (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYMarch 16, 2014
Pros: benefits, income
Cons: long hrs to start
I enjoyed working here...definite room for advancement and growth. plenty of help from training managers and supervisors. Great level of pay/time at work. Pretty easy to do the job when the clients want what we have to show them 9/10 times....Also union benefits and retirement is a plus. only REAson I left was i got hurt in a car accident and didn't want a full time job anymore. wish I was still there
Awesome place to work
Supervison Agent (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYMarch 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits, retirement, compensation, work environment, advancement
Cons: long hours in the training period
I've been an agent for National income (nilico) for about 6 months now and I really love it. I was promoted in 6 weeks as I was told by the recruiter. I think his name was Matt, or Mike. I now have 3 reps on my team that are all also doing well and loving it here. The money is great and the benefits are even better. I've never been a member of a union prior to working here, but I must say there are perks. The health insurance is comprehensive with no deductible and very little co pays for my family and I. As far as the actual job goes...It's fun, competitive, fast paced, a job you actually look forward to. It feels nice to be able to help fellow union members with their benefits. I actually look forward to coming into the office as opposed to any other job I've ever had.

The reason I'm writing this review was that I saw a lot of negative reviews on this site about Nilico and the recruiter reassured me that there was little truth to them so I went to the interview anyway. I'm glad I did because it is NOTHING like the reviews people have made. I honestly think it is other companies trying to bash us because they cant compete and want potential employees to work for them. I will say this, you have to work hard at first. But once you get the hang of the job its really quite simple. If you're reading this chances are you've gotten a call or email from us. I'd suggest coming in for an interview and not buying into someone else's negative opinion of the company. Thanks for reading!!
Cool
Human Resources Recruiter (Former Employee), Flushing, NYFebruary 18, 2014
Working for this company was definitely an experience but it wasn't a bad one! My supervisors were very understanding!!
Great opportunity for income and advancement
Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: advancement, high income, great training, etc
Cons: hard work early on but worth it 100% to master the business
I was contacted 3 years ago about a management position with this company and I had read some negative reviews. Good thing I didn't believe what I read and came in anyway. I figured, what have I got to lose. What I found was an honest company with great opportunities. I was looking for something with advancement opportunities and growth to better my financial situation and that's exactly what I found. Since I have been here, I have been promoted to three levels of management where I now lead a team of 2 managers and 13 agents. We provide working class families with supplemental benefits to fill in the gaps of their current benefit packages through their employer. I have never made a cold call, door to door sale, or been pushy whatsoever, which is hard to find in this industry. The unions and our company really do take all the dirty work out of sales. The clients we meet with are not only very willing to meet with us, most are ready to enroll because of word of mouth from co workers or friends/family that are already enrolled. If you're looking for an honest profession, helping people with outstanding advancement opportunities, I highly suggest coming in for an interview.
Highly competitive, team oriented work environment
SALES AGENT (Former Employee), Flushing, NYJanuary 31, 2014
A typical day of work consists of collecting referrals, setting appointments on the spot or in the office, sitting down with clients as an educator of sorts, and providing protection for their families.

I've learned the value of protecting families by knowing how effective our products were, in comparison to our competitors, in helping our clients maintain a sense of security and keeping wealth in their family. Most of all, building rapport with the families was all too essential in making the sale. Being well-versed and likable allowed me to ensure surpassing weekly quotas, placing me in the circle of top producers of the company.

After working with National Income I've gotten much experience as a team leader, helping to motivate other sales agents in guerrilla referral gathering, how to build a strong rapport with families and how to expand our realm of influence and clientele by hosting events and meetings with community leaders. The hardest part about the job was our underwriting process and approval for our clients applications. Service work would often come to unravel previous accomplishments and diminish future paychecks. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was making future appointments with my clients' referrals after successfully protecting their family. They knew that they were recommending an expert to their loved ones who can help put their finances in order, and it was my pleasure!
its on my resume
General Sales Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
It's a company I worked at right out of college

