National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews in United States

Stay away as far as you can!!!!
Former Treatment coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 27, 2016
Do you like working 13 hour days? Do you like working for a poor management who won't hesitant to throw you under the bus instead of admitting their mistakes, or possibly outing you in front of your co-workers during group meetings? Do you like constantly meeting new co-workers because the previous ones quit every 2 months? Do you like being lead on in job advancement for 2+ years just to get no where? If you answered yes to these questions then by all means NYAP is the place for you. If not please stay away from this company as far away as you can. This agencies management is a joke, and their HR department must be nonexistent given the many cries there have been from TCs past and present for change just for nothing to be done. This agency has been under investigation from different counties over the last couple of years, and still no chnages have been made. This agencies ship hit an iceberg a while ago, and has been slowly sinking ever since. I can't stress enough the importance to stay away from this agency!!
Pros
Some amazing foster parents and kids, and amazing co-workers
Cons
High demands and high stress
Family Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2016
This job was made out to be something it is not. Several of the coordinators I work with are also frustrated and looking for jobs elsewhere. Not only are the case loads inconsistent which causes issues with your paycheck, but the most frustrating part aside from the management, is the unrealistic expectations for the coordinators. One example of unrealistic expectations is expecting extensive documentation to be completed and turned in within 3 days in addition to spending most of the day in meetings and conferences. This means the only time to complete documentation is at home in the evening. The coordinators are often mistaken for the caseworker because of how heavily involved we are and how much NYAP expects from us. It is a very high stress job with a high turn-over. In all honesty, the worst part about the job is the Region 1 Supervisor's lack of professionalism and passive aggressive behavior. This job has potential, but with out-of-pocket expenses, no compensation or benefits, unrealistic expectations, and weak leadership, it has placed too much stress on many of the coordinators and their families.
Pros
Working with the families
Cons
Unprofessional leadership and unrealistic expectations
Opportunity to make a difference
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 12, 2016
With any organization, there are pros and cons, but a significant factor to me, when choosing an employer. is intention and service. Overall, this company meets this. Is everything/everyone perfect? Absolutely not, but I find them to be open to suggestions and committed to making a real difference in the lives of the people served. I believe that you get out what you put in.
Pros
Flexibility, culture of caring
Cons
Training/leadership development, consistency
transportation aid for nyap of Dayton
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 23, 2016
Great management , good case workers , communication is good , pay is great. Couldn't ask for a better job. You drive your own car , get paid milage and hourly . You stay full of work. You work your own hours. Pick up the transport you want. The other transport aids are good to work with. Forster parents are all nice that I have met . I liked the company so much I became a foster parent myself.
Pros
to many to put down
Cons
i honestly dont see any
great job!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 2, 2015
Great and supportive environment.
everyone works hard.
Learned about time management
and organization.
Flexible. able to work on your own time. the amount of pay is not enough to compensate the for the mileage put on a car and down time.
Pros
great people
Cons
the amount of work for worker is not compensated well.
This job will teach you case management, child welfare, foster care, and juvenile justice system
Family Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2015
A typical day at NYAP requires you to be in the field/community 80 percent of the day. You will have very limited hours in the office to complete the abundance of required paperwork/documentation. This job will put a lot of mileage on your personal vehicles with low mileage reimbursement. There is limited mobility and advancement at this job due to lack of managerial positions. The worst part of this job is the health and retirement benefits. The best part of this job is that it prepares you for any job in child welfare.
Pros
high level of experience.
Cons
high level of stress with lack of compenstation.
Highly stressful
Treatment Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ILJuly 27, 2015
Terrible work environment. Very stressful and no backup for corporate office. High caseload with no help. Take in too many clients with no staff to service them.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
healthcare, managment
Work place is comfortable and amenable.
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 20, 2015
Overall, my experience with the company has been very
gratifying. NYAP has proven to be deeply committed to
the care and protection of its clients, and exemplifies a
high professional standard.
Pros
Good company activities.
Cons
Excessive travel.
Great place to work and learn!
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 4, 2015
I learned so much while interning at NYAP that will help me further my social work career at the bachelor level. I learned the responsibilities of all of the different positions in this agency and was very welcomed and helped by all of my colleagues.
Flexible and evolving workplace
Support staff (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 13, 2015
NYAP is very flexible, and offers employees room for growth. Management has an open-door policy. Co-workers were friendly. Communication between headquarters in Ohio to regional offices needs improvement. Training is very informal, and could use additional structure.
Great Organization but not so great staffing
Treatment Advocate (Current Employee) –  OhioApril 11, 2015
Management treat individual staff different, Standard operating procedures are not followed by staff which makes it harder to do the job. Some staff need a reality check and management needs to step up their game and not be scared to do their job. Alot of staff at several levels are not qualified to work in their positions. Hard to know who to trust and that makes for an uncomfortable environment with staff. Training is a joke in the hiring process. It seems training is needed at all levels in several areas for improvement. Pay is not great especially considering the requirements, but overtime is certainly attainable.

