Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,069 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work at, Easy going envioronment.
Randstad Temp (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 6, 2016
Typical workday consist of indexing insurance policies to make sure that the policy holder information matches policy number. I am also cross trained to scan documents into server to be indexed out, as well as maintaining proper retention schedules to make sure documents never backed up.
Cons
Contractor, so im a temp worker, with no benfits.
Horrible place to work, it should be against the law to require employees to work more than 40 hours without compensation
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 18, 2016
Run for your life. I gave them a one star because I could not give them no stars. I would rather be unemployed then work here! Balance there is no balance here it is all self preservation. They could care less if you ever left your desk. They give you 20 claims on Monday and then anywhere from 5 more daily to another 20. They don't give a hoot about anything except customer service survey scores.
Pros
nothing
Cons
read my survey
Large company with growing pains and leadership deficiencies in certain areas
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMay 18, 2016
Overall the company has great potential. It is going through a re-branding process while merging operations. Right now they are shedding older staff. It is difficult to advance unless one has connections. Management is very "clubbish" and it is difficult to break into positions without the backing of upper management leaders. Supervisors and lower level managers are often not well versed in leadership techniques.
Pros
Strong financially.
Productive and fun
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHJuly 9, 2016
In our very busy office we still make time to have a little fun and its more like family then co workers. Management is extremely caring and understanding, the hardest part of my day is time management and the the most enjoyable part of my job is helping people and knowing i have covered all their needs
Pros
location and laid back environment
Cons
health care and pay
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 10, 2016
I loved my time at Nationwide. They work hard at providing some great team building activities. There is also a very diverse set of people there. I really appreciated that they created an atmosphere of inclusivity. They are also very supportive of non-profit participation and typically provide some time to devote towards charity activities.
Pros
Fair compensation and bonus structure, Good work/life balance, no micromanagement
Cons
Career Advancement will likely require relocation
Zero life/work balance.
Senior Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 9, 2016
I worked for NW non-standard which means that the insured is a bad driver with a bad record of accidents. From what I was told by the people who work in standard it is a nice place to work however non-standard is the pits. If they could make you work 25 hours a day, they would do so. The manager of non-standard is trying to get ahead in the company and therefore she drives everyone to work as much as possible so that she looks good by getting more work done with less employees. DO NOT accept a job at non-standard.
Great Opportunity for Producers to Enter Insurance Industry
Associate Agent/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 10, 2016
I think that provided more opportunity, more branding, more publicity, the job could have been much better. Recognition always motivates people. Rewards are great incentives.
Pros
Flexibility, bonuses, meeting people
Cons
chargebacks, rate increases, lack of advancement, non-steady pay
Fun place to work, room for advancement!
Direct National Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2016
Nationwide is a very good company to work for, they truly care about their employees, and offer great benefits. A typical day would consist of taking inbound calls, providing quotes, and doing some outbound calls to follow up on previously quoted customers. Nationwide focus is on consultative selling.
Pros
Compensation, contest and award programs, flexible schedules
Great work/life balance
Director, SQA Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 28, 2016
They invest in their associates with necessary training.
Takes a while to navigate if you are new.

Responsible for software quality assurance for a diversified portfolio of applications supporting production operations and build processes. Application support covered lead data management, tagging, mobile support, and Nationwide.com deployment which includes marketing and rewards programs. Components of the role include requirements management, software/system testing, analytics, and release management, all while maintaining the functional integrity of the applications, and controlling product and process quality.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
passive/aggressive culture
Laidback and enjoyable work environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, TNApril 27, 2016
A typical work day consisted of answering phones and taking payments. The beginning of the month was the busiest time, but it was always manageable. The office manager was very efficient and kept everyone on track. My co-workers were pleasant and supportive. The hardest part of my job was dealing with people whose rates had increased without explanation. The most enjoyable part of my job was having a set schedule with weekends off and paid holidays.
Pros
Smaller office with fewer employees
Cons
Unpredictable boss

Want to know more about Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company?

