National Opinion Research Center (NORC) Employee Reviews

Nice sit down job no manual labor
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2016
I love my job but this company is HORRIBLE. They condone workplace harassment and do nothing to rid the place of it. Stuff gets stolen left and right- food, cell phones, personal belongings. Most of the supervisors don't know nothing and buttkiss and blame the ti's always!! They DONT COMMUNICATE AT ALL and everyday there's a problem with something because the lack of communication!! Raises are hilarious and they only promote those who they can take advantage of or if they like you and dont speak up against wrong doings. They outkast you if you have a brain and know your rights. They love to fire pregnant women and threaten your job even if you have written notice from a doctor. The morality and ethical treatment is hilarious and because they have NONE!!!!!! And I'm pretty sure if the contractors that hire them knew how they treat their employees they would DEFINITELY FIND SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!! The job itself awesome!! Sit down and talk and the phone all day! Easy! I've made a few good friend in thankful for (only reason they got the 3 stars) But this company DEFINITELY NEEDS to reevaluate the way they treat you!!!!!!!! Ex. They recently promoted a perverted man who makes A LOT of women uncomfortable and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE!!!!!!!! Even with NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS!!!!! And supervisors telling this man to stop...... Lawsuit waiting to happen..... And since they are relocating now they are downsizing yet still hiring!!?????? See???? No one knows nothing and they're not letting anyone know what's going on.... No consideration at all for the employees. People have kids, bills.
Pros
Convenient location
Cons
Workplace environment is a joke and has bedbugs
Worst Research Company I've worked for
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  West CoastMarch 26, 2016
In the trainings they concentrate on telling you what you should not do and punishments if you do.Regional supervisors have a reputation for being mean and most of the team managers micromanage and nickel and dime every single expense, mileage and production time.
You can tell that's the way they have been trained.
If you complain they just fire you and blacklist you.
Pros
Feeds you well in trainings
Cons
Micromanaging, plain mean
Traveling and Interacting with Respondents
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2015
One of thet largest research firm in the Country. This company is known for providing the best care for its employees.

company requirements-very attractive-require employees to treat respondents with dignity and respect-something that is certainly lacking in the work force today.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the respondents-always learned something while in their presence. The hardest part was when I had to leave many of the respondents and move on to another assignment.

I have no comment about the CEO of the company, considering I don't know him to state an approval or disapproval-I have selected No only because I want to exit this page.
Pros
Travel Perks-Per diems
Very productive
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2012
Like the office setting, not loud and friendly coworkers. I like the ability of working for different government agencies and handling different tasks like data entry and telephone interviewing and clerical tasks.
Cons
no benefits at all
I the holiday parties are the best
TELEPHONE INTERVIEWER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2015
I usually come in at 9:00 am speak to several different households through out the country to determine whether they are eligible for the National Immunization Survey. Its take about 20 to 25 minutes to complete a single interview. I collect important data from respondants so that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, state and local health bureaus can allocate funding in areas where they are needed. Hardest part of job is building a rapport with a respondant within the first 30 seconds of the call. The management and coworkers at NORC are very nice, polite, and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the day is quitting time.
Pros
I love when they offer incentives, which motivates us to do well.
Cons
No heathcare
A good, interesting, temporary part-time position
Field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Western U.S.January 4, 2013
I worked as a field interviewer. My main duties included planning and making trips into the field and/or telephoning respondents from my home office. Initial contact with respondents was with a cold visit or cold phone call; then explaining the study, persuading respondents to participate, and conducting the interview according to protocol. Also had to follow up (either in person or by phone) with respondents who had made appointments to be interviewed, or prompt and persuade resistant respondents to participate.

My direct supervisor (field manager) was very easy to work with and very helpful and supportive.

Being a field interviewer in not difficult, but one must be very organized and a self-starter, since you are working independently out of your home office. You also must not be shy about making a cold call or visit; and must be articulate enough to explain the study and why a respondent should participate in it.

For me, the least enjoyable part of the job--which I didn't have to do too often--was doing occasional in-person visits with another field interviewer. I'd rather work independently than to have to put up with another field interviewer's quirks.

Most enjoyable aspects: working out of my home independently, being able to by and large set my own schedule, doing a variety of tasks, and doing in-person interviewing in different areas of the region where I live.
Pros
norc is a very reputable organization that treats its employees fairly
Cons
no benefits and only temporary work for field interviewers

Comment – January 24, 2015

I wrote the review posted on 1/4/2013. Here is an update: I worked on a second study and had a different field manager (direct supervisor). Not a good experience. I was assigned to do field visits that were 35-50 miles away from my home, and my field manager complained about how high my travel costs were, as if they were my fault. The field manager would also complain about interviewers being unproductive--yet insisted we have either team conference calls or one-to-one calls every week, during which she had little to say of importance and was obviously trying to fill up an hour of time on each call. This field manager needed to learn to lead by example. Being a field interviewer can be an interesting experience, but as with most jobs, it depends on who your supervisor is.

