National Public Radio Employee Reviews

Smart people to work with, engaging work.
Director of Sales, Marketing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2016
NPR is a great place to work, The work is engaging and people are very smart and the culture open to new and innovative ideas. A typical day is busy and hectic, Also this is a non-profit organization that relies heavily on funding from the Government and so do the customers (stations and producers) we serve. THere is little advancement for promotion. This is the hardest part of the job, because they are always increasing the workload, laying off staff and not replacing them. The people are the most enjoyable part of the job. Love my staff.
Pros
Great cafeteria, gym and health center on site
Cons
No diversity in higher management
Fantastic place to grow professionally.
Community Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2016
NPR is a company that invests deeply in its people and its product. It is dedicated to the principles of journalism and organizational integrity.
Work Environment
Service Desk Analyst Temp (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 15, 2016
- Everyday you get to learn something new.
- Professional staff.
- Team work is must.
- Meeting the deadline is necessary.
Plays a uniquely impartial role in U.S. journalism
Contributor - Freelance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
NPR stands head and shoulders above for-profit media in terms of accuracy, impartiality and scope. However, as a consortium of member stations rather than a true network, it's sometimes hard to navigate the corporate culture.
Productive and learned a lot.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
I enjoyed my time as a volunteer at this establishment because I learned and progressed every day. Learning the ins and out of radio was the best experience in my life.
Pros
Just learning the radio business
Cons
N/A
Fun and productive environment
Newsroom Intern - from (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2016
I was only an intern so I spent a typical work day learning from different journalists at the radio station how to do their jobs.

Management was very helpful and instructive. My co-workers were supportive and interesting to get to know.
Pros
Dynamic, young and fun environment
Cons
Very cramped work space
Exciting company to work for!
Interim AO Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2016
Very interesting place to work; the staff is awesome. I learned a lot here. I enjoyed going to work everyday. A very nice place to work.
Great and fun place to work
Internship - iOS Mobile Developer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2016
As an intern here, I learned so much and felt like a part of the time. I wrote code that is now live on the iOS application and that is due to the company giving me the opportunity to do so.
Nope. Don't do it!
Producer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2015
Not a good place to go if you're looking for job security. Not always a fun place to work. Not much job advancement. Salary's not great.
Managers are mostly not competent. The worse part? Everybody assumes it's a "great" place to work, and the people are "public radio nice." In a word? Not.
Pros
Interesting Projects
Cons
See above.
Job security is not good here.
Senior Manager, Training, Recruiting and Events (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCNovember 19, 2015
I worked here for 33 years. Met life long friends. The organization has changed so much. There are some very dedicated people that work in this organization.
Pros
Great offices
Cons
No job security
Great work place
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
I have been with npr for more than 6 years now and absolutely love my workplace and the team I work with.
The management is very understanding of their workers desire to move forward with their career
Continuous learning experience from current events and new technology.
Producer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2015
The most rewarding aspect of working for a national broadcast organization was learning new things and helping reporters convey compelling stories to the public on a daily basis. Being able to help others and the ability to assist reporters with research, content editing and production to finalize stories for broadcast was very rewarding. Having the ability to manage my job priorities and constantly meeting deadlines helped sharpen my time management skills. The most enjoyable part of my job was collaborating with colleagues to produce excellent broadcast quality, award winning production molded my excellent oral and written communication skills. Gaining the support and confidence from colleagues to handle sensitive information
Pros
Excellent health benefits and a pleasant work environment.
Cons
Limited opportunities to cross train on other positions.
Unique culture
G/L Accountant (Current Employee) –  1111 North Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20002September 18, 2014
NPR definitely is the most unique company i work for. The work environment is very nurturing, co-workers are very intelligent and well manners.
A great mix of professional and casual
Washington Desk Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
This internship provides you with a large amount of useful amount of professional experience regarding politics and policy, along with networking opportunities. You are given the opportunity to write for the All About Politics blog, as well as typical intern duties that include transcribing audio, gathering audio in the field, and scheduling interviews.
Nice place to
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2014
NPR is a nice place to work but they have too many mid-level managers who do not value the staff as they should.
Pros
Great employees and atmosphere
Cons
There are too many cliques within the management structure of NPR.
Exciting Oppurtunities
House Commons Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 10, 2014
Great place to develop and career or just get our feet wet
Amazing and supportive staff
Welcoming atmosphere
Great opportunities to develop friendships in and outside of the work place
Pros
meeting radio and other celebs
Cons
planning skills low
great staff
Data Entry Clerk (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2014
I was a temporary worker and wasn't made to feel any less than one of the team.
Great benefits but very disorganized
IT Staff Technologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2013
I enjoyed my experienced work-wise as I was able to learn a lot and also got the chance to meet with great staff, including hosts.
Unfortunately poor management and lack of structure in my department did not allow us to be as efficient as we could have been.
Pros
Benefits, great personalities
Cons
Poor management, lack of structure / planning
Most enjoyable company for my internship experience.
Distribution, Marketing, & Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2013
Most cultural and diverse environment to work for. The co-workers are amazing there and very welcoming. They bring a lot of ideas together. Teamwork is significant and very emphasized in the Distribution Department. I was impressed with the feeling of teamwork while I was doing my internship there.
Npr
Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washingting DCAugust 28, 2013
My duties included identifying shipments of equipment and parts, finding corresponding purchase orders, payment for deliveries, placing machine readable identifing labels on equipment, and keying information into tracking database. I had to engrave some company equipment. Help set up and break down sound equipment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Public Radio. Our community is ready to answer.