National Youth Advocate Program

National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Work place is comfortable and amenable.
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee), Merrillville, INMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good company activities.
Cons: Excessive travel.
Overall, my experience with the company has been very
gratifying. NYAP has proven to be deeply committed to
the care and protection of its clients, and exemplifies a
high professional standard.
Great place to work and learn!
INTERN (Current Employee), Merrillville, INMay 4, 2015
I learned so much while interning at NYAP that will help me further my social work career at the bachelor level. I learned the responsibilities of all of the different positions in this agency and was very welcomed and helped by all of my colleagues.
Flexible and evolving workplace
Support staff (Current Employee), IndianaApril 13, 2015
NYAP is very flexible, and offers employees room for growth. Management has an open-door policy. Co-workers were friendly. Communication between headquarters in Ohio to regional offices needs improvement. Training is very informal, and could use additional structure.
Great Organization but not so great staffing
Treatment Advocate (Current Employee), OhioApril 11, 2015
Pros: working with the youth, Overtime
Cons: inconsistent/poor management, Inconsistent operating procedures, late hours, hiring unqualified staff
Management treat individual staff different, Standard operating procedures are not followed by staff which makes it harder to do the job. Some staff need a reality check and management needs to step up their game and not be scared to do their job. Alot of staff at several levels are not qualified to work in their positions. Hard to know who to trust and that makes for an uncomfortable environment with staff. Training is a joke in the hiring process. It seems training is needed at all levels in several areas for improvement. Pay is not great especially considering the requirements, but overtime is certainly attainable.

Best part of the job is meeting and helping new youth to succeed. They can be pretty difficult though.
I WISH I WOULD HAVE NEVER CAME HERE
TC (Former Employee), ohioMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Kids
Cons: ......almost everything else outside of the kids
Horrible working enviornment, very unethical decisions made daily and there is NO room for growth. I HAVE SEEN MANY OF MY COWORKERS be thrown under the bus. Kids and foster families are great. MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE. Mangment is either aggressive or has no backbone and will let you sink instead of helping you. I wish I would have did more research on this place. Extremely late nights and long hours with no extra pay. Money hungry company.
The Best Place I have worked in Social Services!!!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee), MattesonMarch 16, 2015
Pros: supportive teams, driven director and staff
I have been in Social Services for the last 5 years, working as a case manager since 2015. I have worked for at least 4 agencies and by far National Youth Advocate Program is the best. From the Program Director on down the staff is supportive in every way. There is an open door policy that makes the work efficient and effective. The office environment is unmatched to any other. If my supervisor is not available I can go to the program director and get immediate answers. National Youth Advocate Program takes time to ensure that all foster parents and clients they serve have all their needs met in a timely fashion. The clients we serve are "high end" but the workers support one another in the best way. The office has a warm friendly and welcoming environment daily. THERE COULD NOT BE A BETTER PLACE TO WORK THAN THE NATIONAL YOUTH ADVOCATE PROGRAM!!!!
This not the place to work or GROW
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee), IndianapolisJanuary 13, 2015
Cons: not honest at all
NYAP is not all that it put on to be, they lied to me at my interview, they have no respect for you unless you are in there little circle. I feel sorry for the regular employees, foster parents and children. They need to be shut down as an agency!!!
Terrible place to work
Employee (Current Employee), Matteson, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: everything
At one point NYAP had a strong vision and great workers. NYAP no longer supports any of what they claim to stand for. They claim to "Care for people" and "Promote peace" but they can't even do that for their own staff. They play favoritism and treat anyone who isn't management with no respect. They do not care about the working conditions of their employees and have many complaints from their foster parents and youth and have a terrible reputation in court. They do not value anyone at all, everything is driven by money. Several people have become physically sick working here because of the work conditions. They will do their best to convince you that they're a caring organization and its a great work atmosphere but it isn't. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work here and if considering employment here to run as fast as you can. Management is by far the WORSE management I have ever dealt with, they make it very known that no one is valued and everyone is replaceable.
working with children
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee), Matteson, ILAugust 22, 2014
Pros: working with children
Cons: n/a
learning and enjoying children and helping them to reach their full potiental.
Environment does not promote growth.
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee), Matteson, ILMay 22, 2014
Pros: the clients, foster parents
Cons: too high caseload
National Youth Advocate at one time was very supportive of its employees. NYAP no longer shows that type of support. NYAP speaks upon, children are the focus and mission of the agency. However, that thinking has changed. NYAP is more focused on the bottom line of money. Children are ill matched with foster parents which causes frequent placement disruptions. Children are brought into the program like cattle. Case loads are extremely high which places the workers not to be in compliance with DCFS. Adminstration does not listen to the concerns voiced by the workers. NYAP is no longer a place to work that one is able to grow.
Good place to work as a member of a team
Home Base Worker (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: recognition
Cons: nothing
Good experience. Learned about child welfare system. Excellent managers and case workers. Most enjoyable part of job was working with families in need.
You will be high disappointed
TREATMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2013
Pros: the children are wonderful!!!!
Cons: management, lack of flexibility to your schedule, high unmanageable case loads, delays in receiving travel reimbursement, management is inconsistent on expectations, low morale and a lack of professionalism.
National Youth Advocate Program is a disgrace to the child welfare system. The organization provides home-based services and foster care services that do not serve the best interest of the children. NYAP constantly violates state’s rules and regulations as it pertains to foster care. NYAP has several foster parents that have received multiple complaints in regards to licensing, which make it difficult to maintain children in these homes. NYAP will make TCs have caseloads that are over capacity and will not compensate TCs for any overtime worked The contract between NYAP and DCS states that caseloads for therapeutic case managers should be no more than 11, and when I was employed there on TC had 17 children on her caseload at one time. I also personal received 11 new cases in a 45 day period that I also put me over the 11 limit. NYAP managers are non-sympathetic and non-supportive to the needs of their employees; especially single mothers. They also seldom show staff appreciate or respect. While I was employed there, I received several emails from NYAP’s Indy regional manager that were disrespectful and unprofessional. NYAP’s management lacks any ethics or morals and they treat children as if they are expendable. They will do ANYTHING to get a portion of the child’s per diem even if it’s not in the best interest of the child. In Addition NYAP's management lacks managerial skills; they make reactive decisions based on their emotions rather than logical decisions that will benefit the agency. If you want to work in the child welfare system it would behoove to work with ANY other agency other than NYAP
Great mission and vision
CANEI Team Leader-Illinois (Current Employee), Chicago ILMarch 14, 2013
Pros: great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons: safety in the community
In order to get the best snapshot of working in child welfare, and being given the freedom and latitude to make a difference with underprivileged kids, NYAP is the place to work.
Great work location and near Route I57. Great locations to find food to eat. Sam Club and Walmart near by. Office supply stores also near by.
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee), Matteson, ILJuly 30, 2012
Management was only concerned about employees that had at least several years seniority with the agency. The co-workers were clickish and made it hard for new employees to become a part of the team. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the clients reach their goals both parents and minors. What I learned was how to work at the private agency level compared to the State of Illinois higher level of performance.
Great place to work except for the inadequate benefits
n/a (Current Employee), n/aNovember 22, 2011
Pros: great atmosphere, great cause, generally treats employees well
Cons: the healthcare benefits are bad
I love working here, and if you don't mind having a very high-deductible health insurance plan, I would highly recommend working here. But if you have health problems, think long and hard about it.

National Youth Advocate Program Salaries