National MS Society Employee Reviews

Fun and exciting internship
Special Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 26, 2017
I work as a Special Events intern under the Development Coordinator. What I do varies, depending on the day and times I come in. Sometimes I sit in on meetings to learn how meetings regarding logistics go. Sometimes I visit the sites where events will be held and other times I make cold calls. During the time of one of the luncheons I made and sent out the invitations. And I have also sent out handwritten thank you notes. It's not always fun exactly, but I am learning a lot here.
Loved Working with These People
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 10, 2017
Volunteering at the MS Society was great. Everyone was so kind and supportive of each other. The management was fantastic, as they made sure everyone was doing what they needed to in the right area. I learned how much love and support complete strangers can have for each other, which makes me so happy. The hardest part of the job was trying to get around, because there was a lot of people in just about every area of the event, but other than that, it was completely enjoyable. In fact, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how happy everyone was to be around each other and support each other.
Pros
supportive, great cause
Review Summary
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2016
Non-Profit, it feels nice to give back. Continuous learning is a plus, people are easy to work with. Volunteer opportunities a must.
Cash Receipts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 5, 2016
MS Society brought awareness to the issue. Fundraising millions of dollars annually for the cause. Volunteers committed countless hours to make sure events were successful.
Pros
Cause related organization
Cons
small local organization with little room for advancement
This is a wonderful place to work. Everyone here is very passionate about the constituents and their needs.
Constituent Information Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2016
When i walk into work everyday i have a smile on my face. I enjoy what do. I have learned its about the people that suffer from MS. The money that is raised helps find a cure. My boss is awesome and she enjoys her job just as much as my co-workers and I do. The hardest part about my job is not finding a cure for people that are suffering with MS. I enjoy everything about my job.
Pros
The people that I work with
Excellent cause to help.
volunteer Walk MS Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLMarch 11, 2016
Very important efforts to help reach a cure for MS, and an excellent way to join people with MS with those serving to help them.

Very happy to be part of an effort to reach a cure.
Pros
Importance
Cons
Cyclical
Challenges and changes
President (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 12, 2016
While I always held the same position within the organization, the position changed throughout my tenure. Initially the organization was small, one of 100+ chapters. At the end of my time there were less than 40 due to mergers and realignments. Realignments enabled an organization to maximize its back office through shared services, while honing the ability to expand fund raising. This positions the organization to compete with other health oriented charities for the much needed research funding.

With so many pharmaceutical interventions and treatments available now, the cure should be in sight with this singular lens of effort.
Pros
Being part of something larger
Cons
Being part of something larger
Great organization with amazing staff and employee benefits
Associate Vice President, Call Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 11, 2013
The National MS Society's Information Resource Center, the organizations nationwide call center, is an extremely busy and frenetic environment. The "Specialists" or agents who take calls manage over 1,000 calls and 100 emails daily in addition to auditing social media contacts. The management team is supportive and the team is a collection of committed and hard-working Social Workers, predominately Master's level. It is challenging to work at the very busy pace and ensure Specialists obtain the training and education they need in order to skillfully answer client questions and manage the technology needed to perform their jobs. However, the team is incredibly supportive, knowledgeable and professional.
Pros
Supportive co-workers, great benefits and 7 hour work day
Cons
Extremely busy and stressful environment
Demanding, adequate paying non profit
Community Development Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2013
Excellent programs and services for persons with MS. However, they expect employees to work long hours of over time without a break and also expect employees to donate money to every event.
The Regionalization of the MS Society has made it nothing but a corporate type environment.
Current staff (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasMarch 15, 2013
1) Too much office politics not just by peers but also VP level staff.
2) For a non-profit, it is nothing but profit minded people.
3) VP's state open door policy, but no one acts on that for fear of losing their job.
4) The VP's care more about numbers and own agenda's being presented to the board then taking care of the clients.
5) It is always commented that you can be replaced, very stressful environment to work in.
Pros
clients with ms
Cons
everything else.
Clerical
Clerical Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 1, 2012
I Picked National MS Society To Volunteer for Because I have all the skills for what they needed help doing. I have several more skills also. The Volunteer Cordinator At The National MS Society Is A Very Nice Person. I enjoy every bit of the job she is asking me to do. Its quite simple. There is nothing hard about it.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Very busy company
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2012
Enjoyed working with the people at the company and working with the public.
Volunteering for MS is a very good cause.
Volunteer for the MS Walk Committee (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMarch 22, 2012
I enjoy volunteering for the MS Walk every year. This is a great cause to support and a great team to work with. There is no better feeling than knowing you are helping others find a cure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National MS Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4