National Multiple Sclerosis Society Employee Reviews

Fantastic work/team environment to fulfill passion
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MO and Wareham, MANovember 2, 2016
Best experience in my career so far as a fundraiser and event manager I was given a chance to be creative and supported. The participants, volunteers and employees made it worthy.
First job out of college
Associate Vice President (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 21, 2016
I was fortunate to have a job offer at the end of my internship. I was able to grow as a young social worker and advance to a management position. Towards the end of my tenure, my position as Program Director was extremely stressful and there were a lot of changes happening in upper management. I managed a 6 million dollar contract, 5 supervises, and 40 counselors. Lessons learned were how to be a leader, motivator, mentor and enforcer. The hardest part of the job was keeping staff motivated while working a billable contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a team from the ground up and seeing it grow into a successful program.
Pros
Helping families in crisis
Cons
Managing personalities
Great position with ample support/training from the home office
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 9, 2016
A typical day would include maintaining an annual budget of 8.3 million, prepare/supervise journal entries, Balance Sheet reconciliations, bi-weekly payroll, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. Also preparation of schedules for annual audit.
Pros
Wonderful mission to support people affected by Multiple Sclerosis
Cons
Heavy workload.
Right place, wrong time.
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 27, 2016
The Society is currently undergoing a complete reorganization and streamlining to be more flexible and able to respond to changing trends in the non-profit sector.

The position of Operations Administrator is a new hybrid title, taking on the tasks of three different positions.Huge cut in staffing.

