National Youth Advocate Program

National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews in United States

Opportunity to make a difference
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 12, 2016
With any organization, there are pros and cons, but a significant factor to me, when choosing an employer. is intention and service. Overall, this company meets this. Is everything/everyone perfect? Absolutely not, but I find them to be open to suggestions and committed to making a real difference in the lives of the people served. I believe that you get out what you put in.
Pros
Flexibility, culture of caring
Cons
Training/leadership development, consistency
transportation aid for nyap of Dayton
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 23, 2016
Great management , good case workers , communication is good , pay is great. Couldn't ask for a better job. You drive your own car , get paid milage and hourly . You stay full of work. You work your own hours. Pick up the transport you want. The other transport aids are good to work with. Forster parents are all nice that I have met . I liked the company so much I became a foster parent myself.
Pros
to many to put down
Cons
i honestly dont see any
This job will teach you case management, child welfare, foster care, and juvenile justice system
Family Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2015
A typical day at NYAP requires you to be in the field/community 80 percent of the day. You will have very limited hours in the office to complete the abundance of required paperwork/documentation. This job will put a lot of mileage on your personal vehicles with low mileage reimbursement. There is limited mobility and advancement at this job due to lack of managerial positions. The worst part of this job is the health and retirement benefits. The best part of this job is that it prepares you for any job in child welfare.
Pros
high level of experience.
Cons
high level of stress with lack of compenstation.
Opportunities to learn about child welfare that you can take anywhere you go
Family Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 18, 2016
I overall enjoyed my time with this company and enjoyed my fellow co-workers (case managers) very much. There was comraderie among us and we knew each other personally. The expectations that the management team had for us is what led to me leaving. The caseloads are high and there was little time and attention spent on balancing it all which leads to burn out. I unfortunately saw a lot of great employees leave which is sad because they were truly great people. You will gain skills, insight, knowledge, and learn a lot about human services in this position which I'm grateful for because it has helped me in my current position.
Pros
Team members (other case managers) stick together and are there for each other
Cons
Unrealistic expectations for case managers
NYAP cares about their employees and helps them advance.
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45432May 17, 2016
I have been with NYAP for 25 years this Fall. I have had the opportunity to be promoted through the years to various positions as a gained experience, growth and education.
NYAP is very flexible. I enjoy working for the organization.
I enjoy the staff and management. NYAP reflects its mission.
In my 25 years, I have seen many staff leave and eventually return to NYAP. The grass is not always greener.
I am proud to be part of the NYAP family.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff, foster youth and foster families. Hardest part of the job is the documentation, however you get this anywhere. It is social work.
I want to retire from NYAP.
Pros
staff
Cons
paperwork
Stay away as far as you can!!!!
Former Treatment coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 27, 2016
Do you like working 13 hour days? Do you like working for a poor management who won't hesitant to throw you under the bus instead of admitting their mistakes, or possibly outing you in front of your co-workers during group meetings? Do you like constantly meeting new co-workers because the previous ones quit every 2 months? Do you like being lead on in job advancement for 2+ years just to get no where? If you answered yes to these questions then by all means NYAP is the place for you. If not please stay away from this company as far away as you can. This agencies management is a joke, and their HR department must be nonexistent given the many cries there have been from TCs past and present for change just for nothing to be done. This agency has been under investigation from different counties over the last couple of years, and still no chnages have been made. This agencies ship hit an iceberg a while ago, and has been slowly sinking ever since. I can't stress enough the importance to stay away from this agency!!
Pros
Some amazing foster parents and kids, and amazing co-workers
Cons
High demands and high stress
Family Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2016
This job was made out to be something it is not. Several of the coordinators I work with are also frustrated and looking for jobs elsewhere. Not only are the case loads inconsistent which causes issues with your paycheck, but the most frustrating part aside from the management, is the unrealistic expectations for the coordinators. One example of unrealistic expectations is expecting extensive documentation to be completed and turned in within 3 days in addition to spending most of the day in meetings and conferences. This means the only time to complete documentation is at home in the evening. The coordinators are often mistaken for the caseworker because of how heavily involved we are and how much NYAP expects from us. It is a very high stress job with a high turn-over. In all honesty, the worst part about the job is the Region 1 Supervisor's lack of professionalism and passive aggressive behavior. This job has potential, but with out-of-pocket expenses, no compensation or benefits, unrealistic expectations, and weak leadership, it has placed too much stress on many of the coordinators and their families.
Pros
Working with the families
Cons
Unprofessional leadership and unrealistic expectations
was able to meet a lot of different people
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsburg, INOctober 1, 2015
loved working with the children and families
little training for the job
lack of management
on call all the time with a work phone and foster parents could call at any time of day or night
learned to conduct in home inspections for families with foster children
Pros
the families and children I worked with
Cons
management
great job!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 2, 2015
Great and supportive environment.
everyone works hard.
Learned about time management
and organization.
Flexible. able to work on your own time. the amount of pay is not enough to compensate the for the mileage put on a car and down time.
Pros
great people
Cons
the amount of work for worker is not compensated well.
let down
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMay 13, 2016
I interned with NYAP and was offered position of treatment coordinator at a different location. I was very excited since this was my first job out of school. The new location was new and there was a lack of structure and supervision, understandably, but months passed and nothing changed. For the actual work itself, I shadowed this position at my internship site but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had a supervisor that insisted that I have my work phone turned on 24/7, even on weekends, and EVEN ON VACATION! I was told that, if I wanted to show that I cared about my foster parents and children, I should be available any time. I also had to tell my supervisor when I would be going out of town (on the weekends) so she would know where I would be. I had to drive out to homes weekly/monthly that were up to an hour drive away - not to mention, working with DCS as a fostercare agency was a nightmare. My supervisor did not care about the children, leaving it up to me to receive all the problems/complaints from foster parents regarding the kids. My supervisor was only concerned with her own advancement. There were absolutely no boundaries and I did not know how, or if, I could set them. I was talked down to constantly. I brought these concerns up to upper management, which was not in our office location, and they were sympathetic but totally unhelpful. I was too excited to put in my 2 weeks but was even used/abused during those last 2 weeks.
Pros
They paid well for mileage

