National Interstate Insurance Company

National Interstate Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Transitioning company
Contact Center Representative II (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHMay 1, 2017
Great place to work, great people, great benefits.
Out with the old, in with the new. Go with the flow and embrace the changes and all will flow into place.
Pros
Great Healthcare
Cons
Looking forward to continued growth
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHApril 20, 2017
Great people to work with. Senior management is down to earth. Company has made a lot of changes to become an Employer of Choice and has been named a NorthCoast 99 winner and made the Top Workplace and Smart Culture lists. Expecting a lot of growth and is building a great new headquarters to go with the two existing buildings.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for career advancement, Great low-cost lunch program. Recent improvements in workplace flexibility communicated by CEO.
Cons
Can't think of any now.
Great People, Great Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHApril 7, 2017
The people at National Interstate are great. It's easy to get up and come to work when you enjoy the people you work with. The company has taken some big steps to create an environment where people are connected and inspired. We are constructing a new building and doing some awesome things in the community.
Pros
People, Opportunity, Visibility, Impact
Cons
Collaboration can become overly-bureaucratic and slow at times
Great place to acquire knowledge of the industry and positive environment
A happy employee! (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIFebruary 3, 2017
Each day is started with 'Good Morning' greetings throughout the office. This company provides many morale boosting activities and weighs heavy importance on keeping its employees happy throughout the daily work routines. Since starting here I have gained a better understanding of the insurance industry and continue to learn from the management and the underwriting team here. Most of the managers here have an open door for questions and do their best to explain in depth to provide a better understanding of policy or procedure. All the departments communicate well and work together. Benefits and wages are above fair but will depend on where you see yourself going with the company and how you communicate your goals with the management. Definitely not a place for the weary or the unmotivated.
Pros
Location, Compensation, Morale
Cons
Some outdated programming/software
Good Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHFebruary 1, 2017
Good company that's focused on getting up to speed with the rest of the industry. They are investing in their people. There is a positive outlook.
Primarily use negative reinforcement. Clients are always happy with wervices you provide but mangement at NAtl no
Senior Risk Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  richfield OhioJanuary 14, 2017
Primarily use negative reinforcement. I entered a confident OSHA trainer and customer service pro and left feeling inconfident due to continuous negative reinforcement even though the clients were very satisfied with assistance I gave them. I worked 80-90 hours a week and they wanted more from me; managers are mostly interested in pleasing president etc instead of treating employees decent and with respect. Oh yes then you have to use your own credit card for travel which the fees add up when at one point I was owed 14000 dollars of travel expense; the person processing travel expenses decided he was too busy! Management did not care of financial burden it caused, still paying debt, big mistake going to work here!!!!!!!!!
Pros
pay
Cons
expectations, negativity
An ok place to work
Underwriting Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHDecember 28, 2016
National Interstate is a difficult place to work if you are a minority and don't align yourself with their culture and perspective. They have their own way of thinking that is quite different from the rest of the insurance industry.
Able to learn many skills
Claims Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHJuly 20, 2016
The company is fast paced, and allows for always learning new aspects of the business. The offer many classes on the social skills of dealing with customers and colleagues.
Good company
Senior Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  nationwideJuly 11, 2016
Good work environment but each department is different; some departments will put family a very distant second to work
Great People
Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHJune 2, 2016
The job can be taxing at times and gets rather repetitive really quick. I think the best part about the workplace are the people you get to work with.
Ok
Senior SEC & Investment Accountant (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHMarch 16, 2016
Job culture is rough. Play favorites. Long hours, good pay. If you work hard you will get noticed, but the finance field gets beat up on.
Overall good experience with company
Public Transportation Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHFebruary 25, 2016
Throughout my limited time as a summer intern I learned a lot about the insurance business. I got very good training and met many connections.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
location
Terrible management, terrible technology, terrible work/life balance
Captive Property Damage Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHSeptember 5, 2015
