National Science Foundation

National Science Foundation Employer Reviews

Problem Solving and Teamwork
Business Process and Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 13, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: overlapping/competing priorities are a regular challenge
The greatest aspect of working at the agency is the team of people I work with every day. The level of commitment to quality work and bonds of trust built over the last several years have been fundamental in my professional growth.

Anytime someone needs something, they know they can come to me and I can at least point them in the right direction if – more... I can't immediately resolve the issue. I get calls all day, from SharePoint troubleshooting to solutions for mysterious MS Office issues and workarounds, and I love being able to support my team. They know they can come to me for anything, and that I don't consider any question stupid. Every technical mystery is just an adventure we get to share and commiserate about afterward. Anytime I need anything from my team, I know can count on their support just as well.

I've never worked with a better team of people in all of my years in the workforce. – less
A rewarding experience that enabled me to help government employees.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJune 11, 2014
While a Systems Analyst at The National Science Foundation, I collaborated within a team to greatly improve the overall productivity of the organization while supporting over 1000 end users.
Great Federal Agency to work for
Management Analyst/Small Business Specialist (Former Employee), Arlington, VAApril 21, 2014
Pros: very good place to work
The Federal Governments bet kept secret....a very good agency to work for. Small an intimate where everyone knows each other but large enough for growth
Program Specialist/ Division Secretary
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Arlington, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: team member, supervisior, metro
Cons: n/a
I arrive at work at 7 am and Leave a 5 p.m. My typical day is make sure my Division Director is taken care for the day. Make sure her calendar is up to day with all her meeting . I learn something different everyday when come to my job. My co- worker are great people who we share a great bond. The hardest part of my day is been two people sometimes. – more... My most enjoyable part of the day is working with great people and make sure that work got done for the day. – less
Opportunity to learn
Program Assistant (STEP) (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
NSF has provided me with the opportunity to expand my administrative skill sets while also improving upon my internal and external customer service.

A typical day in the office requires me to complete travel/expense reports, manage conference room schedules, monitor time and attendance, and assist all individuals via phone, email, or face to face.
Fed Gov't
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 9, 2014
very up to date with technology or being inventive in new software programs.
Very Productive and good place to work with great co-workers and a great supervisor
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2013
Pros: healthcare, great learning experience reading researchers proposals, co-workers
Cons: some of the science programs have rotating program officers so, i'm constantly learning and having to ajust to someones working style often.
•a typical day at work
A typical work day would consist of maintaining constant communication with the scientific community via email and phone, collect ,evaluate, and update information from a variety of sources, coordinate and process group and staff travel thru the NSF travel system, and creating and monitoring budget spreadsheets for my various – more... programs and reconcile my budget spreadsheets for my program directors review.

•what you learned
I come from a medical work background, so working at the National Science Foundation I have to to learn alot concerning working with big budgets and serious deadlines.

•management
Management could be a little better with upper mobility with-in the divisions.

•your co-workers
I work with some of the best people. My co-workers are always there when a helping hand is needed. They are always willing to share their knowledge.

•the hardest part of the job
The hardest part of my job is trying to give everybody everything they want or need when it's all needed at the same time.

•the most enjoyable part of the job
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great co-workers. – less
Productive and fun
Program Assistant GS (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 28, 2013
Productive and fun place to work. Long hours twice a year. Nice people.
Wonderful agency
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 2, 2013
Conducting research to bring funds back to the government by closing out contracts.

To pay attention to detail and back up your files.

Stellar

Wonderful and Smart

Retiring files

The satisfaction of knowing that my job means something for our country.
Productive work place
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 13, 2013
The work enviroment is fun and very rewarding. I have learned alot while working here
Fun and Engaging, always meeting new people.
REU Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 7, 2013
As a paid intern for NSF, I was constantly exposed to other researchers like me, where we got to exchange ideas and create strong bonds. There were numerious lunch meetings and trips to promote this growth.

On a typical day, I sat at my desk in the programming lab, coding for the project I was assigned, to create and test an automated program feedback – more... system.

The hardest part of the job was making sure I met the strict deadlines that were set, and that my program met the quality NSF expected. – less
Cutting edge science and technology research
LED Researcher (Former Employee), Morgantown, WVMarch 12, 2013
Pros: freedom to work and explore in my area of expertise. trust that i will complete my goals.
Cons: n/a
I found it very pleasant to work for NSF. As a funded researcher it was nice that they mainly were concerned with getting us (students) to learn complex material and fundamentally understand the research that we were doing. It was a very conducive to learning.
Research internship abroad funded by NSF institute for new functionality in glass
Research Intern (Former Employee), Madrid, SpainFebruary 26, 2013
Went to Spain and worked with an electron-beam evaporation system for a summer. Learned and saw a lot. I was happy to be funded by the NSF.
Manipulating laundry with robots and vision sensor
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Clemson, SCJanuary 18, 2013
I am a research assistant at Clemson University on a project for NSF. I have been on this project for 3 years and work with manipulating laundry using a 3d vision sensor and a robotic arm. I am the sole participant on this project and handle all hardware and software programming. Our goal is to sort, fold, and handle laundry in unstructured environments.
Great place to work!
Program Specialist/Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 26, 2012
Pros: a company you can be proud to work for
Cons: not a lot of perks
I love it here. The people are dedicated and really concerned about science and engineering in the U.S. There are concrete efforts to improve education and broaden participation in STEM fields. There aren't a ton of bonuses or perks or anything because it's government but the pay scale is really good.
Not your typical federal government agency
Communications Resources Section Head (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 6, 2012
Great opportunities for advancement, interesting people to work with - both scientists and administrative staff, nice office building and location in Arlington VA.
Not for everybody
Station Electrician (Former Employee), South pole anticarticaJune 7, 2012
This was a very stressfull job. Winter over in south pole anticartica. It was a closed area with the same 22 people in 8 months of darkness. It was contracted work
Challenging Work, Great Co-workers
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMay 16, 2012
My co-workers and managers functioned as a team. Everyone was considered. Everyone was treated fairly. Great place to work.
Good solid company
Mid-Atlantic Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee), Ronkokoma, NYApril 29, 2012
Pros: ability to work from home
Enabled me to learn an entirely different industry. Wonderful product
Intercultural research
Researcher (Former Employee), Mayaguez,Puerto RicoMarch 6, 2012
Pros: workshops
Cons: a lot of work
Research about job-shop scheduling arrangement, by the use of simulation tools.