National Youth Advocate Program

National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Supportive team and productive
Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2016
I enjoy my time here at NYAP. This is a very good company to work for. They are very flexible with scheduling and and will assist in anyway they can to accommodate you needs.
Cons
compensation
Good social agency
Qualified Mental Health Specialist/Youth Avocate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2016
Don't think there is enough support for staff from managers.
Company will not pay for damages youth conflict on your personal property unless it exceeds over $ 5000.00 ,this includes your vehicle.
Pros
Nice to be able to help children in thier time of need.
Cons
Not enough support for the Youth leaders
Good Social Service Agency in NWI
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 27, 2016
The Merrillville office is a great place to work. It's very clean. The environment is peaceful and professional. Management is supportive. She is interested in your ideas, and ways to improve the company, and provide better service delivery to clients. Working in social work is very stressful period! This office promotes better work life balance and that's nice.
Pros
Unlimited learning and support
Cons
Some stress becuase of the type of work we do
Too much turn over in staff
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 3, 2016
I have been a foster parent for many years in NYAP, through this time staff is always changing. It is very hard to open our homes not only to youth, but also to NYAP staff, just to have them constantly leaving and being replaced. This is hard on foster parents and foster children. Upper management stop getting rid of our TC's to save your own butts. Pay these people more money and turn around not be so high.
Pros
There are always children to be placed.
Cons
Paperwork.
Baptism by Fire
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NYAP Cincinnati, OHSeptember 14, 2016
The mission statement is awesome, but the operations at Cincinnati is far from that. Management did not provide adequate training, Unrealistic expectations. Clinical Supervisor is very indecisive and is easily influenced by Regional Manager. Management covers themselves under all circumstances which includes firing you if you challenge them. Revolving door which will impact your caseload drastically. Interns are used mainly for transports. Forced to make almost every conversation a billable one. Money Hungry. Other counties have caught on and refuse to place youth with them.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Regional Manager, Clinical Supervisor, double standards, Paperwork
Just don't!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2016
Don't dare speak your mind or stand up for yourself.
Don't you dare get sick! Or you better start looking for another job.
The work load was very minimal not enough to get you through a work day.
Favoritism is high.
Management can leave for a 3hour lunch but you are gone 30 minutes it's a no no!
I worked at the Cincinnati location and they wonder why their turn over rate is so high and they can't keep homes and have a bad name in the community.
Some front office staff has too much on their plate while others has barely nothing to do.
Knowledge of employees seems to be lacking!
Pros
Light work load, flexible schedule, other staff is good
Cons
Not enough work, double standard, rude
Run, run fast, away from this company!!!
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 25, 2016
I worked in Columbus, Ohio at 5 different houses (due to staff quitting so often). My "boss" (if that's what you wanna call her) was horrible. She was very quick to throw someone under the bus, was never available when her staff needed her, had staff falsify documents and her lies caught up with her and she was demoted from house manager to youth advocate. She would steal products that were meant for the youth at the house. The money was mediocre & the management only cared about themselves. So glad I left when I did.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Incompetent staff and house managers
Opportunities to learn about child welfare that you can take anywhere you go
Family Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 18, 2016
I overall enjoyed my time with this company and enjoyed my fellow co-workers (case managers) very much. There was comraderie among us and we knew each other personally. The expectations that the management team had for us is what led to me leaving. The caseloads are high and there was little time and attention spent on balancing it all which leads to burn out. I unfortunately saw a lot of great employees leave which is sad because they were truly great people. You will gain skills, insight, knowledge, and learn a lot about human services in this position which I'm grateful for because it has helped me in my current position.
Pros
Team members (other case managers) stick together and are there for each other
Cons
Unrealistic expectations for case managers
NYAP cares about their employees and helps them advance.
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45432May 17, 2016
I have been with NYAP for 25 years this Fall. I have had the opportunity to be promoted through the years to various positions as a gained experience, growth and education.
NYAP is very flexible. I enjoy working for the organization.
I enjoy the staff and management. NYAP reflects its mission.
In my 25 years, I have seen many staff leave and eventually return to NYAP. The grass is not always greener.
I am proud to be part of the NYAP family.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff, foster youth and foster families. Hardest part of the job is the documentation, however you get this anywhere. It is social work.
I want to retire from NYAP.
Pros
staff
Cons
paperwork
let down
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMay 13, 2016
I interned with NYAP and was offered position of treatment coordinator at a different location. I was very excited since this was my first job out of school. The new location was new and there was a lack of structure and supervision, understandably, but months passed and nothing changed. For the actual work itself, I shadowed this position at my internship site but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had a supervisor that insisted that I have my work phone turned on 24/7, even on weekends, and EVEN ON VACATION! I was told that, if I wanted to show that I cared about my foster parents and children, I should be available any time. I also had to tell my supervisor when I would be going out of town (on the weekends) so she would know where I would be. I had to drive out to homes weekly/monthly that were up to an hour drive away - not to mention, working with DCS as a fostercare agency was a nightmare. My supervisor did not care about the children, leaving it up to me to receive all the problems/complaints from foster parents regarding the kids. My supervisor was only concerned with her own advancement. There were absolutely no boundaries and I did not know how, or if, I could set them. I was talked down to constantly. I brought these concerns up to upper management, which was not in our office location, and they were sympathetic but totally unhelpful. I was too excited to put in my 2 weeks but was even used/abused during those last 2 weeks.