Want to know more about National Youth Advocate Program?

Ask a question
I wish I would have never came here
TC (Former Employee) –  ohioMarch 29, 2015
Horrible working enviornment, very unethical decisions made daily and there is NO room for growth. I HAVE SEEN MANY OF MY COWORKERS be thrown under the bus. Kids and foster families are great. MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE. Mangment is either aggressive or has no backbone and will let you sink instead of helping you. I wish I would have did more research on this place. Extremely late nights and long hours with no extra pay. Money hungry company.
Pros
Kids
Cons
......almost everything else outside of the kids
Great Organization but not so great staffing
Treatment Advocate (Current Employee) –  OhioApril 11, 2015
Management treat individual staff different, Standard operating procedures are not followed by staff which makes it harder to do the job. Some staff need a reality check and management needs to step up their game and not be scared to do their job. Alot of staff at several levels are not qualified to work in their positions. Hard to know who to trust and that makes for an uncomfortable environment with staff. Training is a joke in the hiring process. It seems training is needed at all levels in several areas for improvement. Pay is not great especially considering the requirements, but overtime is certainly attainable.

Best part of the job is meeting and helping new youth to succeed. They can be pretty difficult though.
Pros
working with the youth, Overtime
Cons
inconsistent/poor management, Inconsistent operating procedures, late hours, hiring unqualified staff
Terrible place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILJanuary 5, 2015
At one point NYAP had a strong vision and great workers. NYAP no longer supports any of what they claim to stand for. They claim to "Care for people" and "Promote peace" but they can't even do that for their own staff. They play favoritism and treat anyone who isn't management with no respect. They do not care about the working conditions of their employees and have many complaints from their foster parents and youth and have a terrible reputation in court. They do not value anyone at all, everything is driven by money. Several people have become physically sick working here because of the work conditions. They will do their best to convince you that they're a caring organization and its a great work atmosphere but it isn't. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work here and if considering employment here to run as fast as you can. Management is by far the WORSE management I have ever dealt with, they make it very known that no one is valued and everyone is replaceable.
Pros
n/a
Cons
everything
Great place to work and learn!
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 4, 2015
I learned so much while interning at NYAP that will help me further my social work career at the bachelor level. I learned the responsibilities of all of the different positions in this agency and was very welcomed and helped by all of my colleagues.
Flexible and evolving workplace
Support staff (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 13, 2015
NYAP is very flexible, and offers employees room for growth. Management has an open-door policy. Co-workers were friendly. Communication between headquarters in Ohio to regional offices needs improvement. Training is very informal, and could use additional structure.
clients are great
child welfare specialist (Current Employee) –  illinoisSeptember 6, 2013
Staff work hard for clients. Some programs are ineffective and management refuse to accept it.
Pros
culture and co workers are great
Cons
upper management dont value line employees. national management vision is outdated.
Highly stressful
Treatment Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ILJuly 27, 2015
Terrible work environment. Very stressful and no backup for corporate office. High caseload with no help. Take in too many clients with no staff to service them.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
healthcare, managment
The Best Place I have worked in Social Services!!!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MattesonMarch 16, 2015
I have been in Social Services for the last 5 years, working as a case manager since 2015. I have worked for at least 4 agencies and by far National Youth Advocate Program is the best. From the Program Director on down the staff is supportive in every way. There is an open door policy that makes the work efficient and effective. The office environment is unmatched to any other. If my supervisor is not available I can go to the program director and get immediate answers. National Youth Advocate Program takes time to ensure that all foster parents and clients they serve have all their needs met in a timely fashion. The clients we serve are "high end" but the workers support one another in the best way. The office has a warm friendly and welcoming environment daily. THERE COULD NOT BE A BETTER PLACE TO WORK THAN THE NATIONAL YOUTH ADVOCATE PROGRAM!!!!
Pros
supportive teams, driven director and staff
Work place is comfortable and amenable.
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 20, 2015
Overall, my experience with the company has been very
gratifying. NYAP has proven to be deeply committed to
the care and protection of its clients, and exemplifies a
high professional standard.
Pros
Good company activities.
Cons
Excessive travel.
Great work location and near Route I57. Great locations to find food to eat. Sam Club and Walmart near by. Office supply stores also near by.
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILJuly 30, 2012
Management was only concerned about employees that had at least several years seniority with the agency. The co-workers were clickish and made it hard for new employees to become a part of the team. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the clients reach their goals both parents and minors. What I learned was how to work at the private agency level compared to the State of Illinois higher level of performance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9