Its ok.....
Telephone interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisSeptember 5, 2015
Its a good job but it can be very boring at times. You have to complete a lot of things to basically complete your task. You repeat yourself ALOT!! NOT ENOUGH HRS OR ENOUGH PAY FOT WHAT WE GO THROUGH ON THE PHONES.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Short breaks, glorified sweat shop.
NORC not as "rewarding" as it was made out to be
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2013
The promises in the ads NORC puts out sure knows how to reel you in. The big problem though is that this company falls very short on the delivery. I wouldn't take their ad for face value, if you know what I mean.
Don't expect much in the salary department. Their "competitive pay" is merely fancy wording for minimum wage. The environment is very controlled indeed, they put all of their energy in the wrong place. It seems as if management goes out of their way to see if you're committing any office crime, such as forgetting to punch time, barely overshooting on breaks or working a little too loudly(whatever that means.)
Speaking of management, they are a most conflicting bunch. It seems as though the different levels of management don't communicate with each other as well as they probably should. They do not make their guidelines for call production crystal clear. In fact, it sometimes seems as if their guidelines change on any given day. As a clerk, that makes it pretty difficult to know how to do your job, know when you're on top and when you're falling flat. They do offer the chance to have a 1-on-1 sit down to go over your stats. Unfortunately that turns out to be quite unproductive, as the person you meet with usually has no idea about the role of a production clerk, meaning they can't offer much in the way of advice or answer most questions you might have.
As for the actual work itself, in my opinion things can get a little tedious. There is little variety in regard to the kinds of tasks you perform; you're either on the phone, on the computer, or both. On the off-chance
  more... that there is another type of task available, you can pretty much forget about being considered for it if they already have you working the phones. Plus, I really didn't see many chances for true advancement during my time there. They only seemed to offer a handful of temporary projects, and once completed, it's right back to square one.
On the upside, alot of the other employees there are pretty pleasant, scheduling is quite flexible, and NORC really does have a great, easily accessible location. Just wanted to say that this was not intended as a bashing rant, so I hope it wasn't taken as such. I just wanted to try to paint a very honest picture about what kind of company this is so people would really know what they were walking into if considering employment here.
Pros
schedule flexibility, the location really is great
Cons
mediocre/flawed management, mundane work, minimal pay, very few chances for real advancement
Very contradicting job
Phone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2015
They tell us we are not doing telemarketing, but however you look at it, it is telemarketing. We are trying to make people conduct a survey against their will and no matter how many times they tell us "no" we continue to call them back. I try not to complain because a job is a job, but they are ridiculous.
Pros
Make your own schedule, in the loop area
Cons
repetitive work
Greatttttt company
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  baltimore mdOctober 29, 2014
great company pays well! Management is very supportive. Best company I've ever worked for
Pros
great pay
Cons
not enough hours
Not a Long-Term Company Position
Professional Telephone Interviwer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2013
For me this place thee pits!! I took it as a means to generate some income after being unemployed for some time but after being there for a short time I knew my time there was coming to an end. I worked as a professional telephone interviewer for minimum wage, most people you call don't want to be bothered and others can be nasty and mean. There are production goals so you have to do somewhat well and also reading verbatim is crucial. Attendance is what can get you axed but they have a system where you create your schedule and trade hours, so it is possible to pick up more hours. Some people from management are nice, but the rest seem to be angry about life! Team leads walk the call center floor to watch you which made me feel uncomfortable - you can't read anything besides your own notes and no phones are allowed on the floor-of course people do. You get 6 minutes for every hour worked and there is 4 hour shift requirement. Minimum of 16 hours for each work week is required. Not much time to do anything considering it is on the 14th and 16th floor, and it takes like 3 minutes to get to the lower level in the elevator to get food/drink.

Bottom line, if you are a student and need a flexible work schedule, then this is it. If you are looking for second job, this could work.

There are other opportunities for you to do other things within the company, most still require for you to be on the phone.
Pros
flexible, make your own hours
Cons
short breaks, too many unnecessary rules
Controled Enviroment
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2012
For one thing these are temporary jobs not permanent. They dock you for any bathroom time over 6 minutes. I never heard of such a thing the wages are minumum and you are expected to reach a quota this is more like a sweatshop than a job. Run away from this place it not worth it.
Cons
low wages not a full time job
okay place
Phone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2014
This is a great atmosphere to work in but very strict policies on attendance and in job decorum.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
not enough hours
Not Challenging
Phone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2012
Sat at a computer cold calling individuals to complete the National Immunization Survey on behalf of the CDC.
Pros
enjoyed people i worked with.
Cons
was not using skills which i gained in college.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Opinion Research Center (NORC). Our community is ready to answer.

2.8