National Renewable Energy Laboratory

National Renewable Energy Laboratory Employer Reviews

NREL
NREL Analyst/Web Developer/Environmental Policy (Current Employee), Golden, COMarch 25, 2014
NREL is a great organization rich with intellectual minds working on a great mission: to walk the talk in creating renewable energy and reducing our carbon footprint.
Terrible place to work...
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Golden COSeptember 23, 2013
Cons: management, pay, hazardous environment, racist, classist, no advancement, no accountability, no regard for safety, no regard for the law
The shipping and receiving department is not operating within DOT regulations. The delivery trucks do not have DOT numbers on them. Hazardous materials are being transported on public roads without being in compliance with DOT regulations. Delivery drivers are forced to drive illegally, or face retaliatory action. Any company that is blatantly operating – more... illegally is not a company worth working for. This can be verified by calling the local DOT office. – less
Great place to have a career!!!
Multifunction Device Technician (Current Employee), Golden, ColoradoMarch 26, 2013
Pros: benefits, hours, being a part of such a great mission
Cons: n/a
It's an amazing place to work! I love NREL and what it stands for. Truly making our world a better place. I've been able to gain an abundant amount of knowledge and have been guided by a couple of the best managers I've ever had. I don't have a bad thing thing to say about the place I work.
Great workplace with flexible schedule, but standard worries for working for a government with financial issues
Energy Analyst Student-RPP (Former Employee), Golden, COFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: can work from home 1 or 2 days a week. flexible schedule
Cons: pay freeze and contract employment to start.
I enjoyed working there. There is a lot of beurocracy, but the company is great to work for. Most new hires get hired on as contractors or temporary to hire, and there has been a pay increase freeze for the last while, but they are expanding the number of workers on campus. The hours are relatively flexible and the workspace is very nice.
Great environment, great minds
Research Engineer (Current Employee), Golden, COJuly 25, 2012
Pros: work environment, active lifestyle, flexible schedule, appreciative management, cutting edge research
Cons: typical government contract salary, not as competitive as private industry
I'm shocked at some of the reviews about NREL here. Fortunately, poor work and poor effort are not rewarded here. As a new employee, the first thing I was told was that they were there to support me in my personal and professional goals and that I should come first. I've never worked in a place with such an employee-oriented environment. The work hours – more... are standard but flexible schedules are encouraged and supported. Managers and Center Directors are involved and encouraging without micromanaging. Relevant, quality research is in no danger of short funding. There is an active and social culture amongst everyone I've come across. Overall, with the frustrations that come along with the research process, and the mangement at NREL, it's my favorite place to have worked. I'm thankful for my employment here and hope to stay for the rest of my career! – less
Chaotic Circus
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Golden, COJuly 23, 2012
Pros: compensation is good for the area.
Cons: promotions non-exsistant, work life balance not good in my group.
Poorly supported by the DoE. DoE treats NREL employees like the second rate citizens (contractors) they are.
very political, everyone trying to justifie their jobs
Senior Technician (Former Employee), Golden, COJuly 18, 2012
you always had to worry about the way you look to someone else and not graded on the quality of work you do
Great People and friendly place
Service Operations Technician - NREL (Former Employee), Golden, ColoradoJune 12, 2012
Pros: stable
Cons: no advancement options for the first 5 years
Working for NREL is a great place to work if you are looking for a static stable place to work.
Great place to work.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Golden, COMay 3, 2012
Pros: great culture
Cons: funded by the department of energy
Working on green energy is so important to us. Some of our greatest minds at work trying to help our planet.