National Security Agency

National Security Agency Employee Reviews

SECURITY INFO SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJanuary 17, 2017
Seems that the management is definitely chosen by favorites. Great workers, but that doesn't mean you should be a manager. Definitely ruined my experience here!
Pros
Great pay, time off, holidays
Cons
Stressful, prison-like
Opportunities
Data Integrity Analyst (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 6, 2016
Provides a plethora of opportunities for furthering your career down multiple paths. friendly co-worker environment
Top Secret job enviroment
Ft. Meade/NIOC MD (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 5, 2016
Cannot share your day at work with family or friends, decent cafeteria and food, clean work environment, very large buildings.
Pros
Nice cafe
nsa
Cyber Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 1, 2016
Great agency. Great leadership. Great mission. Great for self-development. Great technical training. Great co-workers. Great facilities. Great location.
Mission Oriented, yet unconcerned with service obligations.
U.S. Army Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Fort Gordon, GANovember 14, 2016
The environment was professional and the workforce was well equipped technologically. However, the majority of the workforce, myself included, were military and our civilian leadership constantly failed to accommodate our service obligations or compromise with our conflicting schedules.
Pros
professional, well equipped
Cons
unaccommodating, difficult to take vacation days
Big place
Computer Scientist (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDOctober 24, 2016
Lifetime obligations, with good reason. Add 45 minutes to each day's commute to hike between your car and office and back. Many opportunities to learn and to apply new knowledge. Cultural uniformity. Co-workers wide variety of skills and levels. Due to parking, cannot go out for lunch. Massive amount of legal requirements, always reviewing. Extremely restrictive. Forever filtering. Proud to have worked there.
Pros
Protects the USA & Allies
Cons
Parking
Security
Target specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDOctober 6, 2016
NSA is a great place because of the personnel. Working for your country is a personal satisfaction you get doing the work that you do. You also have job security but promotions are few and far between which does not give you the best reason to stay for the length of your career.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Lack of Promotions
Productive work environment
Dispatch & Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDSeptember 29, 2016
Great benefits, culture, and environment. Allowed upward growth and professional mobility. Coworkers were very helpful and customers were quite friendly.
A good organization to start your career
Contracting Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDSeptember 5, 2016
The agency is a great one to start your career. Helps to establish your professional skill sets and mature you in the workforce. However, not the ideal agency to work at beyond an entry level.
Great work environment with challenging job
Senior Enlisted Leader, Special Operations Div (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 2, 2016
As the Senior Enlisted Leader of the Special Operations Division, Led a 100 man team on the logistics, and training requirements necessary to support deployments for Special Operations worldwide. Hardest part of the job was selecting an individual that while, chose to be a part of our organization, was reluctant to leave their family.
Working for National Secuirity Agency
Senior Military Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDAugust 12, 2016
Great people and dedicated. I have never worked in such a job with the responsibility I had. Learned a great deal. Success in this job is understand your responsibility and pay attention to detail.
Pros
Responsibility
Cons
Parking your car at NSA
Productive and Safe workplace
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJuly 28, 2016
Great working environment, very professional, excellent with equal opportunities for all. Overall, would recommend people to work there.
A true experience in Protocol
Protocol Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMay 19, 2016
Basically, I was an event coordinator. I put together 124 of 164 events in one year. Meetings, promotion ceremonies, and more. The people I worked for were wonderful and most complimentary. They gave me a Star Award for my service.

The people I worked with and under were another story but I believe it was just inexperience and personality conflicts in this situation. Although I loved the work itself, the restrictions to dress, and inability to respond to requests from the guests due to rules, (situations where prior, I had been awarded for going above and beyond were considered unacceptable in this position) was stifling.

We organized tours for VIPs and escorted them wherever they had to go. The people were fascinating and the job constantly moving.
Pros
Free meals, and fascinating VIPs.
Cons
Restrictions to dress and actions
Nsa
Chief, NSA Red Team Division (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDApril 5, 2016
Great place to work if you know the intelligence world

Ahead of the curve on Cyber

Hardest part is working with people who have not modernized their thought processes.
Senior Enlisted Leader (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 5, 2016
The people are great. There are many, many talented people working here. I have learned so much about being a leader and a signals analyst.
Great agency doing great things
Team Supervisor / Section Chief / Signals Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
Enjoyed my time there and look forward to working with them in the future. I learned a lot that I can say will help me in my future career.
Pros
Protecting the Country
Cons
No windows
You can do things at NSA that you can't do anywhere else
Defense Intelligence Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  Ft. Meade, MDMarch 6, 2016
An exceptional career experience. Given the diverse scope of the NSA mission, and employee can spend an entire career exploring career options and opportunities for professional and personal growth.
Missing coworkers
Field Administrator (Former Employee) –  O‘ahu, HIFebruary 26, 2016
Right hand person to Human Resources Chief. Supported over 90 employees in Oahu, Hawaii. Really enjoyed the interaction and camaraderie among personnel. It was a very rewarding experience. I was born a psychologist. This job afforded me with the opportunity to get to know people's issues. I was able to diffuse difficult situations and deal with disgruntled employees. Management was very supportive of my role. I earned several cash awards for suggestions that were implemented throughout the agency. Outstanding coworkers and management. The hardest part of my job was resigning to come to Colorado to take care of my terminally-ill mother. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I went home everyday knowing I made an impact or a difference in someone's life.
Pros
Being in Hawaii and enjoying so much nature
Cons
I had to resign to take care of my mother
Great Organization
Employee (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAFebruary 25, 2016
This is a great organization that cares about the well being of its employees. The work was fulling and the people were enjoyable to work with. Their promotion system is fair and rewards employees that are knowledgeable leaders.
Great entry level learning experience
Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDFebruary 9, 2016
Being in the military I learned many different tools and techniques within the agency and would like to expand my knowledge within Maryland or with a different company utilizing my clearance level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Security Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3