National Science Foundation Employee Reviews

Science research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
This job has taught me about researching in the science world such as coding on the computer, applying math to the subject and critical thinking. With the help of my professor, this has definitely given me insight on what's to come for my career of environmental science.
summer job, great experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILApril 5, 2017
I worked under a few professors for the science foundation project doing qualitative and quantitative research in flood mitigation. It was an amazing experience, a dream job if it were full time!
Pros
amazing people to work with
Cons
short contract work
Typical of an internship
National Science Foundation REU Intern (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 8, 2017
the job was typical of any marine science internship. got to meet a lot of people from different universities. was supposed to receive 5,000$ but then the internship filled out all the students paperwork wrong and all interns only received 4,000$.
Great place to learn and develop
Dot Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 22, 2016
Incredible stage for a personal to learn and polish the skills as a developer with a good atmosphere. Good relation between client and organisation.
Excellent Security, Compensation/Benefits, Work Place
Lead Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 18, 2016
The National Science Foundation is excellent Federal Government Agency to have worked with. It provide a productive and fun workplace with an on-site training facility for upward mobility and growth.
Pros
1 Lunch
Cons
15 minute breaks
Overall Great Place to Work
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 2, 2016
Career/ Life balance emphasis is terrific. The convince of telework a few days a week aids so much with alleviating day to day stress.

Job security is great, however within my branch, advancement is limited.
Enjoyable place to work with great co-workers
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 5, 2016
Great job, with flexible hours.

Constantly growing with current technology

Great co-workers and management

Customer service is paramount

Learned multiple applications and devices
Good Environment but Can Depend on Office and Manager
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 26, 2016
Pros: On average, people are great (personable, friendly, thoughtful) and care a lot about organization's mission. Good pay and -- depending on the manager -- a great work-life balance.

Cons: Difficult to advance from an entry-level position, especially an administrative one. As with any federal government agency, promotions are based more on tenure rather than performance.

Overall a pretty good place to work.
Science Lab
Student Undergraduate Neuroscience (SUN) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 5, 2016
The work environment was very serious. Chemicals and toxic substances were everywhere. I had to be aware of my surroundings at all times. The job was fun because it coincided with my biology major. I learned alot of helpful science techniques.
Pros
Prepared me for school
Cons
No breaks
Government jobs are the best
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 23, 2016
The department I worked in wasn't the best. Program directors were crazy but made the days interesting. Overall the people are great. I was an summer intern, so spent most of my days watching analysts going back and forth setting up conferences. It's a chill job, definitely a great position to have on your resume as a college student.
This was a very rewarding experience
Graduate Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 11, 2016
I appreciated the opportunity to share my engineering expertise with inner city students, and I believe my outreach to these students will make a difference in the number of students entering the STEM field.
• Over 7+ years of Professional experience as an Oracle PL/SQL Developer in business requirements gathering, data modeling, testing, development, im
Senior Oracle PL/SQL Developer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 7, 2016
• Involved in all phases of the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) from analysis, design, development, testing, implementation and maintenance with timely delivery against aggressive deadlines.
• Experience with Data flow diagrams, Data dictionary, Database normalization theory techniques, Entity relation modeling and design techniques
Productive and Fun Environment
Debris Flow Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 2, 2016
A usual day at work would involve any number of tasks that I can either do or learn to preform. I am the type of person that likes to work hard and learn quick. I do what is required of me and what is not. My main goal is to obtain a job and keep it.
EPSoR Program a good choice for undergraduate students
EPSCoR Program Internship (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 3, 2016
Was a research intern in a program funded by the National Science Foundation, not in the organization itself. An excellent experience for those interested in scientific research.
student work via obtained grant
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 20, 2016
I cannot say anything over the company itself, because i was paid through a grant. I had no direct correlation with the Foundation, other than getting paid.
Excellent Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2016
Knowledgable staff. Flexible schedule. Lots of paperwork. Wonderful supervisor. Always willing to help you with any questions or discrepancies. Beautiful environment (campus next to beach and ocean).
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Short time to complete certain tasks
My Day at Work
Management Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 26, 2015
As a Management Operations Assistant, I supported a group of sixty-plus professionals with secretarial support and payroll support.
Nice location and building but the management is unpredictable.
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 18, 2015
Nice place to build skills. Learn skills and move on. Advancement depends on the manager you are assigned to. Co-workers are really pleasant to work with. There are a lot of rotating employees.
Awesome Experience organized workers
Supplemental Instruction Leader of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2015
Stress free work place awesome coworkers. Very understanding management. Gained a lot of experience working here. Company worked very closely with University, there was not any disorganization with the whole process and how the program was run.
NSF is a nice place to work...
Intern/Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 30, 2015
I've worked for NSF (National Science Foundation) back in 2012 as an Intern and I had a blast. I worked at the one located in Arlington near Ballston mall. I did a variety of office administrative duties which includes: retiring old jackets (files) using eRMS, reviewing end the year proposals, creating flyers, using Outlook, transferring calls, coordinating events, ordering office supplies, and kept track of office supplies (inventory). The pay was very good too ($13 hr/40 hr work week), metro subsidy, friendly environment, no stress, and loved the fact that I could go to the mall on my lunch break :D Only thing I didn't like was that my manager didn't want to hire me on as a regular full-time employee with NSF.
Pros
Near the mall, friendly environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Science Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5