National Science Foundation Employee Reviews in United States

student work via obtained grant
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 20, 2016
I cannot say anything over the company itself, because i was paid through a grant. I had no direct correlation with the Foundation, other than getting paid.
My Day at Work
Management Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 26, 2015
As a Management Operations Assistant, I supported a group of sixty-plus professionals with secretarial support and payroll support.
Nice location and building but the management is unpredictable.
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 18, 2015
Nice place to build skills. Learn skills and move on. Advancement depends on the manager you are assigned to. Co-workers are really pleasant to work with. There are a lot of rotating employees.
Awesome Experience organized workers
Supplemental Instruction Leader of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2015
Stress free work place awesome coworkers. Very understanding management. Gained a lot of experience working here. Company worked very closely with University, there was not any disorganization with the whole process and how the program was run.
NSF is a nice place to work...
Intern/Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 30, 2015
I've worked for NSF (National Science Foundation) back in 2012 as an Intern and I had a blast. I worked at the one located in Arlington near Ballston mall. I did a variety of office administrative duties which includes: retiring old jackets (files) using eRMS, reviewing end the year proposals, creating flyers, using Outlook, transferring calls, coordinating events, ordering office supplies, and kept track of office supplies (inventory). The pay was very good too ($13 hr/40 hr work week), metro subsidy, friendly environment, no stress, and loved the fact that I could go to the mall on my lunch break :D Only thing I didn't like was that my manager didn't want to hire me on as a regular full-time employee with NSF.
Pros
Near the mall, friendly environment
Nice people
Records Management Specialist (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 30, 2015
I'm a contractor that feels like a permanent employee because of my employers and co-workers. I have only been here for four months, but I do like my experiences here.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Old building
Great research!
HR Organizational Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 17, 2014
A typical day varies! I work on a wide variety of tasks from facilitations projects, designing evaluations and leading projects.
Great opportunity to work on a national research study that collects data about how american feel about thing that matter to them such as gender roles
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to travel to parts of the country I would not ordinarily travel to. I learn a lot about how people feel about different things that affect life in America such as gender roles, race, religion, immigration, Supreme Court decisions, confidence in the leaders of our major institutions, etc.

The hardest part of the job is experiencing how much apathy exist within the ranks of government.
Pros
i plan my own schedule
Cons
projects are interim and short term
Great
Graduate Student Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAAugust 26, 2014
Wonderful place to work. Extremely supportive and trusting environment
Don't work here
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 17, 2014
If you are applying to any single digit GS-Position IE GS-5 or 9. The NSF has a hire many keep one policy. So what starts out as a great career with a great review half thought one's first year turns out to be a nightmare as they let people go on mass for no valid reason other than the policy and the way they will tell you is more or less at the last minute.
Pros
generally the people who don't make personel decisions are good people and great to work with.
Cons
see review
Problem Solving and Teamwork
Business Process and Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 13, 2014
The greatest aspect of working at the agency is the team of people I work with every day. The level of commitment to quality work and bonds of trust built over the last several years have been fundamental in my professional growth.

Anytime someone needs something, they know they can come to me and I can at least point them in the right direction if I can't immediately resolve the issue. I get calls all day, from SharePoint troubleshooting to solutions for mysterious MS Office issues and workarounds, and I love being able to support my team. They know they can come to me for anything, and that I don't consider any question stupid. Every technical mystery is just an adventure we get to share and commiserate about afterward. Anytime I need anything from my team, I know can count on their support just as well.

I've never worked with a better team of people in all of my years in the workforce.
Pros
the people
Cons
overlapping/competing priorities are a regular challenge
A rewarding experience that enabled me to help government employees.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 11, 2014
While a Systems Analyst at The National Science Foundation, I collaborated within a team to greatly improve the overall productivity of the organization while supporting over 1000 end users.
Great Federal Agency to work for
Management Analyst/Small Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 21, 2014
The Federal Governments bet kept secret....a very good agency to work for. Small an intimate where everyone knows each other but large enough for growth
Pros
very good place to work
Program Specialist/ Division Secretary
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 4, 2014
I arrive at work at 7 am and Leave a 5 p.m. My typical day is make sure my Division Director is taken care for the day. Make sure her calendar is up to day with all her meeting . I learn something different everyday when come to my job. My co- worker are great people who we share a great bond. The hardest part of my day is been two people sometimes. My most enjoyable part of the day is working with great people and make sure that work got done for the day.
Pros
team member, supervisior, metro
Cons
n/a
Opportunity to learn
Program Assistant (STEP) (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 28, 2014
NSF has provided me with the opportunity to expand my administrative skill sets while also improving upon my internal and external customer service.

A typical day in the office requires me to complete travel/expense reports, manage conference room schedules, monitor time and attendance, and assist all individuals via phone, email, or face to face.
Pros
flexible work hours
Fed Gov't
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 9, 2014
very up to date with technology or being inventive in new software programs.
Very Productive and good place to work with great co-workers and a great supervisor
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2013
•a typical day at work
A typical work day would consist of maintaining constant communication with the scientific community via email and phone, collect ,evaluate, and update information from a variety of sources, coordinate and process group and staff travel thru the NSF travel system, and creating and monitoring budget spreadsheets for my various programs and reconcile my budget spreadsheets for my program directors review.

•what you learned
I come from a medical work background, so working at the National Science Foundation I have to to learn alot concerning working with big budgets and serious deadlines.

•management
Management could be a little better with upper mobility with-in the divisions.

•your co-workers
I work with some of the best people. My co-workers are always there when a helping hand is needed. They are always willing to share their knowledge.

•the hardest part of the job
The hardest part of my job is trying to give everybody everything they want or need when it's all needed at the same time.

•the most enjoyable part of the job
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great co-workers.
Pros
healthcare, great learning experience reading researchers proposals, co-workers
Cons
some of the science programs have rotating program officers so, i'm constantly learning and having to ajust to someones working style often.
Productive and fun
Program Assistant GS (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 28, 2013
Productive and fun place to work. Long hours twice a year. Nice people.
Wonderful agency
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 2, 2013
Conducting research to bring funds back to the government by closing out contracts.

To pay attention to detail and back up your files.

Stellar

Wonderful and Smart

Retiring files

The satisfaction of knowing that my job means something for our country.
Productive work place
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 13, 2013
The work enviroment is fun and very rewarding. I have learned alot while working here

4.4