National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Fun
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee), Sunset, TXMay 27, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: pay
most enjoyable job I have ever had I experienced a lot and even had my own office. but the pay itself was not that great and the hours even worse
It was a job.
Machinist (Former Employee), Pampa, TXMay 26, 2015
It was a good training experience. You learn to improvise and hold tight tolerance with worn out equipment. Not a very secure company to work for.
Challenging environment in part due to molding many acquisitions of complimentary companies with various cultures into one entrpirse.
Lead Business Architect and Lean Leader (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 24, 2015
My position at NOV allowed me to work with all levels of employees within numerous geographical locations both domestically and overseas. I was fortunate to be part or an outstanding work group which continually went the extra mile to assist the entire team in being successful.
Great work environment with small compensation
Network Engineer (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2015
The environment is great however the compensation is not up to standard with competitors. Management is competent however workers should benefit more.
very good place to work
QUALITY CONTROL & TESTING MANAGER (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2015
I enjoyed working at NO. It gave me a chance to grow and advance my career. I would go back to NO. and work again. Team work place.
N/A
Process Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 21, 2015
National Oilwell Varco is an extremely large company that grew quicker than its management. It is currently in the stages of getting practices and work flows compatible with its company size.
Great training program
MD Totco (Former Employee), Tyler TxMay 20, 2015
Pros: company truck, training
Cons: inconsistant work hours.
Business was dependent on sales people, and competition was fierce between companies. Job required employees to be on call 24 hours a day, and most calls were in the evening and early morning hours.
A fulfilling experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Conroe, TXMay 19, 2015
I enjoyed going to work every day. At a time when Oil sector jobs are losing their security, NOV maintained a tradition of investing in technology. I see other oil companies adopting strange work ethics learned from cultures that value the American Worker but can't understand our work culture and destroying productivity as a result, but NOV has maintained the culture it has grown for over a century in the oil industry. Lunches with co-workers were frequent and our department would set up a grill a couple times a month and grill out instead. Employees from other departments were easy to access and frequently helpful. My managers always listened to my suggestions and I felt able to contribute as a result.
always able to advance in the cpmpany
Production Sales Manager (Former Employee), Elk City, OKMay 19, 2015
started in inside sales and was able to advance to outside sales then promoted to production sales manager after 1 1/2 years on the job

it was a intro low pay when started but also able to advance in company with more pay
Great for training, don't compensate at market
HR Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 17, 2015
This is a great oil and gas company to "get your feet wet" but that development comes with a price. NOV pays around the 45th percentile of industry, meaning that if you're expecting compensation structures similar to that of the big O&G players, you're coming to the wrong place.

They operate in 3 distinctive business segments that all run autonomously. Autonomous is code for chaotic. There is a disconnect when it comes to company programs, processes and procedures, HSE compliance and rules... Beware.

I worked in a department that did not micro manage it's employees and that was the only thing that kept me coming back. I was able to get results and was left alone to work.
Average workplace
Momentum Engineer (Current Employee), Conroe, TXMay 15, 2015
There's not a whole lot of team bonding here. It seems like an apathetic place to work and everyone is watching one another.
Down Hole Tools
Service Technician (Former Employee), Rosenberg, TXMay 13, 2015
If in need of training nov is a good training environment to learn the trade on building and servicing of mud motors. All aspects of building are hands on and training at corporate training facility is offered to all employees.
Productive and fun place to work
Service and Sales Administrator (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 12, 2015
Typical day at work consisted of uploading documents via certification web and going onto the shop floor to give the pce technicians the paperwork they needed to test to complete a service or rental job. A few times a week scheduling pick ups with hot shot at vendors for material that was out for services like bead blast or paint. Overall a fast paced but enjoyable job where I gained a lot of knowledge on pressure control equipment.
great work place
Bilingual Technical Instructor (Former Employee), Houston TxMay 11, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: oil prices fluctuacion
Very good environment people around you shows how happy they are in this company self improvement is encouraged and supported
Great benefits, Lousy location
Assembly (Former Employee), Borger, TXMay 9, 2015
Enjoyed job but did not like location in the Texas panhandle.
Liked my boss and benefits that came with the job.

This job location was in the panhandle and there are no trees or lakes and no fishing. Which is the main reason I don't work there anymore. Too much dirt.
Thriving workplace but stressfull.
CNC OPERATOR (Current Employee), Willis, TXMay 9, 2015
Pros: co workers and learning opportunities
Cons: managment
The oil industry in general has its crazy ups and down but the down side to this company is that when the going gets tough it doesnt matter how long you have been here or how hard you have worked no one is safe.
Great opportunity
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAMay 8, 2015
Working for NOV gave me experience in customer service and a fast-paced atmosphere. The co-workers were very friendly and helpful with assisting with tasks. I highly recommend this company.
Laid back place to work.
Machinist (Former Employee), Pampa, TXMay 8, 2015
Pros: Laid back, Good people, and benefits.
Cons: Save your money for the lay offs.
Good people to work with. Make rigs and parts for the wrong country. I think you should sell at 3 or more countries is more of a safe zone. Than just one. That country backs out and you get laid off like me.I worked here 6 months and a lot of others the same day.They say it is the gas prices. But it is much deeper than. But hope the best NOV. I have friend that was laid off 4 times and called back for less money each time. The last he went into truck driving. No more lay offs. Jest a penny in your ear. Hope the best for all.
Not Fun
Mechanical Inspector (Former Employee), Orange, CAMay 8, 2015
This place needs to change the culture and management style. Good old boys club. There is no career advancement with this
company. You'll have to work overtime everyday to make a living.
Very Professional Environment
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee), Houston, TX.May 8, 2015
Pros: Very flexible with employees, Great benefits.
Cons: No cons
NOV is a great place to work. Great benefits. Very strong company.
Has a strong structure and well organized. Always training employees in every aspect, as professionally and safety.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco (NOV) is one of the world’s leading equipment and service providers to the oil and gas industry. – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Salaries