National Vision, Inc.

National Vision, Inc. Employer Reviews

No opportunity for advancement
Vision Center Manager/ Field Trainer (Former Employee), Newburgh, NYNovember 16, 2013
Pros: non
After 14 years i was thrown out like the garbage by the district manager who has abolutley no experience in the optical industry. Management definatley plays favorites! KEEP LOOKING!!!
Fun place to work, got to know customers.
Optical Assistant (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CONovember 14, 2013
Pros: lots of nice people.
Cons: worked alone sometimes so no breaks.
Interaction with customers was always top priority. Talking with the customer and finding out what their needs were. Taking measurements, discussing all options, making the sale was the main focus. We had many repeat customers, so getting to know them was fun. My manager always had contests and games going for us to succeed. My coworkers are still my – more... friends 6 yrs. later. The most enjoyable part would have to be the customer interaction, you learn a lot about people everyday. – less
Keep Looking
Supported Optometrist (Former Employee), Orange Park, FLNovember 13, 2013
Pros: great co workers, healthcare, closed sundays
Cons: no support, conflicts of interest between od and nvi, low wages, long hours, high stress
This company has a very impressive philosophy, that gives you the impression that it will be a great place to work. The group I worked with was the best staff I have had in my 15 years in the business, and that it why I stayed as long as I did (2 years).

I worked on the sales floor, in the lab and the clinic, mostly sales for my first year, clinic – more... my second and lab on an as needed basis. The corporate practices of NVI in theory should give a great balance between customer service and profits, however the way district management forces you to implement them accomplish nothing but angering the customer.

The Doctor's office, in compliance with FL law is independent. That being said, they use NVI employs to run the doctor's office, including scheduling and payments. This puts the tech in a very difficult situation, where they are stuck between the doctor and their employer. On several occasions I was forced to work up patients, knowing the Doctor would refuse to see them, and it would just make us look unprofessional. They expect you to schedule patients from 9:00am 12:45pm then from 2:00pm to 5:45pm the Doctor's Hours are from 9 to 6 luch from 1 to 2. You are instructed to schedule full exams every 15 mins and follow ups and pathology on the 5s. Example:
12:00 Full contact lens exam new patient previous wearer
12:05 possible conjunctivitis
12:15 Full exam
12:30 Full exam
12:35 Contact follow up
12:45 Full contact lens exam new patient new wearer

This was a typical booking. Obviously, when you have a schedule like this neither the tech or the Doctor will get to go to lunch. The office set up is 1 pretest room, 2 exam lanes, 1 doctor and 1 tech. Even the fastest most efficient tech and doc team cannot get a patient pretested, complete the exam and insertion and removal training in 15 mins.

They also have a policy of starting new employees out at 9/hr and the raises are very low. I was offered another position and they raised my wage to match my offer to retain me, for most non management (and some management) at this company it is very hard to make a living. – less
Friendly and supportive staff
Receptionist (Current Employee), Lansing, MINovember 6, 2013
Opportunity for growth within the organization, hard working staff within a busy retail optical center.
interesting work inviroment
Asst Manager/optical (Former Employee), Auburn, NYOctober 16, 2013
My day starts out pretty good getting the crew an the Doctors all on the sane paige an ready for a good day at work,Every day I try to learn something new.I love working with the clients that we have learning their life showing them the new looks in eye wear an how the right glasses work an how the wrong ones do what they do oh so wrong.Helping a little – more... one see what they haven';t seen so good an the look on their tiny faces,to help someone who is down perk up just by taking my time with them to listen to them.I love what I do – less
Performed various lab duties, earned Top Sales Associate
Optical Sales Technician (Former Employee), Aberdeen, NCOctober 15, 2013
Fitted and evaluated proper contact lenses and eyewear fittings for customers. Generated daily and monthly financial reports; increasing customer intake significantly.
Productive, growing experience with great people
Data Entry (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAOctober 14, 2013
Pros: great people, benefits, vacation, schedule and opportunity
National Vision is the best business I have had the opportunity to get to work for. Every day was a great day and a learning experience. Co-workers worked as a team and management was a wonderful support system with an open door policy. I learned something ever day and loved it. I started as a picker and within my first few weeks i was put in WOE sale – more... for their special order frames. Withing a few months I was doing their data entry and overseeing cross dock. I helped Noel our computer programer come with new ideas for the system set up of cross dock. I honestly can not think of one thing I would say was hard about the job because I loved every day and every challenge. – less
Dedication to customers is a must.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oneonta, NYOctober 11, 2013
Pros: sales incentive
Cons: short breaks
Hardest part of the job is the management... he has too much difficulty separating work and real life and it makes the work environment hostile. Hence me looking for employment else where.
Most enjoyable aspect of the job is the return customers that enjoyed the service from beginning to end. I will miss them all, as the company strived to be very involved – more... with our community. – less
Busy
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: good coffee
Cons: the pay
Great company, close knit work environment, learn a lot about glasses, brands, shipping and receiving, terrible pay.
Productive and fun enviornment
Optical Technician (Former Employee), Alexandria, LAOctober 9, 2013
Working with a great group of co-workers and great supervisor. A typical day would be team work which included everyone including the manager
Cross trained for everything and delegation and teamwork
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lincoln Park, MISeptember 22, 2013
Pros: benefits such as vacation time and health insurance.
Cons: lack of proper training, and lack of profesionalism
A day at work starts right when we open those doors at 9am.
People come in for exams, adjustments, problems, or to pick their order up.
Ive learned a lot. I went into the Optical field from a Doctors office I worked at and my steady job at mcdonalds that i carried for 5 years. I learned all about payroll, more customer service skills, all about any – more... type of eyeglass prescriptions, including lens materials and coatings.
I know just about every brand of contact lenses out there.
I learned that I was naturally good at leading, being as I was recruited for manager at both of my long term jobs. When I ended up selling, I learned it cane natural to me and I love it.
The hardest part of my job might be delegating things like cleaning at the end of the day to my older employees. I soon gained their respect with my professionalism and we worked as a team.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people. I absolutely love working with people all day and not to mention Pre Optomoetry is what I am studying right now, so of course I love being in the enviroment, learning and perfecting my skills.
I have trained receptionists, VA technicians, Opticians, and new managers. – less
long hours great people to work with
Bench Technician (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GASeptember 16, 2013
get two days off each week. once a month youll have five days off. little money 10 hours days but the coworkers made it worth while. free gym to use
calm, collective, slow pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hemet, CAAugust 29, 2013
Pros: free glasses
Cons: pay and commission are very weak
company faced buy out from wallmart, not sure if they have been bought out or not but they cut back hours accross the board even on full time employees along with some lay offs. easy job all and all though, basic sales, commission, no spiffs, free glasses voucher every year.
Bad place for managers and doctors to work
Store manager (Former Employee), NationalAugust 28, 2013
Pros: lab work pretty good, good benefits
Cons: low pay, long hours, unrealistic sales goals. office procedures are extremely cumbersome
Like other reviewers have said, you can't fire lazy or incompetent people without a long, drawn out process, so all of the good people quit. You have unrealistic sales goals and you will get fired if you don't meet them. Docs are expected to do an exam every five minutes - this is crazy, so good docs all quit. Although upper management seems good, DM – more... was a vindictive, petty, retaliatory type who made life miserable for everyone she came in contact with.

