National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews

Friendly, collaborative workplace with an emphasis on quality
Apprentice Optician (Current Employee) –  Branford, CTDecember 12, 2017
Despite being a large corporation, working in a vision center skips a good deal of the corporate greediness such places tend to run into. The company itself is very people oriented, in regards both to patients and employees.

As with any large organization there are issues that could be solved on a store level that instead require waiting for a corporate policy change, but the consistency of its self-auditing does help keep quality of work and regulatory compliance in focus.
Pros
Eyewear benefits, travel reimbursement, transparent, accessible management, quality, access to information and training
Cons
Rare overtime, inefficient filing system, no say in frame options
Production
Quality control and Shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 6, 2017
Very fast process in work order, learning different ways of assembly, how to reboot or truobleshoot machinery, orders must to be place always in time.
Pros
Very active
Cons
Poor management
Too Much Work Not Enough Compensation or Growth
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 4, 2017
I do not recommend working for this company if you want any sort of work life balance. If you want to work for a HR department that is zero help and an upper management team that is more worried about working as little as possible while you work 50+ then this is the company for you. I felt guilty continually hiring people saying that this would be a great place for you to work when I really knew how terrible not only the business model is but how under paid they would be compared to other competitors.
If you have any self worth and have a true desire to be in the optical field stay far away from National Vision Inc.
Pros
PTO Plans, 401k, Full Benefits, Co-workers
Cons
Upper Management, HR Department, Salary, Hours Worked
Can be relaxed if everyone does what they are suppose to be doing.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2017
I feel that a lot of the time not everyone did what they had to do. That caused for many of the other workers, myself included, stuck doing the work of two. You can talk to supervisors about it but things will never change here. That's why two of my ex-coworkers left also. I have worked here two years and same thing. The Manager here is very nice, professional and works well with you, but can't say the same for everyone else.
Pros
Get coupons and a discount on glasses
Cons
Everyone does what they want, unprofessional.
the district has alot of issues
area manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 25, 2017
The company has great benefits including paid time off. Very fast paced company, which makes the day fly by. You must be able to multi task, this is very important.
Regret I quit
Optical Technician/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MINovember 17, 2017
I really liked working there I did not know I had it in me to do sales. I had to quit due to management, there was high turnover rate especially in management. It is room to advance quickly, free meals sometimes and always learning. Wish I did not quit but it was experience gained.
Pros
Discount, meals, patients
Cons
High turnover, poor management
Fun work place
Manager/Certified Optician (Current Employee) –  Cannon AFB, NMNovember 13, 2017
Great place to work. There were times when the day was super long because you are only 1 of 2 associates in the store. Hard to get coverage if someone resigns
Cons
no breaks if you are only one in small office
Poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Castleton, INNovember 9, 2017
National Vision allow people to work in a Hostile environment and not do anything about it when reported. I would say that whoever applies here please be careful of your managers.
Pros
Great Docotors
Cons
Poor Management
Great company
Optical Manager (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAOctober 30, 2017
10 years and still love my job. The pto is a huge benefit. My upper management is very supportive. Great team mentality. They offer commission and bonuses.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Retail hours and inside walmart.
fun
Optician (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAOctober 26, 2017
loved working here, great atmosphere, interacted with customers on a daily basis, life style selling. all around great with room to make commission on tope of your basic pay.

Want to know more about National Vision, Inc.?

Ask a question
Large Corporation Acting Like A Small Company
Systems Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAOctober 26, 2017
The company used to be great but now that its retail locations have surpassed 1000 stores but the corporate office is still a handful of people you end up overworked, underpaid and expected to reach unrealistic goals. You end up so spread thin and end up doing so many things not listed on your job description. The company reacts to everything and there are no proactive procedures. You're constantly putting out fires and you end up micromanaged because management either doesn't seem to get the picture that they're understaffed of higher ups just aren't doing anything.
Pros
free glasses i guess
Cons
poor management, underpaid, overworked, unrealistic expectations, no room for advancement
keep looking
Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 24, 2017
worked as a manager for 12 years. while i loved my coworkers and doctors middle management was a nightmare. it seemed that their only task was to be constantly on the look out for managers to fire. as a manager it was nearly impossible for us to terminate an employee but our jobs were always being threatened and always on the line. Very stressful and it resulted in a situation where you stopped caring and were only there to collect a pay check. it's to bad because it's a great industry and very rewarding.
Pros
paid time off, liberal vacation time
Cons
horrible regional management
Great company to wok for, awesome to our customers.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYOctober 14, 2017
Ensuring our customers have the best experience is a priority. Self-motivated, organized and detailed-oriented with an ability to multitask while working in a fast-paced environment.
Love this company!
Not too bad
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed it here. I had to relocate and that forced me to change jobs otherwise i may gave stayed. Adequate training and work life balance. Management wasn't great but pretty much left you alone
Pros
401k PTO and flexible schedule
Cons
No room for advancement
LOVE my job
Optical Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 8, 2017
I love my job and everyone I work with. It's been aso great past year look forward to more years. Feels more like a family then a job. My managers are the best ever
Enter the Twilight Zone
Director (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAOctober 5, 2017
Would not recommend working at the home office.

It's like Mad Men but without the alcohol and cigarettes. 1970's management style, unfriendly employees and culture, tons of turf battles and silos. Poor treatment of employees. The company is growing at 10%+ per year but can only give employees 3% increases for superior performance. Won't let employees purchase company stock but claims the company is a great investment, etc etc. Stay away.
Pros
Growing Company in a Growing Industry
Cons
Pretty Much Everything Else
Fun work place! I loved it here and learned so much!
Optician/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAOctober 2, 2017
I have absolutely enjoyed my time here at National Vision. I was very happy to have had another opportunity to work at the Fort Benning location. Doyal has been the most amazing manager I could have ever asked for. He has taught me so much in the times I have been here and I am forever grateful!
Administrative Responsibilities for External Personnel
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 2, 2017
When working at National Vision, I was responsible for alleviating many of the administrative headaches for District Managers and Managers out in the field.
Pros
Close Team Work Environment
Cons
Job Position was eventually eliminated.
average
Licensed Optician (Former Employee) –  Middle Island, NYOctober 1, 2017
worked there until better paying position was offered by another company. management showed favoritism. The training program needed improvement especially for the unlicensed sales associates
hardest part
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 28, 2017
In the first 1 you are told your hands will get use to it, but 3 months later no difference. I am now still having problems. I really didn't feel as if I could go to management. I told my trainer multiple times my hands were getting bad, but nothing was offered.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Vision, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9