National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place, poor middle managment
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Northville, MIMarch 6, 2016
In short, I was passed several times for advancement opportunities for not being "buddies" with middle management. This particular manager had abused the position for quite sometime and to this day. I was passed for promotion again, but having to train my immediate supervisor in every aspect of the position, having littler knowledge of the industry (much less than myself) or the division of the company. It was admitted to me by another member of lower-middle management (his assistant) that this particular middle manager hired my immediate manager because she had scored almost identical on the career assessment (that all managers are required to take) and that it was because we didn't agree or share the same results. It was one of the hardest decision to make when I decided to quit, because not only did I like the company culture, most of the upper management, my equals, and teammates, but I enjoyed the overall atmosphere, with the exception of this particular middle manager who passed me, as well as others who shared different opinions and ideas than he.

Otherwise, the work was steady. Relatively easy. Rewarding when helping the customers and patients. Fun really. But the middle management will make you question yourself to death.
Pros
free and/or discounted eyewear
Cons
costly benefits, middle management (district managers)
Great Company, but looking for more
Optician (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXDecember 30, 2015
Overall that company is a great company to work for. I assist patients with their optical needs and advising them on what would best suit their optical needs. I wear many hats at my current job (receptionist, optician, maintenance and I.T. support) even though my official title is an optician. The most difficult challenge is explaining the prescription and insurance benefits that patients have when they are not that familiar with optical at all. It can become repetitive and mundane at work, but the family atmosphere that my coworkers bring to the job makes the day much easier to handle.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, business hours
Cons
Mundane and repetitave after awhile
Retail Optical/Medical Practice
Assistant Eyeglass Manager, Dual Licensed Optician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2015
This job involves interaction between store employees and optometry patients. Patients see the OD on staff for a eyeglass or contact lens prescription that is then filled by the opticians on staff. The environment is typical of a retail establishment where an exchange of money for merchandise and services is routinely performed. The hardest part of the job is ensuring a successful sale that results in a satisfied customer. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the patients.
Pros
Decent benefits, bonus program and salary. Pleasant interaction with co-workers and most patients.
Cons
Issues with service deadlines and manufacturing quality, difficult to promote from within, non-supportive management.
Would not recommend.
Eyeglasses Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work consists of long hours of lifting, standing and moving around. I do not like the smell because it feels like I am breathing in many chemicals during my shifts. I have learned the value of physically draining work. It makes me appreciate everything that men and woman in this type of work force do. Management seems a little clustered and aren't given enough workers most of the time. Many of my current co-workers are kind and a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job is feeling ill every time I leave. Every time I leave my shift I have horrible stomach pains and usually end up vomiting. The most enjoyable part of the position is when I get to go on break.
Pros
Variety of vending machines in the break room
Cons
Physically draining and disgusting
Daily routine.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 5, 2015
The minute i walk into the Vision Center I have to make sure the money drawer is right with the money. Then I do my daily routine of checking on my patients glasses, patients contacts delivery, and making sure all balance due on my patients are up to date. I love being able to help people understand their eye prescription as well as helping them pick out the correct glasses for them.
Pros
good pay and good hours.
Cons
no benefits.
Horrible management, no training
Apprentice optician (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAJanuary 6, 2016
I worked there for almost 2 months and I enjoyed working with the customers. However, it is difficult to assist customers when the manager is rarely on site and fails to train you properly. The manager did not care if customers received their glasses in a timely manner and if they had issues after collecting money, she did not care to remedy the problem because she did not want it to cost her money. The turn around at this store is terrible! Hr doesn't care to help you and doesn't return your calls, so if you have issues with your manager then you should suck it up, transfer or quit.
Pros
Great career opportunity
Cons
Poor management, poor HR, poor district manager, lack of quality customer service
My Time with NVI
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 27, 2016
My typical day starts with letdowns. Letdowns are when we are required to pull product for other team members throughout the day, which is generally and 30mins to 2 hour process depends on how many letdowns there are. Then you have receiving, selections, shipping and supplies these are the different areas in which people employees are working. My job isn't really all that hard to challenging its fairly easy work but the environment is were the problems are. Most of people that work there are decent well-rounded individuals but there are a select few that go about there way to disrupt the work. As far as management they aren't really hands on, their mostly so wrapped up in there own personal issues to really deal with employees and in my opinion I feel that were are under paid for the work that is required and feels that management should drastically do something about the pay before more people decide to leave.
Pros
Nice people and calm environment with easy work
Cons
Lackluster management and under paid across the board
Fun Job.
Optical Technician (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAApril 27, 2016
Working as the receptionist there was a lot of down time and fast-paced pressure. I had to learn to set up appointments in a way that kept the flow steady.

I learned to use all the machines to pre-test the patients and filing medical documents. The managers and co-workers were very helpful and friendly.