Although upper management talks a good game, there is little real effort to increase sales on their part, but expect employees to have ever increasing sales.

Good parts are benefits and training for people new to the optical business. – less
fast paced, competitive atmosphere
Optician (Former Employee), Grants Pass, ORAugust 21, 2013
Pros: i got paid every two weeks
Cons: no support, no leadership, no promotions, no quality for the price your paying.
After working there for ten months I learned that the company doesn't follow through with contest they put on to boost sales. they say they want to promote with in the company but when proven you can do the job they hire outside. No support from upper command. A typical day would consist of trying to sell the customer the most additives on there glasses. – more... if you don't meet the qualities that the company wants you to sell you get written up. The Management doesn't help just plays games on their phones. The Co workers complain about working there and the other people they had to work with. The Hardest part was having to meet the extremely high expectations of the company even when the store was completely empty. The most enjoyable part was when I could clock out and go home. – less
Fun work place.
Sales Associate/Secretary (Former Employee), Fort Jackson SCAugust 19, 2013
Sales, order entry, Filing, ordering, he hardest part of the jobs was difficult customers.
Stinks. Keep looking for a job.
Former doctor. (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 10, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything except health insurance.
Horrible horrible place to work. They schedule 90 patients on one day, jeapodizing your license and the health of the patients. No job security, they tell you that the practice can't run without you but if you complain that you are overworked they can you. They brainwash you to think that you are independent but its bull. A terrible experience. Makes – more... you hate the profession. It's prostituted. – less
People-Oriented Employer
ADMINISTRATIVE/CUSTOMER SUPPORT (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAAugust 7, 2013
Pros: company culture fosters happy and empowered employees.
Cons: sadly, my position was not challenging, my skills were underutilized.
The day-to-day responsibilities of the position were easy.
Best customers in the world to work with - very helpful and patient.
Nicest co-workers, also very helpful and pleasant to be around.
Management very relaxed, yet professional, empowering employees to perform on their own, while promoting an open-door policy to maintain approachability for coaching/guidance.
Company – more... meetings were informative and fun.
Company culture shows that it values employees and customers - believing that happy employees make happy customers. – less
Very productive
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAAugust 5, 2013
Not my type of environment considering management however I enjoyed my time working for this company
Great staff and doctor to work with.
ABO Certified Optician (Current Employee), Vienna, WVJuly 16, 2013
I have been in the optical field for over 20 years and have worked from sales, in the finishing lab to manager of 3 different locations. I enjoy working with new patients on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know more about my patients and then helping them get their needs and wants taken care of at a reasonable rate.

About National Vision, Inc.

National Vision, Inc. (NVI) is the fourth largest optical retailer in the United States, operating over 700 retail locations in – Read more