National Life Group Employee Reviews

fast pace busy company with about 1,000 employees with nationwide offices
Pension Plan Trust Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 19, 2016
Everyday involved working with clients, IRS forms/regulations and pressure of deadlines

Management for the most part was supportive, always received good reviews annually. Department I worked in consisted of about 50 people doing various jobs to cover the whole experience of retirement planning and ongoing qualification of employer sponsored pension plans.

The everyday pressure at specific times of the years was difficult to deal with but extra work hours were put in as needed to get the job done to meet IRS deadlines.

Dealing directly with IRS agents was always a challenge but found that they do make mistakes just like all of us.
Pros
Company was large and boasted a broad range of extra after business activities - company picnics, holiday parties and perks.
Cons
no personal interaction with most management
Not the National Life your parents knew
observational analyst (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 20, 2016
The people at National Life Group are wonderful! The line managers are, for the most part phenomenal! Most upper management are as well. Executive management team, for the most part are as well. The issues are typically centered around the technology direction that the company has taken. It began some years ago with the outsourcing of technology personnel. The decline became far worse when the outsourced positions began moving offshore. And then came a new chief information officer. He is driving the company into the ground. National Life has gone from a premier company that the average person in Vermont hungered to work for. With many families having 3 or 4 generations working there at the same time. To a company that has forgotten the value of loyalty. There seems to also be a focus on weeding out older, more experienced staff. No longer do they care about the people. It seems to have become all about the cash. In the end, this company is dooming itself with it's current direction. I think a serious shakeup at the top is needed. So much talent is being lost. So many people that have given their entire lives to helping National Life become what they once were have been cast aside. And now you can't even get someone who speaks english to help you. And what english they do speak, is almost unintelligible. So if you want "a job" rather than a career, it's for you. If you're looking for a company to spend more than a couple of years, best look elsewhere.
Pros
great coworkers.
Cons
outsourcing
Great company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 31, 2016
Great company with great people. Learned so much from financial advisors. Really sparked my interest in wealth management.
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
They want you to be the best you can be and will push you to do jus that. They are pretty hands on and willing to hire young ambitious people. They teach you everything you need to know to be successfull
Not for me
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 2, 2016
Worked for them less than 2 years. Thought it was going to be my place to work for the next 20 years. Unfortunately, they did a total reformation of their work, divided my job in to two jobs, which would have meant a demotion for me. They did give me a good severance, and their benefits are great. Just not the culture for me.
Not for forward-thinking people
Leader (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTDecember 6, 2012
1950's work culture where women are harassed
Harassment is accepted and employees are not protected
Leadership lacks vision and strategic execution abilities
Front-line employees are worked to the bone and have little say in the company direction
Pros
vermont is a wonderful place to raise a family
Cons
culture of fear, harassment accepted by leadership, company lacks vision and strategic focus, no room for career advancement
Great place to work.
Consultant / Independent (Current Employee) –  Montpelier VTNovember 21, 2014
NLG is a long standing company since 1849 trying to get into the modern Insurance and Annuities world to support new distribution models. It will be a long road, but they are taking some positive steps. Great people with very much a Mid-west culture feel.
Pros
People, location
Cons
Immature management
Once you reach a certain number of years and age they try to make you leave if you don't they force you out
Agency Specialist/prior management (Former Employee) –  Montpelier,vtOctober 3, 2011
Used to be a great company, under new management the company is going down hill quickly
Pros
good benefits
Cons
does not treat older employees with respect
Good company
Mortgage Life Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MDNovember 15, 2015
Flexible schedule and opportunity for advancement. Must be a self starter and be able to handle a 100% commission job. Must understand the products thoroughly to sell well, continuing to know the competition is a must for success.
Decent company with high turnover rate
Agent Services Rep/Internal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMay 9, 2014
This company is what you make it. The job functions are nice. There's always opportunities to move around to other departments.

Cons:
Management does NOT know how to properly staff making everything seem rushed.

We were always behind on processing

Management does not favor older workers

Do NOT work in the SALES DEPARTMENT OR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! As long as you avoid those two departments you are good. Trust me, you do not want to be in either of those departments regardless of what they promise you upfront.
Pros
Upper Management has an open door policy
Cons
Management is very unprofessional
I have a lot of flexibility as far as working hours
Life Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 27, 2014
A typical day at work, I go into work around 10am, log onto computer, check emails, work on quotes for potential clients, make cold calls to people to see about setting up appointments. Go onto computer webinars to learn about product knowledge.

Basically everyone in the office does their own thing, being in the life insurance business, it is our own business, so we are what we make it.

There is no salary, just commision based.
Pros
Once people allow themselves to be educated on what life ins can do for them, then the possibilies can be endless
Cons
No Salary - all commission based
Business drives the IT department so always a challenge to get the required clarification on requirements which are very dynamic in nature.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VermontNovember 26, 2012
I had spent little time here on compared to my other projects. Working with the business team is really a challenge as we need to strive to get enough support.
A lot of preparation course for new agents
Part-Time Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 7, 2015
Manager and co-workers are very friends and are willing to answer any questions you might have from how to start acquiring new clients to how to handle a claim if one is filed.
Flexible
Life and Annuity Specialist / IBO (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJuly 7, 2015
Easy position. Immediate supervisor very helpful
Upline non existant. Very helpful customer service
Above average compesation
Its ok
Rewrite Technician (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 6, 2014
It felt like high school. Grown adults would gossip about other co-workers even when some co-workers were sitting next to them. Its a hit or miss with managers. Some rock while others are horrible.
Great place to work!
Senior Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  HQ Montpelier, VermontAugust 18, 2014
Great place to work and I feel very valued at my present position. I have been given an increasing level of responsibility after only a short time which I greatly appreciate.
Productive hard working environment
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJanuary 16, 2015
We had a small team for the amount of work we produced, and everyone worked very hard, but we had fun at the same time.
Great place to live and work
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 26, 2014
although many systems are out dated , the company runs well and is stable
Pros
vacation time
Good working atmosphere
Production Support Lead/Onsite Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montpelier VT USAMay 19, 2014
Good working atmosphere. there a day to day trades depending on market conditions.
good job