National Security Technologies Employee Reviews

With Budgets being cut this company is currently struggling
Operation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa BarbaraJuly 2, 2015
The only focus that NSTEC has is being top heavy on Management.
I'm working at the capacity of 3 people. The hardest part is I am not being compensated for my hard work and excellent work habits. Only 15-20% of the employees here are friendly.
Pros
I have a job
Cons
Benefits are poor, management is poor, culture is poor
Nevada
Radiological Control/Health Physics Technician (Former Employee) –  Mercury, NVAugust 3, 2015
The work locations in Nevada vary from North Las Vegas to the Nevada National Security Site 60 miles outside Las Vegas. I worked primarily at the site but lived in Las Vegas, with a 1-1.5 hour commute each way. Also, I worked 4 days a week, 10 hours a day and if you add the commute thats a good amount of time away from family but the compensation and co-workers made it bearable.

I learned how to be a professional and how to work with people of differing personalities and view points.

I'd have to say my only complaint was the varying levels of management and how when budgets seemed to get tight and there was talk of layoffs or furloughs for workers on the ground, there always seemed to be new management positions opening up and being filled.

My co-workers varied in disciplines and fields but in general they were some of the best people I've ever met.

The hardest part of the job was working in the elements which in the desert meant dealing with extreme heat in the summer. Staying hydrated and maintaining safety while also being productive was a constant struggle.

What I enjoyed most about the job was the group success and the comradery it fostered. When we all did well at a job location or on a project it made for a less stressful/dramatic work environment and people enjoyed coming to work.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
distance from major city, loose work hours of those in town vs. the strict work hours of those at the site
Doe
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 13, 2015
Great Company Great people, I learned a lot through operations from both NSTec and as a contractor for the DOE. The knowledge and recommended education has taken me a long way.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Horrible Management
Principle Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVAugust 30, 2015
Management leads from behind. Always taking the word of unreliable employees over those that do the work and behave as adults.
Variety of fast paced scientific projects and field work
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 16, 2014
Projects and missions are varied and typically have fast turnaround times.

Government contractor work, multiple layers of bureaucracy to accomplish anything. Once you understand what paperwork and approvals to get, job is much easier.

Co-workers are great for the most part, flat organization where one can talk to almost anyone, even some upper management.
Wonderful talented workforce.
Senior Engineer, Nuclear Engineering (Former Employee) –  Mercury NVJanuary 25, 2013
Great people, poor leadership. During the time I worked there our department went through several managers due to the fact that they were unable to educate the upper management that the company was not following the prescribed guidelines necessary to operate as per the government guidelines,or oversight.
Cons
long commute.
Shift Eng.
Nuclear Systems & Start-up Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2013
While employed with Washington Group at Richland, WA on the Hanford High Level Waste Facility at the waste to Glass project, (2/02 to 12-03). I was one of the two personnel that were design authority for the high level facility. We reviewed and either accepted, rejected or made recommendations for change for each step in the project design development. We were DOE’s reprehensive, Bechtel was the constructor.
(Transferred to Pine Bluff Facility with WGI)

Provide technical support to shift Operations management and operating personnel with regard to regulatory requirements, procedures and guidelines
As a shift engineer, I was responsible for ensuring the facility was capable of performing the disposal of toxic agents per specified regulations and all safety and non-safety equipment was maintained within engineering tolerances during my shift. I was the immediate point of contact of the shift supervisor in the event of an off-normal occurrence that required and engineering solution in close proximity to and or in a chemical agent and demilitarization facility.
Coordinated work assignments to meet project established schedules and budgets. Maintained constant review of job status and initiated corrective measures to overcome delays and protect the public.
Pros
more time off from work.
Cons
12 hour rotating shift.
Great job!
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 4, 2015
A nice company to work for - the people are very nice and the work is challenging. This job allows you to experience a number of different types of tasks and the variety makes for a very interesting work day.
Typical Govt contractor
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 20, 2013
Bureaucracy knows no bounds.

Management has lost a bit of touch with reality.

Sequester seems to have effected what gets done.
Very satisfied working with this company. Organized and enjoyed my duties
Contractor for U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 22, 2014
I would recommend working for this company. Multiple work shirt hours, had a lot of freedom and autonomy in the type of work I did.
Structured environment.
Logistics Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 20, 2014
Some departments of the government are not as incompetent as made out to be.
Productive and Fun workplace
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 14, 2014
Co-workers were awesome and a typical day was out in the field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Security Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

National Security Technologies Reviews by Location