National Multiple Sclerosis Society Employee Reviews

The Re-alignment Pains Continue at the NMSS
Administrative Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 7, 2017
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is still going through major re-alignment pains. Too many Project Managers were promoted to Department Managers creating a serious lack of leadership. I adored 95% of the people I had the opportunity to work with and most of the people employed at the Society have good hearts and intentions. I would recommend working for the Society in any department that is not Operations. That department has got some major issues with management and work flow.
Pros
95% of the people are amazing!
Cons
Management issues due to re-alignment.
Poor Employee Management
Leadership Events Specialist (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 13, 2017
This is a company in transition, very little real leadership or guidance. Work Life balance is okay for about 6 months out of the year but then the other 6 you are expected to attend many events and only get some of the time back, when your manager agrees you can take time off.
Lively and upbeat
Volunteer Event Setup Team (Former Employee) –  Pennsylvania USAAugust 1, 2017
Organised events were made on weekend and it required setting up the props for events. Mainly dealt with people part taking in event which was sometimes disorganised and chaotic.
Hit or Miss opportunity
Community Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  unknownJuly 26, 2017
There has been a ton of internal change since I have left, so my review may not accurately reflect the happenings of the organization.

- In remote locations, there may be able only 1-2 staff who run massive events for hundreds of people. While I was not the leader of the events, it was incredibly stressful. You might work 100 hours event week with absolutely no comp time or flex time. To offset this, there was a 6 week PTO plan, but I felt like I couldnt event take time off because I cared about the mission so much. This job was all consuming of my life, I had no work life balance. My husband volunteered 12-16 hour days event weekend. If you are interviewing, make sure you know how many major special events you will be supporting or managing.

- Be prepared for a lot of weekend work.
- A team of 2 had 6 major events over whole weekends. We also had to be at Sam's Club for 6 additional weekends straight. To recruit for the special events, we attended 3-5 other special events (Iron Man type events and other races to recruit). In total, I worked at least 34 weekend days. The one year, I worked 56 days on the weekend (which is more than my PTO and 1/2 of the weekend days in there year with no comp time). Even with all the passion in the world, I emotionally couldnt handle it. Make sure you know exactly how many special events you will be required to manage!

- You might only be happy doing this job if you really care about the cause and have a lot of time to devote to it. I don't think other sites have quite as many special events.

- Never received a raise in three
  more... years.  less
Great place to work!
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJuly 11, 2017
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a great place to feel like you are making a difference in the lives of those with MS. You will meet a lot of great people through the work you do.

Organization provides a robust benefits package to all full-time employees.

Training system is top-notch, many opportunities to obtain training in the areas of interest to individual employees.
Pros
Robust benefit package
Cons
High turnover
Meaningful Work and Great People!
Sr. Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
-a typical day at work is busy and challenging, but extremely rewarding
-I've learned a great deal about MS itself and how to be a champion of the organization and advocate for important change for those living with MS
-management is definitely a work in progress in terms of getting on the same page and unifying management style, but there are great resources in place now and it has brought more authenticity and trust into manager-to-report relationships
-there are so many different opportunities to get involved in a number of events and/or projects; it is a great place to be to make an important impact on people's lives and learn a lot and grow, personally, while you're at it!
Pros
aside from meaningful work and great people, there are frequent organization-wide updates on research breakthroughs and other successes
Cons
coming out of a period of transition, so there is some areas of ambiguity being sorted out
Enjoyed the paperwork and daily routines of the office.
Board of Directors files (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2017
I learned a lot about the National Multiple Sclerosis Society rules and the disease itself and how to promote the races. The hardest part was learning new programs for data entry.
Intern job
Intern Student (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 30, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of a few assignments, nothing to keep me busy for the entire 6 hour day. It was very unorganized at times a little hard to feel like there was a significant amount of work for me to do, or like I was making a difference.
Pros
Flexible with hours
Cons
Felt invisible, useless, wasn't productive
great people to work with
Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 21, 2017
I had an awesome intern experience at NMSS because the staff worker with me thoroughly and I loved working with the members at the events for donating to the society.
Deeply committed to mission
Director of Major Giving (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 21, 2017
The National MS Society is deeply committed to serving people living with multiple sclerosis at all stages. The culture is inclusive, supportive while working hard to achieve high financial goals while supporting staff and their work/life balance.
A positive place to work
Administrative Assistant/ Data Entry/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 16, 2017
Working at NMS Society was very rewarding because of the cause itself. I have seen one on one of the disease and how each one has suffered through out their pain
Rude management
Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 27, 2017
Management was horrible. Just went through big lay-offs and HR was very rude when telling people they were going to be out of a job. Many people decide to leave on their own and do not stay long because of the drama.
Pros
Supporting people with MS
Cons
poor management
Resume Booster
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJApril 3, 2017
Although this is unpaid, it is a great way to boost your resume. The hours are very flexible with your class schedule, and everyone in the office is nice, friendly and helpful.
Dedication and Care for all involved with this organization
Manager of Teams (Former Employee) –  Oakhurst, NJMarch 28, 2017
I spent my years with the organization growing as a person. Learning what it meant to care about what you did. I loved every aspect of my job. Some moments were challenging since we sent our time developing fundraisers for those living with MS. It wasn't always easy but it was so rewarding.
Awesome Organization to Volunteer For!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 22, 2017
Loved volunteering my time for them! Knowing that the money raised was going to scientific research to help find a cure - was one of the most amazing feelings knowing it was for my dad!
coordinator
coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2017
great place to work at very friendly ppl , good experience since i did different tasks , i like working in such an environment where you can see people health progressing , highly recommended
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
depressing since you see sick people
Constant work but great management
Internship (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLDecember 21, 2016
Come and start making phone calls. Learned how to speak on the phone better and how to handle multiple projects. Management was great and always friendly. Hardest part of the job was speaking on the phone.
Pros
Easy going
Focused on ending Multiple Sclerosis
Data Entry Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 29, 2016
Very focused on customer service and driven to end the devastating effects of Multiple Sclerosis. A company very dependent on fundraising and development.
First job out of college
Associate Vice President (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 21, 2016
I was fortunate to have a job offer at the end of my internship. I was able to grow as a young social worker and advance to a management position. Towards the end of my tenure, my position as Program Director was extremely stressful and there were a lot of changes happening in upper management. I managed a 6 million dollar contract, 5 supervises, and 40 counselors. Lessons learned were how to be a leader, motivator, mentor and enforcer. The hardest part of the job was keeping staff motivated while working a billable contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a team from the ground up and seeing it grow into a successful program.
Pros
Helping families in crisis
Cons
Managing personalities
Great position with ample support/training from the home office
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 9, 2016
A typical day would include maintaining an annual budget of 8.3 million, prepare/supervise journal entries, Balance Sheet reconciliations, bi-weekly payroll, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. Also preparation of schedules for annual audit.
Pros
Wonderful mission to support people affected by Multiple Sclerosis
Cons
Heavy workload.