The hardest times at work were when we were one hour behind appointments and trying to keep up with time.
Pros
Amazing co-workers and professional attitude.
Cons
Not enough work hours.
Optometric Assistant
Optometric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 4, 2016
When I worked there it was okay. We had to many managers. I believe 4 by the time I left.
The last manager liked to micro manage us especially when we knew what we had to do.
If she didn't like you, or challenged her she would look through the employee handbook to find something wrong with your performance.
She yells at her staff and gets away with it.
She is too young to be a GENERAL MANAGER.
Pros
Pay and Insurance
Reall enjoyed the job
CERTFIED OPTHALMIC TECNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2016
Pre test of patients,answering phones.Scheduled appointments;retrieve patient files.Learned alot about eye health.Leaning to operate office equipment.Management overall was not always pleasant to deal with.My co workers I enjoyed very much,had many over the years.Hardest part of job was always trying to meet your daily quota required by company.Most enjoyable was meeting new people everyday,each one was very different
And learning new things.
Pros
ALOT OF VACATION TIME
Cons
CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT
Very little opportunity for advancement
Store Manager/ Certified Optician (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTAugust 24, 2015
I was a store manager for over 3 years. I loved working with my customers and employees. My job was basically to keep the store staffed and achieve monthly sales budgets. You were expected to do this with "outreach marketing." The main promotions rarely change and you market by sending your staff out with a Rubbermaid cart to hand out flyers in Walmart (that remained essentially unchanged for my entire tenure). You work 45 hours+ per week, with split days off. So not great work/life balance. Few managers ever get promoted so expect to be in the same position for a very long time.
Pros
Enjoyed Customers and coworkers
Cons
Stressful sales goals, monotony, no career development or advancement
Very good job to work at, good pay, very nice people to work with, clean enviroment, good benefits, perfect scheduleing hours to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJanuary 21, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at National Vision in the past, my co-workers were very easy to get along with, my supervisor was a very nice person, very easy to get along with and very fair with everyone. Being at work on time is a big deal.
Pros
good atmosphere, friendly people, good pay, breaks are fair, hours are perfect.
Cons
Probably working overtime after a long week.
Over work, no positive feedback.
Optician (Former Employee) –  St. LouisJuly 18, 2015
High turn over in their stores. If they make you salary, be prepared for 50+ hours a week, when you should only work 45. District manager is overworked and employees are made to be afraid of when the big bosses come.

Stores have 30-50 patients per day.

Doctors are overworked and unhappy.

No reward for doing a good job. You will be punished and "talked to" every time your numbers aren't up to par anymore. Opticians fight for charts and will poach anyone they know is already going to buy more than $69.95

Glasses for $69.95 is all the company advertises, but you are told to not sell below $200.

There is almost no training. You will be handed a book and told to take open book tests that aren't all in the book, and will be reprimanded if you don't finish the tests on time while being put out on the floor and expected to perform your normal duities.

You can be fired for having no training.

If they don't want you to work there anymore, they will start writing you up for lower numbers on sales and being 1 minute late.

The staff speaks poorly about eachother from location to location.

They want more part time employees than full time, and full time is hard to get even if you are the perfect employee. Time off and benefits are only for full time.

GMs get moved around and are unhappy.

Assistant managers are not trained well and are just told to handle all the bad customers.
Pros
Will pay for your ABO if you pass, health care for full time, 1.5% commission for opticians.
Cons
No breaks unless you smoke, long hours, bad training, upper management will constantly threaten you with write ups.
A place where you can get stuck...
Optician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 20, 2016
You work really hard for those .20 cent raises. Where your employer does not really care for you or what happens to you. You are not properly educated or trained. You are thrown in and expected to lie about not having labs over seas, it's just not a great place to work. They have no respect,
Pros
Hour lunches, good PTO
Cons
No respect, no training
free glasses once a year
Optometrist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJuly 26, 2016
The Doctors are great never a dull moment always something to do you meet new people ,chance for advancement and job transfers company is big easy to relocate bonuses and store prizes company is good
Pros
you get a free pair of glasses once a year
Cons
schedule always changes
management is a joke
Optician (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 11, 2016
i worked for national vision for 6 years....nothing nice to say, beware
i was bullied and treated poorly. when you become a manager at National Vision..it almost seems as though the manager is required to be lazy and do absolutely nothing but delegate
Pros
the doctor
Cons
poor and lazy management
Nothing positive to say
Optometric Technician (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 25, 2016
Too much drama, not enough pay for all the bad stuff we have to put up with from patients and from managers. Horrible place to work-stay far away if you can.
Pros
Cons
horrible pay and management
Bad place for managers and doctors to work
Store manager (Former Employee) –  NationalAugust 28, 2013
Like other reviewers have said, you can't fire lazy or incompetent people without a long, drawn out process, so all of the good people quit. You have unrealistic sales goals and you will get fired if you don't meet them. Docs are expected to do an exam every five minutes - this is crazy, so good docs all quit. Although upper management seems good, DM was a vindictive, petty, retaliatory type who made life miserable for everyone she came in contact with.

Although upper management talks a good game, there is little real effort to increase sales on their part, but expect employees to have ever increasing sales.

Good parts are benefits and training for people new to the optical business.
Pros
lab work pretty good, good benefits
Cons
low pay, long hours, unrealistic sales goals. office procedures are extremely cumbersome
Terrible Company
Optician/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAMay 23, 2016
Terrible company and terrible co-workers. Horrible corporate politics. If there we're a no star option that wouldn't be low enough.
Pros
Cons
Terrible company and workplace
Liked working around people
Sales Associate and Manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDFebruary 13, 2016
I love being around people and helping them, my co workers were great. Hardest part of my job was when I had to give someone bad news and the best part was to help people have better vision. A typical day was sales and interacting with customers.
Pros
Making friendships with people
Cons
having to give bad news to customers

2.9