National Instruments Employee Reviews

Good benefits and decent culture
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2017
National Instruments is a growing company and currently they are going through growing pains. They claim to be at an inflection point and are encouraging employees to fast forward their careers. They have many plans, but often times the specifics of the plans get lost in the many many changes they make or are trying to make.
Pros
casual environment, cafe on campus, good benefits
Cons
Poor pay and seldom a raise, management unclear on many issues.
Great team and management
Programmer Analyst Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 19, 2017
People are great worker and very helpful. Management are solid. They listen to your ideas. Work hours are flexible as long as you get the work done. Everybody work with the same goal. Job security - NI never lay off their good worker because of bad economy.
Pros
Great benefits. Job Security
Cons
Salary are not competitive
Great Place to Launch a career
Software Group Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Great culture. Great life/work balance. I love working on interesting and challenging products and projects.

Compensation isn't as good. Bonuses are a joke.
Great place to work with lots of smart people.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78759December 13, 2016
Challenging work that allowed me to solve problems and create solutions on cutting-edge technology. On campus cafeteria, consensus driven culture, work/life balance priority.
Pros
100 year plan
Cons
Compensation
It was a good company to wook foor.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 9, 2016
I liked to work there the people were great. The warehouse was clean and everybody new there jobs. All the people were friendly and always ready to help you if you get in a bind,
Pros
the sups were always ttere to help you.
Cons
The company sent the warehouse and the production over seas
Very low pay, good work life balance
Product Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2016
Thank goodness NI is getting a new CEO, because there needs to be massive changes in order to turn this flat company around. The current CEO has no desire for growth.
Nice place to work
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2016
National instruments was a great place to work. Everyone was very nice. There was always something to do. The people there appreciated the work I did for them
family knit
Manufacturing Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2016
I enjoy my co-workers, and Management.
I enjoy contributing to the company. The company has a family atmosphere to it.The hours and location are convenient for my drive.
great place to work
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 29, 2016
Great place to work. Challenging projects. Good work life balance. Pay and compensation is good. The site I work even has a gym
I worked for short time but was a good company
AWS Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2016
it was good company to work . I really like the work place and my team . The hardest part of the job in this company was i had to manage a lot of work and a lot of servers

Want to know more about National Instruments?

Ask a question
Nationaql Instruments
Customer Education Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2016
I loved working for National Instruments. I enjoyed my team in the Customer Education Department. We all became like a family.
Our days were busy, but we enjoyed our jobs. And our boss was always fair and treated us well. The hardest part was when thing happened that were out of your control. We all just worked together to get through any issues.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Delays with shipping companies getting our supplies to classes on time
Great place for new grads, frustrating for long term
Senior Engineer, R&D (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 7, 2016
You will get to work on exciting projects that make a big difference in the world and pick up some valuable skills along the way. Eventually, you will be confronted by the realization that innovation and creativity are stifled by leadership who have zero accountability for their decisions and actions.
Pros
Talented peers, great work life balance, making a difference in the world
Cons
Middle and upper management do not address root issues, Harmful to company performance and employee sentiment
Good company to have a great work-life balance
Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work is 8-5 and you get your work done in a relaxing fashion. The culture is great and you don't feel the stress.

NI does cutting edge work. You get to bring forth your ideas and learn a lot.

Management and co-workers are NICE. I have not seen a different company where people are so nice. Disclaimer: Sometimes management chooses an inexperienced and un-fit candidate to be a manager. I reported to a newbie manager who was a passive control freak - He'd modify my code after I left work to match the style he wanted inspire of the fact that his style was not the most professional looking code.

Hardest part is pay. NI doesn't pay very well and you don't get bonus and salary raises regularly.

Enjoyable part of the job is the work. Work is beautiful !
Pros
NI Products, Nice people !
Cons
Salary.
Fun place with deck parties and happy hours
Technical Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 18, 2016
Fun place to work where you get to deal with customers working on cutting edge technologies. Beer Fridays are pretty common and are a great way to end the week at a great company.
Antiquated company that needs to look around at competition
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 14, 2016
This company used to be a leader in both employee satisfaction and competitive products. They've just fallen behind in the last few years. Focusing too much money into research instead of into supporting new customers and attracting new customers.

The culture is great, and is the saving grace for NI. I think they fall back on how great the work/life balance is as justification for poor compensation. They know the employees will stay because they enjoy the casual environment.

Now is the tipping point. If they don't continue to innovate and pay competitively they will fall irreversibly behind and lose a lot of talent.
Pros
Benefits, 3% 401k and 3 health plans, Employee stock purchase program
Cons
Salary is not competitive
Growing Pains
Sales Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2016
Sales team didn't provide a clear vision to employees of what they were striving for. Some of the management is green and cannot manage their team well or provide meaningful feedback.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
poor compensation, going through growing pains (some outsourcing), poor management
I like it overall
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COMarch 31, 2016
Had a pretty good experience working there. Pay was good and work environment was serious which I liked. They have many different departments and I worked for AWR department.
Products that are worth working hard to create
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 29, 2016
There are many wonderful things about working at National Instruments, but what means the most to me is that our products make a difference! I understand, in a very real way, how the work that I did at National Instruments enables scientists and engineers to do what would otherwise be too difficult to accomplish in a reasonable time.
Hardware Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMarch 23, 2016
Created testing programs in LabVIEW. Dealt with testing equipment such as oscilloscopes and function generators. Did not have too much interaction with other co-workers
Its a fun workplace
Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasFebruary 8, 2016
Its a great company to work for especially for fresh college graduates to gain experience in cross functional organizations.
Company encourages innovative thinking.
Pros
Deck parties
Cons
Won't think twice to move jobs overseas whereever there is a tax advantage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Instruments. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2