National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Produtive and great to work for
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be to setup and monitoring the machine.
I also learned the atmosphere is great for learning good leadership
skills.
Horrible management, no training
Apprentice optician (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAJanuary 6, 2016
I worked there for almost 2 months and I enjoyed working with the customers. However, it is difficult to assist customers when the manager is rarely on site and fails to train you properly. The manager did not care if customers received their glasses in a timely manner and if they had issues after collecting money, she did not care to remedy the problem because she did not want it to cost her money. The turn around at this store is terrible! Hr doesn't care to help you and doesn't return your calls, so if you have issues with your manager then you should suck it up, transfer or quit.
Pros
Great career opportunity
Cons
Poor management, poor HR, poor district manager, lack of quality customer service
Reall enjoyed the job
CERTFIED OPTHALMIC TECNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2016
Pre test of patients,answering phones.Scheduled appointments;retrieve patient files.Learned alot about eye health.Leaning to operate office equipment.Management overall was not always pleasant to deal with.My co workers I enjoyed very much,had many over the years.Hardest part of job was always trying to meet your daily quota required by company.Most enjoyable was meeting new people everyday,each one was very different
And learning new things.
Pros
ALOT OF VACATION TIME
Cons
CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT
Great Company, but looking for more
Optician (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXDecember 30, 2015
Overall that company is a great company to work for. I assist patients with their optical needs and advising them on what would best suit their optical needs. I wear many hats at my current job (receptionist, optician, maintenance and I.T. support) even though my official title is an optician. The most difficult challenge is explaining the prescription and insurance benefits that patients have when they are not that familiar with optical at all. It can become repetitive and mundane at work, but the family atmosphere that my coworkers bring to the job makes the day much easier to handle.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, business hours
Cons
Mundane and repetitave after awhile
Daily routine.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 5, 2015
The minute i walk into the Vision Center I have to make sure the money drawer is right with the money. Then I do my daily routine of checking on my patients glasses, patients contacts delivery, and making sure all balance due on my patients are up to date. I love being able to help people understand their eye prescription as well as helping them pick out the correct glasses for them.
Pros
good pay and good hours.
Cons
no benefits.
help customer with eye care an eyewear needed
Optician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 3, 2015
i enjoyed my time there but management was very poor there, its was a very good place to work but manger was not very professional.
Fast paced,customer service patient care
Optician (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIOctober 11, 2015
Can be a fun place to work. Although it does get quite busy and you must work at a fast pace with accuracy. Can be rewarding when things go well.
Retail Optical/Medical Practice
Assistant Eyeglass Manager, Dual Licensed Optician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2015
This job involves interaction between store employees and optometry patients. Patients see the OD on staff for a eyeglass or contact lens prescription that is then filled by the opticians on staff. The environment is typical of a retail establishment where an exchange of money for merchandise and services is routinely performed. The hardest part of the job is ensuring a successful sale that results in a satisfied customer. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the patients.
Pros
Decent benefits, bonus program and salary. Pleasant interaction with co-workers and most patients.
Cons
Issues with service deadlines and manufacturing quality, difficult to promote from within, non-supportive management.
Love this company
Optician (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PASeptember 29, 2015
Very fun and friendly work environment. Proffessional and very knowledgable employees. Awesome experience working there.
Fun place to work
Special Project and Event Lead (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GASeptember 16, 2015
Great place to work.Inspirational CEO. Aging executive leadership poses problems in moving company forward, but they are bringing in younger talent.
Very little opportunity for advancement
Store Manager/ Certified Optician (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTAugust 24, 2015
I was a store manager for over 3 years. I loved working with my customers and employees. My job was basically to keep the store staffed and achieve monthly sales budgets. You were expected to do this with "outreach marketing." The main promotions rarely change and you market by sending your staff out with a Rubbermaid cart to hand out flyers in Walmart (that remained essentially unchanged for my entire tenure). You work 45 hours+ per week, with split days off. So not great work/life balance. Few managers ever get promoted so expect to be in the same position for a very long time.
Pros
Enjoyed Customers and coworkers
Cons
Stressful sales goals, monotony, no career development or advancement
National Vision Inc
Optician, customer service sales associate (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAAugust 19, 2015
The job was fast paced so I was always on my toes. The management was fair and made daily work comfortable. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different insurance companies per each client. The coworkers were great, always felt welcome and ready to proceed with the day in an upbeat manner. The best part of the job was talking to people and making their day better with their new pair of glasses.
Best part of my job
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIJuly 28, 2015
Love working with Customers and making them happy. Always a joy to put a smile on the face of someone who had vision trouble, or picking out that perfect pair of glasses.
Over work, no positive feedback.
Optician (Former Employee) –  St. LouisJuly 18, 2015
High turn over in their stores. If they make you salary, be prepared for 50+ hours a week, when you should only work 45. District manager is overworked and employees are made to be afraid of when the big bosses come.

