National Youth Advocate Program

National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Great Place to do meaninguful work
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 28, 2017
NYAP lives and breathes it's mission to serve families and children. It is a quality place to learn evidenced based practice and trauma informed clinical principles. It is a team oriented environment with many caring and compassionate and innovative coworkers. There are many advancement opportunities. Management supports professional growth and transition into new roles that fit your strengths and passions. Work life balance is a difficult thing for most people in the helping profession because we struggle to turn it off. However supervisors and managers really support individuals finding this balance. I have worked at NYAP for 7 years and 17 years in a helping profession. One thing is sure if your focus is not the work it will not be the place for you. But if you have a passion that runs deep for advocacy, professional growth, team oriented environment and helping children and families to enhance strengths and find healing you will fit right in!
Pros
Professional development, flexibility, amazing clients, amazing team
Great Work Environment
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 11, 2017
Incredible opportunities in the field of social work.
Manageable Hours
Good benefits and Wages
Family feel
Some traveling, but is reimbursable
Supportive supervisors
Good Social Service Agency in NWI
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 27, 2016
The Merrillville office is a great place to work. It's very clean. The environment is peaceful and professional. Management is supportive. She is interested in your ideas, and ways to improve the company, and provide better service delivery to clients. Working in social work is very stressful period! This office promotes better work life balance and that's nice.
Pros
Unlimited learning and support
Cons
Some stress becuase of the type of work we do
Great Place to Learn and Work
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 12, 2017
NYAP is a fun and exciting place for you to spread your social work wings. You are able to help children and families in need. You are able to build and establish strong relationships with your foster families and children you work with. It helps build strong relationships with your colleagues where you grow and learn from one another.

It provides personal joy and satisfaction in helping a youth heal from significant trauma. You are able to help a family and child achieve permanency whether it's through reunification or adoption.

It's a family oriented atmosphere which promotes, growth, change, and innovation. It provides support and guidance and there is always someone willing to assist in need. The NYAP staff supports and encourages creativity and is always open to new ideas to help our youth and the families we serve.
Pros
Flexibilty, Establishing Good Relationships
High demands and high stress
Family Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2016
This job was made out to be something it is not. Several of the coordinators I work with are also frustrated and looking for jobs elsewhere. Not only are the case loads inconsistent which causes issues with your paycheck, but the most frustrating part aside from the management, is the unrealistic expectations for the coordinators. One example of unrealistic expectations is expecting extensive documentation to be completed and turned in within 3 days in addition to spending most of the day in meetings and conferences. This means the only time to complete documentation is at home in the evening. The coordinators are often mistaken for the caseworker because of how heavily involved we are and how much NYAP expects from us. It is a very high stress job with a high turn-over. In all honesty, the worst part about the job is the Region 1 Supervisor's lack of professionalism and passive aggressive behavior. This job has potential, but with out-of-pocket expenses, no compensation or benefits, unrealistic expectations, and weak leadership, it has placed too much stress on many of the coordinators and their families.
Pros
Working with the families
Cons
Unprofessional leadership and unrealistic expectations
Not helpful and deceptive mnanagement
Case Manager/Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 5, 2017
It appears to be user friendly and the training aspect is not good at all as the management does not help you in a appropriate manner so that you can learn the ropes and not make a mistake. They do not correct you they just up and fire you so be careful as they seem so user friendly and kind and really are not .
Pros
Cons
No lunch breaks or breaks in general - eat at you rdesk
Baptism by Fire
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NYAP Cincinnati, OHSeptember 14, 2016
The mission statement is awesome, but the operations at Cincinnati is far from that. Management did not provide adequate training, Unrealistic expectations. Clinical Supervisor is very indecisive and is easily influenced by Regional Manager. Management covers themselves under all circumstances which includes firing you if you challenge them. Revolving door which will impact your caseload drastically. Interns are used mainly for transports. Forced to make almost every conversation a billable one. Money Hungry. Other counties have caught on and refuse to place youth with them.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Regional Manager, Clinical Supervisor, double standards, Paperwork
Just don't!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2016
Don't dare speak your mind or stand up for yourself.
Don't you dare get sick! Or you better start looking for another job.
The work load was very minimal not enough to get you through a work day.
Favoritism is high.
Management can leave for a 3hour lunch but you are gone 30 minutes it's a no no!
I worked at the Cincinnati location and they wonder why their turn over rate is so high and they can't keep homes and have a bad name in the community.
Some front office staff has too much on their plate while others has barely nothing to do.
Knowledge of employees seems to be lacking!
Pros
Light work load, flexible schedule, other staff is good
Cons
Not enough work, double standard, rude
Too much turn over in staff
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 3, 2016
I have been a foster parent for many years in NYAP, through this time staff is always changing. It is very hard to open our homes not only to youth, but also to NYAP staff, just to have them constantly leaving and being replaced. This is hard on foster parents and foster children. Upper management stop getting rid of our TC's to save your own butts. Pay these people more money and turn around not be so high.
Pros
There are always children to be placed.
Cons
Paperwork.
This job will teach you case management, child welfare, foster care, and juvenile justice system
Family Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2015
A typical day at NYAP requires you to be in the field/community 80 percent of the day. You will have very limited hours in the office to complete the abundance of required paperwork/documentation. This job will put a lot of mileage on your personal vehicles with low mileage reimbursement. There is limited mobility and advancement at this job due to lack of managerial positions. The worst part of this job is the health and retirement benefits. The best part of this job is that it prepares you for any job in child welfare.
Pros
high level of experience.
Cons
high level of stress with lack of compenstation.

