National Tire and Battery Employee Reviews

Fast-paced workplace, poor scheduling
General Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 15, 2017
The environment is very fast-paced and the training received was minimal. This results in slow service times in many cases. Management was poor, and seemed to be unable to schedule properly. Sales associates in the front don't communicate well with technicians in the back.
Great Opportunity
General Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAJune 14, 2017
It's a typical mechanic garage environment. Great place to learn. Hardest part about the job is learning where all the inventory is located and once you have that down the rest is easy.
Pros
Advancement Opportuinity
Cons
Having to leave early when its slow.
Cool place to work, relaxed environment, sometimes stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 29, 2017
Long days were pretty normal. Environment was usually pretty laid back but could get stressful. Enjoyed the people and the position and would probably been a lot better with more motivated staff.
Fast pace
General Service Technician/ Team Leader/sales (Former Employee) –  Bellbrook, OHMay 16, 2017
just another work day i got along great with management. the hardest part of the job was the hot summers. the best part was fixing thing and dealing with people.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
No vacation time
long way to drive
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Canal Winchester, OHMay 15, 2017
Manager was an Idiot, He wanted his car worked on before any of us could do anything!!!! but he expected us to be able to have a new car on 9.00/Hour!!! And if we needed anything we couldn't get it without paying full price for the parts & labor if we couldn't do it ourselves.
Pros
Cons
everything.
good part time job
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Rogers, MN 55374April 26, 2017
snow removal was fun and kept me in shape over winter, i shoveled snow for 3 years with the company and generally enjoyed it. only reason i left was for college.
Don't waist your time.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2017
Not enough work to go around. Only turning about 30 hours but working 55. Stand around most of the day waiting on car to show up. You will be better off somewhere else.
Pros
Cons
To many to list.
High paying job if you can work 72 hours a week
Technician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 31, 2017
The job pays very well but be prepared to spend over 65 hours a week to make good money. Managers come and go every six months witch makes it hard to maintain any customer loyalty.
Pros
High pay rate
Cons
Hours, employee turnover rate, unqualified managment
Customer service oriented
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 19, 2017
Organized directed staff hiring, firing, work schedules and payroll
Managed profit and loss statements (PLS)
Managed 2.5 million dollar inventory
Service sales increase of 10K per month
Pros
Helping people protect their investment
Cons
Long hours with median pay
General Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILMarch 18, 2017
NTB is a very workful and soulful environment. There is a kind of a non stop feel when its kind of busy but overall friendly. Nice employees and staff great with customers.
Cons
Short Breaks, Over Worked
Service Technician
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMarch 13, 2017
Not a bad place to learn and start out. Get to experience the basic fundamentals of automotive mechanics. Commission can sometimes be hit or miss depends on the person and the store if you will like it or not.
Pros
Great coworkers and place to start a career
Cons
Commission varies significantly
Part of the machine.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Elk River, MNMarch 5, 2017
If you want to work somewhere that treats you like a replaceable part of a machine this is the job for you. Learn the finer points of micro management and always be told it is not enough even if you are number 1 at something. Want a raise? Forget about it. Want to present a new idea? Think again. Want to be spied on and put in unwinnable situations...these are the people for you.
Only upside...they are a ginormas company and the checks will never bounce. They may not go very far but they will always clear the bank.
Pros
Checks clear the bank
Cons
Not enough room to list
Horrible management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 25, 2017
The manager was given the job because the boss felt bad for him. he's not qualified for it if they get rid of him it would be an awesome place to work.
Experience
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDFebruary 15, 2017
During my employment here I was able to utilize the skills I obtained from my previous sales advisor job with Sears Auto, which made my transition a breeze. With us being short staffed and a heavy traffic store, it did require a little extra out of us, but nothing I was not prepared for or able to handle. This job has trained me on how to stay calm and work well under pressure. At times being the only CSA scheduled with my hardworking team of technicians we were always able to make due.
Pros
Interacted with customers building strong relationships
Cons
short staffed
entry level job to learn about basic automotive maintenance
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 8, 2017
If you are looking to learn about basic automotive service, ntb is a good place to start with advancement to being a mechanic
Most shops have state of the art equipment.
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 7, 2017
training and availability to computer is endless. ASE certification is highly stress.pay is fair depending on the position you hold.
Great working conditions
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2017
NTB is great for on the job training Management is willing to work with you on problem areas.
I learned the use of tire changing tools that make the job efficient, quick, and safe.
Having uniforms to wear saves a lot of laundry expense and prevents ruining clothes. A definite pro.
Pros
Uniforms
Cons
Time pressure
Volatile and underprepared
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXJanuary 17, 2017
When I began the job, I was the only tire tech so they had me working 60hr weeks or more, opening to close 6 days a week then they hired a few more tire techs.
I learned how to change tires, change engine oil, fix brakes, wheel alignment, alternation replacement, and some engine work.
The management wasn't so good, they hired people out of need to fill a position, and these people in turn cost the company some money because of their mistakes and were let go.
There was no incentives for advancement.
Co-workers were either lazy, or backstabbing, willing to throw you under the bus whenever.
The hardest part of the job was trying to be a team player yet being cautious so as not to taint your record because of someone else's mistake or nonchalant attitude.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the mechanics and learning new skills on slow days.
Pros
Learnt skills that were outside my job description
Cons
Short breaks, lazy co-workers
Great workplace and compensation
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 29, 2016
Afforded me the ability to rise through the ranks from changing tires to running a shop. If you are willing to learn and demonstrate strong work ethics you will do well. The corporate oversight can be frustrating but the compensation makes it worth while. Wish I never left.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, work environment
Cons
corporate oversight
Good company and good opportunities for growth.
General Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Union City, GADecember 28, 2016
National tire and battery is a good place to start off in the automotive industry, they give you chances to grow, they give you the opportunity to move up in the company, they offer advanced training for many mechanic certifications. So if your young looking to build in the auto mechanical field NTB will be a great place to do so.
Pros
Flexibilty, healthcare, 401K
Cons
Managment, coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Tire and Battery. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9