National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Excellent work/life balance, stress free work environment
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAAugust 10, 2017
I work as a Treatment Coordinator for CANEI which is under the NYAP umbrella and they provide an excellent work/balance with great benefits. What's even better is the impact you are making on the youth and the relationships you're building with the Dept of Juvenile Justice. This is by far one of the best jobs I've had in regards to what I mentioned above in addition to the flexibility and the compensation is not bad.
Pros
Flexibility, work/life balance
Cons
Not in the office as much because you're in the field. But, you still have the opportunity to go to the office on your own time.
Very disappointed
Employee (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INAugust 10, 2017
The company will promise you everything and ask from you just as much. The countless hours of work really don't count toward anything with the what have you done for me lately mentally. With management more concerned with their circle of friends and adding members to the lunch bunch of select favorites there is little to no opportunity to succeed. Management will only work hard to do one thing and that is make themselves look better.
Pros
Cons
Working for NYAP
Not worth the higher pay
Employee (Former Employee) –  IndianaAugust 10, 2017
National Youth Advocate Program may pay well and have good benefits, but the advantages of the pay do not outweigh the negatives. You are expected to work 50+ hours a week. You can't take a vacation because you will get a call every day. The management also does not care about their employees. They talk about workers behind their back to other staff and will not have your back in any situation. National Youth Advocate Program also has a negative reputation in the community.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Everything else
Its a very mediocre place to work, there is no support and very little team in the divisions. The management is fair to poor and pay is poor.
Therapist/Counselor (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 28, 2017
Most places pay better than this organization. It was not a very supportive environment. I would not recommend it. It is a mediocre company with no room for advancement. There are numerous job openings all the time as once one comes you won't stay very long because of the culture.
Pros
they don't pay much attention to their employees at all, you are just a number.
Cons
poor pay, too much paperwork, trianing is nil, no support.
NYAP is a wonderful agency!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJuly 22, 2017
I work in the Columbus, Indiana office. I would never think of leaving this great agency. NYAP truly cares about their staff and supports a positive work/life balance. The compensation is much higher than that of other agencies within the area. NYAP is the preferred provider, due to the many services provided. They truly care about the children, families, and the foster families. I would highly recommend this agency to others!
Pros
Supportive management, competitive salary
Cons
None/great agency
An amazing place to work
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJuly 19, 2017
I have worked for NYAP for almost 5 years. I started as a home based worker, and over the years, have moved up to program supervisor. I have worked for a few different home based agencies over the years and I have said from day one that NYAP is the best. I look forward to going to work and I really enjoy all of the people that I work with. The team we have now is by far the best. They go out of their way to help each other out and will even cross programs to help out in times of need. I love the fact that my schedule is flexible and if I need to be gone from the office I can be. I appreciate that, not only are all of my co-workers very supportive, but that NYAP as an agency is supportive from the top down. I can't imagine working anywhere else!
Pros
Flexible work schedule, team atmosphere, opportunities to advance, comparable pay and benefits
terrible place to work for
anonymous (Former Employee) –  columbus indianaJuly 16, 2017
This is by far one of the worst places I have ever worked! Management is terrible and the expectations far exceed what should be considered normal. I was working 70-80 hours per week and was told I wasn't doing enough for the company. I was working three different job positions and was also told it wasn't "that hard " and I should be more successful. I was in a management position while also performing duties that were below my job description. Since NYAP can never maintain steady employees, everyone has to pick up the slack. People are overworked, underpaid, and undervalued. NYAP has a terrible reputation in the community as well as with other providers in the area and with DCS. Due to high turnover, clients are always being shuffled from one worker to the next. Additionally, the state director practice's are unethical and she consistently puts foster children in questionable foster homes just to keep the census up. DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!
Pros
Cons
everything
Stressful but sometimes rewarding
Therapist for NYAP (Former Employee) –  IndianaJuly 5, 2017
No day is like another. The hardest part is not always getting the outcome you hope for with clients. It can be stressful, and there are always new rules or new requirements or new paperwork to include or be mindful of.
Pros
Pretty flexible schedule
Cons
People not showing up consistently
Work in progress to improve themselves as a social service provider
Licensed Social Worker, Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 9, 2017
NYAP has its struggles like all agencies that are providing services to children and adolescents, but they are a work in progress constantly wanting to improve what they do for the children that are placed in their care. Improvements has been made with current management.
Pros
They take in consideration the concerns of staff.
Cons
improvements causes ongoing changes that can sometimes become overwhelming
Great place to work!
Treatment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHApril 18, 2017
I worked with the best people in the world. I learned a lot and enjoyed my job. I would recommend this job to anyone who is wanting to work with foster children and at risk youth.
Working on changing their name
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILApril 10, 2017
National Youth Advocate Program works with high end clients that are not easy to work with but deserve to be serviced and helped. The people that work there are committed to serving those clients.
Pros
Warm people working with purpose
Great agency to work for!
Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 2, 2017
NYAP Indiana truly lives the established mission, vision, and values. The team goes above and beyond to meet the needs of the children, foster parents, and clients. There is always opportunity for advancement if that is of interest. I feel extremely luck to be employed with such a wonderful company.
Pros
Strengths based, family oriented, opportunity for professional growth
Cons
No EMR
Great Work Environment
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 11, 2017
Incredible opportunities in the field of social work.
Manageable Hours
Good benefits and Wages
Family feel
Some traveling, but is reimbursable
Supportive supervisors
Great Place to do meaninguful work
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 28, 2017
NYAP lives and breathes it's mission to serve families and children. It is a quality place to learn evidenced based practice and trauma informed clinical principles. It is a team oriented environment with many caring and compassionate and innovative coworkers. There are many advancement opportunities. Management supports professional growth and transition into new roles that fit your strengths and passions. Work life balance is a difficult thing for most people in the helping profession because we struggle to turn it off. However supervisors and managers really support individuals finding this balance. I have worked at NYAP for 7 years and 17 years in a helping profession. One thing is sure if your focus is not the work it will not be the place for you. But if you have a passion that runs deep for advocacy, professional growth, team oriented environment and helping children and families to enhance strengths and find healing you will fit right in!
Pros
Professional development, flexibility, amazing clients, amazing team
Great Place to Learn and Work
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 12, 2017
NYAP is a fun and exciting place for you to spread your social work wings. You are able to help children and families in need. You are able to build and establish strong relationships with your foster families and children you work with. It helps build strong relationships with your colleagues where you grow and learn from one another.