Best part of the job is meeting and helping new youth to succeed. They can be pretty difficult though.
Pros
working with the youth, Overtime
Cons
inconsistent/poor management, Inconsistent operating procedures, late hours, hiring unqualified staff
I wish I would have never came here
TC (Former Employee) –  ohioMarch 29, 2015
Horrible working enviornment, very unethical decisions made daily and there is NO room for growth. I HAVE SEEN MANY OF MY COWORKERS be thrown under the bus. Kids and foster families are great. MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE. Mangment is either aggressive or has no backbone and will let you sink instead of helping you. I wish I would have did more research on this place. Extremely late nights and long hours with no extra pay. Money hungry company.
Pros
Kids
Cons
......almost everything else outside of the kids
The Best Place I have worked in Social Services!!!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MattesonMarch 16, 2015
I have been in Social Services for the last 5 years, working as a case manager since 2015. I have worked for at least 4 agencies and by far National Youth Advocate Program is the best. From the Program Director on down the staff is supportive in every way. There is an open door policy that makes the work efficient and effective. The office environment is unmatched to any other. If my supervisor is not available I can go to the program director and get immediate answers. National Youth Advocate Program takes time to ensure that all foster parents and clients they serve have all their needs met in a timely fashion. The clients we serve are "high end" but the workers support one another in the best way. The office has a warm friendly and welcoming environment daily. THERE COULD NOT BE A BETTER PLACE TO WORK THAN THE NATIONAL YOUTH ADVOCATE PROGRAM!!!!
Pros
supportive teams, driven director and staff
This not the place to work or GROW
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  IndianapolisJanuary 13, 2015
NYAP is not all that it put on to be, they lied to me at my interview, they have no respect for you unless you are in there little circle. I feel sorry for the regular employees, foster parents and children. They need to be shut down as an agency!!!
Cons
not honest at all
Terrible place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILJanuary 5, 2015
At one point NYAP had a strong vision and great workers. NYAP no longer supports any of what they claim to stand for. They claim to "Care for people" and "Promote peace" but they can't even do that for their own staff. They play favoritism and treat anyone who isn't management with no respect. They do not care about the working conditions of their employees and have many complaints from their foster parents and youth and have a terrible reputation in court. They do not value anyone at all, everything is driven by money. Several people have become physically sick working here because of the work conditions. They will do their best to convince you that they're a caring organization and its a great work atmosphere but it isn't. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work here and if considering employment here to run as fast as you can. Management is by far the WORSE management I have ever dealt with, they make it very known that no one is valued and everyone is replaceable.
Pros
n/a
Cons
everything
working with children
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILAugust 22, 2014
learning and enjoying children and helping them to reach their full potiental.
Pros
working with children
Cons
n/a
Environment does not promote growth.
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILMay 22, 2014
National Youth Advocate at one time was very supportive of its employees. NYAP no longer shows that type of support. NYAP speaks upon, children are the focus and mission of the agency. However, that thinking has changed. NYAP is more focused on the bottom line of money. Children are ill matched with foster parents which causes frequent placement disruptions. Children are brought into the program like cattle. Case loads are extremely high which places the workers not to be in compliance with DCFS. Adminstration does not listen to the concerns voiced by the workers. NYAP is no longer a place to work that one is able to grow.
Pros
the clients, foster parents
Cons
too high caseload
Good place to work as a member of a team
Home Base Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 21, 2014
Good experience. Learned about child welfare system. Excellent managers and case workers. Most enjoyable part of job was working with families in need.
Pros
recognition
Cons
nothing
You will be high disappointed
TREATMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2013
National Youth Advocate Program is a disgrace to the child welfare system. The organization provides home-based services and foster care services that do not serve the best interest of the children. NYAP constantly violates state’s rules and regulations as it pertains to foster care. NYAP has several foster parents that have received multiple complaints in regards to licensing, which make it difficult to maintain children in these homes. NYAP will make TCs have caseloads that are over capacity and will not compensate TCs for any overtime worked The contract between NYAP and DCS states that caseloads for therapeutic case managers should be no more than 11, and when I was employed there on TC had 17 children on her caseload at one time. I also personal received 11 new cases in a 45 day period that I also put me over the 11 limit. NYAP managers are non-sympathetic and non-supportive to the needs of their employees; especially single mothers. They also seldom show staff appreciate or respect. While I was employed there, I received several emails from NYAP’s Indy regional manager that were disrespectful and unprofessional. NYAP’s management lacks any ethics or morals and they treat children as if they are expendable. They will do ANYTHING to get a portion of the child’s per diem even if it’s not in the best interest of the child. In Addition NYAP's management lacks managerial skills; they make reactive decisions based on their emotions rather than logical decisions that will benefit the agency. If you want to work in the child welfare system it would behoove to work with ANY other  more... agency other than NYAP  less
Pros
the children are wonderful!!!!
Cons
management, lack of flexibility to your schedule, high unmanageable case loads, delays in receiving travel reimbursement, management is inconsistent on expectations, low morale and a lack of professionalism.
clients are great
child welfare specialist (Current Employee) –  illinoisSeptember 6, 2013
Staff work hard for clients. Some programs are ineffective and management refuse to accept it.
Pros
culture and co workers are great
Cons
upper management dont value line employees. national management vision is outdated.

2.9