National Public Radio Employee Reviews

Great company but development shop is still coming together
Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 25, 2017
Great company, beautiful place to work. Fun atmosphere to be around a functioning news room. Development shop is in transition and dealing with trying to match it's revenue goals with size of the brand.
fast paced, collaborative, cut-throat, smart
Supervising Editor, National Desk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2017
fast paced, collaborative, cut-throat, smart, passive-aggressive, creative, smart colleagues as well as colleagues who feel they are simply entitled. Great place to share and get feedback on both good and bad ideas. Great place for intellectual stimulation on a wide swath of subjects.
Pros
Creative, collaborative
Cons
cut-throat, favoratism
Bright co workers and interesting assignments
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 29, 2017
A challenging place to work full of bright and engaged colleagues. Very accessible management and very dedicated staff. Can be very rewarding at times as you feel your work definitely makes a material contribution.
The Gold Standard for American Radio
Environment Reporter/Correspondent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2017
NPR is stressful, competitive, fast-paced and relentless. It's also the gold standard for American radio. It's packed full of talented, ambitious, mostly wonderful people.

Thanks to the effective union there, the pay and benefits are fair.

I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
Burning out.
Npr
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2017
A typical day at NPR was very busy reporters were always on deadline and needed IT support. I learned how to work in a fast past environment and manage my work loud and multi task. the Work place culture was relax.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  KUAR- Little Rock, ARJune 2, 2017
I did a volunteer hosting segment that I had several years ago. I cannot verify if working for KUAR-NPR was a good experience or not because I never worked for the company. But I LOVE THE RADIO STATION!
I love NPR!
News Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2017
To date, my experience at NPR has been wonderful! I love the mission and management has been completely supportive of being so far during my time here.
Most creative, mission-oriented and hard-working pros I've ever worked with
Assistant Producer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2016
Hands down, this was the best job I ever had in journalism.

It was an honor to work among (and learn SO much from) some of the best talent in radio and online journalism out there.

Creativity and fresh ideas were/are cachet at NPR.

NPR has its share of back-stabbing co-workers and those who shamelessly seek out the approval of high-profile hosts and upper management -- and entree into the cliques on the most notable shows.

That part of the work culture/ethos was balanced out by such smart and mostly generous and helpful colleagues. And people were fun and funny when the pressure was too much.

I was lucky to learn the trade by arguably some of the best in the biz.
Pros
The culture of creativity that sharpened my skills and thinking.
Cons
The starstruck power-lovers who knifed their colleagues to get in good with management.
Smart people to work with, engaging work.
Director of Sales, Marketing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2016
NPR is a great place to work, The work is engaging and people are very smart and the culture open to new and innovative ideas. A typical day is busy and hectic, Also this is a non-profit organization that relies heavily on funding from the Government and so do the customers (stations and producers) we serve. THere is little advancement for promotion. This is the hardest part of the job, because they are always increasing the workload, laying off staff and not replacing them. The people are the most enjoyable part of the job. Love my staff.
Pros
Great cafeteria, gym and health center on site
Cons
No diversity in higher management
Fantastic place to grow professionally.
Community Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2016
NPR is a company that invests deeply in its people and its product. It is dedicated to the principles of journalism and organizational integrity.
Work Environment
Service Desk Analyst Temp (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 15, 2016
- Everyday you get to learn something new.
- Professional staff.
- Team work is must.
- Meeting the deadline is necessary.
Plays a uniquely impartial role in U.S. journalism
Contributor - Freelance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
NPR stands head and shoulders above for-profit media in terms of accuracy, impartiality and scope. However, as a consortium of member stations rather than a true network, it's sometimes hard to navigate the corporate culture.
Productive and learned a lot.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
I enjoyed my time as a volunteer at this establishment because I learned and progressed every day. Learning the ins and out of radio was the best experience in my life.
Pros
Just learning the radio business
Cons
N/a
Fun and productive environment
Newsroom Intern - from (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2016
I was only an intern so I spent a typical work day learning from different journalists at the radio station how to do their jobs.

Management was very helpful and instructive. My co-workers were supportive and interesting to get to know.
Pros
Dynamic, young and fun environment
Cons
Very cramped work space
Exciting company to work for!
Interim AO Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2016
Very interesting place to work; the staff is awesome. I learned a lot here. I enjoyed going to work everyday. A very nice place to work.
Great and fun place to work
Internship - iOS Mobile Developer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2016
As an intern here, I learned so much and felt like a part of the time. I wrote code that is now live on the iOS application and that is due to the company giving me the opportunity to do so.
Nope. Don't do it!
Producer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2015
Not a good place to go if you're looking for job security. Not always a fun place to work. Not much job advancement. Salary's not great.
Managers are mostly not competent. The worse part? Everybody assumes it's a "great" place to work, and the people are "public radio nice." In a word? Not.
Pros
Interesting Projects
Cons
See above.
Job security is not good here.
Senior Manager, Training, Recruiting and Events (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCNovember 19, 2015
I worked here for 33 years. Met life long friends. The organization has changed so much. There are some very dedicated people that work in this organization.
Pros
Great offices
Cons
No job security
Great work place
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
I have been with npr for more than 6 years now and absolutely love my workplace and the team I work with.
The management is very understanding of their workers desire to move forward with their career
Continuous learning experience from current events and new technology.
Producer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2015
The most rewarding aspect of working for a national broadcast organization was learning new things and helping reporters convey compelling stories to the public on a daily basis. Being able to help others and the ability to assist reporters with research, content editing and production to finalize stories for broadcast was very rewarding. Having the ability to manage my job priorities and constantly meeting deadlines helped sharpen my time management skills. The most enjoyable part of my job was collaborating with colleagues to produce excellent broadcast quality, award winning production molded my excellent oral and written communication skills. Gaining the support and confidence from colleagues to handle sensitive information
Pros
Excellent health benefits and a pleasant work environment.
Cons
Limited opportunities to cross train on other positions.