National Life Group Employee Reviews

Nasty people in management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJanuary 19, 2018
Dysfunctional environment . Very competitive and lots of micromanaging. Do not care about individuals. Pretty bizarre blend of old timers (Vermonters) and god-only-knows-who-these people are, their treatment of the average worker. Heartless.
Cons
Parking is horrendous
A wonderful place to work!
SCANNING OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTDecember 13, 2017
The culture of NLG is diverse and employees all appear to be very happy within their respective positions. Team work is very important and I felt that management was very willing and eager to support me. I would highly recommend anyone seeking a valuable and meaningful career to work at National Life.
Productive work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2017
I like working in this place because the people around me was friendly and they willing to help each other when you don’t understand the insurance. You are easily going to be bond with other people in your company. Overall is the friendly and awesome work place.
Great Place to Work
CONTRACT SPECIALIST II (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTNovember 7, 2017
National Life Group is an excellent place to work. Has great culture, offers training courses for employees who can find the time to go to them. Great benefits.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Management needs to work with team members to help advancement
This place is all about making money for upper management
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTOctober 16, 2017
Large portion of IT personnel was replaced by programmers from India in 2004. Remaining IT personnel had to train Indian programmers while still responsible for their own work. Indian programmers were difficult to train: lied about skills they had, wouldn't share info, extremely competitive with one another. All this caused unbelievable stress for home office personnel.

National Life was originally founded in Vermont because the work force here was/still is known for its integrity and faithfulness. This first step of replacing Vermonters with an offshore workforce was the incident that caused the downhill slide of work environment and steady increase of gap between lower and upper level incomes that continues to this day.

The 'Main Street' motto on their website makes me wonder whether to laugh or cry.
Benefits
Cons
Workers treated like dollars spent.
Coworkers were good and environment
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COSeptember 19, 2017
The overall environment was good. The coworkers were also helpful. Only two office days to cold call to make appointments and the rest of the week running appointments.
CEO is great, and has very strong values that he drives us to live by and NLG.
Business Development (Current Employee) –  VermontSeptember 11, 2017
Some managers need to work on their managerial skills, and learn how to properly manage a team. There are some that have gotten handed a position within management, that know so little about the processes and how some job functions actually work.
Cons
Micromanagement
Productive day
Annuity Replacements Specialist (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 20, 2017
Its a really good company to work for. They are really flexible on everything as long as you are doing your job. Its a growing company which is a good company to work for as an entry level
Pros
Good Environment
Cons
N/a
Productive and positive environment
Independent Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2017
I learned so much about the insurance industry. This company offers great opportunity for advancements. I had a wonderful manager who was always available for assistance when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
customer charge backs
Nice ambiance, great work life balance
Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMay 22, 2017
Excellent team enviroment, human resources support and from hiring manager. I learnt to use MG Alfa and verified data compatibility. Very structured management and organized workload.
Pros
Business etiquette lunches
Cons
Budget reduction for visa sponsorship
Great Experience as new FA
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 17, 2017
This was my first role as a Financial Advisor after passing my Series 7. The atmosphere was supportive and we were well incented to succeed. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
good people
Cons
commission based
good place to work
Accounting Technician II (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTMay 4, 2017
very supportive culture and great place to learn and build skills. Professional environment and this company looks out for their employees. Management finds the best ways to help their employees improve and move up within the company.
Horrible place to work.
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAApril 24, 2017
Don't go to work there. It's all about the numbers all the time and they say they care about you as an employee, but they really don't. The numbers that they want you to achieve are not achievable at all.
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
They want you to be the best you can be and will push you to do jus that. They are pretty hands on and willing to hire young ambitious people. They teach you everything you need to know to be successfull
Productive, fun work environment.
Insurance Broker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 20, 2016
Spent the days explaining what life insurance is to people who are interested in buying and how it benefits them and their next of kins.
Great company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 31, 2016
Great company with great people. Learned so much from financial advisors. Really sparked my interest in wealth management.
fast pace busy company with about 1,000 employees with nationwide offices
Pension Plan Trust Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 19, 2016
Everyday involved working with clients, IRS forms/regulations and pressure of deadlines

Management for the most part was supportive, always received good reviews annually. Department I worked in consisted of about 50 people doing various jobs to cover the whole experience of retirement planning and ongoing qualification of employer sponsored pension plans.

The everyday pressure at specific times of the years was difficult to deal with but extra work hours were put in as needed to get the job done to meet IRS deadlines.

Dealing directly with IRS agents was always a challenge but found that they do make mistakes just like all of us.
Pros
Company was large and boasted a broad range of extra after business activities - company picnics, holiday parties and perks.
Cons
no personal interaction with most management
Not the National Life your parents knew
observational analyst (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 20, 2016
The people at National Life Group are wonderful! The line managers are, for the most part phenomenal! Most upper management are as well. Executive management team, for the most part are as well. The issues are typically centered around the technology direction that the company has taken. It began some years ago with the outsourcing of technology personnel. The decline became far worse when the outsourced positions began moving offshore. And then came a new chief information officer. He is driving the company into the ground. National Life has gone from a premier company that the average person in Vermont hungered to work for. With many families having 3 or 4 generations working there at the same time. To a company that has forgotten the value of loyalty. There seems to also be a focus on weeding out older, more experienced staff. No longer do they care about the people. It seems to have become all about the cash. In the end, this company is dooming itself with it's current direction. I think a serious shakeup at the top is needed. So much talent is being lost. So many people that have given their entire lives to helping National Life become what they once were have been cast aside. And now you can't even get someone who speaks english to help you. And what english they do speak, is almost unintelligible. So if you want "a job" rather than a career, it's for you. If you're looking for a company to spend more than a couple of years, best look elsewhere.
Pros
great coworkers.
Cons
outsourcing
Not for me
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 2, 2016
Worked for them less than 2 years. Thought it was going to be my place to work for the next 20 years. Unfortunately, they did a total reformation of their work, divided my job in to two jobs, which would have meant a demotion for me. They did give me a good severance, and their benefits are great. Just not the culture for me.
Good company
Mortgage Life Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MDNovember 15, 2015
Flexible schedule and opportunity for advancement. Must be a self starter and be able to handle a 100% commission job. Must understand the products thoroughly to sell well, continuing to know the competition is a must for success.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Life Group. Our community is ready to answer.