National Safety Council Employee Reviews

Excellent workplace
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roselle, ILAugust 3, 2017
Enjoyable and lucrative experience. Managed well. Great staff. Competitive pay. Would recommend to others. Would have stayed but relocated. Enjoyed working with the hours provided and the people.
A place that really cares about its employees
Inside sales role presenting (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 1, 2017
The safety culture is pretty amazing. Overall I have never experienced a more inviting atmosphere in a workplace than what you'll find at NSC..National Safety Council.

The Council puts on the largest safety show in the world, which in itself is a massive undertaking. A real meaningful opportunity.
Fun and rewarding
Alive@25 Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gray, MEApril 17, 2017
The National Safety Council is a great organization to work for. They are constantly finding new methods for their employees to use in promoting safety in the workplace, at home or on the countries highways.
I have the privilege of working with young adult drivers and sharing with them safe driving practices. It is very rewarding when you see the student that "get's it" and you know you have made a difference in that young persons life.
Unfortunately, there is sometimes that one individual that no matter what you say, just won't listen. That is the hard part of the job.
Pros
Rewarding when the student "gets it"
Cons
The student that won't listen
Fulfilling teamwork
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 3, 2017
NSC is a great place to work as long as you only want a Part time employment. The most enjoyable part of our jobs is knowing that we are working towards change.
good place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 2, 2017
The things I most enjoyed is that there is constant change in what you do day to day.The company is very into making sure that your surroundings that you are working i are safe for all employees which was nice.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
health care
no comment
Telephony Administrator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMarch 22, 2017
Professionalism and Work Ethic will not allow me to comment on this Organization.Unfortunately, there is nothing to say about this or any Organization
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Grant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2016
I learned a lot from my first real-world job experience. I was thrilled to travel around the country teaching workshops on asthma and attending conferences. It was a perfect job for me as a single adult.
Slow burn...
project manager (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILMarch 19, 2016
This place feels like a great environment but you will burn out - some earlier than others, but eventually it's hard to sustain the momentum and motivation when you have very little chance of advancing and constantly having to push creativity and new ideas to the back burner.
Pros
flexibility, decent benefits for nonprofit; chance to try new things (work a lot for others)
Cons
no advancement potential
Fun and rewarding
Safety & Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 14, 2015
I enjoy meeting new individuals with conflicts or problems that I am able to help resolve, with work place training or personal consultations the staff and management are great to work with and to assist with in large projects. .
Great Mission - old guard management
Product Specialist/EHS Lead-Ergonomics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILAugust 11, 2015
I love working for The NSC because they have a fantastic mission of helping people. The culture is changing for the better, but there are still some old guard managers that either need more training or relocating.
Great learning environment; not well structured
versions to Media Director and content expert (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILAugust 9, 2015
Learn lots of wonderful things. The organization does nice work, but the overall structure and culture of the organization is inefficient. Many employees task are not aligned with the skill sets.
Good folks, interesting company, nice mission.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 30, 2015
Nice gig if you can get it. Part-time employees are limited to how much they can teach and this makes it a bit rough, although the class is 8 hours long, so how many can you do before you go nuts?

New program is very good and hopefully it'll be redone before 20 years go by as was the case with the last one. This is not to be critical, but things change in 20 years.
Pros
Constant work demand
Cons
Very harsh a/v monitoring by NSC management.
Quiet but fun workplace with a relentless focus on quality
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 18, 2014
I enjoyed working at the National Safety Council because of the nature of my job (survey research and report writing), but also the culture of our group. I would describe the culture as one big family. I have a great deal of respect for our whole team at the NSC. Everyone was always so nice, helpful and professional. I would say the hardest part of my job was to leave. As a recent graduate, I was looking to grow my knowledge, skills, and responsibilities at a faster pace. The most enjoyable part was the actual day to day work I had the privilege to engage in.
Pros
Monthly gatherings in the lunch room, great medical benefits, overall sense of leadership
Cons
Limited room for increased responsibilties
Very stressful and unethical culture
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Itasca, IlMay 15, 2014
Extremely high turnover. I worked here most of my life and in the last few years this company has gone through amazing transformation in a bad way. Employee reviews changed from twelve months to six. They are directed from the top management and in many cases used to terminate staff. In the last few years it is common place to get yelled at by managers and terminated for no reason. This went from a good company to the the worst company ever. I would advise anyone considering a position here to avoid this company at all cost.
Pros
Basic benifits and fair work conditions
Cons
Upper management is the worst
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 24, 2014
Part time work. Little contact with management and a mostly computer generated assignment schedule from a good supportive support staff.
Pros
Part time work
Cons
Part time work
Part time weekend position - fun job
Part-time Instructor, Massachusetts Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 20, 2013
This was a part time job. I taught a defensive driving class 2-3 times per month. The NSC is a great org.
Good work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Deerfield beach July 13, 2013
Helping customers complete their class requirements, this job required good communication skills.
The NSC is a great place to work and is committed to their mission statement.
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2012
The National Safety Council, SFC is a great workplace for anyone who likes diversified responsibilities and wants to be involved in all aspects of the organization. You must be passionate about workplace occupational safety and feel comfortable joining many coalitions.
Pros
great management, flexibility
Cons
no job security
Doing work that made a difference in the lives of real people
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2012
The work was interesting and important in saving lifes. I was able to work on a wide variety of safety and health issues for various audiences.
Managers are horrible
Product Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMarch 8, 2012
I worked there on a temporary basis and the manager I worked with was HORRIBLE!!!! Managment is aware that she is a problem and choose to do absolutely nothing about her.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Safety Council. Our community is ready to answer.