National Labor Relations Board Employee Reviews

Great job poor management
Office Automation Clerk, GS (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 23, 2017
The job is fairly easy but the management is horrible which is why they have a huge turnover in staff, Other than that I love the job and would recommend anyone
Excellent
Secretary to the Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2017
Very good office to work at that is why I was there for so many years. It is a small government agency but they do a lot of good work for the public. We tried to also do outside office activities together to keep in touch with office staff.
Pros
Regular staff meetings to air any difficulties or issues.
Cons
To many staff meetings.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2017
This was a great environment to work in. Great location and great people. There is a very diverse culture here which attracts many people from various demographic groups.
Great work!
Field Attorney (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2016
It is incredibly meaningful work that can have a profound positive change on discriminated individuals and unions. There is a lot of work to do and the supervisors are not able to keep up with the volume. But it is worth it, for the change you can effect.
Employees/coworkers are really great and friendly, management just looks down on support staff
Office Automation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC HeadquartersJanuary 4, 2016
The work here is pretty routine as a secretary. I come in early, check and respond to emails, answer phone calls, do any scheduling or meetings that need to be done. There's a lot of filing and organizing to do to keep the office straight. I order supplies for the staff as needed, update staff on any new announcements or office related activities. I have a quick lunch sometimes at my desk, other times out at a fast food spot, For the rest of the day I'm answering any phone calls or emails that come through, which aren't many the second half of the day. Management micromanages and hounds for immediate responses to things that are often out of staff's hands.
There is severe favoritism that hinders anyone from growing in their career.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, great pay, safe environment with security, free health fairs, clerical experience.
Cons
Managers look down on support staff, technology equipment often doesn't work, difficult to advance.
Go to another region
intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 22, 2015
Do not work at Region 5! Worst management EVER! Everything is based upon favoritism. No room for growth or bonuses! The energy in that place is HORRIBLE!!!! Its sad that you have to look else where when you could love your job but management does a poor job of making you feel like a family!
Excellent organization
FIELD EXAMINER Cooperative Assignment (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this office in Manhattan, NYC, NY. The work was interesting and varied. It was a temporary cooperative assignment but I found the work very interesting.
Good working opportunities when chance is available.
Language Assistant-Election Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 28, 2015
I had the opportunity in gaining experience working with case management system, data analysis and legal documents. Encouraging professionals atmosphere and rewarding comments after completed assignments. Your career can progress if you are in the right path.
Pros
career progress
Cons
little planning on assignments
Great work life balance
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 29, 2015
The work environment at the NLRB is very conducive to maintaining a great work/life balance. Colleagues and management are very supportive of each other.
US government agency for labor-management issues
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
Excellent and conscientious attorneys addressing US labor-management issues. Served in Office of the Chairman. Served as office of highest review after regional decisions.
Nice, fun place to work and you get to help people who have experienced unfair labor practices.
Litigation Support Assistant/Group Secretary (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2015
The NLRB investigates unfair labor practices against employers and unions, we are a neutral party and get to help people everyday. Throughout the course of a day I am preparing various documents, proofing documents for administrative staff and assisting investigators and attorneys in preparation for hearings or trials. Accuracy is extremely important in our office, errors can cost someone their case and have a major impact on their lives. There are many interesting things happening and a lot of opportunities to learn here in the National Labor Relations Board. The convenient downtown location doesn't hurt either.
A law firm that's objective is to be the voice of the unheard unionized workers
Admin. Asst. to the Deputy Regional Attorney (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
I work for the Deputy Regional Attorney, so my typical day consists of subpoenas being made, drafts of disposition letters. And I head the FOIA department, so daily I am organizing files, cases, closing out cases, uploading documents, and keeping track of the invoices paid or not.
I've learned how to take an affidavit, what the differences in some cases are, how to set up hearings and trials for cases, and the functions of different sections of the agency.
Management is very small. There are 2 people in our management team, so things get done as needed.
I get along with all of my co-workers, even the ones that aren't so easy to get along with. I have a great working relationship withthem. There are about 60 other employees here from all backgrounds and different personalities.
My job isn't hard at all. It could be a challenge to some, but once you strategize your work plan and organize yourself, the job is very manageable.
The most enjoyable part is being in charge of my work and it being productive. I do have to report to people, however in my section of work for the agency. I am able to make my own timetable, work independently most times and can be of assistance to others as well with their work when needed. I love to be productive. That is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Working at my own pace with and without deadlines.
Cons
Too laid back and no potential for continued growth.
Wonderful
Supply Management Officer, GS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2013
Had large corner office and modern equipment. Wonderful co-workers. Broad authority.
Pros
Responsibility
Labor union law
Appeals Data Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2013
Interesting job; must pay close attention to detail; lots of data entry and phone calls for the status of appeals. I had very friendly co workers that I still have contact with to this day. The hardest part of the job was telling someone hoping to get their job back that the appeal had been denied and there was no further action that could be taken at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the security
Labor Law
Compliance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaJune 20, 2013
I am the Compliance Assistant and in this capacity my supervisor, who is the (Compliance Officer), and I ensure that the parties in a case comply with the Settlement Agreement, Board or Court Order and/or Administrative Law Judges's decision.

I enjoy working independent and the hardest part of this job is knowing that there are no opportunities for my skills as a paralegal in the Region.
Pros
The benefits are really good.
Cons
Little opportunity for upward mobility.
It was a Job-Search one year program
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 12, 2012
Entering daily log book, guiding clients to the appointed case worker, transfering multi, approximately 50 phone line system, maintaing NLRB library in an orderly manner, assisting administrative duties.
Loved it
Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2012
No complaints about experience here. Bosses were supportive. The only thing I wish I could have changed was the Buffalo location.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Labor Relations Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2