Pros
They paid well for mileage
Stay away as far as you can!!!!
Former Treatment coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 27, 2016
Do you like working 13 hour days? Do you like working for a poor management who won't hesitant to throw you under the bus instead of admitting their mistakes, or possibly outing you in front of your co-workers during group meetings? Do you like constantly meeting new co-workers because the previous ones quit every 2 months? Do you like being lead on in job advancement for 2+ years just to get no where? If you answered yes to these questions then by all means NYAP is the place for you. If not please stay away from this company as far away as you can. This agencies management is a joke, and their HR department must be nonexistent given the many cries there have been from TCs past and present for change just for nothing to be done. This agency has been under investigation from different counties over the last couple of years, and still no chnages have been made. This agencies ship hit an iceberg a while ago, and has been slowly sinking ever since. I can't stress enough the importance to stay away from this agency!!
Pros
Some amazing foster parents and kids, and amazing co-workers
Cons
High demands and high stress
Family Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2016
This job was made out to be something it is not. Several of the coordinators I work with are also frustrated and looking for jobs elsewhere. Not only are the case loads inconsistent which causes issues with your paycheck, but the most frustrating part aside from the management, is the unrealistic expectations for the coordinators. One example of unrealistic expectations is expecting extensive documentation to be completed and turned in within 3 days in addition to spending most of the day in meetings and conferences. This means the only time to complete documentation is at home in the evening. The coordinators are often mistaken for the caseworker because of how heavily involved we are and how much NYAP expects from us. It is a very high stress job with a high turn-over. In all honesty, the worst part about the job is the Region 1 Supervisor's lack of professionalism and passive aggressive behavior. This job has potential, but with out-of-pocket expenses, no compensation or benefits, unrealistic expectations, and weak leadership, it has placed too much stress on many of the coordinators and their families.
Pros
Working with the families
Cons
Unprofessional leadership and unrealistic expectations
Opportunity to make a difference
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 12, 2016
With any organization, there are pros and cons, but a significant factor to me, when choosing an employer. is intention and service. Overall, this company meets this. Is everything/everyone perfect? Absolutely not, but I find them to be open to suggestions and committed to making a real difference in the lives of the people served. I believe that you get out what you put in.
Pros
Flexibility, culture of caring
Cons
Training/leadership development, consistency
transportation aid for nyap of Dayton
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 23, 2016
Great management , good case workers , communication is good , pay is great. Couldn't ask for a better job. You drive your own car , get paid milage and hourly . You stay full of work. You work your own hours. Pick up the transport you want. The other transport aids are good to work with. Forster parents are all nice that I have met . I liked the company so much I became a foster parent myself.
Pros
to many to put down
Cons
i honestly dont see any
was able to meet a lot of different people
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsburg, INOctober 1, 2015
loved working with the children and families
little training for the job
lack of management
on call all the time with a work phone and foster parents could call at any time of day or night
learned to conduct in home inspections for families with foster children
Pros
the families and children I worked with
Cons
management
great job!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 2, 2015
Great and supportive environment.
everyone works hard.
Learned about time management
and organization.
Flexible. able to work on your own time. the amount of pay is not enough to compensate the for the mileage put on a car and down time.
Pros
great people
Cons
the amount of work for worker is not compensated well.
This job will teach you case management, child welfare, foster care, and juvenile justice system
Family Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2015
A typical day at NYAP requires you to be in the field/community 80 percent of the day. You will have very limited hours in the office to complete the abundance of required paperwork/documentation. This job will put a lot of mileage on your personal vehicles with low mileage reimbursement. There is limited mobility and advancement at this job due to lack of managerial positions. The worst part of this job is the health and retirement benefits. The best part of this job is that it prepares you for any job in child welfare.
Pros
high level of experience.
Cons
high level of stress with lack of compenstation.
Highly stressful
Treatment Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ILJuly 27, 2015
Terrible work environment. Very stressful and no backup for corporate office. High caseload with no help. Take in too many clients with no staff to service them.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
healthcare, managment
Work place is comfortable and amenable.
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 20, 2015
Overall, my experience with the company has been very
gratifying. NYAP has proven to be deeply committed to
the care and protection of its clients, and exemplifies a
high professional standard.
Pros
Good company activities.
Cons
Excessive travel.
Great place to work and learn!
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMay 4, 2015
I learned so much while interning at NYAP that will help me further my social work career at the bachelor level. I learned the responsibilities of all of the different positions in this agency and was very welcomed and helped by all of my colleagues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9