National Tire and Battery Employee Reviews in United States

good enviroment
Mechanic and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ceader Park, TXAugust 22, 2016
Letting customers what is wrong with their vehicles and trying to make their vehicle safe as possible while trying to keep the cost of repairs at a reasonable price.
A decent place to work
General Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 14, 2016
My typical day consists of oil changes and tire changes and brake jobs. Ive learned more about time management than anything really. other than that my management team is beyond awesome to work with as well as my coworkers. The hardest part of the job is really just working in the heat during the summer, and the most enjoyable part has to be the people that I work with.
Pros
1 hr lunch breaks and a flexible schedule, calm laid back environment
Cons
outdoor conditions, low starting pay
NTB at a Glance
GENERAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXAugust 10, 2016
General service technicians are well off with this company. They take chances on inexperienced people, and they educate and train people to do their jobs properly. They even have a program to send their employees to school for certifications.
Pros
Good Hours, Decent Pay
Cons
Management, Exposure to the elements
Great place to work for and learn a lot
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCJuly 18, 2016
Ntb is a great place to work for, they have good benefits and a program to help you get your ASE certifications. I learned a lot about cars and how to fix them.
Good Company With Great People
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Alabaster, ALJuly 9, 2016
People at NTB work hard and with long hours. I often work 65hrs a week with several weeks being 6 work days because of short staffing. The job is physically demanding and puts your work ethic to the test. Great place to work with great people.
I wouldn't have a career if it weren't for this job!
Full Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 8, 2016
This was my 2nd job out of college and was a big career change for me. I had to provide my own tools, get professional certifications to do the job, had to work out doors in dirty conditions in 100+ degree weather year round. I really liked my coworkers and we had a lot of fun doing this job. If things stressed me out, I could find relaxation in the basic day to day activities of this job. Management was sloppy, I worked for this company for free for 2 months before I was hired and got my first paycheck because management didn't process any of the forms needed to hire me. Management also liked to move employees from store to store within a 25 mile radius of where we first applied, which at times meant I reported to stores in different counties than the one I lived in. The pay was extremely low, when I started it was $6/hour + up to $2 in hourly commission depending on activity. When I left I was making $8/hour with up to 18% commission depending on the activity I was doing. The pay was so low at times it was impossible to pay rent alone, which was a shame because I loved this job. My bosses were big promoters of me and really pushed me to do my best all the time and rewarded me with praise when I did. The hardest part of this job was not dying in the heat out doors during the summer, because Texas is too hot.
Pros
friendly coworkers, friendly bosses, fun day to day activities
Cons
pay was too low, management was sloppy
Nice place to meet people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDJune 7, 2016
Confidential but good for the experience builder on a resume. I have learned a lot about the service of cars . They do send you to take classes on all levels.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Not having a steady schedule and long hours away from family
To Many Hours
Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 2, 2016
Work 55+ hours a week and pay check is inconsistent high one week then really low another some times you sit around and do nothing not making money
great
general technician (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJune 1, 2016
this place is good to work for people are so nice and the customers are nice to associate with and get a lot of experience out of it
Scam Artists
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXMay 25, 2016
WIll tell you to repair or replace something even when it is not needed. Do not trust these people.

Pays well and does business but my location was not trustworthy
Not easy to work for
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXMay 9, 2016
Job started out fine after hire but changes to all commission based pay with a rarity to move up the ladder. Management states that they care about employees but are more willing to put a mechanic in harms way to make a dollar.
Pros
possible to make money but not consistantly
Cons
Management and salesmen
process
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford, OHMay 4, 2016
I worked for National Tire & Battery for about five years and had a few challenging moments. How to manage was my first question I had to ask myself. learning how to hold myself accountable and also others, was a challenge because now im the leader now and I want to gain trust with employees. I took the challenge head on learned that communication/being organized/showing my employees that I am here for them and everything worked out successfully
Pros
work ethics and willing to learn more everyday
a good company
General service Technician (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 26, 2016
they were nice to and said they were gonna help me advance in my carrer and for a time they really seemd to try when we got new managmnent it all stopped though and now im left wondering whats next
productive
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2016
overall company is good if interested in the automotive program. but overall to move up is a lengthy process. a typical day includes multitasking, speed, and general knowledge of cars and trucks
A new experience!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAFebruary 6, 2016
I learned many new techniques on sales and how to 'fish' for customers and 'catch and release'. I also learned about the automotive industry.
Pros
Pay was good/teamwork
Good Company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  NJ PA DEFebruary 5, 2016
Lots of responsibility daily as a member of management.
Learned a lot over 17 years
Upper management is very heavy handed
Co workers were great
The hardiest part of the job was dealing with the threats from upper management if budgets were not achieved.
Most enjoyable was the pay
Pros
Largest independent dealer in the world
Cons
No home life long days
not customer or employee friendly.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 2, 2016
customers are often paying 75-125% mark up on parts. which sounds good to technicians who get paid commission, until customer get estimates for other places and find out how much they are being over charged. often the good leaders and store managers are not taken care of and often find employment else where. technicians are paid fairly and general service are not paid worth the work they do. if you are looking to be a technician and want to work on your own vehicle at work during your down time, dont expect to save money doing so at NTB. after January 2016 all prices went up to more then double what they were. which makes no sense when you are the one doing the work on your own vehicle. some pricing you pay about 5% less than customers. if you enjoy time with your family dont work here either. nights and weekends and 10-13 hour days isnt employee friendly. also stores are open 362 days a year. only closed for christmas easter and thanksgiving. so the other holidays are mostley spent at work. there are a few good things about NTB but the bad out way them.
Pros
not too many
Cons
more then i can count
Open environment to interact and be yourself
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 16, 2015
A typical day at work for the most part is extremely busy. People do not plan to wake up with a flat tire or blowout. Some people are so busy that they sometimes forget about getting their car serviced such as the oil needing to be change or brakes. Also, the late boomers who are rushing to get everything serviced on their car to make sure they pass inspection, keeps our day moving along in a fast pace. National Tire and Battery is a fortune 500 company, so there is always friendly competition within the stores in our district. The store I am in normally comes out on top due to the fact that we promote team work, honesty and outstanding customer service. We call ourselves "The Dream Team." Working here, I learned how to communicate effectively with all types of races and cultures. I learned that honesty and developing strong relationships with the customers is beneficial. I love my managers. They do not micromanage. I also appreciate the fact that they train me up to be a manager. They want me to advance and not get comfortable in a certain position. I am able to express my opinion and share ideas. My co-workers are awesome. I work with all men and we all treat each other like family. We have each others backs and when I'm running the store by myself, they listen to me and my directions. The hardest part of the job is identifying customers personalities because you have to be a certain way around certain customers. Some customers may like jokes, some may like smiles, some like for you to know every specific detail. It just depends. I normally figure out people within the first  more... few minutes of conversation but sometimes I still struggle. I do enjoy the fact that we all consider each other family within the store. Anytime that I can make another persons day by smiling, I am all for it.  less
Pros
managers provide lunch, pay, open environment
Cons
Upper management is filled with greed
It was a very laid back work environment.
General Service (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXDecember 7, 2015
The people I worked with were very laid back. They preferred a job well done over a rushed job, and were very understandable for unforeseen circumstances in one's personal life.
Fun guys to work with
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Buford, GANovember 25, 2015
I enjoyed the guys I worked with in the shop and enjoyed getting to work on customers vehicles, and see the joy they got from having it fixed on time and professionally

2.8