Ask a question
Excellent company! I highly recommend to anyone looking to get into insurance or the corporate environment.
PC Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 21, 2016
I worked at Nationwide for five years. In that time I held four different titles and double my pay. This is a company where you can really apply yourself and create a career path that suits your skills and needs.
People interactions are always going to be both challenging and rewarding. With a positive attitude you will have the opportunity to de-escalate tense customer interactions. Being a part of a company that helps people during some of life's toughest struggles (the loss of a home, vehicle, even loved one), will provide a deep sense of purpose.
Great company and good people to work with. Flexible company.
Claims Manager, Commercial (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 3, 2016
The typical work day is fast pace. I managed a staff of 7 specialist, reviewing files and coverage's for accuracy which included quarterly audits for compliance of best practices and un-fair claims practices. Most days were intense and stressful but fun.
Pros
Not being micro managed. Good benefits.
Cons
No breaks except for lunch and benefits.
Growing Company
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 18, 2016
During my 14 years of employment with this company I saw many changes and quite a bit of growth. The employees went from feeling like family to feeling like just a number on a spreadsheet. Unfortunately Nationwide's growth included opening and closing offices all of the country and centralizing and decentralizing different job roles on multiple occasions. The company downsizes its field employees with each change all while encouraging those same employees to work on personal development.
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 9, 2016
A typical day is busy, but that is fine, I personally enjoy keeping my mind active and cannot stand to not have anything to do. Management is supportive and encourage us to continue self improvement. The hardest part of the job at this time, is my department is being relocated to another state and not very many co-workers are going.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Relocation
Great management
Material Damage Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2016
There isn't a day that goes by that I regret leaving Nationwide. Great management and employees. Pay was ok but for Central PA was better than most. If you work here or are planning to here is some advice. Stay! The job is demanding and requires a certain skill set. But the rewards outweigh the long hours. Good people and I miss having authority over my decisions and pride in my work.
Pros
Performance based reviews
Cons
Long hours.
Great Opportunity
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
Working at Nationwide is very beneficial. The management is excellent. The time frame of resolving issues is fairly prompt. The job is very enjoyable because it keeps you engaged. I like the cross training of the job the most because it makes you more versatile as well as learning the job the supervisors are great at reviewing and training as often as needed to help you succeed.
Pros
Lunch hour, times flies by because your always busy
Cons
Healthcare is a little expensive
Stable opportunities for shifting careers horizontally
Director, Data Management and Analytics (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 3, 2016
The company is in the midst of a significant expense reduction strategy that limits advancement opportunities for high performers.
Pros
Tremendous facilities
Cons
Few advancement opportunities. Expense initiative are impacting employee engagement
I enjoyed working for this company. They are top-notch!
Sr. Support Analyst, Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 4, 2016
Allowed to work with all levels of management, as well as outside vendors and their representatives.

Nationwide allowed growth within the individual and encourage this in their business model.

I developed a MRSA Staph Infection due to back surgery, and they were supportive during this time, by allowing me to work from home after my release from the hospital and learning to walk again. However, this necessitated an early retirement after 15 years of service when I had difficulty walking from the parking garage to the offices. This also is the reason for the lapse in my career from 2002 to returning to work in 2013. The Drs. said I would never walk again, but I did!
Pros
Understanding, compensation
Cons
Great company to work for
CA Field Claim Specialist II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 14, 2016
Great company to work for. Hard to be promoted within the same job role. If you are mobile there is more growth opportunity. The people here are wonderful and appreciate hard working dedicated individuals. Great benefits as well.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great people
Cons
Internal promotions are hard to achieve in the same job role, small raises from year to year
Great work life balance
Contracted Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 19, 2016
Good place to work, the interview process was short due to the fact it was for a temporary contracting position. The compensation was fantastic. I appreciated the workspace provided for me as well as the laptop. Lot's of little perks that makes working there fun with young professionals. It's located downtown so plan on paying for parking.

Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Reviews by Location