National Jewish Health Employee Reviews

I would love to work there again
Professional Education IT Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2017
I worked in the professional education function and I have nothing but great respect for the personnel and mission of this fine organization. Nice work environment, technology was a bit dated but there were tangible steps taken to improve that situation during my tenure. A relaxed yet professional workplace, business casual. The main campus is an oasis in the city. If you work in the research/medical side then you will be well resourced. However, my department depended on annual grants which led to some instability in our team and hurt morale.
Pros
Top notch organization and people
Cons
Many areas supported by grant funding subject to financial whims of supporters
Would have stayed there forever if I hadn't gotten laid off
Manager of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2017
Really enjoyed my job! Worked my way up from receptionist. In 7 years I had become a manager. I loved the work environment as well as my daily duties. Excellent place to work
Pros
Great opportunity for advancement
Cons
I got laid off so I feel job security is not ideal
Management is awful
Employee (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 4, 2017
Management at National Jewish Health is a complete joke. If you need a question answered, good luck because emails do not responses EVER. If you ever have a problem you have to take it to HR to get anything done.
Pros
Co-workers were great
Cons
Awful Management
Decent
Cannot Answer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 29, 2017
This company is decent, but it could be much better. Staff seem more concerned with blaming someone than getting issues resolved. The hours are good, but pay is below being competitive. Uses a pick-your-own benefits plan, which leaves gaps in coverage. You wont get much time off when you first start. Staff vary from unforgiving an pejorative to friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Nice staff, decent hours
Cons
Benefits, low morale, low pay
Good experience but mentally and emotionally exhausting
Health and Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2017
The hospital is non-profit and relies largely on the revenue brought in by the Quitline. It's a good program with potential but money is the motive. It is run more closely to a call center than a health program.
ok position
Administrative Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 17, 2017
i had a position and then they eliminated the position, then they brought it back, just upset that they coulden't make up there mind at the moment. Im happy.
per diem
Registered Nurse, Agency Nurse (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2017
Excellent work environment and culture. This company stays true to its motto "science transforming lives. " Patient centered care is collaborative between all providers
Not a good place to work if you are not retired and really do not have to rely on the income.
Health and Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2017
Management does not care about their employees. "The attitude is if you don't like it there's the door," which is constantly revolving. The company does not lose money on training people as the funds are incorporated into the incoming calls that are received.
Pros
located in a nice building that you can go on walks
Cons
parking and traffic, low pay, call volume too high
management not supportive
Physician scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 27, 2017
Culture is very negative, no one likes to help, it is every man out for them self, it is very hard to move up in the company if you don't know the right person.
Pros
The benefits are good
Cons
Management does not care about employees
Great Company Culture
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 14, 2017
While compensation lags behind the rest of the metro area, the culture of the institution is great. There is great work/life balance and supervisors and management truly care about their employees.
Good starting point
Patient Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 7, 2017
I learning a lot while working for NJH. I loved the work environment. If anyone is looking for a job in healthcare I would recommend working for this company.
Meh
Medical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 31, 2017
Where do I start? Turnover rate was high, and quality of patient care took a backseat to patient volume often. I've been through 5 supervisors since i've been there. There's no room for advancement and the pay as well as raises sucked. The attendance policy was very strict and they didn't understand our needs outside of the workplace. Management to me felt like it did not make a true effort to understand or solve many of the struggles addressed to them by the nursing staff. The absolute best part of my time there was the patients many of which i formed great relationships with as well as the doctors and my co-workers. The best advice i could give to anyone coming right out of school is not to work here. You will not utilize all of the skills you were trained for nor is there chances for advancement.
Pros
The doctors, patients and my co-workers, excellent benefits
Cons
no breaks, short lunches, high turnover, inept management
Excellent Institution with high quality medical experts in every field.
Lead Clinical Physiologist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2017
I loved working for National Jewish. I was constantly impressed by the level of knowledge and expertise of the medical staff. I learned a lot while working there and feel the salary and benefits were some of the best in my field. There was a fair amount of personal and sick time given and freedom to use it as needed.
Pros
long lunches, plenty of continuing education offered.
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Places to move up
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2016
Easy place to work to move up in the company. Management does not follow the rules they set, and have very little flexibility or understanding of an employees life outside of work. Good Medical/Dental benefits.
Solitary work with dangerous bacteria
Clinical Technologist I/II (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 14, 2016
Very specific microbiology work in BSL IV laboratory. Solitary work in negative pressure hood and rooms. Very detail oriented work, but not social. Repeated identification and susceptibility testing on samples from humans and animals to detect Mycobacteria and determine which drugs will be effective in treatment.
Pros
Microbiology training in world class hospital
Cons
Solitary work
Happiness depends on boss
Lab Researcher IV (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2016
From my observations, your happiness at work greatly depends on your boss. My boss happens to be great. The compensation and vacation policies are poor, the benefits are comparable to previous employers. Raises are non-existent and little room for advancement/promotion.
fellow employees were great. Company policies very unfair to employee.
LEAD PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 26, 2016
After 5 years and yearly management changes NJH was a very difficult place to work. Fellow employees were great. Policy was totally NJH sided, no understanding of real life for the employees. Rarely gave raises, if they did it was a few cents only. Long hours. Overtime was a regular part of the job.
Pros
No weekends or nights
Cons
Poor Management, High turn over, no choice in benefits.
cool
Health and Wellness (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2016
this place is cool to work for if you like an office setting. Its nice to know that you are saving lives to help people quit smoking. If you are a former smoker don't work here, it makes it very hard to not want to smoke again
Great Place to Work - Always Looking for Ways to Improve
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 23, 2016
The biggest difference between my previous employers and National Jewish Health is the commitment for improvement. The company holds periodic "Open House" forums, where the President addresses successes and concerns publicly. It personally means a lot to me to have the opportunity to voice my opinion, even to the executives. There are also consistent training opportunities to help develop skills.

In my experience the people that are the happiest here have a strong interest and commitment to the life-changing clinical treatment and research.
Pros
Department Leadership, Intrinsically Rewarding Work, Continuous Improvements, Open-Door and Collaborative Decision Making
Cons
Healthcare environment can be bureaucratic, slow to move, and procedural
Staff works as team members to achieve specific goals.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 10, 2016
Great place to work where everyone greets everyone else each morning.

I learned about budgets, spreadsheets, creating letters and how to work with others as a team member.

Management always provided the tools needed to accomplish a task. They recognized and appreciated my work.

Loved my co-workers!

Hardest part was the collection of pledges.

The most enjoyable was achieving our goal of each event.
Pros
Seeing the results of the National Jewish Health research efforts.
Cons
No choices for health care coverage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Jewish Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9