Easy laid back work enviroment
Don't work for this company
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Albany nyOctober 7, 2013
This job was a joke. When you start off you spend way too much unnecessary money just to work. I was hired in August and didn't receive my first paycheck until sept 30, being that it was only 100 dollars I quit. The next week I was supposed to receive 700 for the business I had written before quitting and I only received half of what I was supposed to. During the interview process they give you misleading information. I would not recommend working for this company
Not to be Trusted!
Licensed Insurance Agent and Representative (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYSeptember 16, 2013
Cons: no gas reimbursement
This company is misleading and unprofessional. NILICO has many different offices and I can only speak for one of them when I say that they are unprofessional and extremely misleading during the interview. They made the company appear different then it in fact it actually was. There was an issue with my superior and the company did nothing to resolve the issue and then they reprimanded me for trying to get the situation rectified by speaking with our S.G.A. The M.G.A. for the office where I worked has sworn at me and has spoken to me in an incredibly insulting and unprofessional way. All of their employees are independent contractors yet they make everyone follow a strict schedule which is around 50 hours a week and the job is completely commission. I would not recommend working for this company.
if your work very very hard youll make lots of money
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Flushing, NYJune 3, 2013
Pros: bonus checks if theres a sale
Cons: outside all day, never any personal time
you have to have no life and a winning personality. people buy you not the product. but you also have to hope the people you see are rich enough to afford it and have rich friends.
Very busy work environment, Competitive because full commission compensation, Time consumption can be unbearable for some, Sales is not for everyone
Benefit Representative/Agent (Former Employee), Flushing, NYMarch 27, 2013
Pros: schedule own appointments, usually supportive managment, numerous co-workers to know who are supportive
Cons: individuals canceling appoints and ruining the rest of a given schedule, dealing with customers who are sometimes skeptical or unwilling to meet, very long hours seven days a week to maximize profit, full commission-you are an agent not an employee so no benefits are given until mvoed to managment
As a Benefit Representative for National Income Life Insurance Company a typical day begins when the first appointment with a client and their is scheduled, it ends at the conclusion of the last scheduled appointment of your choice. Although there are at least two designated "phone nights" per week depending on the practices of your office in which all agents are to come in and make as many phone calls as possible in order to book a desirable weekly schedule in which each day has at least five appointments. Though there are no specific quotas to reach your direct manger will expect a certain amount of sales results, depending on the personality of your manager they be very supportive if your having a tough time or take a hands off approach. It is a job one can be garner financial gains from but it takes substantial time being put in and NILICO essentially becomes an agents career, because of the time needed to make phone calls and to visit the numerous potential clients homes.

The niche market NILICO works with are union members and their families, these are the people in your initial lead packet, though after this initial pack most leads come from the references you MUST gather visiting union leads. If you fail or are not great at gathering references to discuss NILICO insurance benefits with you will run out of potential customers and have a very short career.

Overall most of managment is supportive because their success is hinged upon your success yet it is sometimes disingenuine because they are not always understandble of the tribulations which stem from a sales based – more... commission only job. Though after your initial training your direct manager may leave you out to simply succeed on your own instead of consistently guiding you, this experience truly depends on the manager you are given.

The hardest part of the job is a combination of booking appointments, dealing with the skepticism of some people over the phone, and of course people cancelling their scheduled appointments with you at the drop of a hat.

The most enjoyable part is likely the comradry between some agents (like any other office space you will find those you identify with more than others), and of course completing a sale and meeting a grateful family. Though with the success of a sale comes the inevitable paperwork that must be completed timely and in the office in order to ensure the sale is official and you are paid (managment assist new agents with all paperwork on sales).

In the end I learned the ability to time manage, build relationships quickly with clients as well as co-workers to ensure success in the fast paced world of insurance sales. Sales, especially insurance is not for everyone but it can turn into a lucrative career if one is able to stomach the sometimes bumpy initial ride. NILICO has a very high turnover wait in terms of employees due to the very rough path this type of job can present but there is definetly a loyal group of individuals who have found their niche. – less
A good job if you like driving a lot and living at work
Supervising Manager (Former Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: unlimited potential income, 10 year retirement plan with lifetime renewals, potential for advancement, responsible for your own outcome
Cons: long hours and no time for a social life, treated like an employee instead of an independent contractor, drive hundreds of miles a week, leads begin to dry up, a lot of conservation and incomplete applications to deal with
First and foremost, you can, and if you work, you will, make money with this company. Potentially a lot of money. Furthermore, the opportunity if you make it to running your own office is a quarter to half a million dollar position. But it is no where near easy to get to.

The job is selling whole life insurance in the form of funeral protection, term life in the form of income protection and accident insurance. The "niche" is that they team up with Unions and other large associations and send direct mailings to their members with the guise of a "free $4,000 AD&D benefit" with fine print at the bottom of the letter informing of other benefits available. So for the 2.5% of members who send their response cards back, are under the impression that's all they're getting. Until you call them (and if they don't answer you call them dozens of times a week) tell them in order for them to get their free benefit you have to go to their house to witness their signature. Then of course the bait and switch when you get there and give a 35 min scripted presentation about their death and protecting their family for an hour's pay. Also it is a one appointment close, no thinking about it for later.

As an agent you are in the office Monday and Thursday from 10 or 11 am till 9pm at night submitting paperwork, attending an agency meeting and calling to book appointments. When you run your appointments, the leads they give you are always at least an hour if not more from your house.and you're in the field Tue, Wed, and Fri from 1 or 3 til you're last appointment which starts at 9:15pm, and can – more... last until 10:30, or even later (sometimes until 11:30 or 12am) and then on Saturday from 9am until 4 or 5.

As a manager you do the same but are also in the office Monday-Fri mornings from 8am everday for recruiting and interviewing

As far as the leads go, they are great to start, they give you a pack of 65 leads and they replenish them every other Thursday. What they don't tell you is that they start at 65, then go to 40, then 30, until eventually you're only getting 10 every other week and if you don't have a shoe-box full of referrals you are basically dead in the water.
Also they don't "allow" you to run less than 6 appointments per day.
Even though this is 1099 independent contractor position, you are treated like an employee.

The only way it is worth all of these hours and everything else is if you work your tail off and make it to an MGA (run your own office) you make a matching 150% bonus of everyone's production and will make $5,000-$10,000 per week – less

National Income Life Insurance Company Salaries