It provides personal joy and satisfaction in helping a youth heal from significant trauma. You are able to help a family and child achieve permanency whether it's through reunification or adoption.

It's a family oriented atmosphere which promotes, growth, change, and innovation. It provides support and guidance and there is always someone willing to assist in need. The NYAP staff supports and encourages creativity and is always open to new ideas to help our youth and the families we serve.
Pros
Flexibilty, Establishing Good Relationships
Not helpful and deceptive mnanagement
Case Manager/Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 5, 2017
It appears to be user friendly and the training aspect is not good at all as the management does not help you in a appropriate manner so that you can learn the ropes and not make a mistake. They do not correct you they just up and fire you so be careful as they seem so user friendly and kind and really are not .
Pros
Cons
No lunch breaks or breaks in general - eat at you rdesk
Supportive team and productive
Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2016
I enjoy my time here at NYAP. This is a very good company to work for. They are very flexible with scheduling and and will assist in anyway they can to accommodate you needs.
Cons
compensation
Good social agency
Qualified Mental Health Specialist/Youth Avocate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2016
Don't think there is enough support for staff from managers.
Company will not pay for damages youth conflict on your personal property unless it exceeds over $ 5000.00 ,this includes your vehicle.
Pros
Nice to be able to help children in thier time of need.
Cons
Not enough support for the Youth leaders
Good Social Service Agency in NWI
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 27, 2016
The Merrillville office is a great place to work. It's very clean. The environment is peaceful and professional. Management is supportive. She is interested in your ideas, and ways to improve the company, and provide better service delivery to clients. Working in social work is very stressful period! This office promotes better work life balance and that's nice.
Pros
Unlimited learning and support
Cons
Some stress becuase of the type of work we do
Too much turn over in staff
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 3, 2016
I have been a foster parent for many years in NYAP, through this time staff is always changing. It is very hard to open our homes not only to youth, but also to NYAP staff, just to have them constantly leaving and being replaced. This is hard on foster parents and foster children. Upper management stop getting rid of our TC's to save your own butts. Pay these people more money and turn around not be so high.
Pros
There are always children to be placed.
Cons
Paperwork.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.

National Youth Advocate Program Reviews by Location