I was a claims adjuster in the captive property damage claims department. Everything was good for about the first eight months until other adjusters started leaving my team for other positions or whatever. Upper management failed to fill these positions and basically gave me all of their claims, plus I was getting a lot more because we were short staffed. Was I appreciated for my efforts? NO! There were days I would go in at 4 o'clock in the morning and not even leave until 9 o'clock at night. The claims load was unbearable. I had about 400 claimants at one time and obviously they were angry because their claims were not being handled fast enough. I skipped lunches, worked overtime for free, and couldn't even go to the bathroom because I was so busy. I know other claims adjusters that would come in on their days off just to stay afloat. The technology is from the 1980's and their processes and systems are completely inefficient. Upper management is completely out of touch with their claims adjusters and couldn't care less about us. There is an environment of fear that you will be fired if you cannot keep up. In fact, the longest conversation I had with someone in upper management was when he fired me and would not even give me a reason why. Then when I filed for unemployment, I found out that they lied and slandered me. Suffice to say I won my unemployment claim. And this is the appreciation I got for never taking a vacation, taking over other people's claims, and taking on more work because upper management would not properly staff the department. I would urge  more... anybody to stay far far away from this terrible company!  less
Pros
I can't think of any
Cons
Just about everything
Churn and Burn
Marketing Representative II (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHAugust 26, 2015
Pros
-Some really great co-workers -Awesome parties and socials -Great health insurance if you're single -Lots of responsibility for most entry level jobs -CEO still tries to treat it like a smaller company and give personal touches. Does a lunch with new hire groups and one-on-one meetings. Signs your birthday cards too. If you're looking for experience, NATL is a good place to start. There's always openings and you get a chance to do some things early in your career. I was maintaining a $7M book of business within a year.
Cons
-Boy's club -Favoritism rules -Low pay, no flexibility at all, terrible benefits (401k, vacation time) -No value to employees -Complaints to HR get right back to the managers or source of the problem. No real confidentiality. -Terrible technology They treat employees like worker bees and commodities. Hire them for cheap out of college, then they leave 2-5 years later for 15-20% pay raises. It's a revolving door which makes real business impossible. Brokers and agents don't trust them enough because there's no relationship. Had to travel and put things on my own credit card because there wasn't a corporate card given out. Take a red eye back home after working in CA over a weekend and ask your boss to come in at 11am after a nap...oh you have to take PTO for that.
Antiquated systems and management style
Customer Service Department (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHApril 19, 2015
Company is still trying to act like small company. Upper management too controlling but out of touch. Hiring too focused on young, cheap employees that do not stay. Would rather hire new college graduates than promote from within. Management style belongs in the 1980's.
Pros
lunch program, gym
Cons
Too many to list
Great start to the Insurance world
Customer Service Rep-Filings Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHApril 12, 2015
I learned about customer retention, DMV and filings issues and how to resolve them and introduction into commercial and personal insurance. National Interstate motto is Insurance built around you and that is what they strive to do. They are looking for what the customer wants and needs first and foremost. They want customers to come back year after year, not just for their money. I also learned that insurance companies work with the states to make sure that vehicles are registered and have correct VINs listed on file with the state as well as your policy. If you are a commercial customer they want to make sure you have authority with federal and states to insure driving through any or all states is approved. I come from a background of retail so insurance was very new to me. National Interstate was open to teaching me the difference between personal and commercial lines. I started off taking phones in customer service assisting insured's and agents with payments and simple questions on the policy. When I wanted to learn more they were open to me moving into the DMV/Filings department. I am again looking for something more to learn and open to all options.
Pros
Cheap lunches, healthcare
Cons
Management plays favorites
Amazing Place to Start Out
Risk Management Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHJanuary 24, 2015
This was my first professional experience and I have to say it was an amazing experience. National Interstate was a wonderful place to work, the people were all amazing and as an intern I did a lot. Overall I would recommend National Interstate Insurance as a place to work to everyone I know!
management is lackadaisical
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richfield, Oh.November 12, 2014
Working at National Interstate was challenging at best. Training on outdated and home-made systems was mediocre. Managers are not in sync and flexibility varies depending on the department you are employed with (I was with Customer Service whose V.P. is one of the more frigid people you could meet).
Pros
Location, benefits package
Cons
flexibility, systems and IS department, training
Not a place to go for state of the art systems
W/C Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHOctober 7, 2014
No flexibility, no advancement opportunities, management lacks direction and will lie to your face, no consistant work procedures. Little to no positive input. No training on procedures, worst of all truthfulness not recommended.

on site gym, inexpensive lunch program good if you like soup and sandwiches, hot meals not so much

Worst of all is the antiquated computer systems.
Cons
No room for advancement poor management
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 3, 2014
The job was not challenging and very boring. The systems being used were outdated and there were no formal operational procedures. A lot of the staff were difficult to work with. Some of the managers were rude and unprofessional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Interstate Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9