National Life Group Employee Reviews

A lot of preparation course for new agents
Part-Time Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 7, 2015
Manager and co-workers are very friends and are willing to answer any questions you might have from how to start acquiring new clients to how to handle a claim if one is filed.
good job
overtime
new skill
Productive hard working environment
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee), Burlington, VTJanuary 16, 2015
We had a small team for the amount of work we produced, and everyone worked very hard, but we had fun at the same time.
Great place to work.
Consultant / Independent (Current Employee), Montpelier VTNovember 21, 2014
Pros: people, location
Cons: immature management
NLG is a long standing company since 1849 trying to get into the modern Insurance and Annuities world to support new distribution models. It will be a long road, but they are taking some positive steps. Great people with very much a Mid-west culture feel.
Great place to live and work
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee), Montpelier, VTSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: vacation time
although many systems are out dated , the company runs well and is stable
Its ok
Rewrite Technician (Former Employee), Montpelier, VTSeptember 6, 2014
It felt like high school. Grown adults would gossip about other co-workers even when some co-workers were sitting next to them. Its a hit or miss with managers. Some rock while others are horrible.
Great place to work!
Senior Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), HQ Montpelier, VermontAugust 18, 2014
Great place to work and I feel very valued at my present position. I have been given an increasing level of responsibility after only a short time which I greatly appreciate.
Good working atmosphere
Production Support Lead/Onsite Coordinator (Current Employee), Montpelier VT USAMay 19, 2014
Good working atmosphere. there a day to day trades depending on market conditions.
Decent company with high turnover rate
Agent Services Rep/Internal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Addison, TXMay 9, 2014
Pros: upper management has an open door policy
Cons: management is very unprofessional
This company is what you make it. The job functions are nice. There's always opportunities to move around to other departments.

Cons:
Management does NOT know how to properly staff making everything seem rushed.

We were always behind on processing

Management does not favor older workers

Do NOT work in the SALES DEPARTMENT OR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! As long as you avoid those two departments you are good. Trust me, you do not want to be in either of those departments regardless of what they promise you upfront.
I have a lot of flexibility as far as working hours
Life Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: once people allow themselves to be educated on what life ins can do for them, then the possibilies can be endless
Cons: no salary - all commission based
A typical day at work, I go into work around 10am, log onto computer, check emails, work on quotes for potential clients, make cold calls to people to see about setting up appointments. Go onto computer webinars to learn about product knowledge.

Basically everyone in the office does their own thing, being in the life insurance business, it is our own business, so we are what we make it.

There is no salary, just commision based.
Not for forward-thinking people
Leader (Former Employee), Montpelier, VTDecember 6, 2012
Pros: vermont is a wonderful place to raise a family
Cons: culture of fear, harassment accepted by leadership, company lacks vision and strategic focus, no room for career advancement
1950's work culture where women are harassed
Harassment is accepted and employees are not protected
Leadership lacks vision and strategic execution abilities
Front-line employees are worked to the bone and have little say in the company direction

June 8, 2013

I couldn't agree more. I have been here for several years and the company is going backwards and fast. Everybody is afraid to speak because management threatens your job. I hate coming to work everyday but we live in Vermont and there is no place else to work. We have a president who does nothing and goes skiing 4 days a week in the winter. When he is here he doesn't talk to anybody and makes us all uncomfortable. They just promoted a wholesaler to sales manager and he is in way over his head. It's painful to watch. We can't keep any talent because management doesn't let them have a voice. We have lost 3 great wholesalers in the past 2 years because management lacks vision and product. They also are vindictive and will fire anyone who they feel wants to make this place better. We just recently lost one of the best wholesalers in the industry because he lost a big trade due to incompetence of key accounts. He vented and his life was made miserable.You can't do that here. Every day sales get worse and worse and I am fearful of losing my job. Maybe it would be a blessing because this company is run like the NY Jets. My boss is evil and tells us we can be replaced every day. It's an awful place

Business drives the IT department so always a challenge to get the required clarification on requirements which are very dynamic in nature.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Montpelier, VermontNovember 26, 2012
I had spent little time here on compared to my other projects. Working with the business team is really a challenge as we need to strive to get enough support.
Excellent
SQL Server DBA (Former Employee), Montpelier, VTAugust 29, 2012
Excellent and was very comfortable working with the company.
National Life Group is a Fortune 1,000 Insurance Company which has been in business for over 160 years. It is a fantastic company with great people!
Associate Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Montpelier, VTJune 29, 2012
Pros: new england culinary institute owned cafeteria, parking garage, beautiful views, technologically advanced, nlg university (free skill improvement classes), employee picnics, professional yet fun environment, wonderful people
Cons: located in central vermont
National Life Group, a Fortune 1000 company, serves 840,000 customers. With 2011 revenue of $1.5 billion and net income of $124 million, members of National Life Group employ roughly 900 employees, with most located at its home office in Montpelier, Vermont. Group companies also maintain offices in Addison, New York, and San Francisco.
Working at National Life Group (NLG) has been a real pleasure. The people here really care about you and my manager is fantastic. Not only does my manager encourage me to learn everything possible, but he specifically assigns me to certain projects because he knows I'll gain a new skill. My co-workers are very warm and always there to offer advice or assistance if I need it, which was very helpful when I first started here. Time off is combined so you never have to worry about using up vacation time versus sick time left and management encourages everyone to use as much vacation time as you have. NLG also encourages flex time as long as your job allows it, and managers are very understanding about family matters.
I've learned so much from working at NLG and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Once you reach a certain number of years and age they try to make you leave if you don't they force you out
Agency Specialist/prior management (Former Employee), Montpelier,vtOctober 3, 2011
Pros: good benefits
Cons: does not treat older employees with respect
Used to be a great company, under new management the company is going down hill quickly
Headquarters