National Security Technologies Employee Reviews

Maintenance Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 17, 2018
nstec is a place i would recommend to any and everyone. the work experience was great and I met a lot of of great people. The company has a great program for everyone
Pros
No comment per my lawyer
Cons
No comment per my lawyer
Fascinating work, but poorly managed
EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICIST (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 2, 2018
NSTec does very interesting work for the Department of Energy, which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed my coworkers and the collaborative approach to problem solving. Long daily commutes to job sites (3 hours each way) and poor overall management made the workdays stressful. While my direct manager was very good, the company had a surplus of utterly incompetent, conspiracy theorist executives who regularly interfered with employees.
Union job
Refrigeration Foreman (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 8, 2017
Great pay scale and benefits. Worked for 3 years and 6 months. Very regimented job. Heavy on the documentation and work analysis. Nice working a 4 day on, 3 day off schedule
Government Contractor with too many imposed regulations
Training Developer / Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2017
New contractor coming onboard in December. Staff is currently demoralized and looking forward to new management.

The wrong people have been promoted into management positions but this may change dramatically.
Fast pace always running
Business Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 1, 2017
I really enjoy the construction industry because it is fast paced. I am busy all day but really enjoy it. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with the constant policy and procedure changes, but I love the challenge.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
long work day
Comfortable Place to Work
Senior IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Andrews AFB, MDJune 4, 2017
It is an ideal place to work for someone that is a self starter and self motivated. The culture supports a laid back working environment for subject matter experts that don't need supervision to accomplish tasks.
Learned a lot as an intern
Associate Technologist - Summer Hire (Former Employee) –  Andrews Air Force Base, MDMay 20, 2017
Interning here was a great experience. I learned so much and all of the staff was more than willing to teach about the different tasks they perform day to day and assist with anything that came up.
Nstec
Maintenance Engineer I & II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 14, 2017
Nice place to work, job security, great people to work with , size-able complex, clean and safe , great experience for learning and expansion. Safetey always comes first.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Nothing to remark at this time
Busy
contractor to the Dept. Of Energy (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NV 89030February 28, 2017
typical day is always hectic; no appreciation from management; great co-workers; old fashion workforce culture; upper management looks down on workers
Pros
pay and 4-day workweek
Cons
too many to list
Fun workplace with challenging projects
Senior Health Physics Technologist (Former Employee) –  Mercury, NVOctober 2, 2016
Wide variety in job duties.
Management is somewhat disconnected from field workers.
Long work hours and VERY long commute time to site.
Pros
Good benefits
Doe
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 13, 2015
Great Company Great people, I learned a lot through operations from both NSTec and as a contractor for the DOE. The knowledge and recommended education has taken me a long way.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Horrible Management
Principle Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVAugust 30, 2015
Management leads from behind. Always taking the word of unreliable employees over those that do the work and behave as adults.
Nevada
Radiological Control/Health Physics Technician (Former Employee) –  Mercury, NVAugust 3, 2015
The work locations in Nevada vary from North Las Vegas to the Nevada National Security Site 60 miles outside Las Vegas. I worked primarily at the site but lived in Las Vegas, with a 1-1.5 hour commute each way. Also, I worked 4 days a week, 10 hours a day and if you add the commute thats a good amount of time away from family but the compensation and co-workers made it bearable.

I learned how to be a professional and how to work with people of differing personalities and view points.

I'd have to say my only complaint was the varying levels of management and how when budgets seemed to get tight and there was talk of layoffs or furloughs for workers on the ground, there always seemed to be new management positions opening up and being filled.

My co-workers varied in disciplines and fields but in general they were some of the best people I've ever met.

The hardest part of the job was working in the elements which in the desert meant dealing with extreme heat in the summer. Staying hydrated and maintaining safety while also being productive was a constant struggle.

What I enjoyed most about the job was the group success and the comradery it fostered. When we all did well at a job location or on a project it made for a less stressful/dramatic work environment and people enjoyed coming to work.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
distance from major city, loose work hours of those in town vs. the strict work hours of those at the site
With Budgets being cut this company is currently struggling
Operation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa BarbaraJuly 2, 2015
The only focus that NSTEC has is being top heavy on Management.
I'm working at the capacity of 3 people. The hardest part is I am not being compensated for my hard work and excellent work habits. Only 15-20% of the employees here are friendly.
Pros
I have a job
Cons
Benefits are poor, management is poor, culture is poor
Great job!
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 4, 2015
A nice company to work for - the people are very nice and the work is challenging. This job allows you to experience a number of different types of tasks and the variety makes for a very interesting work day.
Structured environment.
Logistics Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 20, 2014
Some departments of the government are not as incompetent as made out to be.
Productive and Fun workplace
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 14, 2014
Co-workers were awesome and a typical day was out in the field.
Variety of fast paced scientific projects and field work
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 16, 2014
Projects and missions are varied and typically have fast turnaround times.

Government contractor work, multiple layers of bureaucracy to accomplish anything. Once you understand what paperwork and approvals to get, job is much easier.

Co-workers are great for the most part, flat organization where one can talk to almost anyone, even some upper management.
Very satisfied working with this company. Organized and enjoyed my duties
Contractor for U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 22, 2014
I would recommend working for this company. Multiple work shirt hours, had a lot of freedom and autonomy in the type of work I did.
Typical Govt contractor
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 20, 2013
Bureaucracy knows no bounds.

Management has lost a bit of touch with reality.

Sequester seems to have effected what gets done.