The Business Sherpa Group is currently looking for an experienced Packaging Engineer for one of our telecommunications clients based in the New York City metropolitan area. Reporting to the Chief Strategist and Architect, the incumbent will lead and manage interactions with a packaging partner/contract manufacturer (PP/CM) to develop packages for a variety of photonic integrated circuits (PICs).
Duties & Responsibilities
- As packaging lead for the PIC team and customer of the PP/CM, direct and oversee the design of a package for a leading-edge photonic integrated circuit module, including multiple fiber and high-speed RF connections
- Work with PP/CM to develop the module assembly process flow, transitioning the module into volume manufacturing
- Work with PP/CM to develop prototype packages at various stages of the project in order to test and evaluate the proposed package
- Assist in developing a plan for qualification of chips, sub-modules (as appropriate) and the final packaged assembly, suitable for the telecom carrier market
- Using software models, validate the predictions of the PP/CM on the structural and thermal integrity of the package, expected variation in optical coupling loss, RF losses and crosstalk, etc.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team to source, characterize and qualify optical and electrical components within the package
- Post-graduate education in a relevant engineering discipline, such as Electrical Engineering, Physics or Materials Science
- Minimum of 5 years experience designing and managing optical fiber packaging of single-mode photonic components with RF and thermal issues, such as directly-modulated laser diodes
- Extensive experience project managing the transition of new products to third party manufacturing operations
- Extensive experience managing contract manufacturers and supply chain relationships
- Thorough understanding of lenses, optical fiber and micro-optic design
- Experience with software tools for modeling optics (Zemax, Optiwave or Oslo), RF transmission lines (HFSS, DS, FDTD, SPICE), thermal and stress management of multiple materials and components (Ansys, Flotherm) and physical design (APD from Cadence, UPD from Sigrity, ProEng or AutoCAD).
- Excellent communication skills
- Broad and deep technical expertise and experience in various packaging approaches
- Reliability and qualification experience
- Direct experience with silicon photonics
Compensation: Competitive salary and full range of benefits
Travel: Up to 25%
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and willing to submit to drug testing and background checks.
About the Client
Based in metro NYC, with remote technology teams in Ottawa and elsewhere, our client is an advanced technology company within an established international parent company in the telecommunications space.