National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Found 1,161 reviews matching the search
Think twice if you value family life
Assistant Lead Welder/Exotic Metal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2017
When I first started working at NOV, it seemed like a good place to work. Compensation was fair, health benefits were excellent, and the promise of advancement was there.
In less then 3 years, I watched it get worse as the price of oil plummeted.
I've worked in mom and pop shops and I've worked in large corporations, and I've noticed that the smaller shops may pay a little less, but they care about their employees.
This company does not give a hoot about their employees. I've sacrificed weekends, holidays, I've worked 80 hours a week for months without a day off, had near perfect attendance for them to turn around and simply eliminate my position after bleeding me dry.
Pretty good chance I won't return for future employment if contacted.
Great Company - Not so wonderful upper management
Executive Account Manager / Sales (Former Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXFebruary 9, 2017
For it being a company I worked for for over 10 years, once the management changed, I could not see myself with National Oilwell any longer. My management spoke to everyone like we were dogs. It would make me sick just pulling in the parking lot for work. There was no talking to his boss about how we all felt because he was best friends with his manager. Not a very enjoyable place to work once management changed. Was laid off do to "reduction in force" but I know my name was at the top of the list because of our personality conflict. Regardless that I was the top revenue producer in the Houston Downhole division.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Great Internship
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2017
The internship was good overall, but the oil and gas industry is very radical now. You never know how well the industry is doing. They've stopped taking in accounting interns because there is not much money anymore. They will not give any compensation for housing even if you were to relocate to where the job is! Overall, the employees were nice, and the culture is good. You learn a lot, but when the oil and gas industry is down, there is not much work to do. In fact, many factories are closed. They'll cut on costs by laying off more people and not hiring people at all. I do not recommend working in the Oil and Gas industry. I'll never do that again!
One of the better jobs I've had
Final Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2016
This is a temporary contract employ, so there is little to no room for benefits or professional growth. Everyone is separated into cubicles, the supervisor supplies a list of parts to take documentation and if there are certificates, a data book, or all matter of test results, we make into a record book which we give to the customers insuring that the part meets with international and domestic regulations.

There are multiple levels of Management within the company, and all are incredible individuals with a wealth of knowledge, and are not afraid to share to share it.

My coworkers were, in summary, are some of the most amicable and helpful team players that you'd ever wish to meet

Bad things: I had been transferred to different locations throughout my career here, and it was usually when I was on the verge of being absorbed into the company...

Good things: I now have a reasonable bit of knowledge about the oil industry in general, both offshore and land, and met with some of the key players in the business.
Compliance Administrator
Compliance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 28, 2017
A typical day at work consists of been very productive, meeting various goals and demands, meeting deadlines and assisting others. I've learned time-management, leadership skills, customs guidelines, rules, regulations of the Oil and Gas Industry and how to apply them effectively. In addition to how to manage various ERP systems and company designed systems. Workplace culture is okay, some areas can use improvement. The hardest part of the job is when systems fail. The most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork and constant training.
doesn't look out for their people
CNC LATHE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Willis, TXFebruary 16, 2017
very long hours and hires in bursts to support the current workload, competitive pay and good benifits but when the oil field goes down thier quick to let thier people go, or buy out other companies and let all the employees go instead of continuing operations and keeping people employeed
Great compay with a poor management culture
Manager Automation and Controls (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 17, 2017
An enjoyable place to work with good benefits. Senior management lost path since last CEO retired. They more concern on internal politics than company future
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Culture change on the last 3 years
Nov
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Hours on a typical day could range every day was different. I learned a great deal over my 8 years of working at this company. A few would be Maintenance, shipping and receiving, warehouse, stock room, and many more. Management was closely knitted and kept to their kind really no room to move up at all. my Dad has been working in the same position for 20 years. They people work beside you are great people. Hardest thing about this job was the pay and the benefits are lacking. Most enjoyable was the people.
Pros
the people
Cons
pay and benefits
Good place to work with the potential to be great
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scott, LAFebruary 16, 2017
Really appreciated the bonuses until that stopped.
Good pay could be a bit better.
It's not enough advancement within the company for a good employee.
Oilfield is uncertain with layoffs.
Could take a bit more input and consideration from employees.
Feels good to work in peace, without anyone looking over your shoulder.
Someone is always available for help if you have questions about your task
Pros
good hours during busy seasons
Cons
benefits no more employee bonus or incentives
Great Job Work/Life Balance
Software QA Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMarch 9, 2017
Overall I enjoyed working for NOV. Advancement from within is high. Job security is a bit shaky due to the economy. The people and most of the management I've worked for were very down to earth and easy to talk too. The benefits were very decent.
Culture has changed - Just a number
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2016
The peers are great! There are some great team members there are only a small group of folks who carry the load. The pay is sub par. Sales professionals are not compensated for out performing others. Management is terribly disconnected with what is happening with their teams and the battles they face in market place. It is very hard to advance since the change in culture. Senior management has more concern on internal politics than supporting client needs. The under performers and treated as equals to the top 1%.
Pros
Job is a cake walk if you are a top performer.
Cons
Very little reward for out performing.
High stress high demand work place with typically long hours.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2016
An enjoyable place to work that provides employees with the benefits required to take care of themselves and their families. Compensation is fair, and entry level work is fairly uncomplicated but offers abundant learning opportunities.

