Nationwide Financial Employee Reviews

An excellent, challenging place to work.
Business Requirements Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 13, 2017
The project I worked on at Nationwide was in flight when I joined, and it took some time to work through access issues to reporting systems which were not addressed in before on-boarding began. The pace is rapid, but not excessive, and the team was supportive.
Nationwide
Annuity Analyst, Internal Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2017
Nationwide is a great company to work for, I have really enjoyed all of the people and experiences that I have met while working. This a great company with people that make it great.
Worked as a temp
Data Entry Contractor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 7, 2017
I worked as a data entry temp through one of their contracting services. The environment at Nationwide was relaxed and conducive to producing good results. The training was sufficient and useful in the accomplishment of the task at hand. If I had anything negative to say about the experience, it was that after I temped for a few weeks and we completed our assignment, I discovered that they have a company policy banning me from temping again for six months. I had hoped to move into a position within the company given enough experience and familiarity with the company and available positions.
Daily Activities
Regional Vice President (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2017
Directly responsible for sale of Variable, Fixed Indexed, Alternative and Immediate Annuity products in the Wirehouse and Regional firms for Indiana and Kentucky. Additionally,conducted sales meetings with Financial advisors to provide solution for their clients to help them prepare for and live in retirement.
Great work environment
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 10, 2017
Great place to work and the culture is outstanding. You felt proud to say you worked for a Fortune 500 company. Nationwide is known as an insurance company but has made real gains in the last few years in retirement plans. Nationwide administers more 457 plans than any other company.
Great foot in the door.
Account Executive. Ohio Deferred Compensation (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2017
I started as a financial services analyst in February of 2015. The training was great, I went from knowing nothing about finances, to passing my Series 6 exam, and also being knowledgeable about retirement plans within a matter of months. The benefits are great, but there's a lack of guidance in terms of career advancement. When you're taking back to back phone calls all day (50-80 calls a day), it's hard to find time to put an effort into applying for jobs, finding opportunities to job shadow, when there isn't a lot of feedback in terms of helping you find your next step from management. I will say, however, in terms of working for my managers at this job, they've all been easy to work with and talk to about job specific items.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers.
Cons
Back to back phone calls, lack of positive reinforcement.
A steady decline
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2017
The company has turned from producing quality products to appeasing whatever management is in place. The company is actively going through a culture change and they are not shy about eschewing associates that don't fit that mold, which does not get clearly defined.

IT has moved to a matrixed, plug and play model, which creates a disconnect with management, does not allow for time to develop within a project long term for many, and creates general discontent.
Pros
Work/life balance, decent health insurance
Cons
Difficult to advance, pay increases are miniscule and obfuscated
Awesome company boring work
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 21, 2017
I love nationwide , it's an awesome job to have but if you're not interested in life insurance or the work it can be boring. They kind of bullly you into taking the series 6 because they want you to go to sales . I would love to see them work more on placing you in positions that you're interested in within the company.
Pros
Open to work / life balance, weekends off
Cons
Series 6, no set schedule
Great workculture and work friendly, environment
Test Automation Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 5, 2017
comfortable and flexible Work culture.
Learned to automate the mainframe application front end, come up with a strategy to over come maintenance of the application.
Nice place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 28, 2017
It is a nice place to work. But like many companies the raises are not that much. No matter how hard you work. It doesn't seem that it show in the raise that you will receive.

Want to know more about Nationwide Financial?

Ask a question
Resistant to true change
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHMay 28, 2017
Although in the midst of business transformation, the cycle of implementing new platforms and admin systems without data conversion and with little to no new innovation continues. Lean transformation efforts will reduce workforce in some areas, but negative attrition is being ignored.

The Insurance Industry is changing more rapidly than the existing technology can accommodate. Nationwide needs to be less risk averse and try to get ahead of the competition.
Cons
Negative attrition will continue
Very Conservative company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 25, 2017
partners in other departments who help to process business are often times unreliable and sometimes unethical. such a conservative company, people get lazy and don't do their job, making it harder for you to do your job.
Pros
other people you work around with are enjoyable
Great People
Annuity Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 25, 2017
Great training program with coworkers of the same personality-- outgoing, friendly, with a desire to help each other succeed. Management uses a coaching style to assist with promoting good behaviors and ending bad ones. Lots of resources available but need to be focused if you want to move on to a certain area.
Pros
Engaged employees
Cons
45 min Lunch
productive and fun culture
Internal Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 18, 2017
nationwide all about the workplace culture. They are all about fun and making the workplace a young and vibrant place to work at. The management wants to see you grow into the goals you've set for yourself
Nationwide Financial
Regional Internal Consultant / M Financial (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 9, 2017
Nationwide is great company to work for. They care deeply about the development of their employees, and will typically promote from within. One of the only places I think Nationwide can improve is on job training. They take more of sink or swim mentality and you are forced to learn on the job.

I would recommend Nationwide to anyone looking for a corporate job, that is flexible, has a great laid back work culture, and has the ability to climb the corporate ladder as long as you put in the work.
Safe, Steady Employer
Lead Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2017
large company, reasonable hours, good salary, but I saw lots of bad people getting promoted over the years. Office politics plays too big a role and I witnessed alot of good workers leave because too many games were being played by those in power.
Pros
solid salary, reasonable hours
Cons
office politics play too large a role
A day at work
Financial Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 23, 2017
Work was simple and only heavy around certain times of the year. I worked for the company for 11 years, and took on different types of task. There were times it was a lot of fun and a lot of engagement.
Exciting
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  ColumbusMarch 20, 2017
Coordinates, reviews, approves and processes all post issue financial and non financial requests

Provides input in developing and maintaining procedures
Completes technical quality review/audits for new business processing and administrative transactions

Trains new employees to achieve productivity standards defined by the operations department

Knowledge of NQDC products and what the plan designs have to offer clients

Receives and responds to inquires, administration requests, and issue resolution matters
Pros
Challenging work hours
Great people
Life (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 6, 2017
Friendly atmosphere, great people to work with and good systems to support the work. Measurement expectations are attainable but seems to be more metric driven than quality of work.
Customer Service Analyst
Customer Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 15, 2017
It was in the Investment Life Department. I really loved the benefits. Haven't had any better. I would love to be back working for them. The job was very stressful at times though. It was very upbeat and you had to deal with a lot of irate people.