National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews

Okay if you can handle it
Lab Tech I (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 21, 2017
Start early in the morning, and I usually will run either fining machines (to fine lenses), deblock lenses (from their fixtures), coating machines (to coat the lenses in a protective covering), or will melt and collect alloy. I have learned about vision and how to create glasses. Management is okay. Some members are very communicative, others not so much. There is a very diverse group to work with. The hardest part of the job is getting up early and getting dirty with strange (non-toxic) chemicals. I enjoy working with many of the people there and being able to be in my own zone and listen to my MP3.
Pros
Free glasses of your choice, health insurance, incentive pay
Cons
Overtime required during busy season, getting up early, very wearing on the body.
Just don't
Bench Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 12, 2017
A terrible work environment. What I would imagine a Nike factory in Vietnam to be like. Continually understaffed. Your low wage will be accompanied by unrealistic expectations. Management more interested in following procedure than improving the process. No fun at all.
Cons
short breaks to a distant breakroom
productive, fun, knowledgeable
Optical Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAMay 8, 2017
One of the best jobs I had. Great emloyees, awesome boss, and the training was excellent. I would love to work at another one of there locations.Too bad there is none in Lawton.
Love the benefits.
Optical Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 5, 2017
Wish there was more training done. Went through a few general managers in such a short period. It was very stressful and the turnover rate was high. Love the benefits though.
not valued as an employee
Dispensing Optician (Former Employee) –  Keesler AFB, MSMay 4, 2017
At national vision you are not valued as an employee, store management is horrible then when you try to reach out to your district management they are horrible as well..
Cons
horrible managemet team
Productive and fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 20, 2017
I would start my day out on the phones taking orders, checking on orders, answering billing questions.

Learned how to read Optical Prescriptions.

The management team was wonderful, always there to help you.
Great Work Place
CONTACT LENS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North Hills, PAApril 17, 2017
I loved working for National Vision. The hours were not great but the commission,benefits,advancement all great. I've met a lot of really nice people while working there, I would recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Great benefits, free glasses every year
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Great place to learn the optical industry
Optometric Sales Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 14, 2017
A typical day of work was to greet patients coming in, assisting with appointments, pulling insurance for patients for dr's appointments or materials purchases (glasses or contacts), keeping the store clean, traying up orders and communicating with the lab technician and licensed optician.
Overall good, but could be better
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 11, 2017
Very sales goal oriented and sometimes unreasonable with projections. Lack of respect between general managers and employees. They often go unchecked while the employees have many things put on their backs to achieve. Company culture is overall good.
Pros
Contests, Rewards, hourly pay and performance-based bonus
Cons
Management, sale goals
Productivity
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2017
It is my opinion that management should learn how to listen first and then respond accordingly to what the employee has to say. Don't attack them, listen
Pros
you get an hour for lunch
Cons
working on Saturdays is mandatory
A Changing Corporation
Licensed Optician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 7, 2017
Started out as great place to work. We were making goals building customers for life, making quality eyeglass, and having fun doing it.Why then does a company go more corporate? I don't know. They changed the management, which changed the entire environment. Micromanaged people who didn't need it, always looking for what you could do better, never celebrating what you already do so well. Getting to know your associates, what makes them motivated. And utilizing their skills to assist others. They have lost control because they have lost a major focal point, a blind spot as we would say in the industry," The Associates".
Pros
Fellow associates, Professional
Learning environment
Sales Associate, Welcome Patients (Former Employee) –  Oneida, NYApril 7, 2017
It was a good place to work. You learned many different techniques, but it was a great place to work at. I enjoyed my time while I was there, and learned very fast.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not everyone helped
The Military Division is awesome!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 30, 2017
I have worked for a few of the major players in the industry, and have found National Vision's Military Division to be the best place I have ever worked. Not to mention we have the best customers in the world. I plan to retire here.
Pros
Good Compensation, Great Customers, A Company That Cares, Great CEO
Great customers many ways to advance in company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2017
Management is terrible no matter what location you work at, only positive thing about this company is the fact there are ways to advance but be prepared to deal with childish managers and catty employees
Pros
Advancement
Cons
The place is only as nice as the people in it
Team Member (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 23, 2017
This company is the epitome of wasted potential; they have good ideas but terrible execution. They started out with a plan and proceeded to slowly loose their way and miss their gaol. They have too many demands that are both unrealistic and not helpful; they want things done not because that' s the way to grow a business but because it's the way to please upper management. They are notorious for hiring unqualified individuals in higher places and then they're shocked when things don't go their way. Middle management is the place to be for those who don't know anything about optical or dealing with people. They mistreat those with experience and promote the inexperienced. They ask for too much for the compensation they offer.
Pros
Bi-Weekly pay. A good local work environment for those who are lucky enough. Floating holidays. PTO.
Cons
Overworked: under payed. Management. Conference calls. Unrealistic expectations.
Great Company
Regional Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 23, 2017
I worked for this compay for almost 20 years. The company says it believes that family comes first, but will not let you practice it. They will not be completely tell you if you are doing a good job or not.
Pros
Traveling a lot
Cons
Traveling a lot
very nice place to work you learn a lot and have the opportunity to grow
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAFebruary 14, 2017
I've really enjoyed working for National Vision Inc it's been a great experience I've learned a lot and have grown a lot I definitely recommend this company for anyone who can function in a high volume environment and wishes to grow in a company
Great patients and customers, horrible managment
Sales Associate and exam tech (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLFebruary 13, 2017
Pros
Excellent customer service oppertunity. Loved the idea of going in everyday and working with people of all backrounds. Doctors were great. Hands on experiance helped build skills.

Cons
Managers definitely play favoritism. They hace a "do as i say not as i do" concept. Change rules as it benefits them. Tardiness only matters for newcomers and if you show them you know how to do your job very well they will force you to do the job of other more lazy employees. Takes advantage of those that actually want and do the work.
always busy
I would assist patients after their exams (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZFebruary 9, 2017
This vision center is located inside Wal-Mart so it is always busy. Adjustments, eye exams and ordering glasses is so convenient so there is never a shortage on patients!
Pros
free eye exams and glasses every year
Cons
insurance look up is a pain!
Professional and friendly
OD tech (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CO 80015February 5, 2017
The work was good and doctor is professional and pleasant.
For the required responsibilities of one person running the doctors office, scheduling, pretesting, checking pt. in while answering phones pretesting and bouncing back and forth between the desk and exam rooms, I feel that the rate of pay is not fair. I do enjoy the work very much, but I believe my skills are not being used to the full potential.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Vision, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9