National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Summary
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Alice, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Handle the setup, service and daily operations of warehouse setting, taking out merchandise that is requested by the customer/business. Ship out orders with all Postal Services, a Hotshot Driver and making personal deliveries to the designated area myself; operate heavy machinery that coincides with my job ethic. Prepare daily sales reports for management; conduct daily inventory; and perform social and interactive skills with every person I encounter on a daily basis. As an Inside Sales Rep my duties have been greater relied on given that I am also in charge of invoicing and working through weekly reports that consist of clearing open sales orders, work orders, purchase orders and in transit receivers.
Creative and good environment
Mechanical and electrical technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Have to look at schematic at the first time. Recognize parts, wire, location, and size of parts before building system. I learned how to use drill, punch, jigsaw, saw machine, air drill, crane, and pallet jet. My co-workers are kinds, funny, and helpful. I really like test, find out problems of system after building it, and fix it before send it out.
Pros
good environment
Cons
N/A
NOV was an exciting business with a great team.
Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
The wellhead pressure control equipment manufactured at NOV Elmar was second to none and the pride within all employees made it that much more enjoyable to be a part of the team. As part of the senior management team, we worked as a cohesive unit with respect towards one another's roles, vision and decisions. The inclusion of our direct reports and theirs made it for a very open and ever improving environment with the efforts and interest on the business being the focal point for the employees which allowed for us to succeed in all aspects of the business.
Pros
Teamwork among all ranks and the respect for the roles of each and the decisions being made.
Cons
The VP's lack of engagement for both the Aberdeen and Houston business locations
Good place to get foot in oil and gas bussiness
Electrician Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Great time as a field engineer there learned a lot about the oil and gas bussiness. Loved traveling all over the world for work.
Pros
Travel
Okay place to work
Project Planner II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Nice place to work. I didnt care for my manager which caused me to leave the company. Very low pay compared to competitors
Pros
Nice Culture
Cons
Low Pay, Unorganized
good
Meachanical &Electrical tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Best place to work and a family oriented business.The working hours were good for a family person and they support you when you need help.
Okay
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVFebruary 2, 2016
Night shift was great, loved working there with co workers and management. Took a position on day while all big wigs were there and public and it was different. Oil and gas went under and they didn't have the need for drills to be made.
Productive and relaxed atmostphere
Animator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2016
I fully enjoyed my time at NOV, my boss was great to work for, and they did right by me as an employer. I feel that I learned a lot in my time there, and had the opportunity to vastly further my skillsets and abilities as an animator which will serve me well in the future.
Great company with lots of opportunity
Regional EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
Solid culture of hard working people
Learned a lot about the industry
Co-workers are great workers
Enjoyed working with lots of stakeholders
Pros
Personal truck use
Typical day
Senior Buyer - Milling/Turning Dept (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 29, 2016
Meetings, meetings, meetings. No time to get work done. Often times the meetings would not stick to the agenda, running off in many different directions.

NOV provides a valuable product and has great concepts. The relationship between management and workforce feels strained. (Real) communication is lacking.

In years past (10-15 years ago), making business happen was not as cumbersome as present day. There are increasing hurdles to overcome, but yet they want more productivity.
With a little "listening" to the challenges the workforce faces, they might actually be able to strategize ways around the hurdles.

Great company, just lost their way a bit.
Pros
CO-WORKERS / SHOP ENVIRONMENT (NOT AS TENSE AS OFFICE ENV)
Cons
TOO MANY MEETINGS GETTING NOTHING ACCOMPLISHED
Bhargav Kandula
AC Drive Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2016
Typical Day at work?
Design, build, test, validate and trouble shoot power systems, controls, PLC design.

What you learned?
Over the last 10+ years i worked at various places and learned about various power systems design, controls in power electronics applications.

Your Co-Workers?
Collaborate with co-workers to find better solutions

The Hardest Part of the job?
miscommunication or communication lapses with customers both internal and external

Most Enjoyable part of the job?
To solve the problems, be an asset to my team and the company.
Pros
Dedicated, Persistent, Knowledgeable and willing to work others
Cons
attention to details and listening to others - which i consciously work on to better everyday
Productive work environment
R&D Lead Man (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Company was good to work for had the chance to work overseas in Kuwait. I was able to work in two different departments and grow. Down side was company went under and closed down.
Productive and fun place to work
Inventory Control Manager (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 28, 2016
I learned a great about oil and gas culture
diverse and very informative company. allowed the employee to grow and learn as long as you were willing to work hard.
Productive and fun place to work
Regional Field Sales (Former Employee) –  Evansville, WYJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at work going out to the drilling rigs and billing invoices and selling company products. i learned a lot about selling downhole drilling products and drilling rigs. My Sales manager was the best boss that you could ever ask for. My other sales partner was also the best that you could ask for. The hardest part of the was trying to find the different locations the Drilling rigs were on. the most enjoyable part of the job was having the best sales team around. We all worked good together.
Exceptional and innovative company
Regional Sales Manager - Executive Sales - DDS (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 27, 2016
NOV is an innovative company within the oil and gas industry. NOV has wonderful career opportunities and advancement opportunities.
friendly place to work
Senior Mechanical Checker-Designer/AUTOCAD (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
great benefits
I learned allot
co-workers were great
difficult part was engineering challenges
enjoyable part of the job was finding solutions for complex engineering problems
Pros
great location
Cons
not enough training
Oilfield equipment supply company.
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Willis, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Fast-paced, busy warehouse which entailed construction of shipping crates, packaging of parts, loading and unloading trucks with forklift. Also responsible for cold storage and rotation of rubber stocks used in drill making process. I was also sent to classes to become certified in HazMat. A job like this makes the day go much faster. Management was available to respond to questions and problems.
Pros
Safety-oriented, good healthcare benefits and 401k
Cons
Not enough moving equipment; having to share forklifts with other departments.
low paying and no work skills
Welder (Current Employee) –  Dayton, TXJanuary 26, 2016
they have lowered all pay and make us work to all potential. Their are weeks with no toilet paper and soap. it just the worst place i have worked in my life period.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Good place to work with good opportunity.
Machinist/CNC Operator/Mazatrol Programmer (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 24, 2016
The environment is very easy going and smooth even when a deadline needs to be made. All of my fellow co-workers are very nice and like to help out where they can to make sure everyone who needs help gets it, Management is fair and is easy going with a full Open-Door Policy in effect at all times.
benifits
QA/QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 23, 2016
it is a good place to work with good benefits. slow pace, training, room for advancement lacking. a typical day work steady flow. I renewed my VTII training. good co workers good communication. the hardest part of job getting welders trained to quality standards. best part of job turning out a quality product.
Pros
good benifits slow pace
Cons
no transfering oppurtunities