The lack of security causes anxiety among the staff members.
Caring and dedicated to ending Multiple Sclerosis
Constituent Information Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 23, 2016
The National MS Society is a caring and dedicate organization that cares about individuals that are affected by MS. The are working hard to help fund research that will end the devastating effects of MS.
Organization with an awesome mission
Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 6, 2016
I have come to believe strongly in the organization’s values and culture, and the enormous effort it takes in providing the needed resources for its continents.
Poor Management, Adverse to Change
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 29, 2012
This review speaks specifically to the Gateway Area Chapter in STL. Management is poor, doesn't listen to ideas or invest/motivate employees - unfortunately I felt more like a cog in a machine. Raises and title changes are awarded more based on how long you have been there and how much you keep your head down than on merit/hard work/critical thinking and logic. Getting money for MS research is truly important and needs to continue, but this specific chapter has all sorts of problems internally and the President just looks the other way. Truly sad environment. Any smart, competent person will not stay long.
Pros
great clients
Cons
poor management/leadership, micromanaging, poor communication, no employee investment
Horrible Culture, Management & Job Expectations
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 9, 2015
A typical Non-Profit environment with a "high-school feel." Co-workers were rude and vindictive on daily basis. Culture was cold and demeaning with no respect of personal time or regard to work/life balance. Pay is decent - as non-profits company's can be - but for the amount of work needed no where NEAR enough. I was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week and when events happened they were more like 18 hr days. A lot of physical work of moving and loading and setting-up things with little to no help from co-workers. Overall a horrible work experience. There were two people in my position with the YEAR before me.. if that type of turnover says anything about the job. When I handed in my two-week resignation, the Vice president made it a point to scold me in her office - demeaning my choices and professional ability. She was passive aggressive and said "What are you going to do, work at Wal-Mart?!" After that meeting, my decision to quit just became that much more justified. Just an absolutely horrible office, repulsive management & unfeasible work load. Avoid working there at all costs - just volunteer if you feel strongly about the cause. They can always use volunteers!
Pros
your efforts may help the cause to find a cure for MS and help others
Cons
everything was horrible about the St. Louis Chapter - just horrible
Pressure Cooker all the time
Vice President of Major Gifts (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2013
As a part of senior management there were a minimum of 3 meetings a day and no time for actual work. I learned that micromanaging from above is a terrible way to manage people, so I took a mentoring approach.
Pros
meeting and bonding with people with MS
Cons
Silos within every department; took benefits away each year, cut staff and made everyone do double time
Rewarding Work
Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2016
Enjoyable work, while helping others. Demanding, but rewarding to see everything come together. Work on some weekends, but not often.
Good time off benefits
Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 19, 2012
The benefits are decent, but the management style they have put in place leaves the organization in complete disarray. Most here prefer to work in chaos mode-so if you don't mind high stress with few results, go for it.
Wonderful Experience
Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 9, 2015
It was sad to leave. I only left due to a salary increase that I needed. Hard work load, but awesome environment. We had generous amount of PTO days given as well.
Poorly managed non-profit offered great experience
Event & Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 28, 2012
A typical day at work during event season included negotiating with multiple vendors, making purchases and completing orders for upcoming special events, as well as concentrating on marketing the event to our local area.
Management was not well trained in how to handle employee conflicts or the financials of running a non-profit organization.
I was asked on several occasions to "change" revenue numbers before presenting them to our Board of Directors which I could not do as an honest employee.
The hardest part of this job was the manual labor and long hours that are required during event week. All employees must run on little sleep and high stress. Thankfully I work well under these conditions and am not easily stressed.
Pros
excellent medical coverage, great supporting co-workers
Cons
long hours, manual labor, financial crisis in chapter leading to job instability.
Fun!
Office Administrator-Lone Star Chapter, Dallas (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 20, 2014
Working for a non-profit organization is of course primarily about the clients and their wellbeing, but the fun that is had by all is what set this job apart from others in my career. Learning to balance client needs while running a business isn't for the "faint of heart". Sensitivity to a client is the utmost responsibility of each employee. Some clients are suffering more than others and keeping a positive outlook can be difficult, but a must!
Pros
Outdoor events are a fun way to interact with clients and fellow employees
Cons
Long hours at peak periods throughout the calendar year
I learned a lot about fundraising efforts
Data Entry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2015
Co-workers were easy to work with. Most enjoyable about job was diversity of position that I held. Good relationship with management.
Pros
Free lunch
A Great Cause!
Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2014
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a wonderful organization with a powerful mission, to strike out MS! Co-workers are dedicated and passionate about the mission and those we serve. Long-standing relationships have been established and nurtured between staff and participants, constituents of the Society.
I've learned a great deal being a member of this organization; I've found my own personal strength and resolve and attained new skills in fundraising and cultivation, honed existing skills.
Management has been going through some changes over the past few months, which has resulted in some unsteady leadership.
I greatly enjoy my co-workers, and sharing in their enthusiasm for our work. I've enjoyed our special events and meeting so many different people living with and affected by ms and still pushing forward with a positive outlook, these folks are inspiring!
Pros
Great team, powerful mission
Interesting learning experience for someone who is interesting in non-for-profits
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOMay 10, 2012
A typical work day consisted of me collecting donations, cleaning, or organizing the office, creating spread sheets, and creating the occasional flyer.
I learned a lot about non-for-profits and the struggle they have running on very little to none.
The management was needy and demanding
I didn't have any co-workers
The hardest part of the job was balancing my school work, other jobs and still being available to work at the National Multiple Sclerosis Society as much as my manager would have liked
The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my hard work pay off at the MS Walks
Pros
helping people
Cons
demanding manager, not a lot of real world experience for pr
Employees are zealous in their work. They help people affected by MS.
Finance Associate (Executive Assistant) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2013
I was fortunate to work in one of the fast pace departments at the National MS Society, the finance department. I usually prepared for upcoming meetings and/or webinars. I created documents in Microsoft Word and Excel, then saved the documents in Adobe Acrobat Professional program and created a table of contents. In between preparing for meetings, chapters' supply requests were processed, daily; and I kept abreast of contracts and agreements that needed to be signed and returned to their respective departments. Commitment, integrity, and teamwork describes the finance department management and support staff. It is not uncommon for management to work into the evenings -- always maintaining a pleasant atmosphere. I too, with commitment and willingness worked beyond normal hours in order to meet our department deadlines.
Pros
management is willling to grant its staff flex time.
Cons
some may find that national ms society has more meeting than other companies.
learning atmosphere with great people
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  733 3rd avenueSeptember 30, 2015
I really built up experience with this position. Everyday I learn something new in the non for profit world of accounting.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
traffic
Financial Administrator for National MS Society (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 7, 2014
Enjoyable place to work, all the employees worked well with each others, no problems among employees. Good management locally
and worked under the National's guidelines, that was well thought out. After working 16+ years there was no hard part of the job. The
most enjoyable part was the interaction with the other employees.
Pros
There were some free lunches, employee's birthdays as well as their work anniversaries were celebrated
Cons
Don't know of any

2.9