National Institute of Standards and Technology Employee Reviews

Calibrations and Standards development
Physical Scientist/ Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 2, 2017
Government research laboratory involved in various physical sciences, measurement sciences, calibrations, standards and engineering sciences. Okay if you like working in a Government research environment or atmosphere.
Productive place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  MDMarch 23, 2017
It's a great place to build a career.
Lots of people to help you concentrate on particular research areas.
Usually foot-in-door
It's a great way to become an expert in a field mainly because you're likely to search out solutions to save the world
great people
Computer Scientist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 2, 2017
the most beautiful federal installation inside of the Washington DC area deer, soccer, fishing, walking trails all inside of the campus which is in the heart of Gaithersburg.
Secretary (ZS-III) (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 9, 2017
I have been in this company for about 15 years now, a great place to work and grow. Excellent benefits. Working with different backgrounds and nationality is a great group with diverse people.
Benefits
Cons
N/A
National lab with obscure, but vital, mission
Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 25, 2016
NIST is the nation's measurement institute. The researchers here work to improve and maintain the U.S. measurement system, develop standards and provide calibration tools that industry uses to maintain quality and to comply with regulations, provide technical guidance to standards-development organizations, and improve the state-of-the-art of measurement generally.

Like most federal agencies, NIST is a great place to work with good pay and benefits and flexible hours.

At NIST, I learned a great deal about communicating science to the public through a variety of mediums, including the production of news stories, press releases, and social media content, as well as presenting at tours and exhibitions.

My co-workers were consummate communications professionals who were passionate about NIST's mission, which they feel is vital to the U.S. as an economic and scientific leader.

The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable: Figuring out how to best tell NIST's story and relay NIST's importance to the U.S. public and the world.
Supportive and motivating atmosphere
Researcher (Current Employee) –  GaithersburgAugust 8, 2016
This is a great place to work at. I have only been postdoctoral researcher but I really feel I get the support and encouragement I need to do a good and successful job.
Ridiculously great work-life balance
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 1, 2016
Only 20% of postdocs are able to stay as termed or permanent federal government employees. The research environment is not as competitive as universities in most fields of studies. I don't recommend it to postdocs who are looking for an academic career.
good place for work/life balance
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 28, 2016
The benefit is great! good working environment that encourages professional growth. Surrounded by nice and smart people. Admins are a bit bureaucratic
Excellent place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 14, 2016
Amazing research atmosphere, You have a lot of resources to perform first class research. Smart people every where that can help you troubleshooting.
It is fun and enjoyable, and the research environment is very good
Research Associate, Systems Integration Division (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 22, 2016
NIST provides the flexible working environment. Researchers at NIST are very friendly. I met many good people, and they are very supportive.
Work environment with experts behind every door
Engineering Technician II (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 1, 2016
There are literally experts behind every door willing and able to help you accomplish your goals and tasks. Your day typically starts with a morning chat with your colleagues while you check your email. Then the work day begins. You can take lunch at your leisure which is very nice.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
Paperwork
A great place to work if you are obsessed with the details of science
Guest Researcher (Former Employee) –  GaithersburgOctober 10, 2015
Surprising amount of productivity and stress for a government job. They work on fairly arcane issues, typically involved in physical sciences. One of the few remaining physical science research institutes in the USA. The work is a dream, but it is difficult and most there are very obsessed with their jpob
Pros
Lots of support, state of art analysis facilities
Cons
You really need to be very focussed on your work constantly
Very work friendly environment
IT Specialist (Security) (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDOctober 3, 2015
I work full time at this job, I learned not only IT security policy but know how to fix the vulnerability within web application and networking.
Pros
flexible work schdule
Research Campus
Safety Technician (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 25, 2015
Basic Government ran campus. Some nice people here, some not. Red tape hindering progress. Safety is on the back burner as in most places.
Pros
Training, more safety training then you will ever need.
Cons
No "By-In" for staff
Nice working environment with talented people
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 23, 2015
Co-workers are nice and friendly. It is a well-known national institute. But you have to be patient to all kinds of paperwork.
Fun workplace Environment
Web Developer/SURF Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 25, 2015
Good workplace environment and culture.

Pair programming was highly used to develop the software service.

Excellent coordination amongst team members.
Intellectually challenging but an opportunity to learn new things continuously
Manufacturing Engineer, Dakota (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 9, 2015
Research work involves using various manufacturing system modeling tools and methods. The results are demonstrated after several weeks. But often once a week presentation of progress. A typical day is a day at the desk studying, modeling and writing.
Management is supportive, and co-workers for the most part great.
Hardest part is when the approach I take to develop and integrate my models does not fulfil expectations. Most enjoyable part is having to learn, demonstrate and have industries and other stakeholders use reaults. That is, when they are in agreement with the work accomplished.
Pros
Some benefits, travel opportunity and meeting many talented professionals
Cons
Limited vacation time
Nist
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 28, 2014
I have worked here for 8 years.
There is job stability.
Many employees have been here for years.
Very support team to work for
Server Administrator (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 11, 2014
Security is key at NIST. There is a need to wear many hats working in a DevOPs
Great Work, Lousy Recognition
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 28, 2014
NIST does some amazing work, and some people find a niche that they thrive in. Not me. I enjoyed my work for a time, and I was good at it. My supervisors, though, would only acknowledge my contributions in hollow compliments. A promotion was nearly impossible to achieve. High performance ratings were, I was told, only for those who could "walk on water". In reality, HR reported that 17% of my peers "walk on water". HR, though, is just a tool of management, and resolving a performance rating dispute is futile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Institute of Standards and Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3