National Opinion Research Center (NORC) Employee Review

View all National Opinion Research Center (NORC) reviews

Not a Long-Term Company Position
Professional Telephone Interviwer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2013
For me this place thee pits!! I took it as a means to generate some income after being unemployed for some time but after being there for a short time I knew my time there was coming to an end. I worked as a professional telephone interviewer for minimum wage, most people you call don't want to be bothered and others can be nasty and mean. There are production goals so you have to do somewhat well and also reading verbatim is crucial. Attendance is what can get you axed but they have a system where you create your schedule and trade hours, so it is possible to pick up more hours. Some people from management are nice, but the rest seem to be angry about life! Team leads walk the call center floor to watch you which made me feel uncomfortable - you can't read anything besides your own notes and no phones are allowed on the floor-of course people do. You get 6 minutes for every hour worked and there is 4 hour shift requirement. Minimum of 16 hours for each work week is required. Not much time to do anything considering it is on the 14th and 16th floor, and it takes like 3 minutes to get to the lower level in the elevator to get food/drink.

Bottom line, if you are a student and need a flexible work schedule, then this is it. If you are looking for second job, this could work.

There are other opportunities for you to do other things within the company, most still require for you to be on the phone.
Pros
flexible, make your own hours
Cons
short breaks, too many unnecessary rules

Other National Opinion Research Center (NORC) Employee Reviews

Nice environment with friendly people.
Professional Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2017
Overall it wasn't a bad place to work. I just wasn't happy with the way management did the promotions. I qualified to get one after my 6 month review but they gave it to someone else who I believe was less qualified. I was very good at that job and liked that it was on behalf of the CDC.
Pros
Free coffee all day!
Cons
Have to clock out for bathroom breaks.
If you like to feel like you're in jail this is the job for you
Peer Helper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2017
You only get 30 hours a week. It's always someone hovering over you while you're taking a call. It's way too many rules and favorites.