National Institute of Standards and Technology Employee Reviews

We performed contract work at NIST as employees of YRCI hiring us for the positions.
Senior Acquisition Specialist (Lvl III) (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 28, 2017
Must repeat that we were not Government employees; however, I enjoyed working with the Government employees. This company was the opposite of Suntiva discussed earlier and I left YRCI to go to Suntiva. YRCI management would be the textbook of grossly poor management who provided a terrible environment for employees and manager alike. I was 1 of 11 initial employees reporting in Sep and by Mar there were two; 1 after I left in early April. During my stay our unit experienced 3 Directors and 2 Deputy Directors all quitting or fired.
Pros
That we survived as professional.
Cons
I do not have enough space to highlight the problems here.
Great work environment
Support Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 6, 2017
This is a great place to work if you have an opportunity to work here, take it! I have really enjoyed my time at NIST. I've learned a lot and have developed so many rich relationships with my co-workers.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedules available.
It was a great place to work while attending school
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 29, 2017
I worked at National Bureau of Standards straight out of high achool while attending college. worked for 50 scientist in the Gas and Particulate Science Division. I married and worked until first child was born.
Pros
Offered Advancement
Multicultural
Guest Researcher (Current Employee) –  GaithersburgAugust 10, 2017
National Institute of Standards and Technology is a good multicultural work environment.
Wonderful Place to Work
Student intern volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 7, 2017
I worked as a lab technician. A typical day at work would be coming into the lab and making samples with my coworkers and later on updating my boss on what we had accomplished. We had a lunch break and were left alone. It was the best job I've ever had, and an amazing place to work. Everyone there is so nice, and the people there are all team players, no one gets left behind. I had so much fun working there. If i could have I would have worked there forever. The management is great, they are your managers, but they still treat you like people and are easy to talk to. I learned about how to be an engineer, I learned what direction I wanted to go in college, I learned about different types of chemistry. The hardest part of the job was my last day. I loved going to work every single day.
Pros
Amazing work environment, great benefits
Cons
mediocre cafeteria food
Engaging work and positive environment
Pathways Intern (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 1, 2017
Engineering Intern at the National Fire Research Lab (NFRL)

As an intern I was given a large degree of both responsibility and autonomy. The work was engaging and hands on.
Teamwork, we all work together good
Utility Systems Repair and Operator (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 23, 2017
Great place to work. It just isn't in Minnesota. All employee groups work together to get the job done. The weather is great in Colorado, but the fishing is better in Minnesota.
Summer Internship
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 29, 2017
Job was summer internships. Incredible access to information, technology, and excellent work culture. Internship was short term but expanded experience in my career field.
Work was difficult, but very fun
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 28, 2017
Work was difficult, really confusing for an undergraduate but very worthwhile. Learned a lot about research and the methods behind good research practices.
Intellectually simulating work environment.
Guest Researcher (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 14, 2017
NIST is a place where you can really learn something new everyday. You benefit from being surrounded by so many intelligent people, and it is nice to know that these people are helpful too.

Want to know more about National Institute of Standards and Technology?

Ask a question
Good Company
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 11, 2017
Accept credit cards and debit card payments with our Clover suite of Small Business Solutions. Clover’s sleek design makes it easy for your customers to pay, sign and go.
Calibrations and Standards development
Physical Scientist/ Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 2, 2017
Government research laboratory involved in various physical sciences, measurement sciences, calibrations, standards and engineering sciences. Okay if you like working in a Government research environment or atmosphere.
Productive place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  MDMarch 23, 2017
It's a great place to build a career.
Lots of people to help you concentrate on particular research areas.
Usually foot-in-door
It's a great way to become an expert in a field mainly because you're likely to search out solutions to save the world
great people
Computer Scientist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 2, 2017
the most beautiful federal installation inside of the Washington DC area deer, soccer, fishing, walking trails all inside of the campus which is in the heart of Gaithersburg.
Secretary (ZS-III) (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 9, 2017
I have been in this company for about 15 years now, a great place to work and grow. Excellent benefits. Working with different backgrounds and nationality is a great group with diverse people.
Benefits
Cons
N/a
National lab with obscure, but vital, mission
Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 25, 2016
NIST is the nation's measurement institute. The researchers here work to improve and maintain the U.S. measurement system, develop standards and provide calibration tools that industry uses to maintain quality and to comply with regulations, provide technical guidance to standards-development organizations, and improve the state-of-the-art of measurement generally.

Like most federal agencies, NIST is a great place to work with good pay and benefits and flexible hours.

At NIST, I learned a great deal about communicating science to the public through a variety of mediums, including the production of news stories, press releases, and social media content, as well as presenting at tours and exhibitions.

My co-workers were consummate communications professionals who were passionate about NIST's mission, which they feel is vital to the U.S. as an economic and scientific leader.

The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable: Figuring out how to best tell NIST's story and relay NIST's importance to the U.S. public and the world.
Supportive and motivating atmosphere
Researcher (Current Employee) –  GaithersburgAugust 8, 2016
This is a great place to work at. I have only been postdoctoral researcher but I really feel I get the support and encouragement I need to do a good and successful job.
Ridiculously great work-life balance
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 1, 2016
Only 20% of postdocs are able to stay as termed or permanent federal government employees. The research environment is not as competitive as universities in most fields of studies. I don't recommend it to postdocs who are looking for an academic career.
good place for work/life balance
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 28, 2016
The benefit is great! good working environment that encourages professional growth. Surrounded by nice and smart people. Admins are a bit bureaucratic
Excellent place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 14, 2016
Amazing research atmosphere, You have a lot of resources to perform first class research. Smart people every where that can help you troubleshooting.