National Security Agency

National Security Agency Employer Reviews

Air Force member's point of view
Computer Network Operations (CNO) Analyst (Current Employee), TXAugust 7, 2014
Pros: great work life balance
Cons: too many intelligent people who don't like being wrong
Plenty of opportunities to flex your cyber analytical brain muscles. Can't complain too much about work, it's what you make of it.
Stress free environment
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDJuly 10, 2014
Work hours were from 9am-4pm. The day consisted of briefing incoming personnel and verifying their security clearances. I also ensured military members were slotted based on their experience and skills. I enjoyed working in a joint military service command, we went to lunch together or had potlucks. The hardest part of the job was not being supported – more... by higher ups and not being recognized for going above the call of duty. – less
Great place to work, good people
NSA Police/ Corporal/ Instructor (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDJune 23, 2014
-Lots to do
-Learned how to network better
-Fun co-workers
-Getting promoted can be tough
-Learning new things is the best part of the job
Typical bureaucracy
Af/Pak region Arabic language analyst & reporter (Current Employee), Fort Gordon, GAJune 11, 2014
Many interesting problem sets, but the bureaucracy is tough to deal with.
Interesting work
Multi-Discpilined Language Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Gordon, GAJune 8, 2014
Working at the NSA provides plenty of opportunity for interesting work with interesting people. There truly is something for everyone. My main complaint is that there are simply not enough locations.
Efficient employer with interesting job duties
Federal Police Officer (Current Employee), Augusta, GAMay 20, 2014
Pros: great salary and great benefits
Cons: shift schedules are not very family friendly
A typical day at work involves little stress, but important duties. Sometimes there are long hours and so most of the employees are close. The hardest part of the job is the hours and no specific holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job is the training that is available.
Fun place to work, always work to do
Student Work Study (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MarylandMay 13, 2014
I learned about different programs on the computer that they use every day, the people were very nice and helpful, the hardest part of the job was being the new guy.
Dedcated Professionals
Signals Intelligence Enlisted Leader (Current Employee), San Antonio, TxMay 7, 2014
Pros: extremely collaborative
Cons: nature of work does not allow for work outside of classified workcenter
The agency is an incredible collaboration of talented professionals focused on defense of the nation.
Military service
Systems Supervisor Senior Mission Controller (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MDMay 4, 2014
A typical day was working with a group of 6 people in a section whose main focus was signals collection and intercept. The hardest part of the job was that not all of the workers were professional and were very young and immature. Some workers would be later to work, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a good collect.
Professional Organization
Senior Linguist (Former Employee), Fort Gordon, GAApril 16, 2014
Conducts full spectrum Signals Intelligence and Information Assurance operations and enables Cyber Network Operations in order to gain a decisive advantage for the nation, our allies, and partners.
Diverse and interesting working environment
Branch Chief and Divisional Superintendent (Former Employee), San Antonio, TxFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: a responsible and rewarding position
Cons: regular hr challenges
I wore 2 hats in this position. I was a Branch Chief for a section of approx 70 people running a 24-hour operation and the Superintendent for a Division of approx 200 people.

A very challenging role requiring me to manage civilians and military personnel from all Services. It was diverse and very interesting position, requiring developed conflict resolution – more... skills and creative man management.

Decision making was high-pressured and constant, but the team was highly trained and very motivated. Working with so many young servicemen and women was very rewarding and I enjoyed it a great deal. – less
Typical Government Organization With an Interesting Mission
Software Engineer through Data Warehouse Design (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MDFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: work on interesting subject matter.
Cons: management intrigue and lame promotion system.
Relative to other government organizations, this agency has a mission with impact.

Has the usual government employee benefits.

Good education benefits when funding is available.

Need to regularly move around to organizations with growing missions, otherwise your career will go nowhere. Of course, if you like what you are doing, you can usually stay – more... where you are at.

The promotion system is still lame. If you are skills and willing to work, promotions through lower to mid-grades occur. Getting a grade 13 and beyond is difficult. This tends to drive quality employee out to contracting firm were you are paid based on your skills (including negotiation expertise).

Frustration can be experienced when it seems management in-fighting seems to become more important than the real mission. – less
Enjoyed working for NSA
Executive Secretary & Data Flow Manage Trainee (Former Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDDecember 30, 2013
I really enjoyed working for this company. I've spent 12 years there and some of my co-workers were like family! I didn't realize how hard work life would be without having a TS/SCI clearance behind your name.
Good work environment
Language Analyst (Current Employee), TexasDecember 28, 2013
Work hours, co-workers, pay and benefits were all enjoyable.
Great place to learnn more about National Security.
Chief, Joint Military Assignments Branch (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MDNovember 25, 2013
Pros: enjoyed working with all branches of service
Cons: very high turnover of personnel
Thoroughly enjoyed my duties as the Senior Human Resources Manager provided expert advice to the Commander. Ensured that all personnel assigned to the Brigade were represented to the best of my ability for all personnel matters. Consistently ensured that every critical position in the brigade was filled promptly with the best qualified service member. – more... Forecasted personnel requirements to ensure that all critical positions were staffed at all times. – less
Office Manager, Data Entry (Former Employee), Ft George G. Meade, MD and Linithcum, MDNovember 23, 2013
Pros: secure job
Learned a lot from all the years I worked there.
Was able to grow with the jobs
Enjoyed being a data entry person
Learning experience
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDOctober 21, 2013
Pros: learned a lot from this job
Cons: distance from home was over 30 miles
I worked in the Human Resources department typing up interviews for potential employees. It was a learning experience for me - since it was my first job.
Great mission
Global Network Analyst (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDOctober 3, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving our military servicemen and servicewomen.
Job with impact
Deputy Director (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 24, 2013
Able to work in a position that had a global impact. Work was challenging. Co-workers were like family.
NSA Job
DIRECTOR, Joint Mil Manning & HR Div (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MDAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great work ethic
Excellent organization. I was responsible for manning the force of more than 15000 military authorization.

Hard part of job was dealing with loss of personnel who fought in 9/11

Most enjoyable part of job was making military personnel's live easier by providing quality HR support to them.

About National Security Agency

NSA employs the U.S.'s premier codemakers and codebreakers. It is said to be the largest employer of mathematicians in the United – Read more