Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company

Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,038 reviews matching the search
Great co-workers/benefits, management not so much
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 26, 2016
Nationwide offers great benefits and co-workers are wonderful. I work with a very diverse group of people and there is always someone there to help and offer support.

The company advertises work/life balance which was one aspect that I was looking for in a company. This did not turn out to be the case as there is no work life balance. My balance is if they want me to work, I have to balance the rest of my life around my job. I guess that's what they mean in their job postings.

Management also does not care about each employee but rather is the department hitting their numbers and making a profit to make them look good. They try to do things like offer small gift cards or bring in cheap lunches to "buy" happiness. What they don't realize that it means nothing without respecting their employees. We don't want additional income and we don't want material things. We would appreciate more important things like respect and taking our concerns seriously.
Pros
co-workers, benefits
Cons
management, no room for advancement
Learning experience
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAJune 25, 2016
I learned how to have excellent communication skills- also great customer service. These things helped sales be effortless, because it came natural.
Pros
interaction with people
Cons
Good place to work - most of the time.
Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 24, 2016
Nice place to work if you can find good management. Is a company that has good benefits so it is typical to find people who have been in the company for 15 plus years but it is also typical for them to be micro-managers that are afraid of change.
Great overall environment
Sr. Analyst- IT Process Management (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 22, 2016
I love the Nationwide feel overall. Mentorship and career development are promoted company wide- however I am currently not receiving this in my area partially due to management time constraints.
Employment at Nationwide
Non-Injury Liability Claims Adjustor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 20, 2016
I really enjoyed the nearly 3 years of employment at Nationwide. While the job would at times would be high stress and volume, there was also opportunities to interact with co-workers. I learned how to work on a high claim volume at a high pace.
Sr. Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 15, 2016
Learned several new technologies, good processes, made good friends. Enjoyed working in agile teams. Very helpful boss and colleagues too
Nationwide
Master Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Tidewater, VAJune 13, 2016
Top 100 company to work for, Able to work from Home.Local & regional management would listen,Co-workers were fantastic and I am still friends with many of them
Excellent working environment
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2016
Nationwide is a good company with the potential to be a great company. Nationwide is currently going through a lot of change in order to be prepared for 2020 vision. There is a lot of growth and advancement opportunities within Nationwide if you are mobile.
Wonderful place to work
Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 3, 2016
This is a great place to work and the employees are like family. The building is amazing and the hanger is very clean. Just top notch people and down to earth.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Some times slow
Stable opportunities for shifting careers horizontally
Director, Data Management and Analytics (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 3, 2016
The company is in the midst of a significant expense reduction strategy that limits advancement opportunities for high performers.
Pros
Tremendous facilities
Cons
Few advancement opportunities. Expense initiative are impacting employee engagement
Exellent Compant for any person to work for.
Lead Claims/Correspondence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 2, 2016
Best company to work for. Exellent work environment, Greatcorporate benefits, programs and averall win-win company for its employees. A place to gain a lot of insurance knowledge.
Avoid working here
Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 1, 2016
Once you have worked here long enough, the cool aid no longer works. Management is clueless about anything but having higher numbers than other managers at any cost. Pay is deplorable, and they will try to give you a song and dance line about "pay zones" and promises for pay to improve. Pay "ranges" always improve but not actual pay, raises can go as startlingly high as 2% annually! Pay many of your work expenses out of your own pocket unless you are an executive. Used to be OK, but have nationally been laying off and rehiring to reduce pay among more experienced workforce. Promotions Of significance are few and far between. Mandatory volunteerism and donations (there is an actual list of how much you give to corporate backed fundraising). And they preach work/life balance but refuse to hire or pay employees to make this a reality: deflated salaries, direction to do ethically questionable things (not "technically" illegal just unethical), and unrealistic workloads. Did I mention management is terrible? No management accountability so expect to shoulder all the blame for your boss. Very male dominated good old boys mentality the higher up the chain you go. Also not as inclusive as advertised. Mandatory engagement survey witch hunts. And benefits are cut annually, and still somehow increase in employee cost contributions; which cause a negative annual salary impact for most employees. after factoring in your potential 2% increase and 4-5% annual benefit cost increase expect to make an additional -2% to -5% per year (not kidding). Avoid working for or with them if at all possible!
Pros
none comparatively
Cons
Name it
Nationwide is a great company
Iteration Manager / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 1, 2016
I fully endorse Nationwide's as an employer. Their pay is competitive and it embraces career development. I encourage college grads to apply to learn about IT and the insurance industry.
Sales
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2016
Awesome team members here. Everyone seems to motivate everyone. Supervisors care about you and your work and constantly follow up with you on how you are doing.
Cons
hours
Excellent Service
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXMay 25, 2016
This is an excellent company to work for. I enjoyed the diversity of the clientele as well as the employees. I would recommend this company to any strong and motivated candidates.
Great job
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 20, 2016
Great company to work for, they provide great training and you have a lot of potential with this company. Depending on your principal agent your growth potential can be unlimited with hard work.
Highly productive and learning environment. Work life balance is critical to Nationwide.
Senior IT Recruiting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 20, 2016
I was with Nationwide for seven years. The work was stimulating and challenging. They are a company of integrity and fairness.
Pros
Excellent integrity
Good company
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 19, 2016
The days were long and strenuous but rewarding. I learned a lot about the insurance industry and closing sales. Work culture was a little hindered due to micromanaging but overall good.
Large company with growing pains and leadership deficiencies in certain areas
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMay 18, 2016
Overall the company has great potential. It is going through a re-branding process while merging operations. Right now they are shedding older staff. It is difficult to advance unless one has connections. Management is very "clubbish" and it is difficult to break into positions without the backing of upper management leaders. Supervisors and lower level managers are often not well versed in leadership techniques.
Pros
Strong financially.
Horrible place to work, it should be against the law to require employees to work more than 40 hours without compensation
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 18, 2016
Run for your life. I gave them a one star because I could not give them no stars. I would rather be unemployed then work here! Balance there is no balance here it is all self preservation. They could care less if you ever left your desk. They give you 20 claims on Monday and then anywhere from 5 more daily to another 20. They don't give a hoot about anything except customer service survey scores.
Pros
nothing
Cons
read my survey