Management is probably the strongest aspect of the company, they have their heads in the game so to speak and are quite competent.
Pros
Great leadership and market dependent room for advancement
Cons
Short lunches and long hours for entry level personnel
Assembly Mechanic
Assembly Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 25, 2017
Great work environment. Management are reasonable and fair. Competitive wages. Safe work environment. Co-workers are great. Location is nice. Pay is reliable.
Pros
Opportunity fr advancement
Cons
Tulsa, OK location closed
Really great place to work
IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2017
NOV is a small, stable and growing company.
Management was great and the work was not overwhelming.

They have many locations in Houston with headquarters off Beechnut, which is a stretch if you're driving from North of Houston.

There is no flexibility of which office you are allowed to work, even if you can do your work from anywhere.

Compensation is ok.
Pros
Great camaraderie, excellent bonus and benefits
Cons
Not very flexible, low base pay
Working at NOV
Warranty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 9, 2017
Working at NOV has been the best years of my life. I have worked with some great people, and have been through the good times, and the bad. There have been many managers that have made a difference in my career path. The work culture varies depending on what department you are in. Over all, it is pleasant.
Life at NOV
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 2, 2017
Culture continues to decline. It gains growth through acquisition more so than engineering services or product supplier.
Does not offer competative rates and expects flexiibility
No clear career path, chaos, instability
Reevaluate where the company wastes money and invest in good employees
Lacks diversity, employment not based on qualifications but who you know
basic large corporation
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2017
Workday started at 5;00am with a toolbox meeting.
Ran large manual lathes and manual VTLs primarily roughing out for heat treat.
did some finish lathe work.
Then moved back to CNC horizontal boring mills.
Was moved to new location at company that was purchased.
Pros
Good co-worker relationships
Cons
Long commute. Long hours and long work weeks. management changed .
Good company, if you are okay with limited growth
Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 17, 2016
Work/life balance is good. Management has good intentions for you to spend time with your family. I always had work that needed to be done and have consistently completed my work in the highest quality possible on time. However, I have gone extensively out of my way to show my manager that I am ready to advance to the next step in my career, but have only been met with reasons why they can not make the opportunity available to me. Management does what I would consider an okay job, however could be vastly improved by not using the "wing it" approach. My coworkers are all good, hard working, individuals who have always treated me with respect. Parts of the job I enjoyed the most are the times when I have been allowed to include my ideas and work with my group to implement them. The hardest part of my job is going the extra mile knowing that it will go unnoticed.
Pros
Good culture with a strong team effort
Cons
Limited to no growth, repetitiveness
Service Scheduler
Service Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2016
Worked there for 10 years and started from ground up. Advanced within the company very quickly and compensated very well. Management is very good. Best company I have ever work for.
Pros
Very good benefits and salary
Cons
oil field fluctuates
Very Big Company, You feel you are just a number
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 28, 2016
Low pay is not balanced by job security. Management does not necessarily have customer's best interest in mind, especially smaller customers who are, comparatively, not making large orders. Internationally, NOV will cut out middle man, if at all possible, regardless effort and ethical issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

84%