Stores have 30-50 patients per day.

Doctors are overworked and unhappy.

No reward for doing a good job. You will be punished and "talked to" every time your numbers aren't up to par anymore. Opticians fight for charts and will poach anyone they know is already going to buy more than $69.95

Glasses for $69.95 is all the company advertises, but you are told to not sell below $200.

There is almost no training. You will be handed a book and told to take open book tests that aren't all in the book, and will be reprimanded if you don't finish the tests on time while being put out on the floor and expected to perform your normal duities.

You can be fired for having no training.

If they don't want you to work there anymore, they will start writing you up for lower numbers on sales and being 1 minute late.

The staff speaks poorly about eachother from location to location.

They want more part time employees than full time, and full time is hard to get even if you are the perfect employee. Time off and benefits are only for full time.

GMs get moved around and are unhappy.

Assistant managers are not trained well and are just told to handle all the bad customers.
Pros
Will pay for your ABO if you pass, health care for full time, 1.5% commission for opticians.
Cons
No breaks unless you smoke, long hours, bad training, upper management will constantly threaten you with write ups.
Being an Optician is Great, but high pressure sales makes me worried about job security down the road
Optician (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORJuly 18, 2015
Typical day involves counting the till, opening and closing the store, interacting with patients and sensitive medical data or information, optical measurments and use of optical equipment, recommendation for products and upselling where applicable. I learned the in and out of optical measurement and skills. Local managment is great, but district managment frequently is unaware of local issues and is slow to react to needs of employees. Great overall work environment, hard to deal with lab error and extremely high pressure sales goals.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, PTO, Vacation Time
Cons
Little Breaks, Long Days to balance a 40 hour week, Comparing non related store branches
Low pay grade
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville,GAJuly 6, 2015
Shifts starts at 6 am,ends at 2.30,but it can change.Learned everything about glasses.Different types of personalities.
Pros
Good vacation time
Cons
Expensive healthcare
Great place to work and grow
Dispensing Optician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moody AFB, GAJuly 3, 2015
wonderful environment, great on the job training, getting to work hands on and one on one with your customers was a great experience.. great team work and co workers
Pros
great environment
Cons
pay rates are low
Always felt under appreciated
Receptionist and Front Office (Current Employee) –  miami, floridaJuly 2, 2015
overall was very happy with my co-workers. nice location, liked working with people and enjoyed the line of work. Too bad management never acknowledged any ones effort.
Pros
close by my home
Cons
lack of hours
Excellent company highly customer service focused
Manager of The Vision Center in Bozeman (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJuly 1, 2015
Fast paced environment focused on patient/customer satisfaction as well as bottom line. Great opportunities for advancement.
Great Patient care and informative Doctor for the location
Optometric Technician (Current Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJune 30, 2015
I learned how to do the pre-testing of patients before they see the Doctor, and explain to them the importance of the tests and having routine eye exams

2.9