Want to know more about National Youth Advocate Program?

Ask a question
Good social agency
Qualified Mental Health Specialist/Youth Avocate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2016
Don't think there is enough support for staff from managers.
Company will not pay for damages youth conflict on your personal property unless it exceeds over $ 5000.00 ,this includes your vehicle.
Pros
Nice to be able to help children in thier time of need.
Cons
Not enough support for the Youth leaders
Opportunities to learn about child welfare that you can take anywhere you go
Family Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 18, 2016
I overall enjoyed my time with this company and enjoyed my fellow co-workers (case managers) very much. There was comraderie among us and we knew each other personally. The expectations that the management team had for us is what led to me leaving. The caseloads are high and there was little time and attention spent on balancing it all which leads to burn out. I unfortunately saw a lot of great employees leave which is sad because they were truly great people. You will gain skills, insight, knowledge, and learn a lot about human services in this position which I'm grateful for because it has helped me in my current position.
Pros
Team members (other case managers) stick together and are there for each other
Cons
Unrealistic expectations for case managers
NYAP cares about their employees and helps them advance.
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45432May 17, 2016
I have been with NYAP for 25 years this Fall. I have had the opportunity to be promoted through the years to various positions as a gained experience, growth and education.
NYAP is very flexible. I enjoy working for the organization.
I enjoy the staff and management. NYAP reflects its mission.
In my 25 years, I have seen many staff leave and eventually return to NYAP. The grass is not always greener.
I am proud to be part of the NYAP family.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff, foster youth and foster families. Hardest part of the job is the documentation, however you get this anywhere. It is social work.
I want to retire from NYAP.
Pros
staff
Cons
paperwork
let down
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMay 13, 2016
I interned with NYAP and was offered position of treatment coordinator at a different location. I was very excited since this was my first job out of school. The new location was new and there was a lack of structure and supervision, understandably, but months passed and nothing changed. For the actual work itself, I shadowed this position at my internship site but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had a supervisor that insisted that I have my work phone turned on 24/7, even on weekends, and EVEN ON VACATION! I was told that, if I wanted to show that I cared about my foster parents and children, I should be available any time. I also had to tell my supervisor when I would be going out of town (on the weekends) so she would know where I would be. I had to drive out to homes weekly/monthly that were up to an hour drive away - not to mention, working with DCS as a fostercare agency was a nightmare. My supervisor did not care about the children, leaving it up to me to receive all the problems/complaints from foster parents regarding the kids. My supervisor was only concerned with her own advancement. There were absolutely no boundaries and I did not know how, or if, I could set them. I was talked down to constantly. I brought these concerns up to upper management, which was not in our office location, and they were sympathetic but totally unhelpful. I was too excited to put in my 2 weeks but was even used/abused during those last 2 weeks.
Pros
They paid well for mileage
transportation aid for nyap of Dayton
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 23, 2016
Great management , good case workers , communication is good , pay is great. Couldn't ask for a better job. You drive your own car , get paid milage and hourly . You stay full of work. You work your own hours. Pick up the transport you want. The other transport aids are good to work with. Forster parents are all nice that I have met . I liked the company so much I became a foster parent myself.
Pros
to many to put down
Cons
i honestly dont see any
Opportunity to make a difference
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 12, 2016
With any organization, there are pros and cons, but a significant factor to me, when choosing an employer. is intention and service. Overall, this company meets this. Is everything/everyone perfect? Absolutely not, but I find them to be open to suggestions and committed to making a real difference in the lives of the people served. I believe that you get out what you put in.
Pros
Flexibility, culture of caring
Cons
Training/leadership development, consistency
Great place to work except for the inadequate benefits
n/a (Current Employee) –  n/aNovember 22, 2011
I love working here, and if you don't mind having a very high-deductible health insurance plan, I would highly recommend working here. But if you have health problems, think long and hard about it.
Pros
great atmosphere, great cause, generally treats employees well
Cons
the healthcare benefits are bad
Great mission and vision
CANEI Team Leader-Illinois (Current Employee) –  Chicago ILMarch 14, 2013
In order to get the best snapshot of working in child welfare, and being given the freedom and latitude to make a difference with underprivileged kids, NYAP is the place to work.
Pros
great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
safety in the community
I wish I would have never came here
TC (Former Employee) –  ohioMarch 29, 2015
Horrible working enviornment, very unethical decisions made daily and there is NO room for growth. I HAVE SEEN MANY OF MY COWORKERS be thrown under the bus. Kids and foster families are great. MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE. Mangment is either aggressive or has no backbone and will let you sink instead of helping you. I wish I would have did more research on this place. Extremely late nights and long hours with no extra pay. Money hungry company.
Pros
Kids
Cons
......almost everything else outside of the kids
great job!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 2, 2015
Great and supportive environment.
everyone works hard.
Learned about time management
and organization.
Flexible. able to work on your own time. the amount of pay is not enough to compensate the for the mileage put on a car and down time.
Pros
great people
Cons
the amount of work for worker is not compensated well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9